Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2: Episode Two, TF2 Details

Steam News has details on Half-Life 2: Episode Two, as well as the official announcement of the news (story) that TeamFortress 2 will be the multiplayer component in the next installment in the episodic expansion and more on Portal:

Bellevue, WA, July 14, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-StrikeTM, unveiled Team Fortress® 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"By evolving our development process to an episodic approach, we're able to reduce risk from things such as schedule and funding and invest more in new types of gameplay," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "This allows us to produce innovative titles such as Portal and Team Fortress 2 and deliver them in a timely fashion to customers along with Episode Two."

Episode Two advances the 16-million unit selling franchise, as Valve's trilogy of episodic single player releases continues the award-winning story of Half-Life 2. Armed with new weaponry and vehicles, Dr. Gordon Freeman must race through a countryside riddled with an increasingly fierce Combine threat.

Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date. Players choose from a range of unique character classes such as medic, spy, sniper, or engineer and must work together to complete a variety of tactical objectives.

Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC. In addition, these products plus Half-Life 2 and Episode One will be available in one tremendous offering for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2006, 02:16 Krovven

oh good catch - my bad. When is ep 3? I know it was a 1.5 year to 2 year cycle on the whole thing..... hmmm. wtf was I thinking?

Ep2 winter 2006, Ep3 winter 2007. I think it was the same thread that I predicted that TF2 (or some other game) would be bundled with Ep3 because of almost a year between Ep2 and 3. But they proved me wrong by bundling TF2 and Portal with Ep2
Maybe CS2 will be bundled with Ep3!

Wish we could search our forum posts instead of news stories.

Still can't find the Blues posting, but here is the one on 1up. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151546

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.
This comment was edited on Jul 16, 02:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: LoL! Jul 15, 2006, 23:48 Shadowcat

That shit just made me bust out laughing. TF2 & "timely fashion" in the same sentence? Muahahah!
Agreed, that was hilarious! I can't believe yours was the only comment about it.

46. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 23:22 xXBatmanXx

I miss action quake 2.

Better words have never been spoken!
I miss those days!

ANT! I miss your server!

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: Batman Jul 15, 2006, 23:21 xXBatmanXx

I think Batman's sig tells you everything you need to know about why he's so worked up about this.

wtf are you talking about speechimpediment?

FUNGS 53

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

44. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2006, 23:20 xXBatmanXx

Batman...Valve announced a month ago that Ep2 is slated for release before Christmas 2006. Hopefully there won't be a delay.

oh good catch - my bad. When is ep 3? I know it was a 1.5 year to 2 year cycle on the whole thing..... hmmm. wtf was I thinking?

FUNGS 53

43. Re: uh.... Jul 15, 2006, 22:53 sponge

those were server-side mods, not patches.

Engineer teleporters were added by Robin/John (if I'm not mistaken) themselves. Severely affected the offensive/defensive balance, especially being able to tele right to the flag out of spawn, already set up to defend.

42. TFC screenshot Jul 15, 2006, 21:32 Camaro76

Here's the TFC characters. I think the TF2 style is a perfect fit.

http://images.ausgamers.com/games/screenshots//Team%20Fortress%20Classic/fullsize9-cast.jpg

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

41. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 19:10 MacD

I'm with you. Those characters look like they should litereally shoot up miles into the sky when blown up with a good explosion And a nice Wile E Cayote thump/dustcloud when they hit the ground again

That would be cool...extreme ragdolls, over the top headshots (flying backwards when HS...would look cool thru the scope :)), cartoon amounts of lead flying through the air when a heavy lets his weapon rip. Wow, somehow I'm getting oldschool Serious Sam flashbacks

Now if only a game had the guts again to propperly have different movement speeds (and different size hitboxes for that matter) for the different characters.

40. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 15:57 Krovven

You need to take your lips off Gabe's ass if you expect him to be able to understand you.

LOL. Has nothing to do with kissing Gabes ass. You are obviously in the vast minority again here, and are simply being your typical negative asshole self because Riley is incapable of being anything else. If you don't play Valve games why do you continue to comment on them? Grow up, get a life and move on. Just do us all one favor, don't procreate.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.

39. Team Fortress 2 Jul 15, 2006, 12:57 Fantaz

This is cool! I knew they couldn't go for a realistic approach because Team Fortress was never supposed to be realistic. This way they get to keep all the classes and fans will stay happy.

38. uh.... Jul 15, 2006, 12:30 speechrut

those were server-side mods, not patches.

37. Re: Jul 15, 2006, 12:11 Mad Max RW

Ahnteis, I'm fully aware of the history of Team Fortress. I still have a PCGamer laying around with those awful screens for TF2 with "realistic" soldiers and tanks and shit. The original Quake mod was the best, then TFC made Half Life worth getting. Then they patched in all sorts of stupid shit like teleporters and gameplay balances that make no sense.

36. TF2 original was dropped Jul 15, 2006, 11:45 speechrut

The TF pretty clearly worked on the original TF2 for some time, but never got close to a release that looked decent enough to compete. No doubt Source was in development all this time, but wasn't ready yet. At some point, it's very clear that the TF guys switched over to working at least some of their time on HL2. Heck, they even discuss it in the commentary tracks: Robin Walker talking about his thoughts on Alyx! So it wasn't like they even consistently worked on TF2 all that time: they scrapped the old and likely just started from scratch with a completely different direction.

35. Re: Sweet Jul 15, 2006, 11:19 BicycleRepairMan

I wonder if we'll ever see the OTHER TF2 gameplay.

I dont think we will, that game was planned pre-CS and Rainbow six , battlefield and hundreds of other WW2 and war games, back then the realistic wargame approach was a fresh idea in the FPS genre, now it would only be one of hundreds of clones, and the unrealisticly different classes with sometimes superhuman abilities would seem wierd I think. So they'd either have to cut back on all the rocket-jumps and HW guys who swallow 200 bullets with no hassle, and in other words end up excactly at where Battlefield or counterstrike or DOD already is, or go with this more unrealistic approach. I think this will be more interesting.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 11:19.

34. Sweet Jul 15, 2006, 11:06 Ahnteis

With conc/rocket/everything-jumping, bunny hopping, nail grenades, etc TFC is hardly the place where realism fits in. If they're going to go that route, (and it looks like they are,) an art style that emphasizes the over-the-top (and completely unbelievable) action goes right along with the gameplay. Something similar to the HL2 art style would seem a bit weird to me.

P.S. BTW dude below -- the original plans for TF2 became TFC. Then they planned a NEW AND SEPARATE TF2 which they eventually pretty much dropped. Other games have since taken a lot of ideas from that 2nd TF2 concept.) This is the THIRD TF Valve has worked on, but will be only the 2nd that will see the light of day. I wonder if we'll ever see the OTHER TF2 gameplay.

33. Re: Jul 15, 2006, 08:28 Mad Max RW

I had doubts but I think TF2 (or at least the characters) look fantastic. TFC dominated multiplayer for years and I hope this new incarnation recaptures the magic.

Please PLEEEEEEAAAASE keep in rocket jumping!

32. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 08:27 frostee.uk

Seeing that new picture of the TF2 character models has made me even more excited about its release. I'm sure there will be some kind of comms system in place like in CS where your character can say basic commands to your team-mates, It would be so cool if they gave each class a different voice, so the heavy weapons guy would have a deep booming voice and the spy would have a brittish accent you know like James Bond or whatever. I think this would be cool so you would know exactly which class is asking for help or whatever just by thier voice.

**thumbs up**

31. No subject Jul 15, 2006, 08:22 Takvah

OK... first of all, I am happy that TF2 is back on the burner. I never had so much fun as I did back during the days of TF1. The only thing that might make me happier is if they brough back the grappling hook *snicker*.

Anyone that is bitching about the "look" of this, has obviously never played the original. These characters in the new shot obviously are a nod to the original. The spy looks hilarious... and the medic... holy cow that's priceless. I can remember running around with the bazooka sized syringe... and I can remember running from it. I think they've gone and done a great thing here. We have enough ultra-realistic games, that aren't FUN. TF was always FUN if not always super realistic.

Bravo so far Valve... if these characters are a hint at what's to come, I'm all in. You got the look down (modernizing it nicely)... but it's all about the feel baby... you get that right and I smell BLOCKBUSTER.

Peace

30. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 07:31 Riley Pizt

Do what you feel works best for the game Valve. Just make it fun!
You need to take your lips off Gabe's ass if you expect him to be able to understand you.

29. Re: lol Jul 15, 2006, 06:13 Hump

So what is Portal? basically Prey (except totally different and new, of course)?

asrof, download the "Narbacular drop" "game" from here.

http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/

the guys who made it are working with Valve on Portal. It is essentially the same thing albeit much more primitive than what I'm sure Valve is doing. Even so its cool as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please help me, won't you please help? Please?
http://tinyurl.com/phknc

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo