Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prey Patch, Content Plans

The Prey Weekly... Er... Monthly Update #24 on the 3D Realms Website written by Chris Rhinehart makes up for lost time in discussing the release of Human Head's first-person shooter, offering details on the coming first patch for the PC edition of the game, mentioning a 360 patch is also in the works, and taking the lid off plans to release more content for the game that includes some smaller maps and six new player characters. Here's a bit on the new stuff:

We're currently working on a 1.1 patch for Prey to fix several bugs and a couple of additions. Here is the (not final) list of changes:

• Fixed a crash at startup on some machines
    • Fixed an occasional crash on the dedicated server
    • Fixed a crash when using image_usecache cvar with very big textures. Textures whose lowest mip map doesn't fit will be default texture.
    • This was causing a crash when a modified prey was loading "Mother's Embrace".
    • Fixed a crash on some machines when reading savegames.
    • Some timedemo features not appearing if you restart between record/playback
    • Added widescreen resolutions to menus
    • Updated multiplayer browser to fix servers not showing up due to DNS resolution
    • Updated multiplayer browser not keeping join button up to date when server summary wasn't the active tab.
    • Updated multiplayer browser so punkbuster icons show up in their column properly
    • Updated multiplayer browser so mod games' icons show up properly
    • Updated multiplayer browser so server scanning is more consistent on slower connections
    • Fixed multiplayer weapon exploit
    • Venom is working on a 360 patch for Prey which will address the network lag issues on the 360 as well as fix several bugs there as well.

No ETA yet on the release of either of these patches, other than we hope to have them resolved and out very, very soon.

New Content for Prey
There's also new content for Prey coming soon -- still in the process of finalizing the new maps. We've read online that some people have requested maps that function well as 1v1 maps. So, we've taken that to heart and have been working on four maps that work better with a smaller number of people 2-4 players. Of course, you can still play with more than four in the maps, but they can get pretty insane.

Also, we're adding in six new player characters:

- Four female characters: Jen, Elhuit, Mother, and Becky (the blond victim you see occasionally on slabs in the single player Prey)
- Two Hunter characters: Hunter and Elite Hunter

Similar to the 1.1 patch, no ETA on the release on this, other than soon. We're still working on finishing the maps and play balancing them. We'll announce the release date for this, once we're closer to final. Watch 3DR's page, or Prey.com for that info.

Yes, this additional content will be released on the 360 as well. Further details about possible points cost of the extra content for the 360 has yet to be determined.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Aug 13, 2006, 06:54 Rseman

Probably a good thing you have no say in what I spend money on as, apparently, you would have me paying for something I don't need to;P

Also, just like in the PC world. If you don't have internet access, you can get game patches on magazines and the like. Also, MS offer up patch discs.

There's plenty to piss on Microsoft about without manufacturing falsehoods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: ... Aug 13, 2006, 04:35 Jerykk

But things like Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune and their ilk hold absolutely no interest for me. I play games to escape from reality.

Um, SoF wasn't a WW2 shooter and it certainly wasn't realistic (except for the violence).

Yeah, but it's not a conventional first person shooter; more a tactical/technical shooter. Still, it's refreshing to have a real world setting for a change.

Real world settings for a change? You must be joking. The overwhelming majority of current shooters are realistic military ones (or at least ones that take place in realistic settings). Aside from Prey, how many other Sci-Fi shooters came out this year?

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 04:38.

26. Re: Aug 12, 2006, 22:55 Smoove

But you pay for XBOX Live additional to your costs for your ISP. But hey, who am i to tell you on what you have to waste your money

Actually, to the best of my knowledge any xbox 360 owner with a broadband internet connection has access to parts of xbox live (including the patches) for free. It's the online gaming part that costs a fee.

$50 for a year doesn't bother me all that much considering most MMORPGs cost that much for just over 3 months. Yes, PS2 and PC games are generally free to play online, but I feel the overall experience and extra frills are worth it for xbox live. (I do respect those who would rather pay nothing and have a bare bones game-only experience though)

On an unrelated note, I took the final line (Yes, this additional content will be released on the 360 as well. Further details about possible points cost of the extra content for the 360 has yet to be determined.) to only be in respect to the content, not the patch. It should still be free. As for the extra content, if they charge for it on the 360, I imagine they'll charge for it on the PC (much like oblivion did with it's extra content.)

25. Re: ...theyarecomingforyou Aug 12, 2006, 15:21 Optimaximal

My problem is that it plays out as badly as Eureka. It's just a shitty idea to have an indian dad whose entire existence was based on holding onto the past lead his son through a spiritual journey as if he understands what the fuck is happening. It just comes off as a very bad B-movie.
It's based on 'The Heroes Journey', like a shedload of sci-fi and fantasy plots that involves some sort of mythology. Sure, it's been done before, but it works.

No it wouldn't - that's my exact point. You don't need crazy sci-fi/horror shit to make a game good... in fact when they head down that route the plot usually goes right out the window and we all wonder why they even bother with a plot. We need well thought through plots and enemies that don't appear as just cannon fodder. It's only boring because you have no imagination and can't see past the shit the game and movie industries keep pumping out.
Would you play a FPS version of Republic: The Revolution?

24. Re: ... Aug 12, 2006, 13:22 Ratty

without mutants, without aliens, without zombies, without crazy sci-fi weapons, without cliched ultra-bad guys and set in the modern day (not another WWII shooter)?
See, I complain about the opposite. There's just too damn many realistic shooters nowdays and not enough fantasy scifi ones. If I see one more realistic WWII title from an Eastern European developer I will scream. RTCW was good cause it had zombies and futuristic weapons and shit. But things like Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune and their ilk hold absolutely no interest for me. I play games to escape from reality.

23. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2006, 13:05 eunichron

I downloaded the 360 demo just to see how it looked and I was amazed at just how lousy it looked in comparison to the PC version
Were you playing it in HD? I just recently came into some expendable cash, so I bought a 26" LCD HDTV and an Xbox 360. After playing 360 on an HDTV, I'll never go back to any other console (except maybe SNES). Granted my PC is beginning to age (about 2 years), but right now all the games I have for 360 blow my PC away in terms of graphics.

I like Prey. I haven't beaten it yet, but I've gotten a good ways into it. I think it adds some new ideas to the genre that others can build off of, which is what FPS is lacking in these days; ideas. There are so many shooters that come out that add nothing to the genre. So even a game like Prey that adds something in the ways of physics or graphics is welcome and appreciated, IMO.

22. Re: ... Aug 12, 2006, 12:03 Tango

Yeah my favourite bits of HL were fighting the troops coming down from the Osprey, or hiding from the Apache chopper - human enemies. While obviously Black Mesa was a fantasy location, it was cool to go into the kind of places we all imagine Area 51 might be.

I'd like the same in RTS, too.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 12:04.

21. GRAW Aug 12, 2006, 09:51 Flo

I just bought an xbox 360 along with Ghost Recon AW. Awesome game, way better than the PC version.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

20. ... Aug 12, 2006, 08:59 theyarecomingforyou

Try Ghost Recon: AW.
Yeah, but it's not a conventional first person shooter; more a tactical/technical shooter. Still, it's refreshing to have a real world setting for a change.
Try F.E.A.R.
Again, it has sci-fi/horror nonsense - plus it has stereotypical baddies. Not the real world setting I was suggesting.
That would be boring.
No it wouldn't - that's my exact point. You don't need crazy sci-fi/horror shit to make a game good... in fact when they head down that route the plot usually goes right out the window and we all wonder why they even bother with a plot. We need well thought through plots and enemies that don't appear as just cannon fodder. It's only boring because you have no imagination and can't see past the shit the game and movie industries keep pumping out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. No subject Aug 12, 2006, 08:43 Hump

I downloaded the 360 demo just to see how it looked and I was amazed at just how lousy it looked in comparison to the PC version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: Aug 12, 2006, 07:48 Kajetan

I can't speak for every game on the 360, but when any of the games we've got are patched, you get the patch free, as one would expect

But you pay for XBOX Live additional to your costs for your ISP. But hey, who am i to tell you on what you have to waste your money

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 07:48.

17. On-line Aug 12, 2006, 06:01 Zoomboy27

I play it on-line all the time and it's a blast. The basics are there for a solid good time and MP spirit-walking is just a unique and cool combat mode with some interesting cost-benefit choices. The falling sideways death is always cool. The only peeve I have is the noobs who forget to change their Character name from Tommy. It was annoying in Team DM to have me, Tommy, Tommy__, Tommy_ VS. carlos, s-Pak, Tommy___, Tommy____, Tommy_____

As for the single player, the cheesy plot works enough to get me into the game and to enjoy the game-play features. Portals, Wall- and ceiling-walking and -fighting, Spirit-walking, and spirit-world re-birth after death are solid features around which to build an out-of-the-ordinary FPS game.

As for the cost for the XBoxLive, that's the console users' cross to bear. We PC gamers have certainly paid the price with a lot of our favourite games being butchered in the console cause.

16. Re: Aug 12, 2006, 05:39 Rseman

I can't speak for every game on the 360, but when any of the games we've got are patched, you get the patch free, as one would expect. Extra content often, not always, does cost extra. I've paid for extra content, other than Live Arcade stuff a couple of times now and have been well pleased with it.

15. Re: ...theyarecomingforyou Aug 12, 2006, 05:03 Zephalephelah

Oh so, just because he's an old dude we have to believe him?

Um... okay then.

14. Re: ...theyarecomingforyou Aug 12, 2006, 04:21 Cynips

It's his grandfather, not his dad. Of course he understands what is happening. He's old and spiritual.
Touchι!

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

13. Re: ...theyarecomingforyou Aug 12, 2006, 02:49 Jerykk

It's just a shitty idea to have an indian dad whose entire existence was based on holding onto the past lead his son through a spiritual journey as if he understands what the fuck is happening.

It's his grandfather, not his dad. Of course he understands what is happening. He's old and spiritual.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 02:50.

12. Re: ...theyarecomingforyou Aug 12, 2006, 02:44 Zephalephelah

That's sort of the problem I saw. Look, my problem isn't that it is Sci-Fi. My problem is that it plays out as badly as Eureka. It's just a shitty idea to have an indian dad whose entire existence was based on holding onto the past lead his son through a spiritual journey as if he understands what the fuck is happening. It just comes off as a very bad B-movie.

The odd thing is that I think that this is what the developers wanted. Sort of like the TF2 characters being cloned from the Incredibles. It's just too gimmicky for me.

11. Re: ... Aug 12, 2006, 00:45 Jedi Master

Why can't we have a game based on Earth, without mutants, without aliens, without zombies, without crazy sci-fi weapons, without cliched ultra-bad guys and set in the modern day (not another WWII shooter)?

Try Ghost Recon: AW.

Or a mysterious conspiracy plot with government agents out to get you?

Try F.E.A.R.

10. ROFL Aug 12, 2006, 00:40 Kxmode

Yes, this additional content will be released on the 360 as well. Further details about possible points cost of the extra content for the 360 has yet to be determined.

Nice. Basically pay for a patch with some extra content to justify the cost. Nevermind the fact that if someone doesn't want to pay for this patch their SOL. The more I see the way things deploy on the 360 the least I want to buy that console. Nintendo's system is looking more encouraging.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode

9. No subject Aug 12, 2006, 00:39 beigemore

That would be boring.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo