Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Titan Quest

Explore and Save Ancient Worlds! Titan Quest is Now Available for Windows (thanks Frans) has word that Iron Lore's action/RPG is arriving in stores around the world:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., June 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) today announced that Titan Quest(TM), the epic and immersive action Role-Playing Game (RPG) developed by Brian Sullivan's (co-creator of Age of Empires) Iron Lore Entertainment, has shipped to retail outlets worldwide. Lauded for its next-generation graphics and original story penned by Braveheart screenwriter Randall Wallace, Titan Quest is available exclusively for Windows PC at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

"As huge fans of the action RPG genre, there was no question as to what Iron Lore's first project as a team would be," said Brian Sullivan, lead designer and president, Iron Lore Entertainment. "We are thrilled that after four years in development, our vision of the ultimate RPG experience is now releasing worldwide."

"Our goal with all new properties is to innovate and raise the bar for the hardcore gamer and the team at Iron Lore has really delivered with Titan Quest," said Steve Dauterman, senior vice president, product development, THQ. "Gamers looking for fast action, hack and slash, addictive gameplay can find it here in the most graphically impressive game in the genre."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Coop? Jun 30, 2006, 14:41 Masa

This made Diablo 2 very fun with my girly all the way to the end.

So the left hand finally met the right. Good for you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Well Jun 28, 2006, 14:38 Sepharo

Diablo 2 didn't have pets.
Diablo 2 didn't let you have more than one skill tree.
Diablo 2 didn't really have a sense of adventure, you were just ported to the next town after you defeated the boss of the first.

And yes the rest is nearly exactly the same with some small tweaks to improve gameplay. To me this game seems like a mix between Dugeon Siege and Diablo but leaning more towards Diablo. But as I've said before a lot of people like this game because it's like Diablo 2. Sometimes it's good to just stick with what works, it's enjoyable and they didn't want to fuck that up.

I'm all for innovation but a game doesn't always need to be radically different from it's predecessors.

Whats the point?

Having fun... ?

*damn you PHJF*

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 14:38.

39. Re: Well Jun 28, 2006, 14:37 PHJF

fun?

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Well Jun 28, 2006, 14:37 Cabezone

You're right, noone should ever make another shooter, RTS, or RPG ever again. It's all been done before.

Why bother?

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

37. Well Jun 28, 2006, 14:14 venomhed

Other than setting and graphics, what else does this game bring?

Nothing.

Its like a TV show called Friends and someone else making the exact same TV show years later called Good Friends.

Whats the point?

36. Re: Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 09:27 Beamer

I think I'd miss random levels.

venom, heavily disagreed. I adore the Diablo games for being entirely mindless yet somehow having atmosphere and incentive.
I fear that Hellgate will be too much of a jump and lose most of that.

I haven't played a game like this since Diablo 2, as none seemed to trump Diablo 2. I'll check this one out, though.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 08:49 ToastyBuffoon

I'm liking the game quite a bit. The only downside I see to it are tech related like the occasional random crash and on my rig it seems to stutter a bit everytime the environmental music initialy loads.

To say that this game was unecessary is to say the same thing about any other genre. Don't cry 'cause it is very similar to Diablo. It's no different than bitching about another 1st person shooter or another RTS. Sometimes it doesn't matter if it is the same, as long as the developer added some fun into it. This game IS fun. I'm having a better time with it than I did with Dungeon Seige 2.

34. Re: Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 06:19 Grounded

Not random enough, too linear, no replayability, lame multiplayer

pass

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 06:20.

33. Re: Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 03:17 Sepharo

Venom a lot of people want a Diablo 2 with updated graphics...

That's what this is and it's set in a better setting [in my opinion]. Ancient Greece, sparatan warriors, and the pantheon of gods kick ass.

When I'm killing skeletons I feell like I'm in "Jason and the Argonauts" and I love that feeling.

As gamers we have moved SO far beyond this type of game.

Hey speak for yourself... Although I loved Morrowind, I seem to hate Oblivion [love the graphics of course]. I just hated having items and monsters scale to my level. I felt like I was never making progress and I kept wishing for something, the more I thought about it I realized I was wishing for the Diablo system. Titan Quest is a direct copy of Diablo 2, and that's why I love it. The developers knew that.

32. Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 03:05 venomhed

DELETE

Game is just like Diablo 2 and Sacred. Do we really need another "Me too!" game? Sorry folks, there just isn't enough here to keep anyone interested. As gamers we have moved SO far beyond this type of game. No wonder there is no Diablo 3, even Blizzard knows no one wants to play this stuff unless it is seriously revolutionary.

This game should be priced at $19.99 and is VERY boring.

31. Some last remarks Jun 28, 2006, 03:04 Creston

I remember someone once wondering if the game had random mobs. I can confirm that it does. I had to restart because of the ALT-TAB thing (restart from the last rebirth shrine), and the mobs around it were very different from what I'd had there first.

There are many things this game does that it does better than Diablo. Better skill optimization, ability to have more skills going at the same time, far more skillsets to choose from, more varied monsters, obviously better graphics etc.
It also has things it does worse. The backpack still doesn't auto-optimize, which is the biggest fucking annoyance in the entire game, and I can't fucking BELIEVE that they still haven't fixed that (since everyone complained about it after the demo). Diablo also had better pacing. In Diablo it seemed as if you were ALWAYS fighting, here I often have to run for 10-20 seconds before finding a new mob. Maybe I remember Diablo wrong though.

It's hard to say if this game is better than Diablo, but I think for it to be mentioned in the same breath as Diablo is already a lot of praise.

I LOVE the fact that you find tons of loot in this game. I've found 3 uniques so far, 2 of them were bows, but the last one I found was an armor designed for Warfare users. Armor 46, +10 str, +32 health, -5% to all warfare requirements and +1 to all warfare skills. Obviously this armor is very powerful for the level that I am, but I enjoy that. I got lucky, and now the game is easier for a little bit until the monsters have caught up in level.

I can understand that that's not everyone's cup of tea, some people don't like being able to find stuff that powerful that early on (to be honest, it's probably a low level unique, but for my character it's very powerful), but I enjoy it. I hate games where they force you to play for 60 hours before they finally give you something good. I play games to be entertained, not to be strung along by a carrot on a line.

Also, the magical items in this game are POWERFUL. Since the last game in this vein that I played was Guild Wars, where every single bit of loot is absolutely fucking WORTHLESS (I think artifacts in GW give +5% damage or something, woopteefuckingdoo), this is a nice breath of fresh air. I found my first green item (ie, powerful magic item), and it gave +32% to piercing damage, +48% to health regeneration, +8% chance to dodge projectiles and +37% damage resistance vs beasts.

THAT'S a magic item. The yellow stuff beneath it is hit and miss, but even there you can find powerful stuff. I got a ring that gave +52 energy and +48 health.

All in all, that stuff adds up, and it makes mobs easier for a bit. I like that, but I can see how some people wouldn't.

Finally, I have absolutely no problem with the static world vs the random environments of Diablo. Diablo's "Random" environments were basically the same nine map pieces with the empty hut and the fallen ruin etc pieced together in random ways, and always having to walk around trying to find the ladder got annoying pretty fast (one reason why nearly EVERYONE used maphack). Here, your path is pretty straightforward, you pass beacons along the way to show you're going the right direction, but there's enough open areas for exploration and such, and all in all, the world is so frigging large that I doubt anyone's going to really remember any particular setpiece until they've played through 3 or 4 times.

I've just played for 7 hours straight, I'm level 12, and I'm probably barely halfway through Greece.

I'm really enjoying this game. If you like tons of character optimization/building, absolute loads of loot to be found, fun combat which can vary in difficulty depending on the loot you find, and pretty graphics, I can heartily recommend it.

If you're the old skool kinda gamer that doesn't want things to become too easy for awhile because you got lucky, and want a constant challenge level, the item system here might annoy you.

Creston

30. Played for 1 hour and 20 minutes Jun 28, 2006, 03:04 venomhed

29. Shit Jun 28, 2006, 02:04 Creston

Just found out, the game does NOT like ALT-Tabbing...

Creston

28. Re: No subject Jun 28, 2006, 01:48 Creston

From what I've read, you can get the most important items in the first five minutes of the game if you're very lucky. And you keep getting the most useless throughout. The game doesn't take your level into account when determining what you get.

That's bullshit. Legendary items (ie, artifacts) don't show up until the end of the game on Epic difficulty (ie, diff 2). I found 2 uniques, true, and those are level independant, but other than that, my loot very gradually scales with my level. Or perhaps it's with the area, that might be too. In any case, I'm finding yellow (ie, magical) loot out the ass. Far from worthless. It's a random loot system, so yes, you can find a lot of stuff that's of no use to your character (but still sells for 1000 gold, for which you can buy 5 potions). In Diablo you didn't always find phat loot either. 7 million pindle runs to find a godly yaddayadda of the whale? Gee, that was fun.

And yes, the quests are generic, you've seen all of them before. Then again, is it even still possible to come up with NEW quests? I think all possibilities have already been exhausted by now. But the writing around it is very good. The storytellers are fun to listen to, and there's plenty of townfolk around who have stories to tell about the area and how the troubles affect them and such, and those are definitely well written. The main storyline so far seems alright, I haven't really gotten very far into it, I'm not headed to the Oracle of Delphi.

But while the quests are a bit standard, the boss monsters so far have been nicely varied and very good challenges. My assassin really only has one way of killing things so far (keep whacking shit with my axe), so even though I've sometimes seen situations where a different skill would come in handy, all I can do is run up to the guy and start hitting him until I'm fully charged, at which point I'm doing massive chunks of damage.

I especially LOVE the system where certain skills cost a reserved amount of energy, basically lowering your max energy, but that's all they cost. They don't cost energy per hit. Poisoning weapons for example. And since my warfare skills don't cost any energy, I can easily run a few of those reserved skills, which makes for great combos.

Looking over the classes, I can see some weak ones. I doubt anyone who plays a soothsayer is ever going to get anywhere. He'll never die, but he'll never do damage either. So it's possible that if your character is weak, he's either a weak combo, or it may take awhile for him to get going. One of the devs playtested a paladin (Defense + Storm) and said that at first he thought it was going to be too weak, until he got to level 3 mastery, and monsters started dropping like flies.

Btw, killing a mob without a potion, what's the big deal? Potions are cheap and plentiful. Gulp 'em

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 02:02.

27. Re: Cant stand the fonts Jun 28, 2006, 01:47 Creston

but then they just used bold and different colors to differentiate the items

Which is different from Diablo/World of Warcraft/Every Other Game That Lets You Gather Loot how exactly?

I've found two uniques so far, and they indeed have unique abilities and unique graphics assigned to them. (Unfortunately, both of the fuckers are bows, and I don't use bows.)

Generic loot is going to look generic yes, and the use of colors to differentiate in levels of magic has been around for about 15 years now.

Anyways, I'm loving the game. I just faced the first cyclops in the game, holy shit, that is impressive AND scary. A whole troup of greek troops ran along with me, and he wiped them out in 5 blows. I have 800 health, I think he did 600 damage per blow or so. Hehe

Great game. It's a bit slower paced than Diablo, but far more skill options, great combos, cool gameplay. It looks great, runs pretty well on my machine (although I have to turn shadows down to medium, and they look ugly then, but if I set them to high, the game just stutters. Either it's a driver thing or they have a bad shadow implementation).

But it's definitely a fun game.

Creston

26. Re: IGN Jun 27, 2006, 20:03 Sepharo

It has a built in browser powere by GameSpy

25. Re: IGN Jun 27, 2006, 19:39 PHJF

What is the range of the multiplay component? Is there a matchmaking service ala Diablo and Sacred or am I left to fend for myself via TCP/IP direct connect?

Are multiplay characters persistant or does each game require a new character?

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. IGN Jun 27, 2006, 18:08 Kxmode

Many know IGN excepts payola in exchange for "positive" game reviews.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_asylum_(05-10-2006).mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

23. Cant stand the fonts Jun 27, 2006, 17:54 Medwynd

I played the demo when they released it and while I had high hopes for this game the horrible looking fonts killed it for me. Not only are they bad looking but then they just used bold and different colors to differentiate the items. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didnt look like I was playing a word document.
This comment was edited on Jun 27, 17:56.

22. TQ Mini Review Jun 27, 2006, 17:25 Alamar

Conclusion: This is a fun game : ) Go buy it : ) $10 off at Future Shop tomorrow if you're in Canada : )

Some of the complaints have merit. There are many issues to the way they did things with TQ. For example, the bitching about getting great items early and crap later on happens. The reason however is multifaceted. For example, levels in TQ don't have as much a difference as they do in many other games. Sure, getting new skills can change the tide of battle, but individually adding points to them has minimal effect, getting loot upgrades can have minimal effect - in part because a lot of loot stats are % based, and the 'best' EQ in the game is nearly all % stats (like +10% str instead of +5 str - not so good early on, but great later if you have lots of +str gear).

The game does a great job with environment. It's static, like DS, but a lot of the things they added make sense, and it looks great, especially overlooking cliffs with lower points where you can later explore.

I think they did a good job balancing masteries, as most include buffs or (self) healing. I have a lvl 18 Spirit/Rogue guy that is a lot of fun to play. I got lucky on finding a nice +2 energy/s helm and I can run all four aura's all the time while using some other click abilities. I rarely need to use potions on non-undead (undead are immune to my three main attack types - leeching, bleeding and poison), but with the spirit's undead aura buff, they drop too...

One of my bigger complaints is with boss fights. The uber bosses, not the little quest bosses like the big satyr, centaur, etc, but the big stuff you see later. For me, the fights were all about running in circles letting my pet blast the boss, running up for an occasional hit. They do too much damage to stand toe to toe, and dodging them is easy, and boring. On the other hand, I think these fights will be a lot of fun in multiplayer.

Game also runs great for me most of the time (1600x1200, everything at High - ATI 1900XT), but there are times (usually in dungeons) where the game starts stuttering like a mofo...

-Alamar

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo