Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

So if you wear a helmet when you do your job, shouldn't it be that much more comfortable to wear one on your motorcycle? I hope Ben is okay.

Unsafe Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Bulky man barely injured as car rolls over him.
Gas station looks at gas-free future.
You can watch it, but you can't like it...
Media: Body in Half.
Flying Tube.
Ferrari on fire.
Follow-ups: Ropeless Jump-Rope, More Useful Than You Think. There's a safe bet.
Europe's new Mars probe to banish ghost of Beagle 2.
Teh Funny: ActionTrip Comic Strip.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 22:17 nin

Anyone work in an ER at all? We commonly called them donorcycles

You mean there's anything LEFT to donate after such a retard wrecks himself? I figured he'd be completely grinded down to the last bone, including his organs.

Reminds me of a extremely graphic pic I saw on a web site years ago. I'm assuming it was a cycle wreck. The guys entire nose and upper mouth were missing. It was (from top to bottom of his head) eyes, bloody area, and then a tongue and lower teeth...

And there's no way in hell I'm linking it here...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 21:55 Creston

Anyone work in an ER at all? We commonly called them donorcycles

You mean there's anything LEFT to donate after such a retard wrecks himself? I figured he'd be completely grinded down to the last bone, including his organs.

Creston

25. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 13:13 theSAWzall

Interestingly Gov. Rendell's first act in office was to repeal PA's helmet law. I believe passengers are still required to wear one, but it's optional for the driver.

24. Re: In the minority Jun 13, 2006, 11:15 Da Stylin' Rastan

But you get enough people killed through ineptitude and then people start wanting the government to step in.

Good points, and I don't disagree that it is of course people who demand this intervention that causes it to become law in the first place (thats how our system works after all, for the most part), but there's no reason people can't demand the opposite as well, which is the good thing about our system.

they are also entitled to the same protection the government should afford them as anyone else.

That's assuming we all agree that the role of government is to provide this protection, and many don't. This is one point I agree with Republicans on (traditional ones, not these ass-backwards ones currently in office) in regards to limited government. The federal government should be a limited body, focusing on national defense, and federalism should apply for most if not all other aspects. Insurance is, in my opinion, *NOT* one of these aspects and should be left to the private sector, lassie fare style. Insurance companies who insure frequent and expensive offenders have their rates go up, and lose their business to more efficient companies who are more careful and can offer lower premiums. Of course, there will also be a niche market company for those high offenders, provided they pay the higher premiums. This system works for credit institutions and banks, and yet its not good enough for insurance?

Believe me, I understand your angle, and I totally see that it looks like I was throwing out the "idiots" argument the way people throw around "support the troops" or "don't burn the flag", but I assure you there has been at least some semblance of internal debate over the subject

So yeah, enough of the deep, enthralling discussion of politics on a *gaming* message board (I hate it when discussions go this way)

-DSR

23. Re: In the minority Jun 13, 2006, 09:18 Tango

remove insurance liability if you aren't wearing a helmet/seatbelt/etc
Is that not the case? In that case damn straight you should!

I know you're entitled to less in damages if you're not wearing a seatbelt/helmet, but I would be all in favour of removing insurance liability for helmets.

I understand the purpose of insurance, and that legally speaking without statute this wouldn't happen - it's still my fault I hit you, I'm responsible (my insurance is) for the full extent of your damages. But as a massive massive incentive (and still not regulating personal freedom) it's a good option.

Of course, I think seatbelts / helmets should be mandatory at all times (while in a car/bike; not while on the sofa / doing shopping etc :)). But then I live in the UK were we have laws like that.

22. Re: In the minority Jun 13, 2006, 08:53 Zathrus

legislating personal responsibility is just wrong. It IS a free country, and the idiots are free to be weeded out.

Ok, so in order to do so should we pass laws instead that remove insurance liability if you aren't wearing a helmet/seatbelt/etc? After all, if you're in a crash and survive then why should everyone else have to pay higher insurance rates for your idiocy?

Of course, this too is a slippery slope too, I know that. But personal responsibility cuts both ways.

21. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 05:35 Loose Cannon

It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots ride a motorcycle in the United States. I'll see guys riding their bike on the highway here, going 70mph, no helmet, wearing jeans and a tshirt.]

Anyone work in an ER at all? We commonly called them donorcycles.

20. Re: In the minority Jun 13, 2006, 01:53 Masa

It IS a free country, and the idiots are free to be weeded out.

Figured someone would make that comment soon enough.

This is America, not the jungle. It doesn't matter how ideal you make it sound, the idiots aren't weeded out and they continue to exist.

I'm sorry, I suppose I'm just tired of working on this research paper for my summer class, but everytime I hear that I always think "Well, yeah, that is ideal, but there's also a whole load of people out there who don't want to think for themselves." It's ideal to slap out the argument "America is free, you shouldn't have your responsibilities regulated/enforced." Which should be true - true freedoms, liberty, blah blah blah. But you get enough people killed through ineptitude and then people start wanting the government to step in. It's all fine to say "Weed out the stupid" but assuming they live in a first world country, they are also entitled to the same protection the government should afford them as anyone else.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 02:03.

19. In the minority Jun 13, 2006, 01:45 Da Stylin' Rastan

I know it's a free country and all, but since so many people are apparently just TOO stupid to be trusted with their own safety, isn't it about time the government step in and make helmets and leather riding suits mandatory?

No. Haven't you ever heard of Darwin's theory of natural selection? I think George Carlin summed it up best: "The kid who eats too many marbles doesn't get to grow up to have kids of his own"

Now the flipside to this argument is the same as the seat-belt law and smoker argument: These people raise all of our insurance rates. That's BS, insurance is such a protection racket and scam already, theres absolutely no reason they should get compensated for insuring these people. If I lose my job because I didn't anticipate that it was going to be outsourced, do I get to be hired at a higher salary somewhere else? Why not, thats exactly the break that insurance companies get.

Don't get me wrong, I don't smoke, wear my seatbelt and helmet, and self-insure whenever possible, but legislating personal responsibility is just wrong. It IS a free country, and the idiots are free to be weeded out.

-DSR

18. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 01:35 Warhawk

Just wanted to say thanks again for the hints earlier today - as posted in OotB, I got it to finally work with 128-bit security. Not sure how, but I did.

There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.

I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

17. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 00:49 Halsy

While I'm for helmet safety, sometimes riding without one is a really amazing feeling. So long as you do it where the chances of having a collision are very minor (again, away from major traffic areas/highways) it's safer than crossing the street.

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

16. Re: Damn Jun 13, 2006, 00:22 Warhawk

I used to ride regularly, and whilst I might go without a helmet and leathers out in the country (backroads, etc.), I'd never even dream about it in a city (or other fairly populated area) and busy highways.

I used to ride occasionally, but haven't in years. Might try again when I move after we build and our son gets a little older.

I ALWAYS wore a helmet. No helmet, no riding - drummed into me by my dad. Like H - I never went anywhere more busy than a two-lane country road or a couple times into town (of about 5,000 at the time).

People are too stupid to ride bikes in traffic/largely populated areas.

There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.

I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

15. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2006, 00:16 Cynips

Maybe it's just the age.
No, it's not.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

14. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2006, 22:57 MMORPGHoD

It doesn't matter how good you are on the cycle. It's how bad the person behind the wheel of the car is.

Absolutely. And if a person doesn't understand that, he's a fucking moron.

QFT

Some people need to get all their teeth knocked out to realize it. I don't understand why. Maybe it's just the age.

13. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2006, 22:04 nin

Nice pic of crash scene:

Damn...that's just <shudder>...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Damn Jun 12, 2006, 21:58 Masa

Broke the helmet - not my skull.

Eh...that brought back a bad memory or two. I remember in Kandahar, Afghanistan, I was driving in a convoy and saw a motorcyclist smack straight into a jingle truck. He drove his head straight into the engine compartment (old Russian transport truck, the compartment opens from the sides) and that killed him. You think driving a cycle is bad in the US, the tenacity of drivers there really screwed up all sensibilities I had for the road after that!

11. No subject Jun 12, 2006, 21:53 xXBatmanXx

Nice pic of crash scene:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/488296.html

Or, if you live in the Midwest or a wooded area - have had a close call a few times with these damn things!!!

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/487486.html

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.
This comment was edited on Jun 12, 22:02.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Damn Jun 12, 2006, 21:53 PHJF

I know it's a free country and all, but since so many people are apparently just TOO stupid to be trusted with their own safety, isn't it about time the government step in and make helmets and leather riding suits mandatory?

That about sums it up.

Anyways, if somebody on a motorcycle dies from unsafe attire... well, that's one less stupid person to vote republican in 2 years.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Damn Jun 12, 2006, 21:51 xXBatmanXx

I used to ride regularly, and whilst I might go without a helmet and leathers out in the country (backroads, etc.), I'd never even dream about it in a city (or other fairly populated area) and busy highways.

I wear a helmet when riding - it saved my life.
T-boned a car and hit my head on the roof.
Broke the helmet - not my skull.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Damn Jun 12, 2006, 21:44 Halsy

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo