Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sword of the Stars Demo

The promised demo for Sword of the Stars is now available, offering the chance to try out Kerberos Productions' upcoming 4X space strategy game. The demo offers a map with 40 star systems, and includes solo and multiplayer support. The download debuted on FilePlanet (registration required), and it is now also available on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Computer Games, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, VGPRO, and Worthplaying.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Regarding Homeworld Cataclysm Aug 2, 2006, 08:26 Grinningman

Bossman isn't a dev, a beta tester I think. But whatever.

Here are the credits for Homeworld Cataclysm:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/homeworld-cataclysm/credits

Here are the members of Kerberos productions:

http://sots.rorschach.net/About_Kerberos_Productions

There were three designers and one lead designer for HW:C. Two of those three designers are responsible for SotS. I think the lead designer for SotS did a lot more on HW:C than write the manual.

I agree the tutorial for the demo is pretty woeful, but I'm really enjoying it anyway. It takes a while playing before you get the gist of it (especially tactical combat). Have a look at the forums http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum if you're interested.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 01:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Well, blah Jul 26, 2006, 14:15 Suddenly_Dead

EDIT: Spume says if you click on the scrolling banner at the bottom it brings up another screen in the top right of the corner that lets you click through that turns' events.

Yeah, it does, but it's small and awkward. I prefer having everything laid out before me. You can get an "Event History", but it requires a few clicks that I would rather not do every single turn.

Bad design.

28. Re: Well, blah Jul 26, 2006, 08:49 Bill Nakano

Space Empires V is out this year so fingers crossed for that but I don't envy anyone releasing a game to go up against GalCiv2. I didn't like the demo I played but it's the 4X to beat right now. Haven't tried the SOTS demo and it looks like I won't be.

EDIT: Spume says if you click on the scrolling banner at the bottom it brings up another screen in the top right of the corner that lets you click through that turns' events.
This comment was edited on Jul 26, 08:51.

27. Regarding Homeworld Cataclysm Jul 26, 2006, 03:42 Ramshackle

I followed Homeworld: Cataclysm pretty hardcore back in the day and I feel the need to clear this up... as far as I know this wasn't made by the _team_ the made Homeworld: Cataclysm. It was made by a few guys that worked on it. The lead designer on SOTS was a guy who was contracted to write the story for HW:C but not a designer. The other designer/producer on SOTS was a junior designer on HW:C. The two coders were junior coders on HW:C. This team does not have the lead or senior designers, no lead coder or senior coders and no art director or even any of the artists... this does not add up to the team that made HW:C.

Obviously these guys are into much different games then the HW:C team.

26. Tutorial Jul 26, 2006, 02:59 HardCore

They really could change the game experience alot with a real tutorial.

Having to read all the things you could do, then going to some other screen, is pretty bad. A real tutorial that "shows you how" as you do it, is much better.

Bad first impression, making the game too much of an inconvenience rather than enjoyable.

Too bad I was looking forward to trying it but even free i couldn't spend more than half an hour with it.

25. Well, blah Jul 26, 2006, 00:54 Suddenly_Dead

The game drags on too long. I had a massive four turn battle against the AI, and in the end just had to turn the thing off. The loading times when there are sixty ships per side are ridiculous (on the order of 5 minutes or more), and to have to be subjected to them every time you click the turn button is exhausting.

The game would be practically nothing without the tactical combat, which is why gameplay as a whole is so destroyed by the loading times. The diplomacy system is weak, there is almost non-existant strategy involved around developing planets, and so on.

The interface is also horrific. Who gave them the idea of doing the research section in a 3D cylinder? It's a pain in the neck to navigate. The voices that blabbered fairly useless information to me were not great, but if I disabled them there was practically no way for me to know when, for example, I completed a research project and had to assign another one. There is a stupid ticker at the bottom of the screen that shows what's happened every turn, but you have to wait for the whole thing to scroll to what you want to know. What's wrong with the "log" thing that SE IV and Galciv 2 use?

Simplification simply for the sake of simplification is not a good idea. They also should have actually thought about what makes a user interface bearable before going all "oooooh, 3d shiny gradient lalala!!!". And how deaf must they have been to not notice how stupid the voices sound? I'd like to kick their testers in the nads, seriously.

And WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE LOADING TIMES?

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 00:58.

24. Re: SPAM Jul 25, 2006, 23:39 Camaro76

why do they think people will click on that shit

They're not for you to click on really, they're for the search engines to pick up on, so that they artificially boost the site rankings of the sites on that spam list. The goal is to get those sites on the first 2 pages of search engines where they will appear more "relevant" thus getting more clicks and ad revenue. The more links to a particular site, the more important the site must be (according to the logic of search engines like Google).

Hopefully Blue will put an end to this scheme by deleting that jerk's posts.

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

23. Old school Jul 25, 2006, 23:16 Cheese

Ok im back after a third try. And im afriad to tell you this game sucks, Its not even good in any area.

Im starved for some good turn base action too but this is pushing it.

Reach for the Stars was miles better than this.

Sorry i tried it agian sheesh.\ gave me massive headache must play good game to wash the filth off me.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 23:23.

22. Re: Worth it ? Jul 25, 2006, 22:36 Bucky

And it needed multiple interface updates after release.

A few, specifically a fleet manager and some tweaking to auto-pilot and constructor radius lines. SotS is going to need some updates too. The most glaring one is the tech 'tree'. Is a mess to navigate, and finding out what techs do is unbelieveably annoying (double click to show, double back out). Why not make it show on hover, or have a split screen to get rid of all the in-and-out?

And why all the plugging for GalCiv2? If it's the be-all-end-all of 4X, why has SotS recieved a lot of praise from game previewers? Maybe you need to stop comparing apples to oranges, GalCiv2 and SotS are very different games.

Previews, and reviews for that matter, are generally worthless. See recent reviews of NCAA 2007 for the PSP for a few good examples of this. The reason gamers here are comparing GC2 and SotS is that both are 4X space games and even though they differ in many ways there really isn't much that is current to compare SotS to. Edit: I'd rather have a gamer's opinion than anything else and it helps even more if the new game is being compared to one that is already known.

While my original post seemed that I dismissed it quickly, I did not. I've even played some more since that post in case I was judging too quickly. The research screen drives me nuts. The interface itself, while simple, is hard to actually use thanks to small and very sensitive toggle buttons/sliders/pie charts. The combat screen was very unresponsive for me, sometimes requiring several clicks to even get the move order icon to show (this may be due to game mechanics, but I don't believe so). IMO the tactical battles only really served to get in the way of gameplay. If I'm using the simulation for every battle what's the point?

What are the bets?

Dev.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
This comment was edited on Jul 25, 22:39.

21. On second thought Jul 25, 2006, 21:22 Cheese

I went to the web site and did some research only to find out the guys who did homeworld cat worked on this game, so I said to myself let me give this another try just to see if I had a bad game going or something, afterall it did get some good previews so I must re-try this, lucky i didnt delete the exe.

so agian I will give this a go simply because im human and us humans get things wrong time to time esp when we rush to judgement. be back with final feeback in a while. cracks knuckles

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 21:46.

20. Re: Worth it ? Jul 25, 2006, 21:11 Bossman

What are the bets?
How about someone who's enjoying the game?

Seriously, I couldn't care less if these guys hate it (it's 3 out of what, 4000+ downloaders?), but that statement made me feel like they weren't even trying the game because they've got their heart set on GalCiv 2. I've been playing 4X games since Reach for the Stars and ever since the MoO3 catastrophy, I've longed for a game that returns to the simplicity of MoO1. Sword of the Stars is bringing that simple yet addictive gameplay back with some new tricks.

19. Re: Worth it ? Jul 25, 2006, 20:39 nin

What are the bets?

dev?

fanboy?

rabid fanboy?

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Worth it ? Jul 25, 2006, 20:27 Bossman

I can sense deja'vu in that it looks and seem ALOT like Gal Civ 2.
Excuse me? Last I checked, GalCiv 2 had a flat starmap, and no tactical battles. And it needed multiple interface updates after release.

And why all the plugging for GalCiv2? If it's the be-all-end-all of 4X, why has SotS recieved a lot of praise from game previewers? Maybe you need to stop comparing apples to oranges, GalCiv2 and SotS are very different games.

17. No subject Jul 25, 2006, 20:23 space captain

speaking of Microprose... too bad there arent anymore games in the "Midwinter" style

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: 4x Jul 25, 2006, 19:35 Bucky

Damn you, Bucky!

Now to go redesign my custom race in GC2...

---

15. Re: 4x Jul 25, 2006, 19:25 nin

I only recently started hearing this "4X" moniker. Where does that come from and when did it start defining this genre of games? I don't understand the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

edit: Damn you, Bucky! SAME PAGE, even!

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.
This comment was edited on Jul 25, 19:26.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: 4x Jul 25, 2006, 19:24 Bucky

I only recently started hearing this "4X" moniker. Where does that come from and when did it start defining this genre of games? I don't understand the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

Downloaded. Played. Deleted. Gimme the 1.3 update for GC2!

---

13. 4x Jul 25, 2006, 19:16 Ludomancer

Thanks

12. Not that good Jul 25, 2006, 18:53 Cheese

After trying a few games I just had to erase it off my HD.
nice try if you never played any of these games but for my money im going back to GalCiv 2. I dont see where its like Empire at War but ill give you that one. Its all moot cause its all gone.

games im playing atm rFactor, DS9 Convergence, SpellForce 2, SpaceRangers 2, SpecForce, Prey, Hereos 4 & 5.

11. Re: Worth it ? Jul 25, 2006, 18:25 Yosemite Sam

I can sense deja'vu in that it looks and seem ALOT like Gal Civ 2.

Not, if anything it is like star wars empire at war. You cannot move around space, all you can do is move from system to system and if someone is there already you get a space battle. The space battles are neat and the 3D universe is neat but the game as a whole blows. You want real time strategy with 4X elements get empire at war, you want a true 4X game get GC2.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo