Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tuesday Hardware Reviews

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: one thing Jun 6, 2006, 14:08 ColoradoHoudini

i do like Toms Hardware list of the most common vid cards and their performance.
but it could do well to include a price chart from say.. the 3 cheapest places online.
so then you could see price and performance.

right now if i told u to find out if the 7900gt is worth getting for your current cpu for the price, would you be able to find that out from one website? or 3?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: one thing Jun 6, 2006, 12:53 Tumbler

@ColoradoHoudini:

Most reviews for top of the line cards don't bother reviewing on lower end system because they assume the main client is the upper level system owner.

That being said I also find it very frustrating to read reviews and see a card performance benchmarked against cards in the same chipset family.

6600/6800/7600/7800, etc. I'd be much more interested to see it compared to any video card at the same price level.

The review on hardware secrets for the HIS radeon x1600 shows it running against nvidia cards and ATI cards and I found it very helpful.

And the article about the x1300 on Bona Fide Reviews compared it against the AGP, PCI-E, and a 512mb version of the EXACT SAME CARD. Not very helpful.

I'd say before reading anything in one of these articles go see what they benchmark performance against, if it doesn't include competeing products just forget it. Unless you want to track the numbers yourself...

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 12:54.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. No subject Jun 6, 2006, 11:59 shinchan0s

What's with all the "X"s? Even an XXX edition for the XFX GeForce 7950 GX2... now that's just gratuitous use of the letter X right there.

1. one thing Jun 6, 2006, 10:11 ColoradoHoudini

one thing i wish hardware reviews showed (especially when it comes to cpus/vid cards) is a larger "compare group" and more setup options.

when i was researching my next computer, i wanted to be able to see the difference in speed with my future components vs my current stuff. My old components were only 2 generations removed from top of the line (wild example-had a 6800 wanted to see it pitted against a 7900 on a mid level cpu.. not an FX60), i figure that's not too far off to be included. i was wrong.

say for example a review of an x1900 vid card. can you find a recent review that shows that card and maybe the x1800/6800/7800/7900? hardly.. and if you do, they are always testing it on the highest end cpu you can buy.

so if i am joe consumer and i want to see the difference in performance i will be getting from my current hardware.. it's very difficult. i guess i'm trying to say that the majority of hardware reviews i come across assume that me as the consumer had the current technology and i'm upgrading to tomorrows. what about the guy that doesnt upgrade each month?

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 10:13.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo