Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Site Seeing

Thanks Frans.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: The words Jun 2, 2006, 10:14 Halo

So my friend went to E3 with his his presspass courtesy of Gotfrag.com right. He got in some Q&A with one of the devs, he's the most notable question.

Friend- "What about deckers? I've played what you have availiable and havent seen even a hint?"

Dev- "Well we understand that people will be upset with no deckers, what we really want to do is build a solid game base then add to it later."

So basically he said "If you know us, we say fuck deckers"
The only way I can see deckers even being usefull is in say a CTF type gameplay, but instead of a flag it's data, and you need a decker to hack into their Central Office and capture the data, then get him back to your CO to u/l the data back to your system. TA DA! Or they could hack into randomly generated spots in a map and steal money from players accounts then distribute it to the team.

What ever i'm just dreaming ideas, it's early. . .

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. The words Jun 2, 2006, 01:24 Creston

team-based combat game in conjunction with the name Shadowrun make me want to go out to Washington and fucking MURDER whichever festering chunk of cuntdrool made that decision.

Here's still hoping that PERHAPS, in the future, MS will realise that, hey, since Shadowrun is an P & P RPG, maybe... WE SHOULD MAKE AN RPG??

Where "in the future" = Before 2016. It only took them 10 years to figure out that their archaic Win3.1 netcode really isn't that secure, after all.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 01:26.

17. Dunno what I can add... Jun 1, 2006, 23:20 MacD

...most of it has been said already (and some of it in other threads by me too :)).

It's a sad non-use of a license to beautify a bastard son of Quake and Counterstrike. And the worst thing is (appart from the possibility that the licence will be buried for not 'performing' [hey, I wonder why?]) that a whole generations contact with Shadowrun will be through this game alone and they won't have any idea why that universe was cool.

16. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2006, 21:15 LightBender

Ugh, this is craptastic at it's best. It's the damn Hollywood syndrome. Let's take something that has a cult following then change things to fit the director's skewed vision! Ignore the source material, hell don't even consult the creators, just grab the license and make up stuff as you go!

And who are they kidding? Do they think you can take a mediocre shooter, slap the Shadowrun name on it and compete with the likes of Unreal Tournament or other respected names in FPS? Sorry, but you better have something impressive or even the best license won't save you.

15. No subject Jun 1, 2006, 19:06 Icewind

The only good thing about the Shadowrun announcement was that it got me to fire up Wgens and play the original Sega Shadowrun again. Me, Mars, and Stark (You don't get him until much later) busted the world up again. with a little help from the Don and some "looking the other way" from lonestar.

Yeah...good times.

what shocks me is that a Sega Genesis game, a cartridge based game no less, managed to do such a deeply complex version of the SR matrix. I'm willing to bet that if there is a Shadowrun PC RPG, the matrix isn't done half as well as the Genesis game did it.

14. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 18:07 Jaenos

I only remember Shadowrun from the Snes/Sega games and as soon as I saw this I was like "Wha?"

I remember a mod/independant developer was making a Shadowrun FPS back in 97(?) that looked way better then this, but it was more Deus Ex then this. But even right down to the look of the game I just don't get a Shadowrun feel from it.

13. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 17:50 Wowbagger_TIP

I could forgive Shadowrun if it actually looked good, fun and was even just a little true to its roots.

A lot of people have expressed this same feeling about the SR game. The initial reaction was pretty harsh, but as people settled down a little, they accepted that you could make a good Shadowrun FPS if you wanted to. The problem is that the devs didn't even try. Tragic waste of a great license.

Information doesn't want to be free, it wants to be tied up and spanked. It told me so itself, in a naughty little whisper.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 17:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Because the name will draw attention. It is the same thing with that new Might and Magic FPS game. They're throwing out the existing universe, but using the same name.
The name means nothing to people who don't know what Shadowrun is. And from the reactions I've seen, 95% of the people who do know what Shadowrun is hate this game. The point of using the license is to draw in fans of the license and generate excitement about the game. If you butcher the license, then you piss off the fans and have the opposite effect, as we've seen with this game. Bad idea.

Information doesn't want to be free, it wants to be tied up and spanked. It told me so itself, in a naughty little whisper.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 17:19 Koblizek

Because the name will draw attention. It is the same thing with that new Might and Magic FPS game. They're throwing out the existing universe, but using the same name. The only thing in common is that there are orcs and fireballs.

The thing is, those guys did Arx Fatalis, which reminded me a lot of the "What If" scenario of Thief becoming and RPG...underground. I liked it a lot and the gameplay I've seen of Dark Messiah looks good. Admittedly, it isn't an RPG, but I don't really care because it has RPG elements and actually looks FUN. I could forgive Shadowrun if it actually looked good, fun and was even just a little true to its roots.

10. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 15:28 MMORPGHoD

So, when are they going to have an official Dungeons & Dragons Auto Racing game?

9. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 14:29 Semantics

If you don't want to deal with it, then why the hell are you making a Shadowrun game?

Because the name will draw attention. It is the same thing with that new Might and Magic FPS game. They're throwing out the existing universe, but using the same name. The only thing in common is that there are orcs and fireballs.

8. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2006, 14:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Once this happens, the Shadowrun license will be locked away for another ten years before someone gets a clue and maybe attempts to do a game genre that's compatible with the license.

I'm afraid that's what's going to happen too. The sad thing is that even tho they made an iffy decision on the genre, they still could have made a great SR game if they'd taken the time to do it right. There have been a lot of ideas thrown out on the forums for how to make a good squad-based shooter in the SR universe. The devs just didn't want to be bothered with doing something that fits in with SR.

7. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 14:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Why even use the Shadowrun license is what I don't get.

I'm with you on that. I've posted on the official forums for the game. I'd say something like 95% of the posts there exhibit a negative opinion of the game. They threw out most of what makes Shadowrun what it is because they didn't want to deal with the "baggage". They seem to have forgotten that that baggage is the Shadowrun storyline and that it kind of matters if you're making a Shadowrun game. If you don't want to deal with it, then why the hell are you making a Shadowrun game? There are dozens of ways they could have made this game fit into the SR universe, while making little or no changes to the gameplay. They took the inexplicable route of throwing out pretty much everything, going with a backstory that is mostly incompatible with SR, and throwing in all kinds of gameplay gimmicks that further distance it from SR. So yeah, they should just rename this game, rewrite the few paragraphs of backstory, and be done with it.

6. No subject Jun 1, 2006, 14:21 nightfend

I second the notion that the game is going to do poorly (especially considering it will be competing with games like Quake Tournament and Unreal 2007). Once this happens, the Shadowrun license will be locked away for another ten years before someone gets a clue and maybe attempts to do a game genre that's compatible with the license.

5. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 13:49 FourPak

Make an RPG game out of an RPG game? nah.
Hey, maybe they'll publish it in "Episodic" format.

4. Paranoia Jun 1, 2006, 13:21 Koblizek

That's pretty funny, I was just talking the other day with a friend of mine who used to play Paranoia. I asked him about it since he still had the play books and tried to "cooerce" him into doing a campaign. It didn't work... heh

3. No subject Jun 1, 2006, 13:12 space captain

yeh its incredibly stupid - the net virtual world played a big part in that game... dont hear anything about that

while we are talking about old semi-obscure RPGs, id love to see someone do a Paranoia video game.. that would be interesting

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 12:09 Koblizek

Why even use the Shadowrun license is what I don't get. I mean, I've heard mixed reports from E3. Some say it was fun, some didn't enjoy it, but I think all would agree its far from revolutionary, maybe slightly (ever so slightly) evolutionary. But in terms of gameplay they have a lot to prove and the fact that 8 maps are shipping, when the reality is maybe one or two will be good sheerly as typical ratio (in my opinion). If you want to reset the timeline, if there's too much nostalgia already tied to the PnP or previous console games then why even bother with Shadowrun? Ok, so you aren't good at making RPGs and have experience in other areas, that's acceptable. But why take a PnP RPG and turn it into something its not. The original game wasn't about running and gunning for 4 minutes max and buying weapons at the beginning of a round CS style. It was about infiltration and trying *not* to get caught. I don't know, it just seems like such an abomination of an idea. They should've just made their own CS clone without the license.

1. Shadowrun Jun 1, 2006, 12:01 Cutedge

When this game crashes and burns, I hope Microsoft and FASA can understand why.

A fucking team based shooter. I can't say that it's the worst idea ever (as I do like dystopia), but why not an RPG? Why not something that takes advantage of the world? Why not a fucking MMO? I mean, come on!

Shadowrun™ is a team-based FPS for both Xbox 360™ and Windows Vista™, set in a world where ancient magic blends with modern weapons and advanced technology to form a revolution in multiplayer FPS gaming.

Revolutionary my ass.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo