Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Prey Triton Solution

3D Realms (thanks Frans) offers an update for customers who purchased Prey through Triton, announcing 2K will be mailing a boxed copy of Human Head's shooter to those who bought the game online through Triton, since such copies are currently non-functional (story). Here's word:

As those of you who purchased Prey through Triton are by now aware, the service is no longer functioning. This is an unfortunate happening, but we do have some good news for all of those who bought Prey through the Triton service.

2K has set up a replacement program for customers who purchased Prey via the Triton download service. A new boxed copy of Prey will be shipped to each customer who purchased the game via Triton, DiStream or www.playtriton.com, as Triton is undergoing a reorganization process and copies downloaded from the service may not function properly. There is no action required on the part of the purchaser. Boxed copies will be mailed automatically to the credit card address on file. Thank you for your patience during this interim period; we look forward to getting affected customers back up and playing Prey as soon as possible.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Replacement Prey copies Oct 12, 2006, 03:07 Riley Pizt

It is not tied into Triton installations in any way.
So the only online authentication for the retail version of Prey is for the multiplayer mode?

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 03:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Replacement Prey copies Oct 12, 2006, 00:28  dopefish 

The boxed copies that will be shipped to customers is the same thing that you would get if you walked into the stores and bought it yourself off the shelf.

It is not tied into Triton installations in any way.

Joe Siegler
3D Realms

29. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 16:29 sponge

Please tell me ... How do i play a game WITHOUT any auth. servers online, if the game requires at least one successful connection?

Online Authentification sucks!!!

I'm talking about the boxed version of Prey. I have no experience with the Triton version. prey.exe requires 0 successful connections. If there IS an internet connection, it will attempt to auth and deny you with a warezed/invalid key. If it can't find the server, then it allows you to play, but not online.

Absolutes suck!!!

28. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 14:16 nin

The boxed copy may be especially designed to only work with versions already authenticated through Triton.

Doubt it. And they have to account for people that might have uninstalled/removed the Triton files from their system (say a reload, or to free up space)...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. No subject Oct 11, 2006, 13:40 Ratty

Stupid question. Is there any way to buy a version of Prey that does not require any online authentication of any kind? The boxed copy may be especially designed to only work with versions already authenticated through Triton.

26. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 11:47 Riley Pizt

It is incredibly awesome of 3dRealms to do this, especially considering how quickly they are getting the ball rolling on it.
The Triton service has been down since at least September 28. I wouldn't call waiting 12 days just to announce a solution "quick."

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 11:53.

25. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 11:43 Riley Pizt

A lack of basic fact-checking on your part
It is YOU who should check your facts. A Triton customer first reported on September 28 on the 3DRealms forum that the system was offline ( http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=420557&postcount=724 ). And, it has been offline since that time. Therefore, by the time replacement copies of the game are delivered to Triton customers, several weeks will have passed. Those facts are why I wrote "weeks after the fact" in my post.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 12:09.

24. Re: Yes, weeks. Oct 11, 2006, 11:39 Riley Pizt

which might explain why the rather fast solution provided less than four days after Triton went down, not "weeks after the fact."
A Triton customer first reported on September 28 on the 3DRealms forum that the system was offline ( http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=420557&postcount=724 ). And, it has been offline since that time. Therefore, by the time replacement copies of the game are delivered to Triton customers, several weeks will have passed.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 11:50.

23. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 11:17 Kajetan

The online auth allows you to play offline still if it can't contact the auth server.

Please tell me ... How do i play a game WITHOUT any auth. servers online, if the game requires at least one successful connection?

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 11:17.

22. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 09:38 sponge

The online auth allows you to play offline still if it can't contact the auth server. Online, it's the same system id has been using since 1999.

21. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 05:16 Kajetan

It is incredibly awesome of 3dRealms to do this

Yes, it is. But what about the other customers? Do they get a free copy of the game they bought too?

20. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 03:24 PHJF

Max Payne was 10-25 hours long (17 myself)

Max Payne 2 was 5-15 hours long (7 myself)

Doom 3 was a long FPS... too bad it was all the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
until hell

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 02:41 Jerykk

Max Payne was 5 hours long? I'd really like to see where people get these numbers. I highly doubt anyone beat Max Payne in 5 hours on their first try without skipping through cutscenes and such.

And Max Payne wasn't an FPS, it was a third-person shooter.

18. No subject Oct 11, 2006, 02:36 Icewind

Sadly, I was just thinking of uninstalling Prey a couple days ago. It takes up 2GB, and that can be better used on the upcoming NWN2 or Bioshock. The only reason I kept it THIS long was due to me foolishly believing they might announce an expansion pack. Guess not.

Max Payne was another 5 hour long FPS, but at least it had some variation and substance. Shame you don't run into good 20 hour FPS epics like Far Cry and Unreal 1 too often.

17. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 02:23 Prez

If anyone getting the boxed copy doesn't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

prezioso@earthlink.net

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 00:57 MeatForce

stupid tree.
This comment was edited on Oct 11, 01:04.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

15. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 00:57 MeatForce

Is anyone even still playing Prey?
Does anyone consider playing it ever again?

What a boring game that was.

I liked it well enough to play through the singleplayer just to see some of the cool things they did with the engine, but I absolutely cannot imagine playing through it a second time.. not ever; the game itself was amazingly boring. And in no small part due to their "revolutionary" Nev-r-Die™ spirit-world mechanic, which just totally destroyed any sense of tension that might have been in there. Boss fights in particular were hopelessly stupid because of it.

But they really did get that engine to do some funky stuff every now and then.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

14. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 00:09 Jerykk

Don't really see why anyone would be in a rush to get their boxed copies. The game is less than 10 hours long and can be beaten in a day. Anyone who bought it off Triton has surely beaten it already. As for multiplayer, don't think anybody even plays that.

13. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 00:07 PHJF

Is anyone even still playing Prey?
Does anyone consider playing it ever again?

What a boring game that was.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: EMail Oct 11, 2006, 00:00 Masa

Well, for all that it's worth, anyone who bought the game via download was aware of the potential for a service going down. And while that's no excuse for denial of a service, a solution has been provided, lest you have to wait a few days to receive it.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo