Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal Revealed - TF2 Lives(!)

360, PS3 Half-Life 2 top EA's summer showcase--LIVE NOW on GameSpot (Update: GameSpot now has a more fleshed out article about this) has a running journal from an attendee of a press event being conducted today by Electronic Arts (thanks Frans). The presentation by Valve had word on console Half-Life 2 plans, a new project with the working title Portal (Update: It sounds like this is a new Half-Life 2 weapon), and word that TeamFortress 2 is still in the works as the multiplayer mode for Half-Life 2: Episode Two, long after being written off as vaporware (story, story, story, story, story, and story). Here's word:

Newell's gone on to discuss the episodic-gaming business model. Short version: Valve likes it. It will even let them explore new types of gameplay in a new upcoming game called Portal (which seems to be a working title). It looks like they took the portal concept from Prey and slapped it on a gun--you can shoot them into walls and floors to solve all kinds of crazy puzzles, teleporting objects around and stuff. Looks like a total mindbender.

TEAM FORTRESS 2. WHERE DID THIS COME FROM? Hey, they're still making it! It's got a totally exaggerated, crazy art style now. Looks a little like Spy vs. Spy or No One Lives Forever, kind of a '60s spy feel. It's going to be the included multiplayer mode in Episode 2! Class-based, etc. You know the drill. Great news for shooter fans. We all thought this game was dead years ago.

And hey, Half-Life 2: Ep 2 wlil ship for Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously with the PC. The console games will basically include all of the HL2 back content, so you'll get everything on there that you can get on the PC. Who expected all this Valve news?

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

95. Re: Killer Quake Pack 1997 Jul 28, 2006, 18:13 seenitall

I remember playing that mod briefly. Yes, everything old is new again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Killer Quake Pack 1997 Jul 25, 2006, 13:44 Dmitri_M

Anyone remember the portal gun from a Quake I mod?

How inventive 2006's developers are

93. Re: ... Jul 25, 2006, 05:16 seenitall

Is anybody actually talking about the game at this point

92. Re: ... Jul 19, 2006, 13:16 sponge

I always thought of him as the board's third testicle: He's here, we don't need him, and he should have been removed a long time ago.

He's also slightly nuts.

GET IT? I MADE A PUN!

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 13:20.

91. Re: ... Jul 19, 2006, 10:35 Optimaximal

I always thought of him as the board's third testicle: He's here, we don't need him, and he should have been removed a long time ago.
Well, that made me laugh...

But then I like Valve games

90. Re: ... Jul 19, 2006, 08:57 nin

Still, I wouldn't expect anything more from an oversized scrotum.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

89. ... Jul 18, 2006, 23:55 theyarecomingforyou

It also explains why you find Valve's games so entertaining.
An immature Valve bash... you couldn't resist, could you? Still, I wouldn't expect anything more from an oversized scrotum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

88. Re: ... Jul 18, 2006, 19:11 Riley Pizt

I'm easily amused
Given the fact that you find the name "Smiley Fitz" humorous and it was the best thing you could come up with, that is certainly the understatement of the year. It also explains why you find Valve's games so entertaining.

87. Re: ... Jul 18, 2006, 18:03 insomnioe

Based on what I've seen of Riley, he only wants games with hundreds of hours of gameplay that he can buy for less than $10, and that will run on his GeForce 2 MX video card so that he never has to upgrade.

Edit: or maybe he had an integrated Intel chip...same thing...

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 18:05.

86. ... Jul 18, 2006, 15:53 theyarecomingforyou

I am sure I am not the only one who finds it hilariously ironic that you try to criticize me for my supposed hateful obsession while you repeatedly sling childish epithets and otherwise throw a temper tantrum over me.
Not at all. In our last discussion I stated that I was fed up with the nonsense and filth you spout, despite the legitimate concerns and criticisms you hid in there, so I decided that if you weren't going to be mature and reasonable about things then I wouldn't either. You refuse to accept reasonable arguements so I will just insult until I get bored... I'm easily amused so it could take years. Everyone else was fed up with you but I thought I could have a serious debate with you - that was proven wrong on too many occasions, leading me to this.

So, Smiley Fitz, I will respond to you with the nonsense you seem to hold so dear to yourself. I hope you develop a vitamin E deficiency and your liver explodes, covering any nearby friends (ha!) and family members with bile and insect spawn.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

85. Re: Riley, king of trolls Jul 18, 2006, 15:11 Riley Pizt

AH-hahahahahahahaha...
Settle down, son, before you pee in your pants. It wasn't that funny.

84. It's good to be the king. Jul 18, 2006, 15:09 Riley Pizt

What will it take you appease you, oh great troll lord?
How about a peanut butter and banana sandwich?

83. Re: Riley, king of trolls Jul 18, 2006, 15:05 nin

AH-hahahahahahahaha...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

82. Riley, king of trolls Jul 18, 2006, 14:28 speechrut

81. Re: ... Jul 18, 2006, 12:08 Riley Pizt

I am sure I am not the only one who finds it hilariously ironic that you try to criticize me for my supposed hateful obsession while you repeatedly sling childish epithets and otherwise throw a temper tantrum over me.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 12:09.

80. ... Jul 18, 2006, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

@Smiley Fitz - You put on this show of restraint and pretend to be reasonable, then you go and produce a ridiculous attack on Valve and pretend that you have justified your point. You insult everyone that likes what Valve have done without question and constantly troll every topic regarding them... it has got to the stage where it can only be classed as an obsession.

Of course the millions of idiots like you who fawn at its feet can't possibly be wrong any more than the millions who adore pop culture icons like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears.
Yeah, but to be fair Paris Hilton isn't as much of a whore as your mother. I hope a meteor crashes into your face and your body implodes like a collapsing star.

79. Re: ... Jul 18, 2006, 09:20 Riley Pizt

But no, you argued it out eventualy saying that Tron 2.0 did facial expressions better.
That is NOT what I wrote at all. Your statement epitomizes you Valve toadies to a tee. What I wrote was that the facial animations in Half-Life 2 are not the revolutionary advancement you mistakenly think they are. They are simply marginally better at best than those of some previous games like Tron 2.0.

and when people pointed you to the final chapter where one of the most stand-out examples of HL2's facial system is on display you wouldn't play it, even though at the time you had access to the game.
Actually I didn't have access to the game at that time. You need to read what I actually wrote in the thread again.

Sin's moved to the source engine and is being released on steam? Well you made sure to bash that game, you even proceeded to insult one of the developers when he posted here.
I did not insult him personally. However, as several people agreed with me, what he posted about the release of the game was utter bullshit. The files on the CD-ROM version of the game could technically have been made available for download at the same time it was shipped to stores and the game made playable for preloaders immediately after being downloaded instead of making them wait two weeks.

nin showed you flaming on Gearbox'es Halo forums.
Actually all he showed was one comment by some young Halo fan who was still upset weeks after I railed against Gearbox for its abhorrent handling of the development of the game and previously James Bond Nightfire and its lack of support in rectifying the outstanding issues.

Just more hot air from a Monolith fanboy.
LOL! I am no company's fanboy. If you had read the complaints I have leveled against that company over the years for its poor handling and support of some of its games, you wouldn't be foolish enough to say that. I know there are people at Monolith and its publishers who certainly don't consider me a fan (and I have the bans to prove it).

Monolith is great
I have never written that. Monolith does do a better job than most developers at single-player FPS development whether its character and story development or gameplay mechanics. It is certainly unrivaled in its ability to incorporate cerebral humor into a game. I only wish Monolith would do it more often, and I really missed it not being in F.E.A.R.

Valve is a horrible company that doesn't deserve it's success.
Valve doesn't deserve its success today given the lackluster nature of its current products and the abysmal way it treats its customers as a resource to be milked. Of course the millions of idiots like you who fawn at its feet can't possibly be wrong any more than the millions who adore pop culture icons like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears.

This is true because you can automaticly determine what's right or wrong based on your limited knowledge
Actually it is you with the limited knowledge and bias, and you proved it in spades in your post. You don't actually read and understand what I write because you view everything through Valve-colored glasses.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 11:58.

78. TF2 at last! Jul 18, 2006, 09:07 Rockn-Roll

Some of you remember Team Fortress Classic as if THAT version of TF was the original TF. Some of you remember Team Fortress when it was first a Quake 1 mod made by Team Fortress Software as a Total conversion of ID Software's Capture The Flag mod for Quake. I remember all of that and more.

It's been 8 years since TF2 was announced. In 1999 TF2 was demonstrated at E3...I was there and watched a demonstration of a soldier walking through different areas and hearing the ambient sounds change due to the environment. Highlights then were to be in-game realistic environment voice communication...if you weren't in the room at the time someone was speaking then you would hear it faintly through windows and such...beyond a certain range you wouldn't be able to hear them at all.

It's finally on the billing...amazing. The image of TF2 is very interesting...almost like a Super Heroes cartoon style...if you don't know what I mean then get a mental image of "Strongman", "Ropeman", "Cookooman", and "Diaperman" OK...it was intended to be funny. My point is that the TF2 characters look more like comic book characters...I'm not saying that's bad...it will be fun I'm sure! I'm really looking forward to getting behind that chain gun again...and this time I might have a better look!

Let's Rock!

77. Re: ... Jul 18, 2006, 01:13 Drax

You simply hate Valve.

Anything associated with them you despise. You've bashed Half-Life 2 saying the game's nothing special.. I remember a long discussion about the facial expressions in the game and you refused to acknowledge there was anything great about them. You don't have to like the game, but there's obvious technical aspects to the game that are more advanced then in others. Doom 3's unified dynamic lighting and shadowing is impressive tech. F.E.A.R.'s close quarter AI is really good... these are things that stand out no matter wether you like the game or not. But no, you argued it out eventualy saying that Tron 2.0 did facial expressions better... and when people pointed you to the final chapter where one of the most stand-out examples of HL2's facial system is on display you wouldn't play it, even though at the time you had access to the game.

Sin's moved to the source engine and is being released on steam? Well you made sure to bash that game, you even proceeded to insult one of the developers when he posted here.

nin showed you flaming on Gearbox'es Halo forums. Where you there because Gearbox did the Half-Life expansions?

Rational arguments are always bent to a certain angle to make sure you punctuate whatever flaws you come up with, which tend to be simply your opinions. Alot of what you harp on isn't a problem to the rest of us, or we don't see it in the same light as you because there's no blind hatred.

That's you Smiley.

But keep fighting your fight. Just more hot air from a Monolith fanboy. I'm calling you that based on your own definitions of what makes up a Valve lacky. You defenitly are a fan of that company. Nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing but hypocritical to go after people who simply enjoy Valve's games and take an interest in them.

Of course we're not you, Monolith is great and Valve is a horrible company that doesn't deserve it's success. This is true because you can automaticly determine what's right or wrong based on your limited knowledge and, more importantly, your opinion of any given circumstance. Wish I could be soo enlightened.. heck someone like that could become president of the United States.

76. ... Jul 17, 2006, 22:53 theyarecomingforyou

It's certainly not like you've pointed out where my statements have been irrational other than your sweeping generalization of them.
So what about when I listed the positive things that Valve have contributed to the industry? You refused to accept that they have done ANYTHING positive and just turned it into a spurious arguement "showing" how Valve were destroying the industry.

I don't understand why you post here when all you try to do is provoke others into fights. You haven't made any friends, just a hell of a lot of enemies. You, Smiley Fitz, are a pathetic specimen and a disgrace to the human race... I hope you get impaled upon a stick and have a TFT screen shoved up your ass.

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo