Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sword of the Stars Delayed

Lighthouse Interactive (thanks Frans) announces a delay to Sword of the Stars, their upcoming 4X space strategy game, saying the game is now due this summer:

Lighthouse CEO Erik Schreuder said: "The game development is nearly done and for quite a while we had anticipated to be able to make the previously announced June release date, but a variety of factors really made us feel it is in best interest of the product to go out later this summer." Schreuder went on to say: "The added time will allow us to complete all localizations for the European markets to ensure a synchronized global release. Having a bit more time will also mean more development time for tweaking, AI enhancing and QA."

Additional official Sword of the Stars announcements are scheduled for the coming weeks including news on the demo release date and new game release date.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. No subject May 14, 2006, 01:33 Lubey

I got Galciv 2 not long after release but i still havent installed it yet. Whats wrong with me? :/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Homeworld May 13, 2006, 10:09 rorschachsix

Think more along the lines of MOO1 or MOO2 4x combat. It's turn based, but the map is full 3d. There's 140 or so techs in the research tree. 4 very different races that have unique ways of travelling between the stars.

Ships consist of mix and match of 3 sections: command, mission, and engines. Each race has at least 80 graphically unique ship sections.

Lots more info at the SotS wiki.

19. Re: Homeworld May 13, 2006, 04:38 Bet

Creston, it's a 4x with homeworld style real time combat - thats presumably why hes interested...

Exactly right. I'm banking on Empire at War style 4x, nothing that is a true comparison to GalCiv. Then again, they might surprise us and manage to pull a quality 4x out to support the combat.

But hell, this game is going to be all about the tactical combat in my eyes.

18. Re: Homeworld May 13, 2006, 03:40 Duc

Creston, it's a 4x with homeworld style real time combat - thats presumably why hes interested...

17. Re: Homeworld May 13, 2006, 00:23 Bucky

Btw, Galciv2 is going to up the AI in the next patch and add a feature that lets the AI use "extra CPU cycles", so you can get an even smarter AI in return for some slower turns.

Yeah, to be added along with the UI updates. Which is to say, whenever they feel like it... (though knowing them, that'll be before I'm done typing this).

I hope the extra CPU cycles allows the AI to design ships more than once per year, too.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
GW: Alia Arjel[BC] Mo/Me

16. Re: No subject May 13, 2006, 00:22 Shadowcat

People interested should really check out Darkstar One as well.
What? I could swear I heard someone mention Darkstar One in the same sentence as Wing Commander and Freespace. Is that wrong? If not, it has nothing to do with SotS which is a 4X strategy game.

15. Re: Homeworld May 12, 2006, 23:57 Creston

GalCiv is great, but it's no Homeworld.

I'm going to make a wild guess here, but seeing as how the little blurb says "Sword of the Stars, their upcoming 4X space strategy game", I'd say that THIS isn't Homeworld either.

And nin, Amen. Galciv2's AI probably made theirs look like Return to Castle Wolfenstein in comparison.
Btw, Galciv2 is going to up the AI in the next patch and add a feature that lets the AI use "extra CPU cycles", so you can get an even smarter AI in return for some slower turns.
Can I get a Yay Woot?!

Creston

14. Homeworld May 12, 2006, 22:30 Bet

I've been looking forward to this game once I heard that the developers from Homeworld Cataclysm were working on it. That makes it promising in my eyes. GalCiv is great, but it's no Homeworld.

13. No subject May 12, 2006, 19:15 Kxmode

o_o

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kXmode-Fallen_refresh.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

12. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 17:47 Bucky

English demo hits next week.

Sweet, thanks for the news. I was actually going to download the german demo today, instead I'll wait.

---

11. No subject May 12, 2006, 17:44 aesir05

English demo hits next week.

10. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 17:24 Bucky

would have liked to see a little more emphasis on the tactical side of combat in galciv2, but I guess I can't have everything

You're nuts. I mean that in a good way, too. Seriously though, right now I'm still honing my skills and only playing on a large galaxy with 5 AI at tough and I have more battles than I care to watch, let alone hand fight.

Specifically, the release of GalCiv2 caused several devs to soil themselves, and the whole project headed back to the drawing board."

LOL

---

9. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 16:16 Karnisov

would have liked to see a little more emphasis on the tactical side of combat in galciv2, but I guess I can't have everything. overall it is an excellent game. i also wish you could more finely tweak the production focus of each planet.

This comment was edited on May 12, 16:18.

"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

8. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 13:34 Ratty

I really enjoyed Dagger of the Stars and while the lesser known Club of the Stars had some issues, I believe Shield of the Stars easily made of for that.
Wiffle Bat of the Stars was pretty good too.

7. Re: WTF is this game???? May 12, 2006, 13:06 asrof

'I don't want sequels, but I don't want games I've never heard of either!'

6. WTF is this game???? May 12, 2006, 12:32 Wildone

eom

5. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 11:10 Grounded

DAMMIT

I was really looking forward to this...

Wait..no I wasn't...

4. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 10:40 Bill Nakano

I've a soft spot for Stairway to the Stars.

I tried Gal Civ 2. Didn't much care for it but it sure is polished.

3. No subject May 12, 2006, 10:28 nightfend

OH NO!!! This can't be! What will I do with my life while I am waiting for Sword of Stars to come out...

I really enjoyed Dagger of the Stars and while the lesser known Club of the Stars had some issues, I believe Shield of the Stars easily made of for that.

2. Re: No subject May 12, 2006, 10:16 Zoomboy27

Good'un nin

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo