Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT2007 Demo Plans

Epic Games Forums (thanks Beyond Unreal and Voodoo Extreme) offers word from Epic's Steve Polge on plans to release a demo for Unreal Tournament 2007 prior to the retail release of their coming shooter sequel, along with an idea about how many maps will be included in the final product:

We currently have well over 40 maps in development. Some of those may be cut, but you should expect UT 2007 to ship with a comparable number of maps to past UT releases (UT2004, which had two games worth of maps excepted).

We are definitely planning to release a demo long enough before we go gold to be able to incorporate feedback from the demo into our final release.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: wtf Aug 30, 2006, 02:45 Riley Pizt

Wait, you're saying my opinion is wrong because the thing I don't like is popular.
I am saying you are wrong because the base of UT2004 players obviously feels that UT2004 is much improved and significantly different than UT2003 given that they predominately play the new features, e.g. vehicles, and modes.

You blew my mind there, Riley.
With your mind that is not hard to do. It's like popping a balloon.

Because Steam, Half Life 2, and CounterStrike are all immensely popular, much moreso than the Onslaught mode of UT2K4, yet you still feel validated in saying they're total crap...
While I do think that Steam and Counterstrike are crap with Half-Life 2 being merely mediocre as a gameplay experience, your comparison of this to your comments about UT2004 is not apt because the two games are not of the same gameplay style. The overwhelming majority of people who like the UT series will and do find the vehicles in UT2004 to be fun. You are definitely the odd man out there. Now if I said that I liked Counterstrike but hated Counterstrike Source because the additions to it weren't fun and later criticized you for your similar remarks about UT and UT2004, then it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

In addition, while Steam may be commonly used since Valve's games require it, I seriously doubt that it is favorably popular. Back when Steam was optional, most online players didn't use it. And, even when Counterstrike 1.6 was released and required Steam about half of the online players still didn't migrate to Steam until Valve stopped supporting WON. I would be willing to bet that if Steam weren't required to actually run the games, most players wouldn't run it unless they were going to update a game or purchase a game using it. And, both of those functions could be better performed with a web browser if Valve would allow it.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 03:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: wtf Aug 30, 2006, 02:09 Beamer

The fact that Onslaught mode was and still is the most popular UT2004 gameplay mode by far proves that not only do players find UT2004's vehicles to be fun

Wait, you're saying my opinion is wrong because the thing I don't like is popular.

You blew my mind there, Riley.

Because Steam, Half Life 2, and CounterStrike are all immensely popular, much moreso than the Onslaught mode of UT2K4, yet you still feel validated in saying they're total crap...

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 21:58 Riley Pizt

In the old days we had to haul our own asses to the next assault point before the attacking team got there and that's the way we LIKED it!
The maps in UT2004 are too big for that, and it would severely disadvantage the defending team. All the attackers would need to do is outrun the defense at an early stage and then cruise to victory. The way it is in UT2004, the defense has a better chance of mounting a comeback after each stage.

23. UT2007 = new ver. of Ultimate Terrible Aug 29, 2006, 19:22 Zephalephelah

Where you too can run around like a little kid on a sugar high at 70MPH inside of gigantic suit. Think of it as the American Anime'

Or, perhaps this is more like LaserQuest.

Either way, this game is not even going to be on my harddrive as a demo let alone a full game. Now if they made a REAL sequel to Unreal, instead of that birth defect Unreal 2, I might be interested.

22. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 18:51 Ratty

and the assault mode as almost as good as the one for the original UT.
I'm glad you stuck that "almost" in there. The thing I dislike most about the new Assault is the way the defending team teleports to the next objective as soon as the attacking team beats the previous objective. I don't know if this happens in all the assault maps, I barely played any of them, but in the ones I remember that's what happened. In the old days we had to haul our own asses to the next assault point before the attacking team got there and that's the way we LIKED it!

21. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 16:53 Ecthelion

That said, UT was a blast. The original. At the time. Way better than Q3. Both had their better points, both were worth owning, but UT surprised me by pretty much blowing Q3 away. It was the first Epic game I really liked. It's still the only Epic game I've really liked.
Agreed about UT > Q3. People complained about the weapons in Unreal, but UT had great weapons. In contrast, Q3's weapons sucked. The AI was a million times better in UT also. Assault mode was really fun as well.

I probably wouldn't like UT2k4 so much if I actually played it online (I don't do online FPS's), because I would suck at it. As has been said on here, UT2k4 "quake-ified" UT by speeding things up. It's a lot of fun in singleplayer mode, and the assault mode as almost as good as the one for the original UT. I've been a fan of Epic since the original Unreal. True, it may not have been a great shooter, but it was one of the first games with such huge scope. I remember the first time I stepped outside I was amazed at how wide open and realistic everything was (ah, nostalgia). UT was even more fun for me, although since I only played multiplayer a few times, Unreal gave me more bang for my buck.

As one of the 0.1% of UT2k4 players that never actually play it with other people, I'll probably be getting UT2k7 (if only to drool at the graphics). I most likely won't actually play it online. It probably sounds strange, but just playing the singleplayer ladder and playing around with mods and the editor for UT2k4 was worth the price I paid for the game. It's one of those games I feel I'm "supposed to" own even if I don't play it the way it was designed to be played.

20. love UT Aug 29, 2006, 13:55 CyberNutz

I've loved the UT franchise right from the beginning. I also like Quake, Q2, QIII. UT2k4 added the onslaught mode, which was great. I am looking forward to the new release as well. Don't like it??? Tough freaking shit. Don't buy it. And FO too.

19. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 13:45 Ratty

I liked the original also, then they sped it up and made it more like Quake for the second one.

Bought UT2K3, was bitterly disappointed. Saw UT2K4 was pretty much the same thing except with vehicles and decided not to buy it but did anyway (for the editor and all the great mods I told myself). Bitterly disappointed and pissed at myself for caving in.

Won't make the same mistake with this version. Though I will try out the demo to see just how bad it's gotten. They mentioned they were going to make it more like the original UT but they said that with UT2K4. And besides the videos I've seen say otherwise.

I still play the original UT.

18. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 12:52 Riley Pizt

I, for one, still don't understand the hatred for UT2K3 and love for 2K4.
You obviously didn't play the two games enough to notice the differences. UT2004 even comes with a UT2003 mutator for those who want to play the differences.

The only real difference was the vehicles, and those were shitty and weren't much fun.
That's a huge difference. Onslaught mode and assault mode with vehicles really make UT2004 the great game that it is. As for your perceived lack of "fun" since you think Sin Episodes is fun, your opinion of fun is worthless. The fact that Onslaught mode was and still is the most popular UT2004 gameplay mode by far proves that not only do players find UT2004's vehicles to be fun, but also that it is such a major change and improvement from UT2003 that relatively few UT2004 players play the older gameplay modes from UT2003.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 15:02.

17. Double 'deemer Aug 29, 2006, 11:48 Jim

I hope they modify the redeemer so that when you have double damage it doubles the radius of the redeemer damage, rather than hit points (or better yet, both!)

Jim

16. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 11:32 Cabezone

I liked the original also, then they sped it up and made it more like Quake for the second one.

"There's always money in the banana stand." - George Sr.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

15. No subject Aug 29, 2006, 11:18 Hellbinder

We currently have well over 40 maps in development. Some of those may be cut, but you should expect UT 2007 to ship with a comparable number of maps to past UT releases (UT2004, which had two games worth of maps excepted).
Who cares about how many maps they are going to ship ...
Quality > Quantity
Brings to mind an old saying I like to bring up on occasions like this...

It doesn't matter whether you've got a shovel full of shit, or a truck load of shit, In the end you've still just got a pile of shit

We are definitely planning to release a demo
wtf, the whole thing is just a damn demo for the crappy engine... it's the same shit over and over and over again.

Epic employee 1 - hey lets make a new game

Epic employee 2 - yeah, how long you think it'll take?

Epic employee 1 - not long, we'll just add a couple of extra fx

Epic employee 2 - yeah, and to really fool them, we'll just add a couple of different numbers to the end, how about 2007?

Epic employee 1 - Yeah, 2007, great idea, that'll fool 'em, they'll never pick it

You Sir, are a complete idiot.

The Whales name is Bob.

14. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 11:14 Beamer

That said, UT was a blast. The original. At the time. Way better than Q3. Both had their better points, both were worth owning, but UT surprised me by pretty much blowing Q3 away. It was the first Epic game I really liked. It's still the only Epic game I've really liked.

-------------

-------------

13. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 11:13 Beamer

I, for one, still don't understand the hatred for UT2K3 and love for 2K4.

They felt the same. They played the same. The only real difference was the vehicles, and those were shitty and weren't much fun.

The bandwagon was totally with me for the 2K3 hatred, then a few shiny effects made them jump ship.
I feel like it's the late 90s and all the kids that hated Star Wars with me for over a decade suddenly think it's the coolest thing ever because it's being rereleased.

-------------

-------------

12. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 10:30 Teddy

After buying GRAW that had a total of 5 (yes, five) multiplayer maps... I care.

11. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 09:36 Ecthelion

wtf, the whole thing is just a damn demo for the crappy engine... it's the same shit over and over and over again.
There's some flamebait if I ever saw it. UT2004 had one of the most efficient engines ever. It ran extremely well on midrange computers, and looked great too. The Quake4 engine is decent too, but I'll take the latest Unreal engine over it any day of the week.

10. No subject Aug 29, 2006, 07:24 Brainp0wa

UT2004 has had the most bang for my buck over any other game I have ever owned.

Even if half of the new maps are lame, that still makes it way better than most games coming out of the gate.

9. Re: good Aug 29, 2006, 05:09 Parallax_

I disagree. I think that UT2004's community was very much unified, much thanks to the Onslaught gamemode. Another reason why it is so popular is that they do have so many gamemodes. Three gamemodes, which is the standard of nowadays multiplayer games, gets boring pretty damn quick. In UT2004 you have many many more, and mutators lets you add even more, which prolongs the game - not to mention that all the mods for UT2004 does it as well.

No, UT2004 is in all respects a great game. Many gamemodes so choose from, more mods than any other community (actually being released, updated and have players), and great players.

8. wtf Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 Carver

Quality > Quantity
Brings to mind an old saying I like to bring up on occasions like this...

It doesn't matter whether you've got a shovel full of shit, or a truck load of shit, In the end you've still just got a pile of shit

We are definitely planning to release a demo

Epic employee 1 - hey lets make a new game

Epic employee 2 - yeah, how long you think it'll take?

Epic employee 1 - not long, we'll just add a couple of extra fx

Epic employee 2 - yeah, and to really fool them, we'll just add a couple of different numbers to the end, how about 2007?

Epic employee 1 - Yeah, 2007, great idea, that'll fool 'em, they'll never pick it

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 05:09.

7. Re: good Aug 29, 2006, 01:32 The Half Elf

Yeah but there are only a few games out there that I would ever purchase twice. UT2004 ain't one of them. *wish's they'd make a way to put them on DVD like Klingon Academy*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo