Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heroes of Might and Magic V Patch

The Might and Magic Website now offers downloads of new patches for Heroes of Might and Magic V, updating various editions of the latest installment in the turn-based strategy series to version 1.1. Word is: "The patch fixes certain interface issues, balances game play in both singleplayer and multiplayer modes, fixes video card errors/conflicts, and addresses other minor issues in the game. Additionally, the patch adds new features to the game: an auto-patcher and 'easy' mode that will help newbies to enter the game smoothly."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2006, 20:44 dubfanatic

err, HOMMV has been sitting on my hard drive unplayed... looks like I'll be sticking to HOMM3 until they make it balanced :/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2006, 18:24 Sacrifice

The game does have a few annoying moments. Levels that needs to be completed in a very specific way is definitely one of them. Every map should allow some room to explore and allow multiple strategies to complete the map.

I also don't like how some levels clearly cannot be beaten until you know the layout of the map and need to restart. If you use wise strategies, you should be able to beat a map the first time around.

Despite its flaws I am still enjoying the game. There are some unique and fun levels. I find the story somewhat interesting, though not epic by any means. I am about 75% of the way through the game.

So far the level that Space Captain mentioned is definitely one of the most difficult levels. It took some time, but I was able to get by it. According to the patch notes, they have reduced the strength of the main hero on that map. The hero was the problem, the rest of the map is not hard once you get by him.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

7. No subject Jun 6, 2006, 17:09 space captain

sounds like you guys havent got to the part of the demon campaign where you have to take over the elven kingdom while their hero sits back and builds up his army - its practically impossible.. because even if you do take him out, there is another hero in reserve with like twice that guy's army, who swoops in right after him and totally decimates you

its infuriating difficulty level, because even if you hardly ever lose any troops, and constantly reinforce just your one main army, you still dont have nearly enough troops to take them down

its insane - i cant imagine what the campaigns after that are like

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: I'm sorry. Jun 6, 2006, 15:46 Grounded

Nival Interactive can blow my asshole

They never take a game and provide the proper support, they totally destroyed Etherlords II when it could have been great with the proper add ons and card decks

They always leave out basic things like random map generators, and they never support multiplayer properly

5. Re: I'm sorry. Jun 6, 2006, 15:33 Halsy

I agree the campaigns could have used a lot more balance. Those campaigns where you're being chased by a hero whilst trying to get from A to B are fucking annoying. There's virtually zero room for error and, more or less, have to be completed a certain way or you're doomed for sure.

Add to which having to do all the campaigns in order sucks hard. And why the hell can't I pick my race on non-campaign maps, when the first thing I wanted to do was check out the undead. That's not good game design.

They need to get the editor out ASAP!

"This is the kind of place God would go to if He had to stop doing blow."
- Peter Griffin

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

4. Re: I'm sorry. Jun 6, 2006, 14:38 Tumbler

Hooray, now I can make my own maps and play...oh wait. New features include an auto patcher...

At least we can play better online right?....right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Jun 6, 2006, 14:37 Awesome Spume

Patience?

If I don't finish a game there's usually someone I can give it to who'll get something from it. With HOMM5 I just can't see the point. If I was trawling around the map in anticipation of some deep complex battle then it would be forgivable. But I'm not. In the campaign 99.9% of the battles (in the first campaign anyway) are against neutrals so Hero vs Hero is irrelevent. Not that I'm convinced the hero makes much of a difference compared to, say, a huge stack of marksmen.

On the plus side I went back to Spellforce 2 and am having a lot of fun with it (ironically because it's gotten harder as I progressed).

EDIT: oh oh oh and let's not forget that HOMM5 has brought my PC to its knees at normal detail at 1024x768 with a Athlon64 3600 2Gb ram and a 7800GS - not exactly cutting edge but I'd expect more than a slideshow.

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.
This comment was edited on Jun 6, 14:40.

2. Re: Jun 6, 2006, 14:19 Chip

lol... patience grasshoppa!

Patch = yeah! no random maps no editor = Boo!

---

(my Nexus fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

1. I'm sorry. Jun 6, 2006, 14:16 Awesome Spume

Is this the patch that makes the game fun? Actually an easy setting might do just that if it'll stop me having to circuit around the map 4 or 5 times just to build up an army to be torn down by the next mega stack of neutral mobs that's stopping me progressing along the map. And don't talk to me about the "chess like" battles because the tactical combat sucks hard.

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo