Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DDO: Twilight Forge Dawns

Turbine announces the release of Twilight Forge, the second free module for Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach, their D&D MMORPG. Word is:

WESTWOOD, MA – July 12, 2006 – Turbine, Inc. announced today the release of a second content module for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ (DDO), the hit game that has quickly become one of the fastest-growing MMOGs (massively multiplayer online games) in North America. The Twilight Forge module, the second in a series of modules to be released by Turbine, features a new story module consisting of a series of adventures culminating in an epic encounter against a legendary foe – the Warforged Titan. The Twilight Forge also includes several new features designed to improve game play. Turbine will offer the Twilight Forge module free of charge for all current DDO subscribers as part of its commitment to continue to grow the game for its legions of fans. DDO is based on the world-renowned DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® brand franchise from Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS).

Following on the launch of solo game play in June, the Twilight Forge module offers a host of features, including the introduction of the drow as another playable race, content for players of all levels, enhanced grouping tools to improve the player experience, an in-game mail system, an adventurer’s compendium to track completed quests, a “favor” system to track a player’s standing in the world, additional inventory slots and bank slots, and a plethora of new items, benefits and monsters. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is under license from the Hasbro Properties Group, the intellectual property development arm of Hasbro.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. ddo needs Jul 13, 2006, 16:55 Karnisov

random dungeons, random traps, some guild based instanced pvp (guild wars got that one right, just look at their sales numbers).  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 18:52 Fion

"You sure there won't be a pay to play model for NWN 2? How sure?"

On the contrary, I'm sure there will be some, eventually. Just like Bioware did. Only difference is with NWN2 from Oblivion is that with Oblivion you pay $3 for a few extra graphics and a half hours worth of exploratory fun or an hour long quest. With NWN1/2 you get 6+ hours of new content, new models, textures, tilesets, characters and classic RPG fun. It's worth a whole hell of a lot more.

On top of that you'll have thousands of FREE modules to play and, just like Bioware before them, Obsidian is sure to release a good ammount of FREE content as well. I mean hell, it's been 5 years and just a few months ago a NWN patch came out having a tun of FREE new content.

As to D&DO Expansion. Just like every other part of the game, this one is done half-assed. The drow for example, have incorrect race modifiers and NO LEVEL MOD! I swear the only thing D&D about D&DO is the name!

Oh and yes, NWN2 will be kicking poor D&DO's ass around for years to come. You wait and watch.

13. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 18:05 Talisorn

It's a shame people are saying AA will die first. The game has a lot of promise and can be quite fun ... for a while anyway.

I don't think either will die. I mean look at Horizons ... it's still going. If anything should die, it's it (and Dark and Light).

12. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 16:38 natx

DDO missed the Massive part of MMORPG by a long shot

11. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 16:06 Semantics

I think people were more blown away by the large, interesting world of Morrowind, not by the free updates. I personally never even bothered downloading them.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "pay to play" model. All commercial games require you to pay in order to play them. An ongoing charge, like DDO, seems very unlikely. Even Oblivion, which you are obliquely referring to, does not go down this road.

10. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 15:55 Awesome Spume

The real online D&D game for people that want to simulate table-top is Neverwinter Nights 2.

Remember when Morrowind came out and we were blown away by the free updates? Or, how can you predict what an unreleased game will be like? You sure there won't be a pay to play model for NWN 2? How sure?

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.

9. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 15:49 wMute

DDO is just a cheap attempt to cash in on the MMO system, while using the D&D brand name.

The real online D&D game for people that want to simulate table-top is Neverwinter Nights 2.

Even Neverwinter NIghts 1 is a better D&D experience than DDO

8. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 11:35 Elf Shot The Food

Maybe they could do a server "mashup" of both games.

7. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 11:12 The Truth

It sounds to me like they are grasping at straws here. A press release about what is in essence what we in the technical field call a 'patch'.

Seriously announcing that your are patching the game witha press release is pretty weak.
Their are plenty of other MMO's that quietly release content and patch updates with only the user base knowing about them.

My prediction is Auto Assault and then this.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

6. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:24 Grounded

Auto Assault all the way

Then hopefuly this shitty game

5. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:18 Cutedge

Auto Assault by a long shot. DDO isn't blowing doors off the genre, but it's got a pretty decent userbase.

And for what it's worth, Auto Assault isn't failing because it's niche. It's failing because it's crap.
This comment was edited on Jul 12, 10:19.

4. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:10 wtf_man

So who croaks first? DDO or Auto Assault?

I'm gonna guess Auto Assault.

Not that I'm any fan of DDO, but Auto Aussault appears to be more "niche" than DDO.

3. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:07 Techie714 ©

I say Auto Assault.

I really wanted DDO to succeed I mean this is what almost all MMO are based on in some ways.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:02 nin

So who croaks first? DDO or Auto Assault?

Place yer bets...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.muse.mu/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. No subject Jul 12, 2006, 10:01 Pete

sounds to me like most of this stuff should have already been in the game. atleast the
in-game mail system, an adventurer’s compendium to track completed quests, a “favor” system to track a player’s standing in the world
part.

Doin' it Big

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo