Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alone in the Dark Goes Episodic

Atari Announces New Game Structure for 'Alone in the Dark' (thanks Frans) has word on a new TV-style episodic structure for the upcoming horror/survival game:

Continuing the pioneering heritage that began with the first Alone in the Dark in 1992, Alone in the Dark will feature an episodic game structure to enhance the players' engagement with the story and keep them riveted to the screen. The originator of the survival horror gaming genre, Alone in the Dark is being developed by Eden Games for the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows platform and will deliver a fiercely gripping and terrifying gaming experience.

Taking inspiration from the presentation style and structure of a number of acclaimed and globally popular TV action dramas, Alone in the Dark is split into distinct episodes in a season-style format. Eden Games has departed from the typical ten-hour game based on film-style scripts and structures and focuses on TV-season format in order to deliver a constant sustained pace and high level of narrative intensity.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. That is just excellent news May 2, 2006, 22:06 Creston

Now I have TWO reasons to completely ignore it!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Out of the Blue May 2, 2006, 21:55 Kxmode

Where did this game come from? I thought Owe Boll killed it?!

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kXmode-Fallen_refresh.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

16. Misleading title, Blue May 2, 2006, 17:40 Shadowcat

the news title is misleading... See to it Blue!
Seconded. With the recent usage for the term "episodic" in gaming (especially around these parts), *everyone* is going to misinterpret this title.

Although it never says it outright (no doubt because they didn't anticipate any confusion in the first place), the press release does say that each episode is about 30-40 minutes long "offering easy accessibility whether the player has hours to devote or only wants a quick TV-style fix", and when you quit the game you'll get a teaser for the next episode, which at least implies that you have all the episodes at your disposal from the beginning. Who would pay for 30-40 minutes of game, after all?

Anyone else thinking of "The Devil Inside", btw?

15. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 17:04 FourPak

arg, Episodic, a new word for marketing to distort -

is Oblivion an Episode in The Elder Scrolls?
are D&D scenarios Episodes in a Campaign?

i dunno. But i do know i can rely
on Humpty Dumpty marketing
to tell me what is what.
---
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

twas brillig, and the slithy toves,
did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
all episodic were the borogroves,
and the mome raths outgrabe.

-Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

14. No subject May 2, 2006, 16:59 aesir05

This is the best thing that could possibly happen to AitD.

Finally we won't get a crappy game, if they can't do anything with the first episode then no one will buy the second episode.

Now to see how much Activision charges for the episodes...

One other thing comes to mind, will gamers who buy all the episodes settle for the usual delays when it comes to episodic titles.
Obviously everyone expects their TV shows to be aired on time, can the games following this structure ship subsequent episodes in a timely manner remains to be seen.

Here's how they can fuckup....
ending the episode on a climactic situation, carnby opens the door and is confronted by xyz holding a gun to his face....wait 6-10 months to find out what happens next.

13. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 16:04 Masa

As much as I liked Alone in the Dark, the gamestyle went along the evolution of Resident Evil and such. I'm not a big fan of RE, I'll admit they're better than the original Alone in the Darks..

12. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 13:14 AhrimaaN

If they consider that episodic it's hardly groundbreaking - anyone heard of a game called Doom??? That was broken up into episodes too. What a crappy press release.

11. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 13:01 Fantaz

Well I think this is interesting. If they make the episodes cheaper than I'm certainly not complaining.

10. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 12:12 MyRealName

has departed from the typical ten-hour game
Typical? Ten-hour shit, that would be.

Some games today still offer long gameplay; don't support what you don't want to become the norm.

Boycott Starforce
http://www.glop.org/starforce/
http://www.boycottstarforce.net

9. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 11:55 Pr()ZaC

Confirming that the game won't be released through episodes, like SiN, but it'll contain the full experience from the beginning.  

8. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 11:51 Wade

I DID read the press release and I still don't know what the hell they're trying to say. In no way do I get the idea that it is a single game that is divided into "episodes" -- which would make them chapters right? -- nor did I get that it would be episodic content like SiN and Half-Life 2.

There is simply not enough information in the press release to make that determination!

7. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 11:12 Parallax Abstraction

Atari's likely going to be bankrupt before this even comes out anyway.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 10:55 Optimaximal

tbh, the news title is misleading... See to it Blue!

5. Re: Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 10:38 Elf Shot The Food

It's not being released in episodic format. You'll get the whole game when you buy it, but each "chapter" will play like an episode of a TV show.

Please people, read the press release before commenting.

4. Muhahaha May 2, 2006, 10:30 AhrimaaN

The end is nigh!

The dawn of the end of gaming. lol

Eden Games has departed from the typical ten-hour game based on film-style scripts

wow. sounds like they believe a 10 hour game is normal - unfortunately in this day and age it seems to be true ever more so as days go by. Wow

10 hour game and they still want to go episodic? no wonder they are doing it... they'll be able to stretch the game out with a longer development period and make more from it...

interesting how this will work on xbox though. hmmm

naysayers jump up and speak.

3. Re: No subject May 2, 2006, 10:23 Elf Shot The Food

It sounds like the whole game will be released at the same time; this isn't "episodic" in the way of Sin Episodes or Half-Life 2: Episode One.

Just as long as they don't interrupt the game every ten minutes for commercials, it sounds like an okay idea.

2. No subject May 2, 2006, 10:04 RazorWynd

BOLL KG.

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

1. No subject May 2, 2006, 10:04 TomeOne

Oh ho ho! This will cause a shitstorm.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo