Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

And so begins the long Independence Day weekend here in the US. Let's be careful out there people.

Independent Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Officer hits two suspects with one bullet. Thanks Kar.
1,300 rats overwhelm man's home.
Colombia growers choose a new Juan Valdez.
Science!: Device records smells to play back later.
As the World Melts.
Why We Must Flee the Planet: The Geometry of Earth is All Wrong.

Instant Heart Attack. Enough to put you off pork brains.
Lobzilla.

Media: Epic Pong Shots.
Possibly the greatest TV advert ever made. NSFW.
Meet a Black Guy in Aspen, Co.
Follow-ups: Is the Shuttle Safe to Fly?
Teh Funny: ActionTrip Comic Strip.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 3, 2006, 04:11 CreamyBlood

Hey Batman, sorry for your loss. It’s sad when people you know or just fellow humans get killed for nothing. The Canadian mission in Afghanistan right now if made up of a lot of local people. I might know some of them and probably not, but it hits much closer to home regardless.

Since Canada started taking a more pro-active military approach as opposed to our traditional peace keeping role we’ve been getting bombed and attacked on a regular basis. I know this doesn’t seem to see the light of day in American news but we’re there in the middle of this too.

I’ve generally agreed with much of what Halsy has said about most of this over the last few years as he seems to be able to read behind the lines, use his brain and think. It’s frustrating for me (and obviously him) to see this same shit go on and on and on when what we’re doing is stupid and wrong.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t bother getting into debates about it when Bush got re-elected. I decided that the World was obviously fucking brain dead and there was no point in giving a shit anymore, but this kind of stupidity affects all of us and I occasionally still rant out at the mindless flag-waving, patriotic ‘lets save the world and promote democracy and freedom’ drivel that attempts to justify wonton mass murder for economic gains.

To me, it just looked like you lost a friend and said ‘support our troops’. If Halsy was implying that it’s the troops fault, that they should just lay down their arms as a protest or something then I think he’s wrong.

I’ve said this before, perhaps not here, but although I don’t necessarily ‘like’ the military, it’s a necessary evil. When they sign up, they know it’s a risky job, one that I wouldn’t be willing to do. But they are just the tools of the policy makers that we elect. If they all started having political opinions and laying down their arms and deserting when it was convenient to their particular ‘feelings’ at the moment most armies wouldn’t be very effective at anything. Not that I’m saying they’re very good for anything as it is.

The use of military force is a failure of our elected politicians to use rational means to diffuse a bad situation. So guess what???

You’ve spent over half a trillion dollars to get what? Fuck all. You could of put it into teaching people history, or astronomy, or getting people onto Mars. But you decided to fuck your own people and let them rot and kill others instead. Brilliant.

Now the World Hates North America. I wonder why. Did any of that money go into alternative energy? Education? Democracy? No, it went into murder, and the media and spin and now I get to listen to people on game sites telling me that the empty barrels from fifteen years ago ‘vindicate’ them because they might have been WMD’s. Seriously, I listened to six people rant on about that. Fuck.

Most of the world isn’t (or wasn’t) Anti-American, they were just poor. But when you show up and start killing their families, telling them it’s ‘going to get better’, then keep on killing them, they start to think you’re full of fucking shit. So what do you expect? Do you think Canada and America and Great Britian are really helping things by running around blowing up peoples families?

Maybe if we gave them some way to EAT and feed their kids and help them out a bit in the dust bowl that their living in, they’d like us more. Have we rebuilt the infrastructure in Afghanistan in the last five years? Any of it. Or Iraq? No. We kill people and tell them everything is going to be okay.

Then you tell people that ‘our troops’ need supporting. Well, my ‘troops’, come from my hometown and their getting brought home in body bags. But, like your asshole President, my Prime Minister doesn’t think that that’s very nice either. I suppose eating your Corn Flakes and seeing your school buddy come home dead is too disgusting to watch.

It’s okay for the blasted out Afghanis and Iraquis, but not us.

Anyways, go support your troops, I’m too busy screaming at my representatives in parliament.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 3, 2006, 03:34 CreamyBlood

No offense, Batman for your 'fallen'. But I'm sick of it. If anyone could read the writing in between the newspapers, I'd say FUCK the KILLING.

The Afghanistans don't want us there, we're wrecking their herion production. We're not 'helping them', we're killing their economy. I'm tired of North Americans getting put on suicide missions for reasons that both you or I don't understand.

You say you're mister 'political' well, go there then. Go 'show your support' for Bush and Harper and that British Guy. Have fun and gooooodbye.

When you go pull up the poppy seeds in the desert and kill people and tell them you'll fix it, then I'll believe that you understand 'history and shit'. Fuck you, get in your car and go buy a new CD.

52. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 1, 2006, 21:52 xXBatmanXx

Heh when did this thread turn into a bitchfest

Started watching Cache last night - but I got really sleepy - must have been the booze. Going to watch it tonight.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

51. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 1, 2006, 20:00 Tango

Heh when did this thread turn into a bitchfest

50. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 1, 2006, 13:35 xXBatmanXx

Yeah? And I pity the fact you're so naieve and have such a limited grasp of geopolitics and history. Do yourself a favour...wake up! Study more history and politics. What I'm putting forth isn't any great revelation. It's available for anyone who cares to look. So spare me the blind, flag waving bullshit when you obviously know not of what you speak.

I can gurantee that I am far more educated in politics, history, economics, and business than you will ever be.

Your ignorance, lack of respect for the dead, and plain arrogance shows you are a true asshole. Good luck in life with your attitude - you will need a lot of it.

FUNGS 53

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

49. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 1, 2006, 11:53 Masa

It has everything to do with supporting the troops and murdering a hell of a loss less civilians for no reason beyond profit.

No it doesn't. Have you ever heard of the phrase "Old men start war, young men fight them"? I don't know what military you are referring to, but most of these soldiers didn't ask to be sent where they are, nor were they sent with the purpose of indisciminately killing people. You can't pack up and leave when you want to.

Post WWII what exactly were the troops dying for in Korea, and more particularly, Vietnam and everything else since?

That's way too much of an overgeneralization to make.

Becuase you don't understand the ties that big oil has in both places?

Neither do you, apparently. There is no oil in Afghanistan. There is natural gas, but good luck getting it out, especially with the current industrial infrastructure in the country being as bad as it is. You might want to go back and look at the prehistory surrounding 9/11 and the adjoining history of the invasion therof.

As a matter of fact I have, plus two friends who died in the twin towers on 9/11. The fact that I have means I support the fact they shouldn't be over there dying for profit, which is the case.

You're a jackass. The point wasn't even being made about people having died in 9/11. Batman's friend was in the US military and perished over in Iraq. And the point was that whatever your beliefs are on the war, the death is still a blow nonetheless.

You don't seem to understand that for whatever reason the soldier was over there isn't even important, it's the fact that a good friend is now gone, some whom you'll never see again.

And I pity the fact you're so naieve and have such a limited grasp of geopolitics and history. Do yourself a favour...wake up!

Why don't you? Go join the military, see what it's actually like to be in the armed services. You're use of pronouns indicates you're not from the 'States, so maybe whatever country you live in has an exceptional military.

So spare me the blind, flag waving bullshit when you obviously know not of what you speak.

Fuck off. You don't agree with the US and its ensuing coflicts, that's completely fine. There's a soldier there who won't be coming alive because of being killed in the line of duty. It's has nothing to do with flag waving nationalism or political bullshit that you completely miss the point. It's a simple point really: the politicians and their reasons behind the war do not matter. The guy was killed in action, for reasons that you may or may not agree with, but still, the fact remains he's gone.

It's sad you can't separate your political views from simply sympathizing for someone's friend having been lost.

Ok, counsellor, I charge you to look into the facts of it all and then still tell me I'm wrong.

Why? You're acting an asshole and I think you see that for yourself.

Caring about the troops isn't just a slogan, it's action. It's preventing them for dying for no good reason in the first place. Can you do that?

Pft, that's a different discussion for a different topic, Halsy. You should recognize that better than anyone.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 17:48.

48. Re: Support our troops, even... Jul 1, 2006, 06:18 Halsy

And, uh, what does that have to do with supporting the troops or not? Nothing at all.

What the fuck are you talking about? It has everything to do with supporting the troops and murdering a hell of a loss less civilians for no reason beyond profit.

Post WWII what exactly were the troops dying for in Korea, and more particularly, Vietnam and everything else since? World freedom? Give me a fucking break.

And I still find it humorous that you link Iraq and Afghanistan to try and further your point. It's the one thing you have in common with the Administration. And you're both wrong.

Really? Why is that? Becuase you don't understand the ties that big oil has in both places? Please, Zath, you're not naieve enough to really believe that either of those places is about freedom and stemming terrorism, are you? Afghanistan is as solidly about oil and natural gas as is Iraq and the rest of the Middle-East.

You must not have never known anyone or had a family member die while in the armed forces

As a matter of fact I have, plus two friends who died in the twin towers on 9/11. The fact that I have means I support the fact they shouldn't be over there dying for profit, which is the case.

I pity you and your pathetic view on the world.

Yeah? And I pity the fact you're so naieve and have such a limited grasp of geopolitics and history. Do yourself a favour...wake up! Study more history and politics. What I'm putting forth isn't any great revelation. It's available for anyone who cares to look. So spare me the blind, flag waving bullshit when you obviously know not of what you speak.

Look how easy that sort of jive is. I contradict your beliefs and you dismiss me out of hand without the facts...and I thought you were a lawyer. Ok, counsellor, I charge you to look into the facts of it all and then still tell me I'm wrong.

Caring about the troops isn't just a slogan, it's action. It's preventing them for dying for no good reason in the first place. Can you do that?

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

47. Superman Jun 30, 2006, 19:03 Killer Kane

Well...it was better than The Hulk...better than Fantastic Four...but not Spiderman good, or X-Men good...
I certainly wouldnt be paying up any "biscuits" over it.

:
"I love the smell of burning troll in the morning"

46. Re: DS Lite Jun 30, 2006, 18:18 Masa

Supposedly, the Lite is a lot hard to scratch than the original...

It's got to be harder to scratch. I've logged a couple of hours of Nintendogs (yeah, I know...be quiet) on my Lite and the touchscreen hasn't been scratched at all. I mean, there's not even any marks or abrasions except from where I've physically touched the screen. It's a well built little device.

I want something different, and Phoenix and Trauma Center fit that nicely.

I got Phoenix Wright in the mail the other day, after some delays by USPS, but I haven't started playing it yet. I'll try it out this weekend but have two more papers due next week, then classes are finally over

I went looking for Trauma Center at Best Bey, no luck. Guess maybe they ran out before the reprinting was announced. I can't afford it this month anyhow.

45. Re: DS Lite Jun 30, 2006, 17:26 nin

Im not actually sure if my statement applies to advance games, although im pretty sure im right about the DS games.

You are. I believe every DS game is supposed to support that...

With this and the revo I believe that Nintendo are goign to be coming back in a huge way.

I'm thinkin the exact same thing. I had all but written off Nintendo, but after time with the DS, and with what the Revo looks like it could do, it's a totally new ball game...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44. Re: DS Lite Jun 30, 2006, 17:23 The Truth

Like closing the lid and the game (Any game) getting put into a hibernate type state.

I thought I read this didn't apply to Advance games, but I could be wrong...

Im not actually sure if my statement applies to advance games, although im pretty sure im right about the DS games. But hey if it does then great, if it doesent then no biggie

Trauma center is on my list of things to get, hopefully the shortage will cease to be in my neck of the desert.

Another thing I love about this regarding the hibernation thing, is that I can sit around playing while keeping an eye on our new puppy (Golden retriever), and immediatly stop playing to take whatever he has recently found to chew on (Furniture, lighting fixtures, TV's etc), away from him, without having to try and pause the game.

With this and the revo I believe that Nintendo are goign to be coming back in a huge way.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

43. Re: DS Lite Jun 30, 2006, 17:11 nin

Like closing the lid and the game (Any game) getting put into a hibernate type state.

I thought I read this didn't apply to Advance games, but I could be wrong...

The only thing I worry about is the touch pad scratching, Ive looked at some of the 3rd party covers, but im not too keen on applying something that might not want to come off easily.

Supposedly, the Lite is a lot hard to scratch than the original...at first I was really worried about this, too. Don't. Just have fun, and if in a few years, the screen looks a little bad, it won't matter, as Nintendo will have a newer, better version out by then anyway...

The biggest surprise for me, is the apparant lack of games. Aside from a few must haves, it doesent appear that the system has too many games, im hoping that its massive popularity will soon change this, but after a year of being out I would have thought the game library to be bigger than it is.

From what I've read, the DS didn't REALLY get going until last fall. I was amazed that a few games that I would have through were no brainers (Burnout, Ridge Racer) weren't that hot...I would advise any DS owner to check review before throwing money down on a game...

Ive seen the phoenix wright fanboi-ism around here (Im looking at you nin), but it doesent really appeal to me, maybe if I saw it in action I might change my mind, but for the time being its off my list.

<nin screams into DS microphone> OBJECTION!!!! It's not for everyone, and you have to be in a certain mind-frame (be willing to read a lot, as opposed to hack and slash) to really enjoy it. I like it because it's different than most of the other stuff out there, and I find that lately I've been gravitating away from the FPS, WWII, Console Port, dime a dozen games that seem to be popular right now...I want something different, and Phoenix and Trauma Center fit that nicely.

This hand held has actually rekindeled my gaming urge, as I was getting very bored with what the PC currently has to offer

This was exactly what I was trying to say above. Only you worded it better...

Now all I have to do is find a second one, and not have to worry about the wife stealing it from me....

Like any good habit, it must be spread to others...

Glad to hear ya like it! I can't imagine not having mine now...make sure to look around at Advance games, too. There's some real gems there that shouldn't be missed...

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

42. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 17:00 MeatForce

And, uh, what does that have to do with supporting the troops or not?

When the Commander in Chief the troops have been saddled with turns out to be a dangerous lunatic, it's not terribly supportive to sit idly doing nothing while he sends them off to die..

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

41. DS Lite Jun 30, 2006, 16:48 The Truth

So I have had a couple of days to actually play with my DS Lite, and damn, I am very impressed.

Currently working my way thru Super Mario and Kirbys canvas curse, both of which play exceptionally well.

The surround sound option had me a little confused, until I actually started playing, and it does feel that the two speakers are creating a weird surround sound experiance. couple that with the bright screens, responsive controls and easy to use (And responsive) touch pad and the system rocks.

This system actually answers all of those little annoying things that when playing other systems were there, but that you did not really know about. Like closing the lid and the game (Any game) getting put into a hibernate type state. Open it up and continue where you left off, this alone makes the system like gold to me, as I can, for example, cook food and in the down time play SMB without having to worry about saving/switching off etc so as to stir some cooking stuff.

The only thing I worry about is the touch pad scratching, Ive looked at some of the 3rd party covers, but im not too keen on applying something that might not want to come off easily.

The biggest surprise for me, is the apparant lack of games. Aside from a few must haves, it doesent appear that the system has too many games, im hoping that its massive popularity will soon change this, but after a year of being out I would have thought the game library to be bigger than it is.

I will probably be picking up Tetris DS and maybe advance wars 2 (Although a well thought out and implemented real time RTS on the DS would absolutly rule), the turn based nature is kind of putting me off the idea though. Ive seen the phoenix wright fanboi-ism around here (Im looking at you nin), but it doesent really appeal to me, maybe if I saw it in action I might change my mind, but for the time being its off my list.

To sum up, This hand held has actually rekindeled my gaming urge, as I was getting very bored with what the PC currently has to offer, and am after more in the way of quick games that I can pick up and just carry on from where I left up, and with the hibernation feature the DS hits the mark.

Now all I have to do is find a second one, and not have to worry about the wife stealing it from me....

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 16:50.

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

40. Why do you keep posting ActionTrip? Jun 30, 2006, 16:37 m00t

It has to got be the most un-funny, inane, boring bullshit I've ever seen. Can we stick with something humorous?

39. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 16:07 xXBatmanXx

That's bullshit. That's the sort of excuse used for all manner of crimes against humanity. Soldiers have the moral obligation to ask themsevles if what they're doing is the right thing. They shouldn't be in Afghanistan or Iraq in the first place - as well as a hell of a lot of other places around the globe - but they are because most of them serve with blind obedience and that's where the problems lie.

You must not have never known anyone or had a family member die while in the armed forces.

I pity you and your pathetic view on the world.

FUNGS 53

38. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 15:58 Zathrus

If you *really* want to support your troops, don't let them get sent off to fight bullshit wars for profit and occupy countries around the globe they don't need to be in. Hold your leaders truly accountable and rein in your out of control corporations. You can start by impeaching Bush. That's how you really support the troops.

And, uh, what does that have to do with supporting the troops or not? Nothing at all.

And while I'd love to see Bush impeached, it's simply not going to happen; maybe the Democrats will win back the house, but they're certainly not going to get a super-majority in the Senate (so technically he could be impeached but acquitted and not removed, just as Clinton was).

And I still find it humorous that you link Iraq and Afghanistan to try and further your point. It's the one thing you have in common with the Administration. And you're both wrong.

37. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 15:37 nin

Well damn, I must've clicked on democraticunderground.com instead of my favorite gaming website.

Welcome anyway!

36. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 15:32 MMORPGHoD

Well damn, I must've clicked on democraticunderground.com instead of my favorite gaming website.

35. Re: Support our troops, even... Jun 30, 2006, 15:08 MeatForce

Well said, Halsy

I was hoping to find lyrics to the Honeydrippers' Impeach the President, 'cause it has that sweet sweet breakbeat, but clearly Mr. Young will do very nicely in their stead:

Let's impeach the President for lying
And misleading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door

Who's the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
They bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war

Let's impeach the President for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones

What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government's protection
Or was someone just not home that day?

Flip - Flop
Flip - Flop
Flip - Flop
Flip - Flop

Let's impeach the president for hijacking
Our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected

Thank god he's cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There's lots of people looking at big trouble
But of course our president is clean.

Thank God

EDIT: OK, well at least I found you guys that breakbeat:
http://www.tuffcity.com/audio/56073.wma
-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 15:12.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo