Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Tonight marks the return of It's Always Sunny on Philadelphia, the incredibly irreverent sitcom MrsBlue and I discovered last year. At the close of last season it seemed possible we were the show's only two viewers for all the awareness it had generated, but something happened along the way, and the show has received a big push this time around, including a run of a few old episodes on Fox these past few weeks (its normal home is FX), and the highly publicized addition of Danny DeVito to the cast. It will be interesting to see how the addition of an actual budget will change a show that featured jerky camera work, no additional lighting, and a soundtrack of public domain music from old industrial films. They just better not mess things up.

Sunny Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Link: Real world Banana Jr 6000 computer from Bloom County.
Stories: 'Sopranos' signs 4 more for final episodes.
Science!: Conspiracy theorists unmoved by British UFO denial.
A new Canadian tool can re-grow teeth say inventors.
Killer tomatoes attack human diseases. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Media: Duke Nukem Jam.
Insurance Commercial Presents a Newer, More Noble Stereotype.
Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase.
Sauna Pranks In Japan. Thanks The_Truth.
Follow-ups: How Not To Poll Climate Experts on Global Warming Movie.
More Gore: Do scientists think he's right or not?.
Evolution's Lonely Battle in a Georgia Classroom (registration required).
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Movies Jun 30, 2006, 01:29 PHJF

IMAX really should expand. All the problems of fidgety customers are simply absolved by the super-stadium seating.

Or maybe I'm thinking omnimax... I've never seen a straight IMAX film, but have seen at least half a dozen omnimax.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Movies Jun 29, 2006, 23:35 xXBatmanXx

You really need to see it on the big screen.

What are you refering to?
I saw Batman Begins at the IMAX - that was fuggin awesome.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

42. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 20:54 kanniballl

On one hand, you have the verifiable bad-guys that are truly enemy combatants that must be treated as POWs.

Yes, and if they're holding them, their tribunal, court case, or whatever legal system they are put through would decide to hold or release accordingly. What gets me is that you've got guys there - civilians - who have been held for literally years and let languish. If you're not going to do anything with them, or can't do anything with them, release them.

Yes, and shortly after your quote of mine, I mention that it is horrible. Hence the who;e "one one hand" part. Not only are they there, but they're vastly prevented from doing anything about it. Doubly-bad.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

41. Re: Movies Jun 29, 2006, 20:43 Halsy

You really need to see it on the big screen.

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

40. Re: Movies Jun 29, 2006, 19:21 Masa

It felt like a very safe rehash of the first movie though which is really disappointing.

That's what I was kind of afraid of for Superman. I've heard some say it's a darker variation of Superman.

39. Duke Nukem Jam. Jun 29, 2006, 19:12 MeatForce

OK, that rocked. My favourite version yet (although it's not like I'm a Duke Theme afficionado or anything).

Be sweet if they let this dude do the theme for DNF. Assuming he isn't totally arthritic by the time it comes out, that is..

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

38. Re: Movies Jun 29, 2006, 18:45 Halsy

I just got back from Supes as well and thought it was great. Enahs owes nin a whole carton of biscuits as far as I'm concerned. Definitely up there for one of the best superhero flicks ever made. Brandon Raouth nailed that part.

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

37. Movies Jun 29, 2006, 17:32 Koblizek

Just saw Supes Returns today. It was ok. It felt like a very safe rehash of the first movie though which is really disappointing. You can almost feel that it would be great...had they actually covered new ground.

As for "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" Batman, you'll love it. Its a great movie. Val Kilmer and Robert Downy Jr. are fantastic in it. Some great lines. As I said before, I wasn't terribly impressed with Night Watch, but that was just me.

36. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 16:20 Masa

I assume we would treat the situation as such if Foreign Nation X decided to do that to OUR people!

Eh, there actually are Americans in that situation. Not nearly as many and numerous, sure, but civilian combatants nonetheless. Everywhere I've ever been I've heard of a few American's who went to Nation X "off the books" as mercenaries or private security.

they charge should, insofar as it is possible, be tried in the US legal system, not some closed door system with a military goon as prosecution, jury and judge.

Eh, the American military court system is a completely separate entity from that of the US judiciary system. Indeed, they work with each other in various ways (especially when soldiers violate civilian law somewhere, or in the case of deserters). Actually, for the most part, it functions extremely well - but when applied towards matters of the military! Bush and his minions in the intelligence services were using it was an excuse hold onto many suspects with even vague links to terror overseas.

Ah, the old double standard!

Yeah, and it's one that's I think is more or less needed because it's a situation that has presented itself in every way that has ever occured. A soldier in a formal military, wearing a uniform, fighting on the orders of whomever sent them to fight isn't doing so on the part of self interest (well, they might be, but that aspect ended when they volunteered for service). Some civilian who decides to pick up a rocket launcher and engage military forces just on a whim or is getting paid to do so isn't tied to a formal force, is't entitled to the same rights.

That's not saying they shouldn't be entitled to the most basic human rights, or they be abused, or they not be released if they're not going to be (or can't be) given a trial. But the GC wasn't designed for and shouldn't apply to them.

Define "soldier" when it comes to terror.

It's not a vagely defined term. In the statement you quoted by me, I was referring to a uniformed soldier of a formal military; not some insurgent who decided to throw on camouflage and call himself a soldier fighting in the name of Allah.

On one hand, you have the verifiable bad-guys that are truly enemy combatants that must be treated as POWs.

Yes, and if they're holding them, their tribunal, court case, or whatever legal system they are put through would decide to hold or release accordingly. What gets me is that you've got guys there - civilians - who have been held for literally years and let languish. If you're not going to do anything with them, or can't do anything with them, release them.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 16:33.

35. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2006, 16:05 kanniballl

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Especially when those are technically civilians Gitmo is holding, not uniformed soldiers.

Sticky situation. Define "soldier" when it comes to terror.

On the one hand, in the "War against Terror" the enemy doesn't wear a uniform, and they don't walk through the streets in neatly-defined formations. And however you want to argue how it started (our foreign policy in the region, their hatred of American values, oil, etc) the fact of the matter is both sides see it as a war and are acting on it.

On the other hand, things can and have gotten out of pretty out of... well... hand. Busting up a group of terrorists in a room with stinger missels, diagrams of targets, etc is a kind of a no-brainer. Capturing a guy that tried to kill some soldiers, duh.

But these other circumstances where plain-clothes individuals were picked up because of one reason or another is where things go bad. Mistakes are obviously made; maybe an innocent guy in the wrong place at the wrong time is picked up, maybe a guy that looks like another guy who we think is a terrorist is captured, maybe we *gasp* got bad intel.

For all we know, some or many of the people there fall into this category. At which point, how do these victims of circumstance and poor intelligence make get out or see their day in court.

On one hand, you have the verifiable bad-guys that are truly enemy combatants that must be treated as POWs. On the other hand, you have people that might (or might not) be innocent victims.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

34. Re: Stormy Weather... Jun 29, 2006, 15:48 MeatForce

Wow, up here in the big smoke we're having a HUGE thunderstorm. Don't honestly recall the last time I've heard thunder boom so loud and lighting split the sky like this. I can see where our caveman ancestors would have got notions of gods and/or an apocalypse with this kind of weather.

Yeah, that was a killer rainstorm! Man I love watching those.

Popped out for a bit of lunch on a [luckily totally covered] patio, and had to spend an extra hour waiting it out just watching the insane deluge.. Hey -- a guy could freeze to death getting soaked in something like that and then going into the air-con for the rest of the afternoon!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

33. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 15:45 Enahs

How American is that?

Very.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 15:17 nin

Yeah I know... but the point stands - it is about time they got around to charging or releasing.

Exactly. One of the key pieces of our legal system is providing an accused person with legal representation to refute any charges, and trying that person in a reasonable timeframe. And with this group of people, that was thrown out the window.

How American is that?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 15:17 xXBatmanXx

No they are officially "enemy combatants" even though most of them have been picked up off the streets of Kabul etc and not from the battlefield. It's a legal technicality which means the Geneva convention (POW) doesn't apply, nor is the US responsible for them as it would be for a non-national detainee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_combatants

Ah, the old double standard!

FUNGS 53

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

30. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 15:05 Tango

Sounds like your entire system has a heat problem.
Nah just getting to the end of its life and fans are going. The CPU one was entirely my fault - I won't embarass myself with how I managed to do it. The graphics card has been spinning upwards of 12 hours most days for 3-4 years... I'm sure there's some exciting statistic about how many times it could have gone to the moon and back.

29. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 14:59 Tango

The facility won't be closed down. Just the prisoners won't have to stand before military tribunals, which is dumb to consider anyway.
Yeah I know... but the point stands - it is about time they got around to charging or releasing. And those they charge should, insofar as it is possible, be tried in the US legal system, not some closed door system with a military goon as prosecution, jury and judge.

IMHO (and I'm not trying to grenade the thread :)) any sort of moral high ground has been completely lost while that affront to liberty and the rule of law is allowed to persist.

I was thinking about it late last night - are they considered POWs?
No they are officially "enemy combatants" even though most of them have been picked up off the streets of Kabul etc and not from the battlefield. It's a legal technicality which means the Geneva convention (POW) doesn't apply, nor is the US responsible for them as it would be for a non-national detainee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_combatants
This comment was edited on Jun 29, 15:02.

28. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 14:59 Enahs

TBH it's not even worth replacing the fan - I could get a replacement card for 30 on eBay.

And you could possible get a replacement fan for free from the video card manufacture. Which I would do. Always good to have a backup card, or you can have an extra and build a secon system when you upgrade.

I think it's both overheating and also something defective. It gets more stable with the fan blowing at it.

Sounds like your entire system has a heat problem.
hah hah

So many things to do about it to.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

27. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 14:57 xXBatmanXx

It's about time they got around to closing down that embarrassment.

The facility won't be closed down. Just the prisoners won't have to stand before military tribunals, which is dumb to consider anyway.

I was thinking about it late last night - are they considered POWs? I assume we would treat the situation as such if Foreign Nation X decided to do that to OUR people! Some of the things the country that I am a citizen of just boggle my mind.

FUNGS 53

26. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 14:56 Tango

Mine was causing artefacts in games when overheating
I think it's both overheating and also something defective. It gets more stable with the fan blowing at it. TBH it's not even worth replacing the fan - I could get a replacement card for 30 on eBay. The fact is that the computer is due an upgrade, so it can keep plodding on until it gives up or I get around to ordering myself a l33t 7900GX2 or something equally the wrong side of the price/performance curve

25. Re: Hardware woes Jun 29, 2006, 14:49 Masa

I worked out one of my hardware issues - the fan on my 9800Pro has gone.

That's the card you're using? Mine was causing artefacts in games when overheating. I replaced the fan and it seemed like it got a little boost in performance too.

It's about time they got around to closing down that embarrassment.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 14:50.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo