Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

• John Carmack
    John Carmack Details id's New Direction on Next Generation is not really a Q&A, but rather an article-format recap of the keynote speech the id Software Technical director gave at QuakeCon 2006, the developer's outlining plans to change gears going forward: "There’s going to be value for at least one more generation in having the best high-tech graphics--being able to knock peoples' socks off, but increasingly, [impressing people is] going to come from money in the development budget--what you do with content rather than what you do with technology."
  • SiN Episodes
    The SiN Episodes Q&A on FiringSquad talks with Ritual's Levelord, Ken Harward, and Shawn Ketcherside about the next episode in their episodic shooter sequel as well as further releases supporting the debut installment: "We released around 4 Arena maps with the initial release, followed by another 3 in one of the recent game updates. We hope to release an additional few maps every couple of months. All of our modes will always continue to upgrade across every episode. This is one of the great things about episodic content--the products will get better and offer more functionality with every release. By Episode 3 I expect we'll have several multiplayer modes, tons of Arena maps, and not only will the AI in Episode 3 be outstanding, but that same AI will be retrofitted back to Episode 1. The Episodes will update like a MMO does, where the whole product updates all the time."
  • Grid Wars
    Grid Wars author's reflections on Eurogamer is an article-format conversation with the author of the game that closed down due to similarities with Geometry Wars: "I don't know if legally they have the right to shut it down - but I took it down out of respect for their developers and the cool work they do. I don't really think it is affecting their sales on Xbox 360 - but if they do want to move into the PC market then it's better if the confusion is cleared up," he conceded."
  • Casual Gaming
    The RealArcade Q&A on Gamezebo.com talks with Michael Schutzler of RealNetworks about their game distribution channel: "So we've been doing some digging into this. What we've discovered is that everyone plays casual games. Grandma and Grandpa are playing games. The kids are playing. And mom and dad are playing. This is the case in Japan, Germany, and in the US. Essentially, there is no real demographic for game play. Game purchasing, on the other hand, skews heavily female and that's true globally. In the US, game purchases are skewing about 65% female. In Europe and Japan, its more like 70+% And everywhere, its purchase are by women over 30."

View
7. Re: *blink* Aug 19, 2006, 12:40 Ratty

Did John Carmack just said that id basically needs to start producing CONTENT, rather than pretty tech demos?
Ha ha. No such luck. He's saying id will have to start producing content SOMEDAY soon, but for now knock your socks off graphics is still the most important aspect of a computer game and content still doesn't matter all that much in comparison.

The guy's intelligent so when he continues to say things like that and his company continues to produce titles like Doom 3, which sold incredibly well, I start feeling like there's something wrong with ME. Like there's something I just don't get but everybody else does.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky and too attached to the way they did things In My Day, I don't know. Went to the eye doctor yesterday and he prescribed ... *GASP* ... BIFOCALS!!!

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 18, 22:53 *blink* Creston
  2. Aug 19, 02:11  Re: *blink* Steele Johnson
  3. Aug 19, 02:18   Casual Gaming asrof
  4. Aug 19, 04:44   Re: *blink* Tango
  5. Aug 19, 09:56    Re: *blink* Gandhi
  6. Aug 19, 11:15     Re: *blink* MindStalkerReturned
  8. Aug 19, 12:58   Re: *blink* MMORPGHoD
>> 7. Aug 19, 12:40  Re: *blink* Ratty

footer

Blue's News logo