Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Patches

The first patches for the PC edition of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter are now available, updating GRIN's special forces shooter sequel to version 1.06 by addressing several bugs and other issues. There is an update for the retail boxed edition of the game, which can be found on 3D Gamers, FileFront, Strategy Informer, VGPRO, and Worthplaying. There is also a patch for the downloadable edition, this is available on 3D Gamers, FileFront, and Worthplaying.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. No subject May 11, 2006, 22:56 Kxmode

I'm sure our real Advanced Warfighters in the battlefield would love to get some "patches".

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kXmode-Fallen_refresh.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 22:39 zee

the enemies have the eyesight of a hawk, a hawk with nightvision goggles. Peak around a corner for a second and they'll spot you from a mile away, even in the dark! Some games' enemies are near blind but these are way too good.

This is a beef I had with the original Rainbow Six and it has stayed this way since then in all the series. I guess that is how the fans like it.

I wish they had a check box in the options: "Psychic enemies off". I mean what are the chances the enemy is looking with concentration in your precise direction for 10 minutes and is able to fire a precise head shot with an AK-47 at 300 feet. These bloody terrorists seem all to be professional sharpshooters! I would have at least reduced the accuracy of the shooting in the lowest difficulty level so you get enough time to run for cover.

BTW this game uses both Havok AND PhysX. I guess they originally used Havok and then added PhysX to increase sales. I think support for acceleration hardware was added too late to the game to make much of a difference (http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ageia_physx_response/).

28. Its a Start May 11, 2006, 22:13 Paranoid Jack

Fixes

- Client no longer receives "CD key rejected" message when server dies in coop.
- Crosscom border now correctly disappears when spawning into AI ghost in coop.
- Fixed issues with leaving mission area in coop.
- Fixed in-mission inventory issues that could cause double gun objects.
- Player nicknames are now correctly shortened to fit Ghost leader HUD in coop.
- A memory leak occurring in certain situations when playing Domination has been sealed.
- Ghost AI is now less likely to stare at the walls when taking cover.
- Adjusted map settings and glitches on missions 3, 4 and 10.
- Certain animations have been corrected.
- Adjusted sounds for certain objects.
- Some text strings have been added or corrected.

Hoping they stomp some more of these bugs really really soon!

27. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 20:58 BurntSoul

Are you serious? What good is a game that gets fixed after you've finished it and are done with it?

Ones that may have promise and re-playability with the modding community, building single and multiplayer maps.

Also, I personally slow way down when it comes to playing single player to take in the whole experience. Why should I blast as fast as possible through my leisure time with the game? I'm not racing anyone...

...I do feel your pain when it comes to waiting for patches, but I have a good feeling that the devs are on top of things, given their good head start.

They shouldn't have released it in it's current state imo, I mean unless there's some trick to making the AI work that only the developers know about they consciously shipped a shoddy product.

Well, I think we all know that Devs don't usually have control as to when they ship their product, 'cause when all is said and done, its not entirely their product, is it? They just work there.

In this particular case, I'm not here to defend them.

However, I would rather micromanage semi-intelligent gun posts than have no control at all and watch the game play like a movie. After all, the bots have to make it feel like you are having an effect - or some control - over the environment around you, right? So where's that magic slider to make them feel perfect? I have no idea man. It's nice to dream.

Make them too dumb, the game sucks, Make them too smart - they cheat - which makes them look invincible, not allowing you to get a kill in edgewise. Or they are so smart/dumb they are scripted. In which case the game sucks again.

I don't think that this is a work of shoddyness as it is more to figure out how to create a realistic AI opponent for everyone. ALL games have a certain level of this drawback and it is really relative to the quality of how the gamer plays.

It can be a fun game, at times, but there's just too much grief due to the AI imo. So, overall, thumbs down.

Well whenever I get tired of the single player experience I usually battle some human opponents online. Why don't you give it a shot?

26. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 19:57 sponge

GRAW PC is also getting bundled in a special version of ASUS' PhysX card. Which will be the one I'll get, then.

A PhysX card AND it's entire library of games?

Not bad.

(yes my post is tongue in cheek.)

25. Re: Some Ideas for the Jaded... May 11, 2006, 19:51 Igor

Is this the patch that makes the friendly AI get a fuckin clue when they are getting shot at? I'm tired of friendlies taking up a bad spot and then get shot in the back cause they don't feel like turning around... or when allies don't run away from tanks cause they think they are supermen.

EDIT: Controlling the allies from outside the command map is pretty stupid, if you could have held down the "Cover" command and dragged it like in the command map so that at the first click selected from which point you wanted them to cover, and at the second click where they should cover, it would have been a LOT more useful.

What's the point in the AI covering from the same damn place I'm at, usually there isn't... I can do a much better job than the AI with any gun, and that's just sad
This comment was edited on May 11, 19:53.

24. No subject May 11, 2006, 19:47 pgoeleven

Are you serious? What good is a game that gets fixed after you've finished it and are done with it?

They shouldn't have released it in it's current state imo, I mean unless there's some trick to making the AI work that only the developers know about they consciously shipped a shoddy product.

It can be a fun game, at times, but there's just too much grief due to the AI imo. So, overall, thumbs down.

23. Re: Nice game May 11, 2006, 19:33 BurntSoul

Cheese,

Yeah I have an ATI Radeon X800XT PE on 1280x960 and it's really nice.

22. Re: My opinion of GR: AW May 11, 2006, 19:30 BurntSoul

hhehehe! Well said, War!

21. My opinion of GR: AW May 11, 2006, 19:29 BurntSoul

Okay, I feel this game has promise.

Historically speaking: I cannot compare Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior to GR2, because I do not own a console. However, I do like how the game feels from its original Ghost Recon PC perspective and how they worked in the map/camera/drone/team controls. With the exception of no GR2 for the PC, it has thankfully NOT gone down the same path as the PC Rainbow Six (Lockdown) path.

Graphics are nice, though they may scare the medium to low end userbase. It's not an 'Oblivion' though. You can put options low enough to get a decent framerate. I do wish you could have more control over the Aegis Physics stuff, though. Well, I really wish that my video card had it built on board already - truth be told...

Sound is nice, just what you would expect. I have an Creative X-Fi card. Very nice.

I'm happy to get back into a game that supports CoOp. I'm also happy to get back into a game that focuses on a more immersive close combat experience. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I am really 'in there'. It must be the way the camera moves, mimicking the body - or the speed of how the body reacts. It just feels right, know what I mean? For example, if you've played Medal of Honor it 'feels' a certain way to play. It's not to say MoH:AA was a terrible game - it was in fact very good. When CoD came out however, you could tell there was a better representation of how the virtual body 'fit'. It just felt more natural.

This is the same thing I'm talking about, and like all the Tom Clancy Tactical FPSs out there it does it very well.
Dirt gets kicked up in your face when you stop short, glare of the sun has an effect on the buildings and cars around you, fire warps the air with waves of heat and distorts objects behind it. and finally, how your body jostles to and fro.

Two things I do miss is when you get hit you limp and when you run so far you get tired. These are small things but they pulled me in even deeper into the game.

Another drawback at times can be your teammates. They can lag behind at times. I think part of it for me right now is learning how to control them from the HUD as opposed to the top down satellite map view. controlling your team from the top down map will give you a much snappier experience with them, as you are pinpointing a specific location you want them to go. When you select your whole team to move, they will not always go exactly where you want them (no, not on a dime) though this can be construed as more realistic, right?
Unfortunately, they do not intelligently retreat as well as I would have expected either.

I believe the previous poster was correct: you are micromanaging teammates a little more than what you would originally expect in this day and age. However, where does the developer draw the line between the 'perfect bot' (perfect pathing but too rigid, infinite sight and accuracy, and can see enemies and friendly's as a psychic would) and the 'dumb ass' (walks into a walls without pathing around it, shoots friendly's in the way, doesn't take cover). Whether it's the teammate or the enemy, it can be a hard task to get it just so to make it seem more immersive - more realistic. I have faith that they will rectify the AIs misses here and there. In fact, I believe they have already begun with their initial 1.06 patch.

Multiplayer is a blast and is quickly paced. No, no vehicle interaction beyond blowing the shit out of them, no flying around in helicopters or jets. This is not a Battlefield clone (which tends to be 'arcadey' as opposed to GR:AW). I will look forward to their Deathmatch mode in the next patch. One glitch is the gamespy logins and the ping times are weird, but there are enough servers out there when you do connect.

In my opinion, the PC gaming community for GR:AW will grow, believe me.

20. Re: Some Ideas for the Jaded... May 11, 2006, 19:27 War

I usually wait more than a week before deciding how a game is going to fare with the community
My personal policy is to not give a damn about how the community receives a game. It's either good or not. I prefer to judge games on their own merits. If the community wants to play a crappy game and avoid a good game, well, it's their right.

As long as they don't whine when more crappy games are released.

19. Nice game May 11, 2006, 18:48 Cheese

On my nVidia7800 gs Ive got it maxed with no slowdowns and the AI seems to have gotten better since the demo.

18. Some Ideas for the Jaded... May 11, 2006, 18:45 BurntSoul

I don't know about anyone else, but I usually go by these guidelines:

1. Even though a Demo could be available for a game, many times there are issues and drawbacks (not to mention a good lack of the full product present) that are not necessarily representative of the final result. Therefore I take a Demo with a huge grain of salt.

2. When I see a patch come out within a week of when the game was initially delivered to stores, I usually don't complain about what is in it or how large the patch is. Instead, I realize that the current development team is on top of their product, and the community should be happy about it. When I see a version of a game or piece of software go from 1.00 (or ship date version) to 1.06, I know that there will not necessarily be alot fixed in the patch. Given the immediacy that the patch came out, it probably fixes some show stoppers that were quickly realized and corrected.

3. I usually wait more than a week before deciding how a game is going to fare with the community, and I usually don't shut a game down with my personal opinions that quickly either. If I can note enough good points to overbalance it's bad points, I wait longer for development to hopefully resolve those bad points within a reasonable timeframe. This means I also note if development is taking active cues from their audience, or if they are giving them the finger.

These are just my guidelines, though.

17. No subject May 11, 2006, 17:41 pgoeleven

To those who are having framerate issues: this game would melt my GPU but since I've installed the latest drivers (NVIDIA) it's pretty smooth (6600GT).

I'm playing it right now and man... they seriously missed the ball on some points. First off, the AI is TERRIBLE (both friendly and enemie really, but friendly matters the most). I played the demo a lot and when you're in an urban area and you know the level's progress a bit, then it's manageable. But most of the time your teammates just slow you down. Second... the enemies have the eyesight of a hawk, a hawk with nightvision goggles. Peak around a corner for a second and they'll spot you from a mile away, even in the dark! Some games' enemies are near blind but these are way too good. Another thing that bugs me is that you can't save, there's no good way to neutralize a machine gun emplacement and you can't even give straightforward attack orders. There was this one level where my whole team just simply refused to go down one route, and virtually backtracked the entire map to get to my position. And finally (actually I could go on...) your teammates are way too slow, they'll follow you when ordered, but they're never close enough to be of any good when you get ambushed.

I don't know what to make of the AI, it's not a mircomanagement AI -I think- but you do have to babysit them, like, all the time. :s

Imo this game is a miss, there's just so many elements interfering with a good, fun gameplay experience.

The patch notes don't even mention any proper AI fixes.

16. not much of patch May 11, 2006, 17:04 Marvin T. Martian

From the description I read, no new maps, no dedicated server, no new modes of MP play!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

15. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, he just confirmed that. He said it also makes the CrossCom a solid colour.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

14. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 16:56 Cabezone

It also disables the night vision.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 14:40 Parallax Abstraction

A friend of mine says disabling all HDR effects takes off the yellow-tinge to everything. It's supposed to be there though in the daytime missions.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

12. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 14:26 MeatForce

Is there a menu option to disable Ridley Scott mode? Everything appears to be just a different shade of yellow,

MUAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

LMAO @ that

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

11. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 14:24 changingman

I wonder what Aegia's answer is to that

Software mode for their physics engine. That's why with GRAW, you get their drivers installed anyway. I haven't noticed the physics at all in GRAW except for the occasional kicked can noise and the one time I made a car blow up, which happened to be when I was standing behind it.

Is there a menu option to disable Ridley Scott mode? Everything appears to be just a different shade of yellow, except for the shadows, which are a deep shade of black until you walk into them and find a lot of gunfire.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo