Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Portal Movie

A new Half-Life 2: Episode Two movie shows off the Portal game that will be part of the Episode Two release. The clip is available in two resolutions, mirrors can be found on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Computer Games, Filecloud, FileFront, Gameguru Mania, GameSpot, and Worthplaying.

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

98. Re: Multiplayer Portal... Jul 20, 2006, 04:03 sponge

I'd personally like to see something like duelling Tetris. Using the portal gun to move around blocks, trying to attack the other player. Maybe having to send over those little turret things to attack your opponent while defending your side from his?

Many neat thing you could do, but Valve either won't allow it, or are too ignorant to realize it. Will probably need something like Garry's Mod to implement the Portal Gun (the assets would be easy) to really do the fun things people will come up with.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

97. Re: Multiplayer Portal... Jul 20, 2006, 01:47 Krovven

They are talking about the possibility of a MP game using the portals as a weapon...not that Portal will have MP. I'd like to see a MP without any weapons and only the Portal gun and the maps have all sorts of hazards in them. The trick being to queue up a portal over a hazard, then to catch a player with the 2nd portal to get them killed. Of course the victim, being fast enough, could always use his own portals to escape death.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.

96. Re: Multiplayer Portal... Jul 19, 2006, 18:36 sponge

It's quite obvious to see the most played strategy of all in this game. You get shot, you draw a portal & end up running up behind the guy that's shooting you.

It'll be funny once or twice. It will be old when that's all that happens in multiplayer.

Who says it'll be DM with portal guns? Maybe it won't even be MP? (despite what one of the info pages said)

TF2 is an MP addon, Portal is an SP addon?

Will kill for Portal co-op support, please inquire within. At least support so that 3rd party mappers can come up with some unique maps, races, maybe a puzzle-based gamemode?

95. Multiplayer Portal... Jul 19, 2006, 18:17 Zephalephelah

It's quite obvious to see the most played strategy of all in this game. You get shot, you draw a portal & end up running up behind the guy that's shooting you.

It'll be funny once or twice. It will be old when that's all that happens in multiplayer.

94. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 16:01 nin

I want a puzzler from them, not a shooter.

Seconded. I want exactly what I saw in the video.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

93. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 14:27 Beamer

How easy would defense be if all you had to do was put a line of portals or a wall of portals in a hallway with the other one going into a pit or death trap.
pffft. Lame.

As someone mentioned - did you even see the video? You can have to portals, each connected to each other, so a "line of portals" is impossible without numerous people. And even if one was there, just shoot a portal on your side of the wall, shoot another on the other side, and portal through.

Team games might not work well, particularly ctf, as you could lead a portal at your flag, grab theirs, shoot a portal and return in seconds. Of course, there's a chance you'd bring half their team to your base with you, but that might end up being too easy to avoid...

The infinite portal idea reminds me of a map I tried to make for DN3D. A corridor of teleports, chained, so if you fired a rocket into one it would go infinitely, making it a gauntlet of sorts. I don't think I ever finished that one, though.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

92. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 13:59 Sepharo

... put a line of portals or a wall of portals ...

Did you even watch the video?

91. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 11:50 xXBatmanXx

As for Portal multiplayer, I wish. On old style Quake levels, though. Drop a portal high up on a ceiling above a lava pit. Throw the other in the path of a guy running from you (assuming portal gun is off-hand, normal gun in the other) and just listen to him scream as he falls to his death.

I just see it as a multiplayer killer.
How easy would defense be if all you had to do was put a line of portals or a wall of portals in a hallway with the other one going into a pit or death trap.
pffft. Lame.

You think llamas and friendy fire jackasses are lame in game now - just wait.

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 10 Shot: 2

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

90. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 11:19 Beamer

I want a shooter, not a puzzle game.

And unless Valve really enhances their combat engine, I want a puzzler from them, not a shooter. I loved their games pre-FEAR, but they feel dated post-FEAR. Combat just feels flat.
However, I love a bit of an action-puzzler. Portal is pretty much made for me, assuming they pull it off and at least make me feel like I'm clever, rather than just doing the obvious.

However, the cartoonish look of the game is a turn off.
Disagreed. I think it's a huge turn on. Wait, that's not what I mean... I just mean it distinguishes the game from boring crap like BF2. Right away you know it's something different, not "just another war game." That genre is pretty much tapped out at the moment.

As for Portal multiplayer, I wish. On old style Quake levels, though. Drop a portal high up on a ceiling above a lava pit. Throw the other in the path of a guy running from you (assuming portal gun is off-hand, normal gun in the other) and just listen to him scream as he falls to his death.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

89. No subject Jul 19, 2006, 10:18 xXBatmanXx

wow.

Wish I hadn't wasted 10 minutes trudging through all of that shit pile of postings.

It looks cool - I am not a fan of the portals for personal use in a deathmatch or other team style play. Looks great for solving puzzles, but I am sure it will be taken over the top by some mod makers or even by Valve.

Who cares who invented it. For all you know it was my idea. "OMG I can't believe they made an FPS - didn't they know that pong was the first game that utilized that technology! God I hate them!"

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

88. Re: In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 05:46 Tango

Games all swap their best ideas. Think how much the HL2 inclusion of proper physics in a big way (i.e. as part of the gameplay mechanic, not just barrels rolling down a hill in FarCry) has been so widely used since. Or widespread scripting to advance the storyline which pops up all over the place now in FPS games which were previosly run and gun affairs (compare Q2 to D3).

There was a time (HL2, FarCry, etc, etc) where "shaders" were the big thing - does the engine support Shader2xxxx? Prior to that every game had to have those goddamn lens flares we discussed in OotB recently Developers have recently dropped their obsession with WW2 environments which was fashionable because gamers could, for the first time, actually feel like they were (more or less) in the battles, much more so than primitive WW2 games (Wolf3D).

Trends in gaming can be technological (3D acceleration, physics, etc), or design/gameplay focussed (WW2 games), or both (portals).

These portals give rise to some fun game mechanics. I say good on anyone who sees a fun game mechanic and runs with it.
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 05:49.

87. In reply.... Jul 19, 2006, 05:24 Zephalephelah

#28: what? By speechrut
"And yet, it looks almost EXACTLY the same."

How many ways are there to render make a hole in the wall with empty space? It doesn't look exactly the same: Preys portals open like aperatures, while this has a sort of "burning a holein reality" effect. I don't know how anyone could make them ore different other than being like Narbacular Drop, in which they were rectangular with a deamon face and a princess with no knees. Somehow, I don't think you'd be any happier if that was the case though.

Look, the idea that they copied Prey is just insane. No one knew that Prey still existed as non-vaporware until recently. This game began development more than a year ago. You really think they developed this entire game for the trailer within a week or so after seeing Prey? That's ridiculous.

Well first of all, Speechrut is a great name for you. Holy misspellings Bitchman! Anyway, itís a plain fact that they look nearly exactly the same. Thatís not creativity, itís something else entirely; and it is also the exact reason this game is free. If you donít have enough imagination to think of a different way of visualizing it, that doesnít mean that copying the thing is the only way.

---------------

#60 Iím Curious by Creston

I believe in their original press release, Valve said that they would bundle ep2 together with ep1 and HL2 in an "enhanced version".

As for the portal thing, I doubt it was "stolen" from Prey, but I think it was probably influenced by it to some extent. Then again, everything in FPS is taken and modified by someone else, so that's not really a big deal. Also, it apparently comes free with Ep2, so I'd finally say that they're giving you an adequate amount of content for your 20 bucks. (ie, 4 hours of Ep2 plus the Portal game.)

Agreed.

---------------

#83. Re: No Surprise by Drax

As for what I'm seeing here... Valve's throwing together a -very- nice bundle for Ep2. Can't wait to play TF all over again. Memories of circle strafing around the heavy gunner as a pyro till he was fully cooked.

"Excuse me, I'm in need of medical attention!"

Agreed. However, the cartoonish look of the game is a turn off. In fact, I think that it is a distraction from the fact that the real reason to put this out for free is as an apology to the public out of sheer embarrassment for one of the longest living vaporware (i.e. promised, hyped up, cool nothingness) that ever happened in the gaming industry. If it plays well I might forgive them.

---------------

84. No subject by Ahnteis
"Clearly" they stole the idea for portals and mixed up gravity from Serious Sam (not 2) which had both.

Sheesh.

Agreed.

---------------

85. Re: Wow by Dagok

Just watched the video for like the 5th time over the course of the day. I think half of the fun of maps is going to be getting some crazy portal loops occuring with objects and the player.

I'm really hoping that Valve is adding the Cinematic Motion Blur and Depth of Field effects to Half-Life 2, based on their "enhanced versions of HL2 and Ep1 for PC" they mentioned in the press release. The game will have a whole new look to it, making it well worth playing through again just to see the new tech.

Agreed. This is Crestonís fear as well. Youíre hoping. Heís sighing.

---------------

Well, you know, for all of my anger at valve for fucking up things over the years, they are still here & Steam is reliable now & has been for quite some time. Here they are offering 2 mini-games within Episode 2 to generate interest & I think that theyíre going to really up the ďHolyShit!Ē factor with EP2 as well just to get some real sales from this Episodic failure unveiling before them. But I have to give them credit. I was not going to buy Episode anything until it was in the bargain bin & now Iím interested in if TF2 plays correctly. If the old fans are in & happy, then Iíll buy the Episodes now. I surely did love Team Fortress.

86. Re: Wow Jul 19, 2006, 02:49 sponge

I just want someone to make the portals in Garry's Mod.

Now THAT'LL be fun.

85. Re: Wow Jul 19, 2006, 02:48 Krovven

Just watched the video for like the 5th time over the course of the day. I think half of the fun of maps is going to be getting some crazy portal loops occuring with objects and the player.

I'm really hoping that Valve is adding the Cinematic Motion Blur and Depth of Field effects to Half-Life 2, based on their "enhanced versions of HL2 and Ep1 for PC" they mentioned in the press release. The game will have a whole new look to it, making it well worth playing through again just to see the new tech.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 02:50.

84. No subject Jul 19, 2006, 02:20 Ahnteis

"Clearly" they stole the idea for portals and mixed up gravity from Serious Sam (not 2) which had both.

Sheesh.

Video = teh awesome. Puzzle game in first person = cool.

83. Re: No Surpise Jul 19, 2006, 02:06 Drax

[edit] Just saw theyarecomingforyou's post. I agree.
---snip---

As for what I'm seeing here... Valve's throwing together a -very- nice bundle for Ep2. Can't wait to play TF all over again. Memories of circle strafing around the heavy gunner as a pyro till he was fully cooked.

"Excuse me, I'm in need of medical attention!"
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 02:11.

82. Wow Jul 19, 2006, 01:49 Propagandhi

This looks fucking fantastic. Great deal of potential, if Valve does not realize it, I strongly believe that the Mod community will.  
I eat pasta!

81. Re: Woah! Jul 19, 2006, 00:28 sponge

I want a shooter, not a puzzle game.

Then play Epi2 or TF2 and ignore Portal

If Valve don't delay either, it's going to be 2 different FPSes. No reason to dirty a puzzle game with mindless shooting.

80. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2006, 00:13 Ant

speechrut: Hah, I am too old and I have multiple physical disabilities. I highly doubt Army would want me. Plus, I can't respawn/reload.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

79. ... Jul 19, 2006, 00:03 theyarecomingforyou

Smiley Fitz trolling a Valve topic... what were the chances? If we all ignore him we can have a sensible debate after his bed-time... either that or someone could release Ebola in his face; whichever's easier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo