Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Father's Day, as today is the annual celebration of fatherhood, at least in these parts. I have a pair of pops to pay homage to today, as I have both my biological BlueDaddy and my step-dad PoppaBlue to account for, but in a twist of scheduling, will not be seeing either today, but will rather be seeing my step-grandma and aunt for lunch. At least it's all in the family.

Father's Day Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Levers.
Links: Command & Conquer LEGOs.
Extortr: online blackmail for the masses.
Stories: 'Star Trek' Fans, Deprived of a Show, Recreate the Franchise on Digital Video (registration required). Thanks Neutronbeam.
Behind the Scenes at Disney World (registration required). Thanks Boing Boing.
Science!: The dirty truth about allergies.
NASA to Launch Discovery on July 1 for 13-Day Mission (registration required).
Rising Above the Environmental Debate (registration required).
Images: Check out the Games Industry Dad's Play with their Kids.
Media: Darth Vader vs Japanese Police. Thanks frag.machine.
Tamacun (Rodrigo y Gabriela). Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Teh Funny: The Dangers of World of Warcraft.* Thanks WoWBreak.
PvPonline.
FoxTrot.

*May be unsuited for children or NSFW.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: ugh Jun 19, 2006, 11:13 xXBatmanXx

Sounds like an opportunity for some free work to me. I would have told them unless you transplant the thing into your yard within the next week, it's going to the dump. And if they refused that, I'd tell them come on over and that I'd supply the chain.

The neighbor on the other side is pretty cool about stuff. She has lived there for 27 years and have a grape vine on her fence. At one time it spanned 5 houses - some people got mad and she trimmed it back. She just told me to trim it when it gets out of control - so I just keep it on the fence and off of my garage. Actually looks really nice. Great sound barrier for the back yard.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: ugh Jun 19, 2006, 09:24 xXBatmanXx

You can probably expect your neighbor to be annoyed though. Unless you two are tight, he/she may confront you about trimming their tree.

It was rubbing on my structure - I am sure the city would back me up on that.

On top of that, they just trimmed a bunch of branches on it also - so I didn't feel that bad. Also, it is a rental property - tough shit for them.

FUNGS 53

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

17. Re: ugh Jun 19, 2006, 08:35 WarPig

One neighbor wanted to uproot one of their own bushes because it was pretty-much dead and looked ugly. A married couple nearby wanted to (get this) chain themselves to said bush to save it because it was so old.

Sounds like an opportunity for some free work to me. I would have told them unless you transplant the thing into your yard within the next week, it's going to the dump. And if they refused that, I'd tell them come on over and that I'd supply the chain.

-------------------------------------------------------
Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

16. Re: ugh Jun 19, 2006, 08:03 kanniballl

Nasty - damn neighbor's mulberry tree was rubbing on the top of my garage, so I went and trimmed back about 20 branches and found hordes of piles of rotten mulberries under the branches on my garage.

You can probably expect your neighbor to be annoyed though. Unless you two are tight, he/she may confront you about trimming their tree.

It's not just the stuff of sitcoms, some neighbors in my area are just that asinine. One neighbor wanted to uproot one of their own bushes because it was pretty-much dead and looked ugly. A married couple nearby wanted to (get this) chain themselves to said bush to save it because it was so old.

I've got other tales, but that one still cracks me up.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 23:50 nin

This is completely unrelated, but I've been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of this TV show that came on when I was little.

It was humorous and fantasy-based with a princess that rode on a unicorn with a horn that would flop around when it galloped. I also remember a prince and some fat guy being the main characaters in it. I've been Googling and such trying to winnow out the name of the blasted show but no bananna. Does anyone else remember this TV series? I think it was in the 80's sometime.

Wicked Kool-Aid man! Wicked!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 22:38 MMORPGHoD

It was humorous and fantasy-based with a princess that rode on a unicorn with a horn that would flop around when it galloped. I also remember a prince and some fat guy being the main characaters in it. I've been Googling and such trying to winnow out the name of the blasted show but no bananna. Does anyone else remember this TV series? I think it was in the 80's sometime.

Was it "Wizards and Warriors" ?

13. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2006, 22:29 Fantaz

well yeah it's hot, and for fathers day I had to go out for dinner with my brother's girl friend's family as well. not a very happy day.

12. ugh Jun 18, 2006, 22:10 xXBatmanXx

Nasty - damn neighbor's mulberry tree was rubbing on the top of my garage, so I went and trimmed back about 20 branches and found hordes of piles of rotten mulberries under the branches on my garage.

The gutters were filled with rotting mulberries and whirly-birds - oh, and it was all wet. Friggen flies everywhere - but at least it is all cleaned up.

FUNGS 53

11. Re: Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 20:54 KaRRiLLioN

Live-action in the US. It must not have run for long, but agh, it's driving me crazy not to remember the name.

10. Re: Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 20:04 Enahs

My little pony?

First, is this "live action" or animated?
Second, are in the US or somewhere else?

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 19:59 KaRRiLLioN

This is completely unrelated, but I've been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of this TV show that came on when I was little.

8. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2006, 18:55 nin

Behind the Scenes at Disney World

Wow! That's badass! Hell, if you're going to pay that much to go there, you might as well pay an extra $100 or two for the full tour...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. No subject Jun 18, 2006, 18:28 Hump

This one is for you, Happy Father's Day! Hang in there. Eventually they will be over eighteen and no-longer your responsibility.....

Dude you have NO idea how much I anticipate that day.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please help me, won't you please help? Please?
http://tinyurl.com/phknc

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

6. Behind the scenes at Disney Jun 18, 2006, 18:06 MeatForce

Very cool article - I had no idea they offered those kinds of tours. Almost makes me want to book a trip!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

5. Re: World Cup Redux Jun 18, 2006, 17:38 Masa

I've read some of that guy's posts before. That was definitely one of his better ones!

4. World Cup Redux Jun 18, 2006, 15:43 Koblizek

Great matches yesterday for the World Cup: Czech Republic vs. Ghana and Italy vs. USA.

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings on the World Cup from someone I respect (although is too much of a curmudgeon for his own good sometimes): http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7182963&publicUserId=5380367
This comment was edited on Jun 18, 15:44.

3. Re: Happy Father's Day! Jun 18, 2006, 15:21 Enahs

I got a couple great teenage daughters, sixteen & seventeen now. I whipped them into shape back when they were still toddlers. So they still respect me and their mother. In fact they still fear me in some cases which is funny as hell since I am a big softy. Though I'll admit I have a temper at times... us old guys get grumpy when we are low on sleep or very tired.

You do know those are the kind of girls that when they go to college and go away for spring break with their friends, they appear on Girls Gone Wild, etc? Stupidity, disrespect and arrogance is for youth so you do not embarrass yourself as an adult!

I look forward to seeing your daughters on the commercials in a couple years!

Heh, just messing with ya man!

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Happy Father's Day! Jun 18, 2006, 12:59 Paranoid Jack

I got a couple great teenage daughters, sixteen & seventeen now. I whipped them into shape back when they were still toddlers. So they still respect me and their mother. In fact they still fear me in some cases which is funny as hell since I am a big softy. Though I'll admit I have a temper at times... us old guys get grumpy when we are low on sleep or very tired.

Quite often when I see other kids I thank the Gods my two turned out as good as they did. So to those of you who have those off-spring with less than desirable traits... I feel for you.

This one is for you, Happy Father's Day! Hang in there. Eventually they will be over eighteen and no-longer your responsibility unless you choose them to be.

And to those of us who have had it relatively easy raising our chips-off-the-old-block, congrats!

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 13:06.

1. No subject Jun 18, 2006, 11:41 Hump

The hell with the 90 degree temps. I'm laying low indoors and i'm gonna nap the day away.....

EDIT: I need a big favor from the Blues menagerie....I seem to have lost my CD key for the original "Red Faction". For some odd reason they are still tracking CD keys for this game (which isn't even being sold anymore) if you want to play online (I can play the SP just fine). If anyone can hook me up it will be mucho appreciated :).

my email: Humpland@cox.net

Please help me, won't you please help? Please?
http://tinyurl.com/phknc
This comment was edited on Jun 18, 11:53.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo