Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BF2142 Beta Concludes

A community update on the Battlefield 2 Website (thanks Frans) outlines how beta testing of Battlefield 2142 has wrapped up. Over 3000 bug fixes are said to have come out of the testing process, and it also sounds like they're rolling the DICE with some post-test tweaking as they prepare for a release next month:

As the beta tests for BF 2142 have finished, on behalf of everyone at DICE I wanted to personally thank you for your help with the development of the game. We gave you a mission, and you delivered above and beyond what we could have hoped for. Thanks to your hard work, we’ve already made over 3000 bug fixes and very many changes to BF 2142, and we continue to fine-tune the game based on your feedback. Some of the forum traffic we’ve read has asked what fixes we are making, and while there isn’t room to list all of the changes, your feedback made us make some major changes to Titan shield layout as well as adding death material to the outside shield, killing people trying to just sit and wait for shield to go down. These changes plus more around the Titan is making the fights even more intense and rewarding.

We have also, based directly on your feedback from both rounds of the Tuning Beta made a number of gameplay changes. The Support class’s Machine Guns now overheat slower and cool down quicker when not firing. The Doragon and Talon gunships have received an increase in maneuverability to allow for better dogfights. Additionally, all Recon class’s sniper rifles have had their sway substantially reduced and are able to be equipped with a more effective Gruber 5 Stabilizer. Finally, the Heavy Body Armor now absorbs less damage from incoming projectiles, effectively increasing the power of all weapons against Heavily Armored opponents.

The end result is that when BF 2142 releases next month, we are confident it will be a great experience. We continue to work toward the goal we have had all along in the development cycle, which is to make BF 2142 the best BF release ever.

Thanks again for your help in this important process, we hope that you had as much fun playing as we did. We’ll see you on the battlefield soon.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: No subject Sep 20, 2006, 23:23 Masa

Yeah we should be able to drive the carriers in BF2. But no, they only allow us to drop vehicles on people

At least make them sinkable. That would've been cool as hell.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No subject Sep 20, 2006, 23:16 Masa

Eh, Tribes II was severely overrated...OpFlash 1985 was definitely the better game.

31. Re: Pros and cons of 2142 Sep 20, 2006, 23:14 Masa

-First-person Muzzle flashes for many of the weapons/turrets are extremely large and obscure your view. Very annoying!

Yeah, by the time the year 2142 rolls around you'd think they'd have found a way to completely do away with muzzle flashes altogether. j/k, I realize no FPS is coplete without the flash...

30. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 16:51 DDI

Oh yes all the Tribes 2 love, oh wait that was the buggiest game ever it took longer for them to fix it than BF2!

29. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 12:26 Jow

I'd be extremely shocked to see another patch for BF2 once 2142 hits.

28. No subject Sep 16, 2006, 11:58 Hump

I really enjoyed 2142 but the streaming hacks used by everybody and their brother have made playing on any pub servers impossible to take seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

27. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 11:23 galewind

It appears as this thread is now being hijacked to promote Tribes 2.

I'm all for it.

As I was an avid player of the game for 3 years (I know many of you played it longer), I can tell you that it is the ONLY game that has held my attention span for longer than 6 months, let alone 3 years.

It deserves more thread space than EA/DICE does anyway - I can't stand what EA is doing with their games nowadays, especially some of the sports games (NCAA on PSP anyone?) , and the BF series, which... hmmm... let me put it this way:

If when you press the menu button, it says "Please Wait" for a few seconds before it even loads the menu -- that says something.

26. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 11:17 KaRRiLLioN

I played Tribes 1 & 2, but for me, nothing has thus far beaten Operation Flashpoint for MP. Extremely flexible scripting and addons has kept this game fresh for years. Can't wait for Armed Assault.

25. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 10:05 PointlesS

holy shit I didn't realize that bf2142 would be out next month...I thought it had a few more months...didn't seem too long ago that bf2 was out...does this mean all support will be dropped for bf2? or will there still be updates?

24. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 09:53 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I'll agree to that. Tribes 2 is/was the greatest game ever. I don't know if anything will ever be able to take its crown.

23. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 08:43 space captain

Its so godamn sad how Vivendi has killed this franchise. It was the precursor to BF2, Halo, Quake Wars etc. Such an innovative game and the gameplay is still such a blast even with dated graphics. Some of the Splash Damage devs are admitted fans of the game as well so evnetually you may see a Tribes mod on Quake Wars but it still probaly wont be the same. They dont get it when we joke about ground huggers =)

its not just vivendi, its also irrational - who completely jacked up the netcode and released a bugged peice of garbage

just ask the SS2845 team about their experience trying to work with the engine, the problems are well documented and surprisingly dumb, ill-concieved

then they sat on their ass with the patch to fix it for months, and pushed back release until vivendi cancelled support.. and therefore never fixed a damn thing

FUCKERS!!

Go forth, and kill!

22. No subject Sep 16, 2006, 08:39 space captain

hohum indeed - it feels just like BF2 mostly, with the only minor changes in vehicles and weapons

also the engine is still loose and prone to infantry weirdness - although most vehicles tend to be fairly stable

need jetpacks

Go forth, and kill!

21. Pros and cons of 2142 Sep 16, 2006, 08:27 Charlie_Six

I'll be getting 2142, even though right now I prefer BF2/SF/POE2 over what I saw in the 2142 beta. But it's still a fun game The single map we got in the beta was kinda crummy. But hopefully we'll get some Sharqi/Karkand/Maashtur style maps in the full game.

Pros:
-less dolphin diving. When going prone, your crosshair takes a while to stabilise.
-Support MG weapon now useful/accurate. The gun actually gets more accurate as you shoot it longer, similar to how the HWGuy's machine gun worked in Team Fortress. Cool!
-No instant-healing from medkits. Kits gradually increase your health as you stand by it.
-Aircraft are easier to fly for people without a joystick.
-Cool things that encourage people to form squads. Many special items are not available for use unless a squad has 4 peeps. That's cool.
-Landing an "Aliens movie"-style hover craft onboard the enemy Titan once its shields go down. Sweet.

Cons:
-First-person Muzzle flashes for many of the weapons/turrets are extremely large and obscure your view. Very annoying!
-Aircraft aren't fun to fly anymore. They hover around in a clumsy fashion. As a flight sim fan, this was a huge setback to me.
-Very slow weapon/item unlock progression. In BF2, you begin the game with 6 primary weapons, grenades, smoke grenades, and so forth. In BF2142, you start the game with just 4 primary weapons available.. and it will apparently take a VERY long time to get any more primary weapons. AND you need to unlock standard grenades! Blech!
-Infantry experience feels like a big step backward from what we saw in Special Forces. Where's my grappling hook? Zip line? This is 2142... shouldn't someone at least have a jetpack or something? For a sci-fi game, 2142 is very ho-hum on its take on the future.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

20. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 06:10 mOOzilla

I think a T2 mod on FarCry would rock

T2 as a MMO would own, and yes Im aware of planetside but I never got into that, and its Sony

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 06:23.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

19. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 05:19 Beaner

The best game I have ever played and enjoyed for at least 4 to 5 years was Tribes 2

Oh hell yes, I hear you on that. I will interject however for the old school Tribes Players. I'd say Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 because your statement applies to a larger audience of players that loved either T1,T2 or both.

Will admit though, Tribes 2 went through the same growing pains that BF2 is going through right now. When it first came out Tribes 2 really upset a lot of folks due to physics changes in the game, bugs and harware issues. Later MODs and patches fixed that but it did hurt the momentum of T2. It could of been a bigger success commercially if not for those blunders. The bigger thorn was the release of Tribes Vengeance, oh my god what an embarrassment.

Its so godamn sad how Vivendi has killed this franchise. It was the precursor to BF2, Halo, Quake Wars etc. Such an innovative game and the gameplay is still such a blast even with dated graphics. Some of the Splash Damage devs are admitted fans of the game as well so evnetually you may see a Tribes mod on Quake Wars but it still probaly wont be the same. They dont get it when we joke about ground huggers =)
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 05:30.

18. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 04:56 mOOzilla

Yeah we should be able to drive the carriers in BF2. But no, they only allow us to drop vehicles on people

The best game I have ever played and enjoyed for at least 4 to 5 years was Tribes 2. Nothing comes close to the fun I have had on that game. Its to gaming what Windows 2000 was to platforms. A once in a lifetime fluke (yes I know about the patch installer pains but appart from that :).

I do like helicopter spawn points for squads though, very useful to hover at a height of 500 ft and then have your team continiously spawn in the chopper and parachute out to the enemies flags/carrier/runway base and own it NON stop, it puts them in a position of constant defence of that one flag

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 05:03.

----

17. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 04:42 CreamyBlood

How did they make such a fun game with BF 1942 and then repeatedly blow it afterward?

Who knows? I still play 42 once in awhile as it's pretty hilarious, but the 'musical flags' thing does get tired after awhile. I played enough BF2 (80hrs?) at friends/brothers to realize it wasn't worth buying, let alone upgrading my computer for. I'll wait for Quake Wars, there's plenty to keep me busy in the mean time.

16. Herc dropping Sep 16, 2006, 04:20 mOOzilla

Can we drop hercs on our commanders heads in this game?

Anyway, I refuse to buy this, they owe me for BF2: Special Fecies. I will never forget that EA/DICE.

I'm looking forward to Team Fortress 2, Portal and QuakeWars and my ipod nano 8gb in SILVER (yes, in silver

----

15. Re: Don't hold your breath Sep 16, 2006, 04:12 Cutter

Don't buy DICE products. If you do, don't piss and moan about how buggy and hacked it is.

"What are you looking at, Sugartits?"
- Mel Gibson.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Don't hold your breath Sep 16, 2006, 02:40 venomhed

Still nothing from EA about the hacks that are out for BF2 and BF2142 because they cannot fix them.

Great.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo