Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Fix

Disconnect: This Steam account does not own this game on the Steam Users Forums (thanks JoeFaust) has a fix for an authentication problem some users experienced over the weekend when attempting to connect to Steam:

Over the weekend, there was a problem with one of our authentication servers. You may have received the following error message:

"Disconnect: This Steam account does not own this game. Please login to the correct Steam account."

This issue has since been corrected.

Please exit from Steam and delete a file in your Steam directory called:

ClientRegistry.blob

This file would be in the location:

C:\Valve\Steam\ClientRegistry.blob or C:\Program Files\Steam\ClientRegistry.blob

(or the directory you installed Steam to).

The next time you start Steam it will re-create this file, do a brief update, and then you should be able to connect and play.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has posed.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 18:00 Riley Pizt

I only have a single network card running on my computer, I do have firewire installed, but its disabled and not active.
Check your network card list for a firewire adapter. If it is listed it will suffice for the one adapter requirement.

I disabled my network card and activated steam and put it into offline mode without incident.
Everytime I have done that on a PC with truely only one network adapter I have received a Winsock error from Steam. In order to enter offline mode, I had to keep the network adapter active and pull out the cable.

But as much as I disagree with Steam in principle, I cannot deny that it has been more or less a painless experience so far (im a single player only guy).
Offline also requires that you save the login credentials for the account you wish to use offline before you try to run it offline. And if you ever switch accounts or accidently uncheck the "save password" box, you will have to successfully reauthenticate and recheck the box before offline mode will work again.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 18:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 17:48 VoodooV

now its my turn to say you're wrong Riley. I just built a brand new rig last month so I decided that now that I had a PC beefy enough to play HL2, it was time to take it for a spin.

I only have a single network card running on my computer, I do have firewire installed, but its disabled and not active. I disabled my network card and activated steam and put it into offline mode without incident.

Now yes, I dislike how Steam behaves in principle. I think its dumb as hell that you have to disable your network card to get offline mode to work....I don't like how offline mode is not advertised at all as an option and you HAVE to go to the knowledge base to find out how to go into offline mode. It should be as simple as just right clicking on the tray icon and selecting offline mode.

But as much as I disagree with Steam in principle, I cannot deny that it has been more or less a painless experience so far (im a single player only guy). Of course you can also make the argument that I'm only seeing the current version of Steam and that past versions (and hey, maybe future versions) were/will be crappy

26. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 07:50 Riley Pizt

There's a very simple way to force steam to let you play in offline singleplayer at any time. Simply go to the Device Manager and disable your ethernet (network) controller there. Then run your game normally. Steam will detect a non-Internet machine and default to allowing only offline single-player mode.
That won't work unless you have another active network adapter in the PC (like an IEEE1394 network adapter) because Steam will refuse to run with a Winsock error. You have to have at least one functioning network adapter for Steam to work, offline or not, even if the network adapter is not connected to anything.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 07:54.

25. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 06:32 WaltC

because Steam wouldn't let them choose offline mode

There's a very simple way to force steam to let you play in offline singleplayer at any time. Simply go to the Device Manager and disable your ethernet (network) controller there. Then run your game normally. Steam will detect a non-Internet machine and default to allowing only offline single-player mode.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

24. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 06:17 Riley Pizt

You yourself have stated you havent had Steam installed for over 2 years...You can go into Offline Mode anytime and has no bearing one whether there is an active net connection or if Steam is available or not.
Admittedly I haven't used Steam in about seven months (which is a far cry from two years), but you are still full of crap. So, just how can you go into offline mode at any time especially if Steam is available?

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 06:24.

23. Re: It's not THAT bad. Oct 3, 2006, 04:19 vacs

Mod makers selling their game for money! The Ship, Red Orchestra... both mods, now standalone games sold on the cheap. That's cool!

What exactly is so good about that? I though free mods were supposed to be free. Did I miss something?

22. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 03:22 Zephalephelah

Actually, this is not the first time this has occurred. Do a search at counter-strike.net forums for registry & you'll probably find out that this has been an issue for more than a year.

Now I know better & do the fix right away, so this wasn't news to me. But this is *NOT* a new problem, which means that they have known about this for sometime & which means that you can expect it to happen again.

21. No subject Oct 3, 2006, 00:39 VoodooV

god...not again....hasn't this same ole repetitive arguement gotten stale yet?

I despise Steam too...but c'mon. Its not like Newell is monitoring this forum and going "hrm...maybe we should rethink this steam thing cuz a handful of people can't seem to get along on every steam topic generated"

have your little pillow fight on the STEAM forums

20. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 00:29 Masa

Riley how the fuck would you know?

It would be funnier than hell if he turned out to work for Valve's section responsbile for Steam's upkeep.

19. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 00:23 Krovven

Riley how the fuck would you know? You yourself have stated you havent had Steam installed for over 2 years. So STFU for once in your life and stop spewing bullshit.

You can go into Offline Mode anytime and has no bearing one whether there is an active net connection or if Steam is available or not.

What you are stating is how it worked almost 3 years ago and has long since changed.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Company of Heroes.

18. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2006, 00:03 Riley Pizt

Had the login stored, yes. Pulling a cable or disabling my internet connectivity, no. Still played DEFCON (in demo mode), EP1 and Lost Coast without a problem (while talking to people on Xfire, no less).
Then you must not have been in offline mode. Single-player mode and offline mode are not the same thing. In the case here, if Steam authentication fails, the user can't enter offline mode unless all of Steam is totally unreachable. And if it is totally unreachable, there would not have been the "Disconnect: This Steam account does not own this game. Please login to the correct Steam account." error message described above.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 00:04.

17. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 23:59 Riley Pizt

I guess if you like typing your password every time in on a machine that only you use....
Even in that situation you could have your stored credentials lifted from your machine by a trojan, etc. Since a Steam account is used for purchasing and not just playing and because one account stores all of the user's games, that makes it much more risky than simply storing a normal CD key.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 00:07.

16. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 23:22 Narf2029

Oh my god, people bashing Steam? I never thought I'd see the day! /sarcasm

I never have problems. Ever.

NAAAARF!

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 22:54 Masa

That's because you were foolish enough to store your Steam login credentials on your PC...

I guess if you like typing your password every time in on a machine that only you use....

14. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 22:49 Bucky

The problem here was that people who got the error message couldn't go into offline mode unless they pulled their PC's network cable from the port or otherwise totally disabled their Internet access (and had previously stored their Steam login on their PC). Valve should at least make offline mode selectable so that customers can choose to play offline whenever Steam fucks up like this.

Had the login stored, yes. Pulling a cable or disabling my internet connectivity, no. Still played DEFCON (in demo mode), EP1 and Lost Coast without a problem (while talking to people on Xfire, no less).

Gotta say I agree with The Raven. Though my server history and favorites have never worked for HL2DM.

---
Xfire: GreySpire

13. Re: ... Oct 2, 2006, 22:36 Riley Pizt

To their credit after a few hours everything was working fine.
And, yet this notice of a fix wasn't posted until Monday morning even though the problems occured over the weekend. Therefore it must not have been fixed for everyone after a few hours.

12. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 22:34 Riley Pizt

I played DEFCON offline just fine.
That's because you were foolish enough to store your Steam login credentials on your PC (and before the problem occured) and because you actually had no Internet connectivity at all when you ran the game. Otherwise you would not have been able to play offline.

The problem here was that people who got the error message couldn't go into offline mode unless they pulled their PC's network cable from the port or otherwise totally disabled their Internet access (and had previously stored their Steam login on their PC). Valve should at least make offline mode selectable so that customers can choose to play offline whenever Steam fucks up like this.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 22:41.

11. ... Oct 2, 2006, 22:31 Mad Max RW

Yeah, it is pretty damn ridiculous they haven't had ONE smooth launch on Steam. To their credit after a few hours everything was working fine.
I was kicked out of a few SvenCoop servers this weekend telling me I didn't "own this game". Was wondering about that.

Thank god I never had to reformat my computer or uninstall Steam (and all the games with it) in the past few years. it must be such a tremendous pain in the ass to go through the authentication without any problems. I'm betting when that day comes I'll just say goodbye to Valve and never bother until a real Half Life 3 comes out.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 22:31.

10. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2006, 22:26 Elf Shot The Food

I played DEFCON offline just fine.

People should stop talking out of their asses.

9. No subject Oct 2, 2006, 22:13 Rosco

Interesting, I never had this issue over the weekend. I fired up Steam and began my yearly October sabbatical into the game "They Hunger" once again. It let me right in to play, but then its a HL mod, not HL2, but I do use Steam to play it. They Hunger is still a blast after all this time.  
Consoles are schwag.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo