Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Red Orchestra Free Content Plans

FiringSquad has an update on plans for a free content update for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 beyond the imminent September update (story). Word they received from Tripwire Interactive is a future update will add a map remade from the game's previous incarnation as a free modification along with a couple of new vehicles.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. I just don't see why its a failure... Sep 19, 2006, 16:30 Tomas

I just grabbed these off Gamespy's stats a minute ago:

Top Game Servers By Players
1. Half Life 2 22737 servers, 78749 players
2. Half Life 32475 servers, 73103 players
3. Battlefield 2 6860 servers, 34095 players
4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 3519 servers, 11961 players
5. Call of Duty 2 6715 servers, 9856 players
6. Americas Army: Special Forces 2325 servers, 7740 players
7. Unreal Tournament 2004 2528 servers, 6685 players
8. Call of Duty 3183 servers, 6575 players
9. Neverwinter Nights 1106 servers, 3765 players
10. Quake 3: Arena 2028 servers, 3595 players
11. Medal of Honor Allied Assault 1882 servers, 3435 players
12. Soldier of Fortune 2 1060 servers, 2885 players
13. Unreal Tournament 2020 servers, 2655 players
14. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead 1124 servers, 2547 players
15. Battlefield 1942 788 servers, 1998 players
16. FEAR: First Encounter Assault Recon 1259 servers, 1848 players
17. Halo: Combat Evolved 783 servers, 1823 players
18. Red Orchestra Ostfront 295 servers, 1717 players

So...I guess it's only as big as FEAR, but to be top 20 isn't really that bad in my books.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. No subject Sep 19, 2006, 02:00 maest

"At any rate, it's better talk about me than this OVER-PRICED GAME!"

Finally you admit it is a game and not a mod.

25. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 19, 2006, 00:21 Riley Pizt

Ok, but thats old games, I meant when they were new..
But, that's not what you wrote, i.e. BF:V (which btw is probably still 50$, so I corrected you.

The fact that mod teams that work that hard for that long simply gives it away for free doesnt always mean the games arent worth anything
I agree as there are many good free mods and stand-alone games which I have enjoyed playing. The lack of price certainly doesn't mean lack of quality or lack of fun.

Regarding RO's price, I don't consider $25 to be particularly inexpensive especially for a downloadable game when so many other games can be had for much less and don't require Steam. And, given that RO is on Steam, I doubt its price will drop significantly any time soon despite its relative unpopularity.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 00:39.

24. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 19, 2006, 00:19 Riley Pizt

That's a ridiculous comparison. All games depreciate over time, so if you wait as many years as BF1942 has been out, I'm sure Red Orchestra will be $5-10 too.
I didn't make the comparison. BicycleRepairMan did. I only corrected his misinformation.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 00:19.

23. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 21:30 Bob Bobsen

Jesus you are really a pain in the ass, ya know? Don't play the game for christsakes go back to your arcade 50 doallar games and pay for each new 'expansion-patch'.
RO started out as a Unreal mod and morfed into a full game that is enjoyed by lots of people who like more realistic team gameplay.
It is NOT overpriced when compared to the uber crap that is out there trying to pass it self off as original everytime its new version comes out.
The whole world does not revolve around the US. Your argument about cartring for the US market is just silly at worst and facist at best. But typical american, can't beat 'em buy 'em......

22. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 18:21 Zephalephelah

That's quite interesting. I'm sure I had at least five points in my critiques & everyone keyed in on 1 single point, which I made in Post 8, which specifically states, "A: It does not sport it's own engine. Not that this is a prerequsite, but it would definitively designate this game as a full game instead of the modification game that it is."

I just love how weeryone climbs aboard the Zeph-Hateship, but then never actually read the post & make themselves out to be idiots. Good work guys.

At any rate, it's better talk about me than this OVER-PRICED GAME!

21. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 12:51 BicycleRepairMan

Actually they are effectively now sold that way

Ok, but thats old games, I meant when they were new.. anyway the point was just that almost any sequel can often be narrowed down to be basically new content for an old game, with better graphics etc. There are for instance mods for HL2 in the works that offer more originality and quality then some of the sequels and movie-tie-ins out there, say if Insurgency delivers what it promises, I'd gladly pay 25$ for that too, instead of buying some other soul-less crap console-port for 50$. The fact that mod teams that work that hard for that long simply gives it away for free doesnt always mean the games arent worth anything.

20. Performance Sep 18, 2006, 12:39 chiisu81

I really like this game, but goddam does it run slower than CS:S  
Smile Like You Mean It

19. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 11:22 Igor

That's a ridiculous comparison. All games depreciate over time, so if you wait as many years as BF1942 has been out, I'm sure Red Orchestra will be $5-10 too.

18. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 10:48 Riley Pizt

BF:V (which btw is probably still 50$) By your logic, those games should be sold as a 5$ BF'42 mods.
Actually they are effectively now sold that way. You can get all of the BF1942 games including BF:V and the expansions for $19.99 or less total in a bundle (such as https://www.atomicpark.com/productDetail.aspx?prodId=23392 ). And both that bundle and the Medal of Honor Warchest are much better values than Red Orchestra which retails for more.

Sure the gameplay is not exactly the same but judging from the numbers of people who play and have played those games versus RO, more people prefer the other games.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 10:52.

17. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2006, 10:21 Igor

Some people are idiots. Do you realize that most games are probably built on top of other existing engines? Oblivion on GameBryo, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic on Source, Half-Life on Quake, etc, etc.

Just because they were using a free fully licensed version of UT2004 engine doesn't make it a "modification" game. And it's only $25.... so if you don't like it, go play the free UT2004 mod, it's still out there.

16. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2006, 09:40 nin

Zephalephelah seems to shit on a lot of games like this.

He shits on everything. Look at his post history...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 18, 2006, 08:47 BicycleRepairMan

Modification game

This term is the most meaningless I've heard this year. So what was UT2004 over UT2003? how about Quake2 over Quake 1, Those games are WAY more similar then RO and any other Unreal-engine game.. So what makes it a mod? that it used to be one? well, fair enough, but not really true. They completely rebuilt the game for the retail release, including rewriting of the movement system, hit-detection, weapon resting, motion blur, completely new vehicle code, and all new or updated maps

If this game isnt worthy of a retail price, then neither is Battlefield 2 or much less BF:V (which btw is probably still 50$) By your logic, those games should be sold as a 5$ BF'42 mods.

RO isnt a perfect game, some flaws exists, such as lack of climbing and the nerfed jumping, but in return, theres no bunnyhopping or dolphin diving or any even remotely similar exploits that makes the game stupid.

14. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2006, 08:44 mexpak

Zephalephelah seems to shit on a lot of games like this.

Especially (!) if they're not free.

13. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2006, 08:37 MeatForce

Aw c'mon, guys, that's not the issue... it's that these stingy bastards want to be paid for the bulk of their very high quality hard work.

Stingy. Ungrateful. Bastards.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

12. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2006, 05:37 The Half Elf

I guess that's like saying Splinter Cell, Deus Ex are mods too.

Makes sense in a totally stupid way.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. No subject Sep 18, 2006, 03:20 The Phantom Chicken of CS_Italy

There goes that Zephalephelah again about how full, retail games are "mods" because they didn't use a whole new rendering engine and licensed an already robust, existing one instead.

10. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 17, 2006, 22:43 Zephalephelah

Hey, I understand that you guys like the game. That's fine.

What I'm saying is that it is a modification game, like CS:S is for Half-Life2. It needs to be sold as such. If that game goes for $15 I might get into it. $10 & I'm pretty sure I would. But it's worth is about $5. It's a MOD, plain and simple.

And, I played the game on free-weekend & I enjoyed it for the most part. I felt that it allowed me to do all the things I liked from MOH & COD, which were ironsights & prone. The maps were generally large, well made, and interesting. The balance was well done so that a sniper is lethal, but so is a machine-gunner. I liked that most of the time you could retaliate after being hit once. Twice & you were dead, but there was usually an instant where you could fall to the ground prone or jump or dive for cover or anything including the most obvious of all, firing back.

However, in the end, this is a Modification game. And the points I made about realism & non-American are important. An FPS gamer is the hero, that's the beauty of FPS, I'm seeing it from *MY* perspective. Now, if I want to pretend that I'm evil for a little while, then fine I can be German. But if I want to be a good hero, my choice is... RUSSIAN??????

I realize that this is about the Eastern Front. I'm not stupid. I enjoy WW2 history channel documentaries. I love that shit. But so fucking what. There was a war in Mogadishu Somalia in which a blackhawk helicopter was taken down by Anti-American funded Warlords equipped with RPGs. That doesn't mean that just because it happened that anyone would be happy to play a Somalian!!!!!

So please put it into perspective. I don't hate this game. I rather like it. But it is a Modification game only & it is not something that most FPS people are going to be interested in & it really isn't as realistic as what most RO fans would want to believe because they forget about all the stuff like jumping 8 feet ruins your legs.

Actually, if you want to think about realism, the new CS:S radar system is quite useful. It shows you where your friends are, what they are looking at, and if they have seen an enemy for more than a fraction of a second & where he was. The reason all those things are good is because even though I have 5.1 speakers & can turn around & look, being there for real would make me MUCH more informed. So this new Radar system should be embraced as the new, improved radar system for gaming. Because in realife RO, people would be yelling, "THERE'S A SNIPER UP THERE ABOUT 11 O'CLOCK, HE JUST TOOK OUT JIMMY DAMMIT" and if someone else came to our position, I would say that same thing to them. It makes sense that I'm aware because for the most part in FPS games, it's a bunch of children playing war, but the real thing would have ALOT more information allowing me to stay alive.

So understand I'm not bashing your game. I'm just saying that it's just not worth it to me to pay $30 for something that should come packaged with a parent game, a real game, or they should sell it for $5, $10, or maybe $15. Just look at Portal & TF2 coming with HL2:EP2 or even CS:S coming with HL2. I mean, CS:S is pretty fun for those that play it & it was free & they're always adding content to this day. I'm sorry but your arguments fall short.

9. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 17, 2006, 21:41 Bob Bobsen

Well, lets see, next time you drop 30 bucks for a 'expansion' pack from EA for that ultra realistic BF series, just think about how much you had/have to spend on RO for a game that only gets better and better.
You sound as if you really want some sort of Battleground Europe Hybred that you pay monthy for, go for it. Or perhaps you would prefer call of duty 2?
There are more than enough people who like and play RO the way it is, if you don't like DON'T play it, simple.
RO is about the eastern front, period. You people that always want american involvment in the games should realize there was another front in WW2, a much larger conflict.
Later,
Bobsen

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 21:46.

8. Re: Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 17, 2006, 21:33 Zephalephelah

I am up to date. They lowered the price of a modification game. This game is not worthy of the classification of a full game. It is a modification game.

A: It does not sport it's own engine. Not that this is a prerequsite, but it would definitively designate this game as a full game instead of the modification game that it is.

B: They had to lower the price already & this is going to be their 2nd free turnaround to try to get people interested in the game.

C: It has no Americans in it. This is sort of like making Alien vs. Predator without people. If there is nothing in common with the majority of the audience, there is no connection.

D: It is *NOT* ultra-realistic. You can jump from a minor height of 8 feet, something that most men in their 50s could do, and your legs will register red damage toe-to-hip. Also, if you are shot in the hand; then you WILL NOT BE DOING MUCH OF ANYTHING (try it at home & see how you feel about doing anything except going to the hospital, sleeping, or anything that doesn't require to do much except sob in a corner) and that's just a shot in the hand. Alternatively, some people actually do exist that will be shot 7 or 8 times & keep coming at you, even if they know for a fact that they are bleeding out & will die. But that's less than 1% & it sure ain't you.

E: As with all map games, those that play the game the most will know where the snipers will be hiding & can take them out pretty easily. A game like this should incorporate map-puzzle pieces each of which is part of a set for each map. When the map loads, the puzzle comes together & no one will know it by heart. Even minor changes would be welcome. This game is nothing new. THERE'S NOTHING NEW HERE!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo