Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Server Shutdowns

The Armies of Exigo Website (thanks Frans) has word that the multiplayer servers for Black Hole's RTS game will be going offline as of October 1, 2006, saying: "You may continue to play the game up until the closure date, although certain community programs may begin to close down prior to that date." The update points to this information page that outlines more servers that are going away:

Servers for the games listed below will be shut down on the indicated dates. You may continue to play the games online up until these dates, but certain community programs may begin to close down prior to the shutdown dates.

All of us at EA would like to thank you for your valued participation in our online gaming community and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond.

If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, please visit http://support.ea.com.

Thank you,
Electronic Arts

August 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PS2
FIFA Soccer 2005 for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 Demo for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PS2
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for Xbox
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PS2
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for PC
NBA LIVE 05 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for Xbox
NCAA® Football 2005 for PS2
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 Demo for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PS2
NHL® 2005 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PC
Total Club Manager 06 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PS2
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for Xbox

October 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
Madden NFL 2005 for PS2
Madden NFL 2005 for Xbox
Madden NFL 2005 for PC
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for PS2
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for Xbox

Previously Shut Down Online Service
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PlayStation 2
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for Xbox

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

76. Re: ... Aug 8, 2006, 06:12 Riley Pizt

Thank you for again backing up my original point.
I did not substantiate your point unless your point was that Valve gives poor support for its older games in comparison to companies other than EA and Microsoft. Valve supports its older games simply as a sales vehicle. Otherwise it wouldn't require Steam to play them.

So anyone that doesn't share your viewpoint is a Valve fanboy and likes things insert up their rear?
No, not just anyone, but you, most definitely.

Epic does support their games well, particularly UT, but with UT2k3/4 they just cloned the Q3 gameplay and slapped out a few bonus packs that weren't very good.
UT2004 is quite different from Quake 3. The fact that you would make such a ludicrous comment demonstrates that you simply haven't played it or played all of its various gameplay modes. UT2004's vehicular combat alone makes it head and shoulders above Quake 3 from a gameplay perspective.

The same is true of Valve today, releasing the absolute bare minimum and adding what should have been in the original in updates, telling the community they should be grateful
While that is certainly true of Valve, that is not true of Epic at all. Even out of the box, Epic's games have always had a substantial amount of content. UT2004 came with an almost ridiculous amount of content and Epic even added more throughout the year following its release.

.. better than most but far from amazing.
I would call the $29.99 I spent for the special edition of UT2004 at release an amazing bargain especially when you consider that it came with a Logitech headset in the box and given all of the free bonus content Epic added to the game afterwards.

So whilst you carry on with your immature Valve bashing
Actually it's quite immature of you to attack me every time I or others criticize Valve. You can't effectively rebut my criticism of the company because it is justified so you simply whine about the fact that I am criticizing Valve. If you want to see true immaturity take a look at yourself.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 06:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. It's not a dump truck! Aug 8, 2006, 01:08 Lev Arris

I heard that EA had to drop these servers to free up some tubes.

74. ... Aug 7, 2006, 22:27 theyarecomingforyou

Valve supports its older games simply as a means to sell its current games to a captive audience.
Thank you for again backing up my original point.

Spoken like a true Valve toady. You should pull that Valve pacifier out of your mouth (or your ass).
So anyone that doesn't share your viewpoint is a Valve fanboy and likes things insert up their rear? Nice arguement there.

Epic has given more support and free content for its games than Valve (especially post Steam) and hasn't required that its customers install salesware and spyware to keep playing its older games online.
Epic does support their games well, particularly UT, but with UT2k3/4 they just cloned the Q3 gameplay and slapped out a few bonus packs that weren't very good... better than most but far from amazing. The same is true of Valve today, releasing the absolute bare minimum and adding what should have been in the original in updates, telling the community they should be grateful - CS:Source and HL2:DM were basically just engines and core gameplay, whilst the levels followed over many, many months. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't see the problems with Valve, particularly as they behave today - however, I criticise them for what they do wrong and don't make up sensationalist SHIT like you do. Valve were a good company that has gone downhill in recent years... not some monopolist, capitalistic, amoral, fascist shit-hole like you describe.

So whilst you carry on with your immature Valve bashing everyone else will enjoy a reasonable, civilised discussion, ignoring your terrible dribble.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

73. Re: ... Aug 7, 2006, 19:55 Riley Pizt

On the other foot, Valve aren't releasing the same game with a new engine 4 times in a row (UT, 2K3, 2K4 & 2K7) are they?
The four UT games are NOT all the same. UT2004 is substantially different from both UT and even UT2003. I don't know what UT2007 will be actually like until after it is released, but it will most likely be substantially different from the previous ones. The irony of your false statement is that some fans of each UT game complain vociferously on the official forums that successive versions aren't similar enough to the previous ones and therefore they don't migrate to the newer UT games.

Regarding Valve's games, the Source engine versions of Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, and Half-Life are more similar to their Half-Life 1 versions than the UT series of games are to each other.

72. Re: ... Aug 7, 2006, 17:19 nin

2K4 wasn't a new engine...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

71. Re: ... Aug 7, 2006, 17:09 Optimaximal

Epic has given more support and free content for its games than Valve (especially post Steam) and hasn't required that its customers install salesware and spyware to keep playing its older games online...
On the other foot, Valve aren't releasing the same game with a new engine 4 times in a row (UT, 2K3, 2K4 & 2K7) are they?

70. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 15:47 Quaternion

"Before you go kissing Microsoft's ass, you need to realize that Microsoft just shutdown online play at Zone.com for its own game titles like Motorcross Madness 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 3 & 4, and Links 2001 & 2003. Microsoft is almost as bad as EA on that score."

However, Ensemble took time out of their schedule to find a solution for their fans. Age1, Age2 and their expansions now work with Gamespy Arcade. AOM and its expansion are currently being tested with Gamespy Arcade. Age of Empires was released in 1998 and it's still being supported.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 15:47.

69. Re: ... Aug 7, 2006, 11:08 Riley Pizt

You confirmed my point - Valve still support their games.
Valve supports its older games simply as a means to sell its current games to a captive audience. That is why it requires Steam to play them.

I won't dignify the rest of your post with a response as I'm tired of your unreasonable negativity towards Valve.
Spoken like a true Valve toady. You should pull that Valve pacifier out of your mouth (or your ass).

No-one else has even come close to the amount of support offered to Half-Life and its mod developers as Valve.
Epic has given more support and free content for its games than Valve (especially post Steam) and hasn't required that its customers install salesware and spyware to keep playing its older games online. Epic has also supported its mod developers better than Valve as it gives everyone access to much of the same information and tools that its licensees get, and it has sponsored two major mod contests which gave out substantial monetary and other prizes. Valve on the other hand even locks its SDK up in Steam and doesn't even provide tools to create or even read its proprietary archive files.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 11:14.

68. ... Aug 7, 2006, 07:27 theyarecomingforyou

Valve supports online play of its older games only if you agree to allow it to invade your privacy
You confirmed my point - Valve still support their games. I won't dignify the rest of your post with a response as I'm tired of your unreasonable negativity towards Valve. No-one else has even come close to the amount of support offered to Half-Life and its mod developers as Valve... get over it.

Ah the short attention spawns of console gamers.

You know there are some PC games that are 7-8 years old that STILL have servers up? a year and a half is NOT a decent lifespan for an online game.
A year and a half? Motocross Madness 2 is over 5yrs old, as is Mechwarrior 4 and Links 2001. I criticised Links 2003 for being too recent but that itself is 4yrs old. I certainly wasn't referring to the support for EA games, which is a disgrace; shutting down games from last-but-one season as they're about to launch a new version is a disgusting display of capitalism. I do think all companies should open up their online player to allow 3rd party server if and when they decide to shut down multiplayer support but as long as I get long enough to play it myself I am happy - I tend to play games for 2-3yrs, apart from Half-Life which managed 5 or 6, as after that the game is so dated and even if I wanted to play online there would be very few people wanting to do so.

Now im thinking the server-shutdown is because u want me to buy the 2006 version, and im starting to hate EA. Well, if thats true, Congratulations. because tommorrow im going to buy FIFA 06.
You're the cause of the problem. If you don't like the way EA treats you but you like their games just pirate them until they change the business ethics. Supporting EA sports games, when the support is shit and gameplay barely any different from the year before, is unacceptable and hard to justify.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

67. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 07:05 Ledge

"Now im thinking the server-shutdown is because u want me to buy the 2006 version, and im starting to hate EA. Well, if thats true, Congratulations. because tommorrow im going to buy FIFA 06."

if EA goes true to form Rob, you'll be playing this online for less than 12months. happy gaming.

66. Ea Reaction Aug 7, 2006, 06:05 Robfromholland

Mail from me to Ea Customer Support:

WHY????? Why did u Shut down the servers for all 2005 titles? WHY~???? Would you please explain it. Give us a reason. even if u give a false reason its fine by me. But please dont leave me in the dark!!!
Now im thinking the server-shutdown is because u want me to buy the 2006 version, and im starting to hate EA. Well, if thats true, Congratulations. because tommorrow im going to buy FIFA 06. I maybe think really bad of you, but i love your products very much. But i dont want to hate you like lots of people on the internet. for example: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=69679 On this forum u will find reactions of other people, most of them r really mad at EA. Furious, is probably a better word. If u want to stay a big player in the games industry you should care about your customers. Like i said above: ' Give them a Reason' Now you are just arrogant. There r lots of people calling for a mass EA boycot on those forums. i will never do that off course because i like your games to much.
I hope you will reply this email. if u care about me: 'the Custumor' u will..

Sorry for my English, i dropped out of school when i was 14.

Greetings

Rob

Groningen - The Netherlands

Response by EA:

Hi,

Thanks for writing us at EA Technical Support. I understand that you are currently having issues with FIFA 2005 being retired from online play since August 1, 2006. I apologize for your situation, and the inconvenience that this causes you.

We appreciate your enthusiasm for our products. We understand when we retire an online service there will be players that are disappointed. As the 2006 titles have been out for almost a year, and the 2007 titles are just around the corner, we must dedicate our resources to the upcoming titles so that we can continue to offer the best online gaming experience available. Thank you again, and we hope you continue to enjoy the online offerings in the 2006 and soon to be released 2007 EA Sports titles.

Leonard B.
EA Technical Support

65. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 05:48 Ledge

"Before you go kissing Microsoft's ass, you need to realize that Microsoft just shutdown online play at Zone.com for its own game titles like Motorcross Madness 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 3 & 4, and Links 2001 & 2003. Microsoft is almost as bad as EA on that score."

at least we got a few years out of those games.

64. No subject Aug 6, 2006, 14:19 Ouch

I don't buy EA games anymore and this is one of the main reasons. Why bother if they are just going to pull the plug next year ?

You can be sure that NFS MW will get yanked before long as well. So will their upcoming titles. What really bugs me is that they have been shown to have client based server programs for at least some of the titles yanked and they refused to release them even as unsupported addons.

I dislike EA more and more every year. Ruining good franchises just isn't enough. Now they have to kill the older titles that didn't suck.

63. Re: Online Service Subscriptions Aug 6, 2006, 06:09 Armengar

I presume that these games need an authentication server to work so NO workarounds can be had unless the gamesa re patched. This pretty much stinks.

What is the disadvantage to using a pirated game? May aswell use a patched/cracked server if you buy the game "late" as it has a 2 year lifespan now - in some cases a one year lifespan (there is an 06 in there too!).

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

62. Re: Online Service Subscriptions Aug 5, 2006, 16:45 sponge

Hell I could load up the near 12 year old QUAKE and find servers running for it.

Quake actually hit it's 10th birthday back in June. Doom2 is 12 years old, Doom1 is 13.

61. Re: Online Service Subscriptions Aug 5, 2006, 13:48 Awesome Spume

I hope that someone with EA affiliations reads this particular Zeph post.

They're bastards and all but do they really deserve that?

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.starshipsofa.com/

60. Re: Online Service Subscriptions Aug 5, 2006, 02:13 Fion

"Actually, that's a pretty decent life for those sorts of games,"

Ah the short attention spawns of console gamers.

You know there are some PC games that are 7-8 years old that STILL have servers up? a year and a half is NOT a decent lifespan for an online game. Hell I could load up the near 12 year old QUAKE and find servers running for it.

59. Online Service Subscriptions Aug 4, 2006, 23:56 Zephalephelah

It does appear that our world is moving away from client-bandwidth servers to developer-bandwidth servers. And I expect that these are growing pains for the industry as it tries to figure out how to cope with lack-luster performance from their online titles. However, I think that the real problem results from lack-luster games.

Even Windows doesn't come out every year; but these are mostly sports titles & the highest selling units are those that capitalize on the previous year’s of amazing athletes and the expectations for their abilities to continue. Combine that with Fantasy-WhateverSport and you end up with a Sports Simulator for the upcoming year.

Now I’ve never been interested in Sports games because I see through the stupidity of most professional sports (i.e. these athletes rarely EVER grew up in the same state as you, let alone give a shit about your community or how you feel about them. It’s all money. A long time ago it meant something, now it’s all about 170 million dollar salaries and booth tickets that cost thousands. It’s almost useless to admire a LOCATION-specific sport. Which is why I love UFC so much &#61514;.

At any rate, the rest of these games are failures for other reasons; but this should not impact the human recipient of a piece of shit software. If a game is unpopular, that’s fine. But if you are going to pull the plug on such a game then a few things need to be addressed:

1: Keep records of player email registration online playing time, especially recent history.
2: Offer free, newer games to gamers who will be impacted (now you see the reason for point 1).
3: The free games do not have to be top-titles.

Result, no one can be rightly upset. You’ve continued to service the end-user. They might have loved Whatever-Game, but you have done your part to continue your relationship with that customer. Failure to do otherwise or complete lack of anything useful will make people angry with your uncaring, greedy corporate entity.

I hope that someone with EA affiliations reads this particular Zeph post.

58. Re: ... Aug 4, 2006, 22:50 Riley Pizt

Actually, that's a pretty decent life for those sorts of games,
It's NOT decent at all when you consider that Microsoft has made no sequels to those games for the PC. In its shutdown notice Microsoft actually had the gall to suggest customers of those games migrate to XBOX versions to be able to play them online. At least EA does offer sequels for its discontinued games for the PC.

Whilst there will still be a few people wanting to play the numbers would be so low by now it just isn't worthwhile.
Certainly it is worthwhile because the resources needed are so negligible especially to a huge corporation like Microsoft.

try and avoid talking about Valve for at least one topic.
Imbecile, since you and another Valve lackey below brought up the subject, I will and have addressed it.

Valve still support their games
Valve supports online play of its older games only if you agree to allow it to invade your privacy and agree to use its bloated storefront software known as Steam. On the other hand, many other developers and publishers like Activision continue to allow online play of their older games and not only don't foist such burdensome changes upon their customers, in some cases they even reduce the burden by removing the CD key restrictions. I will save my praise for companies like those that deserve it not Valve.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 22:56.

57. ... Aug 4, 2006, 22:20 theyarecomingforyou

Before you go kissing Microsoft's ass, you need to realize that Microsoft just shutdown online play at Zone.com for its own game titles like Motorcross Madness 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 3 & 4, and Links 2001 & 2003. Microsoft is almost as bad as EA on that score.
Actually, that's a pretty decent life for those sorts of games, with the exception of Links 2003 as that's a bit too recent. Whilst there will still be a few people wanting to play the numbers would be so low by now it just isn't worthwhile... however, the same cannot be said about EA games for the 2005 season.

Oh, and Smiley... try and avoid talking about Valve for at least one topic. Valve still support their games - you should be praising them.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo