Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Here's something to make the old-timers around here feel older: It was ten years ago today that Mr. Wolf's Quake Den shut down.

Old School Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Links: Speedtest.net. Thanks Digg.
USB NailGunner Shoots Actual Nails.
Stories: Filipino 'dwarf' judge loses case. Thanks space captain.
Are you SURE you want to remove that?
Transsexual hen's crow wreaks havoc in the henhouse.
Science!: Watching the Fireworks (but Keeping Them Outside) (registration required).
FDA OKs Viruses to Treat Food.
Can taxation curb obesity?
Media: The Dog Whisperer.
Probably the Worst Gaming Peripheral Ever.
William Shatner is DENNY CRANE! My 2nd favorite TV character (after Al Swearengen, of course).
Follow-ups: This Old Space Station Construction Resumes (registration required).
One small step in hunt for moon film world didn't see.
Why doesn't America believe in evolution.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

106. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2006, 11:08 nin

Hey nin, I thought we were going with Quad-F? =)]

I wasn't sure if that one would catch on...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2006, 11:04 Jeraxle

Yeah, and he registered today.

Another one for the fucktard filter...

Hey nin, I thought we were going with Quad-F? =)

1 Post Closer to 20,000.
Nicht alle Esel haben vier Beine.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

104. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 15:15 nin

But now that I think about it, WTF is up with ALL these attention whores posting nonsense around here lately?

GET A FUCKING GRIP, PEOPLE!!!!

If only someone would be appointed to police the board!

Hell, it doesn't even have to be me.

OH THE ZOOMANITY!

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

103. No subject Aug 21, 2006, 14:37 xXBatmanXx

The new light rail in Minneapolis has killed 7 people since they started service 3 or so years ago.

The carry permit law has only had 1 "related" death.

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 11 Shot: 2

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

102. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 14:07 Enahs

a backyard swimming pool is vastly more dangerous to children than guns are, but you don't see people trying to ban swimming pools.

Because you can have sex in a swimming pool, but not in a gun.
Statistically cars are more dangerous then guns in this country (I believe…I am too lazy to look it up). So why are cars not banned? You can have sex in them.
What about planes, boats, trains? Sex in them.
Want to make sure guns can not be banned? Figure out a way to have sex in them.

I personally am not for banning guns…simple reason. There are more guns in this country then people, stopping law abiding citizens who just like to shoot at the range for fun is not going to remove ANY of the huge surplus of guns. It would do nothing in my opinion. I instead would prefer MUCH stricter punishment. That is Americans crime problem, it is the same damn people over and over committing the crimes. We should start chopping fingers and toes off for really bad crimes, along with prison. Also, every year we should randomly kill 10% of the people in jail “for life without the possibility of parole”.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

BluesNews community frappr page:
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

101. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 14:01 MeatForce

Yeesh.. WTF is that dude's problem? Brick Shithead is more like it..

But now that I think about it, WTF is up with ALL these attention whores posting nonsense around here lately?

GET A FUCKING GRIP, PEOPLE!!!!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

100. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 13:22 Zathrus

No, but the point is, it's not less safe with them, either

No, the point is that the comparison is completely invalid. The demographics, population density, and laws regarding guns are completely and utterly different.

IIRC, Freakanomics also tackles this one... along with largely debunking the "it's for the children!" argument that is used by the pro-gun control lobby -- a backyard swimming pool is vastly more dangerous to children than guns are, but you don't see people trying to ban swimming pools.

99. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 13:19 CJ_Parker

No, but the point is, it's not less safe with them, either.

How do you know? Do you live in some parallel universe where there exists a Switzerland w/o guns?

Fact is that quite a number of killings (shootings) in Switzerland are committed involving the issued army rifles.
Only God Himself knows whether the victims would still be alive today if the gun would not have been there or if the killer would have used a knife or a hammer or his bare hands or whatever else instead of the gun.

However, a lot of people -if given the choice- would probably always choose a gun for a killing instead of taking it up close to personal level. Stabbing is pretty cruel as is smashing someone's skull in. Pulling a trigger is a piece of cake in comparison. So if there had been no gun hmmm... what then...?

Not saying that "guns r teh devil". I live (quite happily, too!) in a country where guns are mostly banned from private ownership (Germany) so I really don't care too much whether you yanks think it's cool to shoot each other. Your problem.

Anyway, just some food for thought and as I said you can't compare Switzerland to the US on a whole.

98. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 12:54 Warhawk

Switzerland is definitely not a safe(r) place because of guns.

No, but the point is, it's not less safe with them, either.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: 8/20/06

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

97. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 12:24 CJ_Parker

I always remember reading that in Switzerland the firearms laws are even more liberal than in the US - the militia must have their service weapons at home, including the assault rifles that all (?) 21-32 year olds are given by the government. For a population of 6m there is anything between 1.2 and 3m guns. Yet they have some of the lowest violent crime figures in the world. Their politicians, etc. don't usually have heavy security. Yes, switzerland is super rich, so the poverty/crime link is less prevalent. But it's not the whole story.

It's a shame Bowling for Columbine didn't focus on that stuff more before it veered terribly off course to a NRA-bashing tedium.

Switzerland = bad comparison. It's true that anyone who was in the military gets issued an assault rifle but there are rather strict rules like you have to keep it locked up at home, safely out of reach of anyone else but you.

Secondly, Switzerland is 90% like bumfuck Wyoming. Small settlements/villages in the mountains. Switzerland is also a rich and wealthy country. Problems like drug abuse, drug dealing and all the other usual criminal crap is limited to only a handful of larger cities like Zurich, Basel, Bern, Geneva and (maybe) Zug and Luzern.

You just totally can't compare that to all of the United States. You'd need to take it to a state by state level and compare Switzerland to e.g. Wyoming as I said or some other scarcely populated, mountainous region in the US like Oregon or Washington state or something like that.
Switzerland is definitely not a safe(r) place because of guns.

96. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 11:58 xXBatmanXx

yea, if anyone deserves a boot, this idiot does.

Give you one guess who it probably is.
The posts are ridiculous.

FUNGS 53

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

95. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 11:53 TorTorden

What's Blue's policy on spamming? Because that was really annyoing.
yea, if anyone deserves a boot, this idiot does.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 11:54.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

94. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 11:48 nin

Yeah, and he registered today.

Another one for the fucktard filter...

93. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 11:42 Ecthelion

92. Re: Gun Control Aug 21, 2006, 10:36 Enahs

you want to live in a very sheltered place where nothing bad like that happens - you will never be happy. It doesn't exist. Bad shit happens even in the most remote of places (i.e.: no guns).
Even in the future where they have phasers (that can stun people) and not real guns bad things still happen all the time!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

BluesNews community frappr page:
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

91. Re: Gun Control Aug 21, 2006, 10:23 xXBatmanXx

When we still lived in an apartment (townhouse, actually), one of our neighbors and her boy friend were shot by her ex-husband. That asshole chased the bf down the street where my kids were playing and shot several rounds at him.

No one else was hurt, but that bastard, who murdered two people before selfishly shooting himself, could have killed my children.

That will give you an indication on where I stand on the issue of gun control. If he'd had a knife instead, he a) would not have endangered my kids, and b) could have been stopped much more easily.

I would rather face a man with a gun than a knife.

Your argument stems from the fact that you think something is dangerous and therefore should be eliminated because of your personal experience. The question that SHOULD come up is, "where did he get the gun?" or "Why did he have access to a gun?"

I am looking for jobs now to be a law enforcement officer.
I will take a very large pay cut to do something I have wanted to do since I was a small boy - even though I may end up getting shot at, I still have the stance that citizens of the US have the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
Officers have different stances on the "gun control" issue, but most of them don't really care if citizens arm themselves via legal process. It wouldn't matter if we banned guns or not, the bad guys will still have them.

To put a really big spin on your argument, St. Paul police a couple years ago had a call about a mentally handicapped person standing in the street with a katana. The police didn't shoot the guy per policy. Two cops were hurt pretty bad. Here is my version of your argument:
Had that person not been mentally handicapped - he would not have done that and those 2 cops wouldn't have been hurt.
I think we should eliminate all mentally handicapped people so this won't happen again.
(This isn't how I feel - it is a ridiculous statement to show how ludicrous Xeno's is)

If you have x Millions of people living in the world, even if 1% fuckup on a regular basis (which is a very small amount) it still ends up being xxx,xxx,xxx's of people doing bad things.

If you want to live in a very sheltered place where nothing bad like that happens - you will never be happy. It doesn't exist. Bad shit happens even in the most remote of places (i.e.: no guns).

FUNGS 53

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 10:25.

90. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 09:41 Constantin

I have raised this thread's post to 90 because I wanted to declare a sacred message you all:

nin LIKES THE BAND NINE INCH NAILS

That is all.

89. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 09:40 Constantin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 18:44.

88. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 09:40 Constantin

* REMOVED *

87. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2006, 09:40 Constantin

* REMOVED *

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo