Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rockstar Curtain Calls

Employee Exodus at Rockstar Games? on GameDaily BIZ (thanks Gamer's Hell) outlines a number of recent departures from the developer, saying there have been resignations and firings along with positions eliminated by studio closures. They analyze this with help from some anonymous industry insiders, but their requests for comment from Rockstar have not been honored, leaving them to speculate about what, if any, influence the original Hot Coffee scandal (story), subsequent subpoenas (story), and bad financials (story) have to do with this, or if it's more about the games:

This list may not be entirely comprehensive either, but is it merely a coincidence that these people have left when there's been so much turmoil at Rockstar and Take-Two? Certainly, when Jamie King (a Rockstar co-founder), two different directors of marketing, and others all leave within the same period that the parent company's stock is in a freefall, it smells fishy. One of our sources even heard that Rockstar may have fired some employees because they were not pleased with certain review scores for Table Tennis, even though the Xbox 360 title has garnered an average of 83% on GameRankings.com. So there would seem to be some internal discord at Rockstar as well.

Whether or not there is really an employee exodus is hard to say since we're not privy to everything that goes on at the company. It could be viewed as employees jumping off a "sinking ship," but it's also possible that much of this stems from cost cutting measures in a tough year. Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who follows Take-Two's stock closely, believes it's the latter.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2006, 01:38 Parallax Abstraction

Honestly, this supposed mass exodus of Rockstar staff doesn't entirely surprise me with Paul Eibeler et al running Take-Two into the ground at the pace they are. Many of the people on Take-Two's board (Mr. Eibeler included) are many of the same people who destroyed Acclaim Entertainment a short time ago. Mr. Eibeler was brought into Take-Two after several other executives resigned over a stock scandal (though others are still on the board.) Take-Two has a huge stable of amazing developers and IP which continue to generate strong sales and revenue and yet they continue to lose money and are going from a company with millions in the bank and no debt to a company with nothing on hand and tons of debt. Acclaim didn't have the talent or IP of Take-Two so you can imagine how bad of a job they must be doing. I just don't understand why Take-Two's investors aren't wanting the entire board's head on pikes. I really hope Take-Two doesn't go under though because a lot of amazing talent will go down with them.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. No subject Jul 9, 2006, 14:52 space captain

Hunter Thompson also said:

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Go forth, and kill!

29. No subject Jul 9, 2006, 11:42 aldo_14

Surely it's worth noting that Rockstar aren't just GTA; that's only by (excluding the PSP version) the former DMA bods in Embarra, after all. So if Take 2 are in trouble, then it's inevitable they'll trim the fat (so to speak) from the lesser Rockstar studios, same as any company would. After all, said studios are only called Rockstar to capitalize on name recognition; if they announced WSYWIG Studios was closing, then there probably wouldn't be that much of a reaction.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

28. No subject Jul 9, 2006, 08:59 Ledge

For starters, Take2 should sever their ties with Duke nukem forever. That ship has has already sunk.

27. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 9, 2006, 04:23 Cutter

I can't imagine they've just blown away all that money.

That's why it's called 'partying like a rockstar'. Many of them have ended up broke - regardless of profession.
Jets, coke and hookers aren't free.

As Hunter S. Thompson once wrote....

"If Sunday is the Lord's day, then Saturday belongs to the Devil. It is the only night of the week when he gives out Free passes to the late show at the Too Much Fun Club."

"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 9, 2006, 02:20 Creston

GTA3: 11.39m
Vice City: 13.58m
San Andreas: 13.47m

That's just on PS2, there are a few million more with Xbox and PC sales too. Close to 40 million, then

Holy crap...

I can't imagine they've just blown away all that money. It has to be just Take 2 that's going down the tube.

Creston

Edit : Vice City FTW!!!

I loved Vice City's 80s setting (and music, Best Soundtrack EVER!), but the missions were so fucking annoying that I never really got into the game as much as I did SA. Also, the city was way way way too small.

Man, I want GTA4. 16 more months

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 02:22.

25. Meanwhile... Jul 8, 2006, 22:23 Camaro76

Somewhere in Florida, Jack Thompson is jumping for joy at this news.

Bring on the next scapegoat...

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

24. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 21:12 Masa

Vice City FTW!!!

Oh yeah, that game just had class.

23. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 20:39 nin

Vice City FTW!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 20:32 Squirmer

The GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas combined sold something to the extent of 20 million copies?

Much more according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_computer_and_video_games#Top_20

That's just on PS2, there are a few million more with Xbox and PC sales too. Close to 40 million, then. Not sure where those figures are sourced from, however.

21. Awesome energy drink Jul 8, 2006, 20:32 Grounded

I drink like 2 of these a day and I can really get a shit load of work done

20. Re: If only... Jul 8, 2006, 20:13 nin

We could get a GTA game set in Space..... hint ROCKSTAR HINT!

Already out. Called Space Rangers 2.

Not that I'd decline an invite from R* to try and top it, mind you...they can certainly try and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. If only... Jul 8, 2006, 19:55 The Half Elf

We could get a GTA game set in Space..... hint ROCKSTAR HINT!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:27 Awesome Spume

I suspect the sales not directly from brand recognition would be insignificant.

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.

17. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:16 MacD

That's essentially true. Keeping in mind my post above (TT essentially being a game engine test), it might actually have been smart for R* to create a little fake company to release the TT game from...but that would have meant they'd loose all the sales from brand recognition.

16. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:13 MacD

They aren't really in financial dificulties. Those games brought them a literal shitload of cash. The problem is that take2, their publisher, is a publicaly traded company, and the ridiculous shitstorm about hot coffee has had an impact on stock prices, meaning take2 has some limits on what they can do now. Worst case is take2 goes belly up and R* has to buy back it's IP from bankrupcy and find a new publisher...but I doubt that'll happen unless take2 grossly mismanages things on their end.

15. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:12 Creston

Take 2 had the bad financials. Rockstar itself is making money.

You would think so... The GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas combined sold something to the extent of 20 million copies? If they've managed to squander all that money, they are really beyond stupidity.

As long as GTA4 is released, I don't really care anyways. Get back to work, dammit!

Creston

14. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:09 MacD

Yeah, but TT wasn't really a game per se; as I see it, it's a tech demo for their next announced game. The TT game was their first test of their own proprietary game engine (which apparently did characters [and their sweat] very well)...and aparently it was a success with the public. If it sold well enough, they might have actually recouped their costs...for a technical demonstration of a game engine they plan to use in theior next game! That's impressive...so screw the professional game critics.

As for the exodus...that is unsettling. But the loss of some marketers doesn't really matter...'s not like Rockstar sold it's games through it's marketing and not reviews/word of mouth. Having some 3d artists leave isn't that much of a problem either, as I personally think they could do with some different/better 3d artists. 2d is another matter, as they have some great 2d artists. A founder leaving however...not that good. But it'll really start hurting if they loose their programmers and designers (like their founder).

So I'm not too sure that this is the end of R*; their next game will tell us all we need to know.

13. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 16:07 Awesome Spume

Gamers have simple minds,

Way to generalise... on a gamer forum... wonder what your logo is associated with...

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.

12. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 15:53 dubfanatic

You realistically can't, but people will anyway. It has the Rockstar name on it, so the associations will of course be implied.

Gamers have simple minds, they will associate logos with types of gameplay. When these assumptions are incorrect, they become quite irate, even when the game is actually fun.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo