Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 2142 Demo

The complicated BF2142 demo release schedule has imploded, and the sample of DICE's futuristic military shooter sequel is now widely available with EA's blessing. The download is available from 3D Gamers, 3D Downloads, ActionTrip, Computer Games, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), FZ.se, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), Internode Games Network, Strategy Informer, and VGPRO.

View
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

130. ZERO stars Oct 17, 2006, 01:21 chili pepper

This game has a serious lack of imagination, with much less content than any of the previous BF gsames.

For one, I want to know why the hell do the weapons and equipment in the year 2142 work exactly the same way as they do in the present!!??

Man, this game is total crap!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: It's quite fun Oct 13, 2006, 23:38 CreamyBlood

No doubt. I've avoided the last three generations of hardware or so and have just been catching up on all the oldies. (Relatively speaking). It's almost like the current generation of 'people' are already conditioned to expect less than spectacular results for their software purchases.

I've been fortunate enough to have caught up on everything with all patches applied and have enjoyed my experience.

Hearing about the crap from a year ago in BF2 and seeing people basically hack the beta apart is a no sale. Not sure what Wolf:ET will look like on my system all maxed out, but at least it hasn't been raped to death like BF2142 Demo, or BF2 for that matter.

Sure there's still cheats and exploits in those older games, but seriously, this is bad.

128. Re: It's quite fun Oct 13, 2006, 17:13 mOOzilla

Little things like GAMEPLAY? FUN? ENJOYMENT?

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 17:13.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

127. Re: It's quite fun Oct 13, 2006, 09:45 Smack_Dabb

"It's a lot easier to complain about all the little things that you think should have been done than to actually sit down and do it yourself, something that I expect few of the vocal detractors here have the ability to do."

Well there Luther my boy, that's why we pay them for the games in the first place. You pompous ass!

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 09:49.

126. Re: It's quite fun Oct 12, 2006, 11:08 Luther

>>But they refuse to squash all the bugs.

True, that is annoying and other companies do have a better track record.
There are a few incentives for a company to continue to support a product after release: the threat of loosing customers for future products, the personal professionalism of the developers and finally, the possibility of users demanding a refund for an unplayable product.
If a company is convinced that people will lap anything up, they'll not care about the first point. Point two will only manifest itself if the developers are able to call the shots and can justify to the management that it's worth fixing a given bug (ID seem to be a good example of this). The final point should worry any publisher.
I think any developer worth his or her salt wants to release and support the best product they can. I don't think that this aim is always supported by the management. Therefore, it sometimes galls me how vitriolic and frankly unfair people can be towards developers, some of whom may even read this crap.

125. Re: It's quite fun Oct 11, 2006, 19:34 Darkhand Brackstone

There is no sense feeling 'betrayed' by EA if a title doesn't live up to your expectations.

Luther I don't think you understand what people are saying. Nobody feels "Betrayed" that the game didn't live up to what EA promised.

People feel "Betrayed" because they never fixed BF2 a game which is still being played and has a large player base. But they refuse to squash all the bugs.

124. It's quite fun Oct 11, 2006, 05:50 Luther

After reading some of the most negative and derisory comments here, I was expecting this game to be awful once I finally managed to log on.
I think the Titans, walkers and hover tanks are great additions and the bleak glacial future world, whilst somewhat difficult to connect to, is quite a bold and unusual setting.
Some people have commented that the weapons aren't quite futuristic enough. This would be true if you believed that the march of progress is utterly inexorable and couldn't be impaired by something like, say, another ice age or catastrophic resource and population loss. I'm more surprised that, given the back story, they have time to fight each other in giant stomping walkers. Thank DICE that they do though, because stomping around in big walkers is fun.
It'd have been nice if the hover tanks could do small hops like those in the great 'remake' of BattleZone but that's a small quibble.
It amazes me how vitriolic people can get over computer games. Making games isn't easy and the amount of work that goes into most modern games is huge. It's a lot easier to complain about all the little things that you think should have been done than to actually sit down and do it yourself, something that I expect few of the vocal detractors here have the ability to do.
I don't think EA are a very nice company either but that's more for the way that they allegedly treat their staff, rather than the quality of the games they produce. They produce polished titles that don't often appeal to me, although I've enjoyed the battlefield series quite a lot.
Finally, just remember that games are just games. There is no sense feeling 'betrayed' by EA if a title doesn't live up to your expectations. The most you're entitled to feel is disappointment which you can demonstrate to EA by simply <i>not buying it</i>. If you really feel you can do better, please and by all means, do just that.
If you really want something to get upset about, the world is full of very important issues that actually matter (for instance, the environmental issues that the game alludes to)

123. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 03:53 [SF]Optimizer

I wonder if EA will fix this??

Ok guys, I won't tell you how to do this but I do want to show you one place it is done as many people don't believe me. This is being shown so that admins can look out for it on servers and so EA can fix this problem before the full game is released.

The issue is my team found ways to wall glitch inside of every major object in 2142. This allows for a full squad or one person to sit by ANY flag and make it so that flag can no longer be captured by the other team. Also anyone outside of the model your glitching in can't kill you or harm you in anyway.

Screenshots
http://www.goyellowbook.com/media/screen009.jpg

http://www.goyellowbook.com/media/screen011.jpg

If EA is interested I can show you how to wall glitch into ANY object.

122. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 18:07 Darkhand Brackstone

Yeah prez I can totally appreciate that. If someone is having fun with a game I say let them have fun. I am certainly not going to force anyone to not play BF2142, however I will let them know of EA's business practices in the past.

As long as they make an informed deceision is as far as I would take it.

121. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 12:00 Prez

DB-

Yeah admittedly the book analogy isn't perfect. But what I'm hearing is that it is mostly EA that causes people to be hypercritical of the BF series. Personally, I just want to play a fun game. I'm pretty forgiving myself; I can derive pleasure out of what most others here dismiss as bug-ridden crap-fests. (Some of the 'older' guys here will tell you that's why I actually play Derek Smart games :o)

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

120. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 11:55 Prez

Prez, where ya been?

Hey nin!! Ever just feel the need to take a hiatus? I was spending a lot of my time on guitar websites, as I'm trying to break back into the music biz.

Couldn't stay away forever though. Glad to see nothing much has changed here at the House of Blue!

119. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 10:35 Darkhand Brackstone

On the subject of books it's a bad analogy because books are a static purchase. They always function, they don't break, letters don't fall off the page while your reading.

Software on the other hand requires a lot of love after it's released and EA has consistently not done that.

Also about the "only haters" posting on blues, if you look at a lot of other game reviews you don't see quite so many haters. The difference between these forums and the forums you can find on say planetbattlefield is most of the blues readers aren't fanboys.

We can be dedicated to a certain brand or genre and many of us were with the battlefield series. However EAs empty promises have just broken us finally and were now just giving EA the finger.

118. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 10:35 nin

Prez, where ya been?

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

117. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 10:18 Prez

We're implying something based on history. What your asking us to do is forget what the past has taught us and allow history to repeat itself.

I guess it's like a guy doing a book review. Let's say during the review I continue to hear about the author's last 3 books, and how they had plot holes, inconsistencies, and bad dialogue. Oh, and the publisher is a huge conglomerate known for shady business practices. How does that inform me about this particular book that interests me?

I never played BF2, but I loved Vietnam and 1942. So the problems with BF2 are irrelevant to a guy like me.

As an aside, I always wonder how a series that is very successful and generally well received by the buying public can bring near-universal derision in a forum. Do only haters post on Blues?

116. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 10:03 Silverline

Well I've been playing the game off and on since friday and have a few more points to make

Negative Points

- Bug not fixed yet, yesterday, in the afternoon I lost connection to the Master Server about 5 times in 2 hours (but for about an 1 hour that night all was fine)
- Need a lot more vehicles and weapons. I hate to see what they will charge us for this upgrade.
- I don't like the hand machine guns. They sound pathetic and it seems to take like a hudred shots to kill someone, even with the "heavy" one.
- Where are the gernades???? Unlockable, Screw that!
- Unlockables suck. It just gives the expert players more advantage. If they keep unlockables then they should not allow veteran players to play with newbies
- Engineers should be able to fix the Titan ships

Positive Points

- I do like the Titan game mode and the pod launchers
- The game loads about 10 times faster for me (of course the powerplant map is not as complex most bf2 maps)
- Verify game takes only a few seconds compared too over 3 minutes for me on BF2

I like the BF2 game overall better but the load times just suck on my pc (I just can't play it anymore). I don't understand why. I've checked the forums, etc.. and no fixes. I don't have problems with any other games and BF2142 loads fast.

115. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 03:23 Darkhand Brackstone

It sucks that BF2 was buggy, but how does that matter in an honest review of 2142? If it is buggy, that's one thing. Otherwise, I don't see how its relevant.

Because we already paid money for BF2 and they didn't make it work, instead of doing that they release ANOTHER game with the fixes that should have been there for BF2.

In short BF2 had bugs and EA didnt' fix them they made a new game
BF2142 has bugs why will they fix them? They'll just release another game.

We're implying something based on history. What your asking us to do is forget what the past has taught us and allow history to repeat itself.

I can't speak about everyone else but I won't be doing that.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 03:23.

114. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 01:58 [SF]Optimizer

You can already get inside of the buildings and walls just like you could in BF2. All you have to do is land the front of your plane in the side of a building with a tilt and jump out / BAM your inside of the wall and nobody can see you. Works great with support.... just stay there all day and blast people away. The best area I've got it to work is in the round circle in the middle of the map.

I have NO IDEA why EA can't put up blocking objects for everything. I guess it will make the frame rate go up to much so they decide to let people go into the walls and cheat instead.

This is my THIRD DAY trying to let 2142 grow on me and it still isn't working. Can you say *nothing but a mod* over and over again? It's really said that some of the BF2 bugs have floated over, but what can you expect when they are using the same engine?

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 01:59.

113. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 01:08 Prez

I understand all about EA and its draconian business practices, but I guess what I'm saying is that shouldn't the game be judged in a vacuum, on its own merits?

It sucks that BF2 was buggy, but how does that matter in an honest review of 2142? If it is buggy, that's one thing. Otherwise, I don't see how its relevant.

112. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 21:13 Camaro76

Okay. Now anyone want to post the GOOD points?

It comes with an uninstaller...

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

111. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 16:52 Darkhand Brackstone

It's not just about the game prez, it's about the relationship this company has with it's consumers.

People can forgive bugs and glitches and whatnots. But EA has a history of NOT fixing these things. So a lot of people or the "minority" as EA puts it, just aren't goign to buy their games anymore. We're compiling all the issues because it's basically the same game with some new models.

What they should have done was said owners of Battlefield 2 will only have to pay $20 for BF2142 and not the full price. Since this is basically a mod and are just fixing bugs with it. Then later after they have more revenue they can go back and fix BF2.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 16:54.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo