Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• id Software
    Id's Todd Hollenshead Talks New IP on Next Generation talks with the id Software CEO about their next project, though he is basically mum on the subject. He did have this general point about it: "I see one of the strengths of the company as an IP generator. Really, for us, our independence depends on every game we make being successful. And if it’s not a success, I think we risk our independence." Also, techFEAR's QuakeCon 2006 id Software Q&A attempts to recap the panel discussion at the recent id-centric gathering.
  • Warhammer Online
    The Warhammer Online Q&A on Warhammer Alliance.com (thanks Shelby) talks with Chip Lange of EA about the acquisition of Mythic and Warhammer Online, learning that the support that couldn't save other EA MMORPGs from failing will be an aid to this project: "We don't discuss the terms of the deal. However, Mythic will benefit from EA's wealth of resources in the game creation space. EA features the largest and most expansive game development operation in the world and there are numerous resources for the Mythic team to tap into as they continue to up the bar in the production of world class online gaming experiences. Mythic also will benefit from the support of EA's publishing capacity. EA brings the most dynamic and powerful publishing organizations in the gaming space to the table and will be able to help expand the size of the overall launch for Warhammer as we look to bring this product to market in as big a way as possible. More players means a more fun community and game experience in Warhammer for the fans?. which is a good thing."
  • Medieval II: Total War
    The Medieval II: Total War Q&A on FiringSquad talks with (Buffalo) Bob Smith of Creative Assembly about their coming RTS sequel: "Aside from the improved graphics there’s a huge amount to offer to those players who enjoyed the first Medieval. Rome: Total War gave us a great foundation but we’ve taken this and raised the bar right across the board, from the campaign game to the real-time battles while areas like diplomacy and AI have progressed hugely in the four years since the original. With Medieval II, we’re delivering a game that has, for many, the perfect Total War setting and that has been overhauled to create the best Total War experience ever."
  • 2Moons
    David Perry Talks Acclaim Deal on Next Generation talks with the former Shiny dude about his upcoming MMORPG collaboration with Acclaim: "I have a lot of consultants signed up now. They cover everything from localization, to financing, to design, to art, to distribution, to writing. So when I get buried, I just pick up the phone and call in the troops. They've been working with me for months on this project, wishing to remain nameless as they are also building some of the most anticipated games you have coming out this year."
  • Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising
    The Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising Q&A Part One on Gamehelper talks with Stieg Hedlund about Perpetual Entertainment's upcoming toga-clad MMORPG: "It was two books really – Virgil’s 'The Aeneid' and Ovid’s Metamorphoses – both of those had the dual focus that our game has of being historical and at the same time mythological. Much like the work of Homer, which Virgil was trying to emulate, sets the foundation of Rome both historically and mythologically – it begins with the end of the Trojan War and Aeneas escaping and the travails he goes through in order to get to Italy and found what becomes the Roman Nation. What Virgil is essentially doing is establishing [a more noble root to the founding of Rome] at the behest of Augustus Caesar, the first emperor of Rome. Ovid’s book is really a compendium on various myths – one being the basis for Romeo and Juliet for example."
  • Canipes
    The Canipes Q&A on MMO Portal introduces this independent MMORPG by talking with Bernhard Sirl, CEO of German developer Evil Grin Studios: "The whole game concept of Canipes goes in a completely new direction of online role-playing games. The setting won’t be comparable with any other existing game in this genre. We built a detail rich world within a time after a big catastrophe that’s comparable with steampunk or the environment of the movies “Waterworld” and “Mad Max”. As you can see, we completely go without any medieval fantasy or science-fiction influences. There won’t be any magic casters or known fantasy races in our title."
  • Madden NFL 07
    Boom! There's a new Madden NFL 07 Q&A on IGN chatting with Josh Loorman about the coming installment in the football series: "We're really excited. This is probably my favorite version of the game. In a lot of different areas we added tons of feature, like in Franchise, Superstar, gameplay, the core running game elements. Everyone is really happy with the final product. It's really tough when you finish the game because you have to wait for it to come and see what everyone's reaction is. The funny thing about us is that we're already working on next year. We start incorporating feedback after the game ships but we kind of hit the ground running because we're always short on time."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 20:38 EternityMatters

"We've had some other projects which have not lasted as long in the space as UO, but the learnings in game design which have come from those projects make EA a better partner in this space."

Translation: Our numerous failures more than any other publisher make us a better partner.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 20:23  famished 

expansive/expensive? you be the judge

5. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 18:08 Awesome Spume

Let's not forget this gem from Blue himself...

learning that the support that couldn't save other EA MMORPGs from failing will be an aid to this project (Warhammer Online)

Nice catch.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.starshipsofa.com/

4. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 16:03 dubfanatic

Let's not forget this gem from Blue himself...

learning that the support that couldn't save other EA MMORPGs from failing will be an aid to this project (Warhammer Online)

3. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 12:53 Semantics

If they're working on games that we the public are looking forward to, why would they hide in the shadows?

I think they mean that they don't want it to be public that they are working on Dave Perry's game because they are working for whatever other companies also. I'm sure they'll get credit for whatever other game they are working on, they just don't want credit for this one.

2. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2006, 12:04 Dmitri_M

I have a lot of consultants signed up now....wishing to remain nameless as they are also building some of the most anticipated games you have coming out this year.

Witness the workings of the well oiled hype machine

1. No subject Aug 10, 2006, 09:50 the_culture

Wow, this morning's round of Q&As have some really great quotes; where do I begin?

I have a lot of consultants signed up now....wishing to remain nameless as they are also building some of the most anticipated games you have coming out this year.

If they're working on games that we the public are looking forward to, why would they hide in the shadows?

It's really tough when you finish the game because you have to wait for it to come and see what everyone's reaction is. The funny thing about us is that we're already working on next year. We start incorporating feedback after the game ships but we kind of hit the ground running because we're always short on time.

Translation: Since we own the NFL license for another 126 years, we're just going to continue pumping the out without trying to innovate.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo