Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DDO Goes Solo

The Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach Website (thanks Frans) has word on the addition of solo play to Turbine's D&D MMORPG. The update gives details on new solo options, as well as changes to the experience requirements to advance in level. Here's a bit:

An all new solo setting is being introduced to help new DDO players navigate through the early game content, allowing them the time and space to learn about their characters, try strategies and face monsters for the first time on their own. Players will now have the option to play at their own pace as a solo-player in the Harbor.

The Harbor Solo Option
Quests in the Harbor have a new option available to you, opening up solo gameplay during your character's earliest levels. In addition to the Normal, Hard and Elite settings already available for each dungeon, the Solo option allows you to take on a dungeon at a difficulty setting suited for a single player. When you enter a dungeon on the solo setting, it contains monsters and traps that can be defeated without the help of a party.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: alone together Jun 8, 2006, 17:07 MindTrigger

The problem is, in the end the gameplay is king. If you take out the "carrot" for people to group, the game will die faster. Sure *some* people just want to solo and be around other players without grouping. The majority want to be involved in groups and guilds. If you take away the need for this, people will go off solo until they get bored, the they leave. I've watched all of this happen in various games. Hell I left guild wars because of it. The game is fun as hell, but the grouping and community aspect of it are pure crap. After a while you just feel alone.

In SWG I made a lot of good friends in hunting/xp groups. Had a lot of great chats and experiences in those groups too. Just random conversation while gaming. Without the groups, you can kinda BS with your guild I guess, but that puts you in a bubble.

I'm prone to be a loaner a lot of the time, and I like the option of going either way. I have no problem with the fact that when I'm a loaner, I won't be doing elite content. Makes perfect sense to me.

-----
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"This is Red 5, I'm going in."
Spam: Gamers over 25 unite! www.2old2play.com
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 17:28.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: alone together Jun 8, 2006, 11:02 Grounded

The main reason to solo in WoW is that I at least level up faster (3 level 60's)

I dont want to have to deal with Elite Quests, idiots that get me killed, and people going in 5 different directions and going AFK.

I group when I hit 60, and then I raid raid raid.

29. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 23:59 Masa

That's where I draw the line. When I go to the movies, the less other people in the cinema, the better.

With that being the scenario being presented, I just stay home and watch movies.

28. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 21:53 PropheT

The phenomenon is best described as wanting to "play alone together". When i play a mmog solo i still like to have the feel of a living world, bumping into people unexpectedly, seeing what they're doing, maybe casually and briefly interacting, reading the local and global chatter. Kinda like walking your dog in the park - you're out and about doing stuff solo yet you're still with other people.

FourPak, I'm going to plagiarize the crap out of you with that next time I have to explain myself on this stuff. That perfectly sums up what I like about MMO's and why I like to solo in them.

I love Oblivion for its world, but even that doesn't compare to the feeling of playing an MMO alone. It's an experience that hasn't been duplicated in a single player game as of yet.

27. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 20:38 Ventura

I go out to the movies by myself, I would rather it not be in an empty cinema

That's where I draw the line. When I go to the movies, the less other people in the cinema, the better. So many people can't just sit still and be fucking quiet for a couple of hours.

The issue here is having the option. A couple have posted about logging on when it's quiet and there being literally nothing they can do, and that's the most frustrating thing in the world. Especially when you're paying by the month.

If they make grouping a necessity but you can only find a group half the time, shouldn't you only pay half price?

26. Re: LOL Jun 7, 2006, 19:14 MikLoyD

turbine cannot make a good mmo (since AC)

this is still a pos

25. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 19:11 Talisorn

The phenomenon is best described as wanting to "play alone together". When i play a mmog solo i still like to have the feel of a living world, bumping into people unexpectedly, seeing what they're doing, maybe casually and briefly interacting, reading the local and global chatter. Kinda like walking your dog in the park - you're out and about doing stuff solo yet you're still with other people.
Q! F! T!

Just because you want to go out somewhere by yourself, doesn't mean that you want the world to be devoid of life. If I go out to the movies by myself, I would rather it not be in an empty cinema.... it's a solo experience, but shared by other people.

24. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 19:09 Awesome Spume

I only group when I'm drunk and only then after warning everyone else they WILL die.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't realise we were talking about MMORPGs.

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 19:11.

23. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 18:42 dubfanatic

I'm not sure I get the issue with grouping in a mmorpg? After all, the game is online? Why shouldn't you group.

Because I don't like being dependent on random yokels. I have yet to find an MMORPG with a good group-finding interface that allows me to weed out the noob kiddies from the real players. This is the main reason I stopped playing Guild Wars.

22. Re: alone together Jun 7, 2006, 18:36 FourPak

I'm not sure I get the issue with grouping in a mmorpg? After all, the game is online? Why shouldn't you group.

21. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 18:35 dubfanatic

I've yet to play a game made by Turbine that isn't boring as hell.

I dunno, I thought Asheron's Call (1) was fun until they ruined it with some questionable updates, and their inaction with regards to macros and 3rd party addons. Between Asheron's Call 2 and their troubles with AC1, I came to the conclusion that their clueful people left and suits came in in their place. DDO's troubles confirmed that for me.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 18:36.

20. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 17:41 Frijoles

Why would someone pay a monthly fee to play a game solo?

Maybe because the game is fun? I usually hate grouping, but I love MMOs. There's a lot of land to explore. There are lots of quests to do. The game is constantly changing. Doesn't seem too difficult to grasp. I played WoW since beta up until a month ago, and I hated grouping with people. Great fun though.

19. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 17:25 Cabezone

How does having solo content through the entire game limit it? Doesn't that actually make it less limited? Forcing people to group limits your options.

Why does there need to be a bonus to group? Can't you people who like to group do it without the carrot? Or do you not actually care about grouping and just want a way to get XP faster?

Whenever group fanatics mention the need for it, they almost always mention bonus xp...which I think is the reason most would do it, not for the social interaction.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 17:26.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

18. ... Jun 7, 2006, 17:06 theyarecomingforyou

If the game's fun then why not? Personally I wouldn't pay monthly for any game but if someone enjoys solo playing a MMORPG and there is no comparable offline RPG then I can see the appeal - plus they can always interact and group with other people if they wish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 16:41 wMute

There are some odd people in the world. Odd and rich.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 16:41.

16. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 15:51 Nordramor

SOE is leaning about SWG was that they destroyed the community by removing all of the player interdependencies

I think Sony did a fine job destroying their community by shipping the game in a pre-alpha state with gigantic holes in the game content... but I guess that didn't help either.

15. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 15:31 Grounded

"Without some sort of forced grouping in there, the community dies. One big lesson SOE is leaning about SWG was that they destroyed the community by removing all of the player interdependencies. Sure, there should be room in there for the casual players, but I think those people also have to realize that the whole game shouldn't be dumbed down or limited just because they don't play as much or wish to be loners."

Thats fine, but once again DDO MISSES the point

THERE IS NOTHING TO DO WHEN YOU LOG IN AND YOUR SERVER IS DEAD AND THERE ARE NO GROUPS

nothing

And again, that is why WoW is king. If you want, you can solo to 60, you will be GIMP, but you can do it

If you want to excel and get the phat loots, in 5 or 20 or 40 mans, you will need to make friends and get help.

But at least that option is there and that is why Blizzard knows how to design games

14. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 15:21 MindTrigger

Check out Star Wars Galaxies. They made the entire game (the latest version anyway) soloable pretty much. People are running through and farming the high end dungeons. No one groups for xp or any other reason because they don't need to. Sure some people group because they are friends, but the game has become mostly antisocial. There use to be various advantages to grouping, including an XP bonus, but they removed it all. The next publish that is coming out PUTS IT BACK IN. High end mobs and dungeons will require grouping, as it should be.

Without some sort of forced grouping in there, the community dies. One big lesson SOE is leaning about SWG was that they destroyed the community by removing all of the player interdependencies. Sure, there should be room in there for the casual players, but I think those people also have to realize that the whole game shouldn't be dumbed down or limited just because they don't play as much or wish to be loners.

-----
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"This is Red 5, I'm going in."
Spam: Gamers over 25 unite! www.2old2play.com

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

13. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 14:59 Cabezone

What he said.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 14:49 Nordramor

If you go out and buy an MMO, and expect the game to cater to your solo playstyle, you might need to just go buy a friggin offline RPG.

And the misunderstandings like this is why WoW continues it's godzilla stomp through the MMORPG genre.

For refernece of what most people want, think of Halo. Halo can be played single-player and you have fun. But play it Co-Op with a friend and it's more fun.

That's exactly the kind of content many gamers want. Content that is fun solo and just gets more fun with a group. Not many people really want group content, they want solo content that can also be done Co-Op.

'Online' is merely a tool with which to facilitate the Co-Op or Competitive experience. 'Online' is not an excuse to force socializing or party interaction.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 14:50.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo