Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UO Revamp

The Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn Announcement (thanks Frans and FiringSquad) announces plans for a graphical overhaul for the seminal MMORPG as well as "many more surprises," in an update due for release sometime next year. Unfortunately, this may force some users who are still playing on the 133 MHz Pentium they had upon the game's launch to upgrade, as word is: "We are committed to maintaining extremely low system specs. They will be higher than what UO launched with in 1997, but will still be far lower than almost any other MMORPG on the market."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: STOP! Aug 26, 2006, 14:53 Bubzy

bob "HEY MY BUCKET IS FULL OF HOLES"
sid "hmm.... hey i know, lets paint it green"

imo

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Wow, old school Aug 22, 2006, 17:39 CountLovE

Here is some reading to get you started.

http://tinyurl.com/zjmk4

23. Re: Wow, old school Aug 22, 2006, 02:42 Jippy

People need to pull their fingers out their asses when it comes to being obsessed with gfx these days. Developers are spending too much time working on a game looking good that they miss content and immersion.

I'll check out the shard siege and read up on rules

22. Wow, old school Aug 21, 2006, 22:59 Lancer

I was one of the very first beta testers for UO and all I remember is the bug which made everyone's characters run around naked... I thought, 'Hey, they're onto something here', and then they fixed it...

Lance

21. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 22:29 Jaenos

Staunch, No, Diablo 2 looked good(art direction execution) this looks basically the same but with cheesy 3D

20. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 21:56 CountLovE

I seriously doubt that. People will try it, and realize how much fun it is to PVP in UO. Nothing touches the PVP of UO. Everquest, WoW, Shadowbane, Srarwars Galaxies, they all feel like the same game. UO is the only game that stands out from the rest if you ask me. In those Realtime 3D games you click attack, loot, then repeat. It is totally differnt in UO. I am hoping the update brings new people to the shards.

19. Why pull the plug? Aug 21, 2006, 21:45 Paranoid Jack

If it profitable why pull the plug? And it must be profitable to still be around so many years later... the Grand Daddy Of Them All.

I beta tested... shit when was that '96 or '97 ... they have the old school crowd that don't need no stinking particle effects or any of that other shite.

18. No subject Aug 21, 2006, 19:14 Staunch

Does anyone else think it looks like Diablo 2 style of graphics?

--
Adam 'Staunch' Bryzak

Friend codes:
AC: WW - 3093-1436-2712
Tetris DS - 903693 068890

17. I predict Aug 21, 2006, 18:41 Creston

that this revamp will go the way of the dodo, like the two sequels that have been worked on and subsequently canned.

Creston

16. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 17:39 Kamakazie

Fallout Online? I think I missed that.

15. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 17:21 Cutter

It this was 1998 I *might* be interested. Thanks but with games like Vanguard, Fallout Online, Star Trek online, et al. they need to pull the plug on this game sooner rather than later. Why they ever cancelled UO2 was beyond me. Why they haven't made one since is even more mind-boggling.

"What are you looking at, Sugartits?"
- Mel Gibson.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 14:51 Darkhand Brackstone

/signed

Ooops I mean I agree.

As a now Ex-WoW'r (er? 'er? whatev) I have to say WoW really was a big lie. They promised non-raiders and raids would be equal but it wasn't. The expansion pack is too little too late for me I won't be buying into it.

All WoW did was take the Bnet kiddies and put them online making them realize they CAN AFFORD $14.99 a month. When some of these other games come out not only can they survive on their own but they will also inevitably take some of WoW's Business AS well.

13. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 14:39 Nomaar

"With WoW owning over 52% of the MMORPG market share, do you really think enough people will flock to something as niche as Conan Online to keep it afloat?"

Oh my God, let's get down on our knees and worship WoW because it owns us all and will consume all other MMORPGs in it's wake!

Listen fanboi, I know your head is thoroughly consumed in WoW, but a lot of MMORPGs are surviving quite well here in the outside world. You don't need 6 zillion addicted subcribers to be successful.

12. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 13:59 DI-MeisterM

"He (Ultima Online) is dead Jim"

11. No subject Aug 21, 2006, 13:58 Sepharo

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060410.jpg

10. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 13:57 CountLovE

I have been playing UO since Beta. First off.. There is no crappy 3D. 2D Sprites is where it is at. Looks like 3D prerenders made into sprites. The 3rd Dawn was a total waste of time for EA. Hopefully this new Client brings new people to the game.

There is a Server called Siege that has all the old ways of playing UO. You can PK anyone you want, and loot anything that you kill. That includes other players.

If you want the best PVP Online game, then you guys should check out the new UO when the Client is released.

9. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 13:49 Swerv

Hmm I dunno about Warhammer Online, it's got a big following already, the tabletop games etc. So it should bring a lot of new people to the mmo market.

It won't tank as bad as that cars wars mmo thing anyway. Conan's hook is the mature rating thing so that should bring it a little niche of the market also.

8. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 13:01 Grounded

That doesnt look too revamped to me, it looks like the 3D client that is already there

"What with Warhammer online and conan etc coming out soon, it'll be a backup incase these all bum out"

LOL in case they BUM out? How about when they do?

With WoW owning over 52% of the MMORPG market share, do you really think enough people will flock to something as niche as Conan Online to keep it afloat?

The answer is NO

Same with Warhammer Online.

http://crystaltips.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/subscriptions_12473_image001.gif

Click that

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 13:02.

7. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 12:49 Jaenos

Ok, granted, I'd play a graphical update of UO-pre renissance in a second. But at this point I don't think I'd even recognize the UO game with what they ahve now.

That and if you're going to do a graphical update, go fullout, and I mean like Ultima 9 at the very least

6. Re: STOP! Aug 21, 2006, 12:20 Cutedge

http://www.uo.com/uokr/kingdomreborn.shtml

There's screens on there. Click and it will pop up a window with the current showing screen.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo