Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - X-Men: The Official Game

Activision announces X-Men: The Official Game is now available, brining its mutant officialness to PCs and consoles:

Santa Monica, CA – May 16, 2006 – Inspired by Marvel Entertainment’s legendary Super Hero franchise and serving as a prelude to the upcoming Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Studios’ feature film “X-Men: The Last Stand,” Activision, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) X-Men: The Official Game premieres today at retail outlets nationwide. The game catapults players into an original storyline that allows them to command the distinct powers of Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Iceman as they battle classic Brotherhood villains including Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike and Multiple Man and traverse unique environments that showcase each character’s abilities while embarking on an epic quest to save mutant-kind.

X-Men: The Official Game is the first Super Hero game for the Xbox™ 360 video game system from Microsoft and is available for a suggested retail price of $59.99. The PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft and the Nintendo® GameCube™ versions are available for a suggested retail price of $39.99. The PC, Nintendo DS™ and Game Boy® Advance versions are available for a suggested retail price of $29.99. The console and PC games have been rated “T” (“Teen” – violence) and the handheld games have been rated “E-10+” (“Everyone 10 and older” – fantasy violence) by the ESRB.

“In X-Men: The Official Game, players will experience the events leading up to the ‘X-Men: The Last Stand’ feature film,” said Will Kassoy, vice president of global brand management, Activision, Inc. “Co-written by Zak Penn, the screenwriter of the film, and legendary comic book writer Chris Claremont, and featuring the voice talent of Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Shawn Ashmore and Alan Cumming, the game truly enables players to become a part of the X-Men movie universe .”

For the first time, X-Men: The Official Game lets players truly experience the powers of three popular Super Heroes from the X-Men movie universe by allowing them to take on the roles of Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Iceman as they wield and upgrade their signature powers and maneuver through unique environments designed to showcase their Super Hero abilities. Assisted by other X-Men characters including Storm and Colossus, players will use an advanced control scheme to master and control the characters as they unleash Wolverine’s combat rage, experience Nightcrawler’s acrobatics and teleportation powers and glide through the air on Iceman’s ice slide.

For more information on X-Men: The Official Game, please visit http://www.x-mengame.com.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Hey..this thread has nothing... May 18, 2006, 00:05 PacoTaco

To do with this game at all? It has nothing to do with products from Raven; it is from Z-axis and a 3rd person action game? Did everyone miss that? Pc people do not usually buy third person action games, Splinter Cell ended being given away as a free download for Gamespy but it was a good console game. Consoles gaming is where most of the money is these days, and has been this way, Gears of War is a Xbox360 title first, and PC second, Ut2007 is going to be a PS3 title first and a PC title second. Why? Because you can sell about 700,000 copies of a good PC title, Madden sells what 4 million a year? Pc games are also much more expensive to support after its shipped patches, different hardware, etc. The exceptions are the Sims and WOW which are some of the most profitable game products ever created, you still have that 700k ceiling that most products top out at, which doesn’t justify the risk of a PC only title. Now people are going to keep on trying, if you can create a WOW or Sims your are sitting on a gold mine, the entry to create a PC game is very low, a decent PC, and some software so I don’t think PC gaming is going away, I look forward to it as a way to provide more innovative indie development, and for first timers to learn with all the tools, and great engines to play with.

BTW don’t think anyone who makes games thinks that the people who buy them are stupid at all, most people in the industry are gamers who buy games, I think of gamers as the most well informed costumers on the planet, that have high standards. Some one please play this game and tell me if it is any good.

Thanks a bunch…

This comment was edited on May 18, 00:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject May 17, 2006, 21:37 Creston

Well why was Oblivion like $15 (?) cheaper on the PC than on the 360? It didn't cost more to develop it for the 360.

I also believe that PC games are free in price, meaning that a retailer can charge whatever they want for it, but I think that 360 games are fixed. Ie, it's 60 bucks, and that's what you're forced to charge.

Not sure, but that would explain it. Don't forget the licensing costs though, those are very very hefty on a next gen console.

Creston

19. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 12:03 MyRealName

Now you're getting it! Yes, you should do exactly that.

Edit: Seriously though, there are PC gamers paying $60? Yeesh, shop around, guys.

Boycott Starforce
http://www.glop.org/starforce/
http://www.boycottstarforce.net
This comment was edited on May 17, 12:04.

18. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 10:07 PHJF

Not willing to pay $60 for a game? Tell that to Blizzard.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 10:05 PHJF

oh that's right...
I bought the game used at blockbuster for xbox (i dont own an xbox) so i could play it on my friend's now broken xbox.

Then I ended up bringing it to school and playing it on another xbox.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."

16. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 10:01 MyRealName

They (many publishers now) are charging more because you (royal you) are willing to pay it, simple as that. They know PC gamers are not going to pay $60 for a game, so they won't even try it. They obviously feel Xbox2 owners on the other hand, are stupid and will get out the credit card without hesitation.

If you don't like it, do something about it.

Boycott Starforce
http://www.glop.org/starforce/
http://www.boycottstarforce.net

15. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 09:08 Acleacius

" I'm not so sure I can disagree with that mentality... "

Yeah, well they based their design of Oblivion with that mentality.
A PC franchise turned into a shitty port, designed for stupid people.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: No subject May 17, 2006, 08:45 Bill Nakano

Well why was Oblivion like $15 (?) cheaper on the PC than on the 360? It didn't cost more to develop it for the 360.

(a) licensing costs. The have to pay MS when they sell an Xbox 360 game.

(b) not that it matters but Oblivion prolly sold 5 times as much on the PC than on the, still limited in numbers, 360.

(c) captive market. Everybody else is charging the same.

13. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 07:46 War

I've played thru both Legends games on the PC
That's gonna be hard, because the first X-Men Legends wasn't released on PC.

When porting a game to the PC, the developer might want to drop mouse/keyboard control completly, instead of implementing some unusable bullshit. And if there might be a sticker on the box like "Gamepad required", no complaining from me
Which reminds me: when are companies going to wake up and start supporting the Xbox 360 gamepad natively? Bloody hell, the only game I've seen is Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones!

Oh, and if you don't have an X360 pad for your PC, now it's the time to pick one up. (If you have a wired X360 controller already, you only need the drivers.)

shitty development mentally that treats console gamers as stupid
I'm not so sure I can disagree with that mentality...

12. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 06:04 PHJF

My friends played Legends 2 using just the keyboard, it didn't look that bad. Basically WASD plus IJKL.

------

11. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 05:25 Acleacius

Heh, you forgot crapy console controls, crapy console menu systems, crapy console text )big enough to to see 15 feet from your monitor) and shitty development mentally that treats console gamers as stupid.
I.e. Oblivion's constant popup messages revealing every plot point, never allowing gmaers to think for themselves or choose to open the Journal on your own if you can't figure something out.

Btw Speaking of shitty console ports, I just finished Condemned, had potiental but with the shitty job Monlilith did porting and possibly the worst ending for a game ever(?).
Pitty really they have made some great games, well now they have the worst they ever made PC Condemned.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 05:22 Kajetan

I've played thru both Legends games on the PC and didn't find anything wrong with the controls in either of them. Granted, I have a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2... but that's beyond the point, I say!

When porting a game to the PC, the developer might want to drop mouse/keyboard control completly, instead of implementing some unusable bullshit. And if there might be a sticker on the box like "Gamepad required", no complaining from me

This comment was edited on May 17, 05:23.

9. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 05:14 PHJF

I've played thru both Legends games on the PC and didn't find anything wrong with the controls in either of them.

Granted, I have a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2... but that's beyond the point, I say!

[edit] yeah, i love how every port has horrendous textures. Oblivion default Large textures are 1024x1024, while you can download a mod to make them 4096x4096. They look ridiculously better.[/edit]

------
This comment was edited on May 17, 05:15.

8. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 04:42 .Drifter

Something I've been curious about, seeing as how the Xbox 360 and PS3 have HDTV level graphics, will this mean better looking PC ports?
I mean, the biggest complaints I've read about PC ports were:
1. Crappy, console level textures
2. Crappy, console level graphic and model detail

So, considering the games will have to look better due to being on HDTV's, will the PC ports actually start to resemble PC games? If so, and if the price stays 20 to 30 bucks cheaper than console (for some titles at least) I'm all for that.

7. No subject May 17, 2006, 04:04 pgoeleven

Well why was Oblivion like $15 (?) cheaper on the PC than on the 360? It didn't cost more to develop it for the 360. It probably didn't even cost that much extra to develop than a "current" generation game. It's probably just the xbox fee, PLUS to get people accustomed to the higher prices they want to charge this next generation. Console games are just getting ridiculously expensive.

You can say what you want about consoles being cheaper, but know that you're getting fleeced on games, accessories and subscriptions. People never factor in those costs in the total price picture.

6. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 03:40 Kajetan

A game doesn't have to suck just because of its liscence...

X-Men legends 2 sucks terribly on the PC, because they fucked up the controls. It is actually quite entertaining on a console.

5. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 03:28 PHJF

uhhh X-Men Legends are terribly fun games. A game doesn't have to suck just because of its liscence...

------

4. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 03:09 Bhruic

Nice, I didn't even catch that. You've got to wonder what the justification is for that. Does the PC version suck that badly? Is MS charging that much for the xbox license?

3. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 02:55 Flo

PC version at 29.99 and xbox 360 at 59.99 ??  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

2. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 02:39 Halsy

Sucks it'll be just another shitty console port for the PC. I'll pass.

Jason Biggs: Oh, look at the monkey.
James Van Der Beek: Now you're gonna tell me the monkey's gay.
Jason Biggs: Well, how do you know he doesn't smoke monkey pole?

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo