Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

War Rock Announced

The Official War Rock Website heralds development of War Rock, an upcoming multiplayer first-person shooter. The twist here is that the game is free-to-play, with a business model that relies on purchases of additional abilities and weapons by those seeking an advantage. The game is expected to launch in the summer, but there will be an open beta beginning next month. Word is the game will offer several game modes, support for custom content, and the ever-popular 3D voice chat:

The community-driven game-play supports additional maps, weapons, vehicles and in-game 3D voice chat. The game will eventually incorporate several modes including timed competition, survivor (timed free-for-all), independent one-on-one death match mode and last man standing.

"War Rock is an extremely addictive shooter with great weapons, smooth and intuitive controls and a wide variety of battle modes. From close quarters battles between SpecOps teams in built up urban areas to island campaigns with fast attack boats and helicopter gunships, War Rock has everything any adrenaline junkie will ever need," Matt Norton, War Rock producer, K2 Network, said.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No subject May 5, 2006, 15:39 silentnight

umm where did you download this? everywhere i looked it said they where still developing it and beta wasnt out yet

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2006, 03:16 Shadowcat

The free game but pay for other stuff could work, but not like this…not giving distinct advantages too.
There are many examples to the contrary. People have been buying and selling game features for quite some time now. Especially in MMOs like Everquest. Some people will spend significant dollars on highly-ranked characters or equipment.

And I will also point out the masses of folks who cheat at online games (necessitating the inventions of the likes of Punkbuster). If they can get an advantage for a few bucks, they're going to go for it. I expect some of them are salivating at the idea of a game where they can be 'better' than most other players just buy spending a bit of cash.

That's not to say that there won't be gameplay areas/arenas that are restricted to certain levels of character, either. There's no reason why it would *have* to be a case of paying customers wiping the floor with non-paying customers (and for the person who said skill won't come into it, that's a silly statement. A skilled player will often run rings around the opposition, regardless of what kind of ammunition is coming their way.

And in the end, the cost of a moderately well-equiped character is likely to be a lot less than buying a regular retail game, so if you enjoy the gameplay, why the hell not pay to get more of it? The core game didn't cost you a cent, after all.

Good luck to 'em, I say.

16. No subject Apr 28, 2006, 21:33 Fallout_Boy

I absolutely agree this is a CRAP game.
It was so bad I deleted it quickly lest it infect the good things on my hard drive with its crapulence.
That press release needs a disclaimer-
*Matt Norton has never played War Rock

15. No subject Apr 28, 2006, 17:13 Mystical PotatoHead Groove Thang

CRAP game, period. A poor excuse for a BF2 wannabe clone.

'extremely addictive'?
'smooth and intuitive controls'?
'has everything any adrenaline junkie will ever need'?

No, not at all. Not even close.

14. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2006, 15:40 Hump

They think they will hook people into the game with the free part. But they will not. Nobody wants to play or even try an online game for free when other people paying money will have a huge advantage.

The free game but pay for other stuff could work, but not like this…not giving distinct advantages too.

well said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Apr 28, 15:40.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: ... Apr 28, 2006, 15:10 nin

What is up with these foreign developers and their crappy games.

Silent Storm?
Space Rangers 2?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: ... Apr 28, 2006, 15:03 StringFellow

Putting aside the whole $ for weapon idea, have they improved the game at all? I tried it 3 or 4 months ago and it was laggy as hell and the lobby had already been hacked with automated chat lobby spam...among other things.

This is doomed to fail. As others have said, points on a server will be based on who spent the most money.

What is up with these foreign developers and their crappy games. Soldner, War Rock....games that might have had potential.

-S

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 15:05.

11. ... Apr 28, 2006, 14:36 theyarecomingforyou

I just realised I played this a while back... I never actually figured out how to change the resolution or graphics options, as they seemed to be incredibly well hidden. The game seemed alright but hardly cutting edge. *shrugs*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. ... Apr 28, 2006, 14:34 theyarecomingforyou

Despite being free if some people have an advantage it won't be very fun to play. However, if you paid for access to things like aircraft or tanks and restricted ground battles for regular users it could work... or you sold extras like night-vision goggles, etc. Selling weapons will just make the game unbalanced because if it doesn't what is the advantage to buying them?

I'll wait and see - after all, a free game is a free game.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: WTF? Apr 28, 2006, 14:21 Innocent

i will definitely try this. i usually pay 40-50 bucks for a game like bf2 (my current addiction) and play it for 6 to 12 months, i suspect a competitive firearm package will average out to about the same. i'm also so fucking cheap, i'm more than willing to get used to the shitty free weapons.
i am pleased as punch to see a new business model. i hope this game is good enough to attract enough people to really test this business model.

-Inno

8. No subject Apr 28, 2006, 14:20 strich

i think the weapons would have to have significant impact. for instance, i'm more of a sniper in games like this, so i'd be inclined to buy a sniper rifle and not pay for the others. but what happens in face to face combat when someone finds me perched up in a tower picking ppl off? i die. or i spend another two bucks and buy an uzi to take care of them next time they come and find me. problem with that scenario is, on sniper rich maps you ain't gonna have anything but snipers. like the AWP wars in CS.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

7. WTF? Apr 28, 2006, 14:09 vacs

This basically means the more you spend on this game, the better you will score. Skill is of no importance here, only money is.

I have an even better idea. Just give the complete game with all weapons and abilities for free but instead sell aimbots, wallhacks and speedhacks to the gamers. I bet this way you will get even more gamers to play and pay for your game.

I just wonder what the price structure will be? Maybe you'll get the pistol for 2$ but the machine gun costs you already 7$ and if you pay 10$ you'll get 10 ammo clips with 2 free of charge. Of course if you also buy the rocket launcher, night googles, armor, a box of grenades plus medikit and the heavy-armored tank you'll have to pay 700$ just for one game.

Don't you love all the possibilities and freedom this will give to you... and of course fill the pockets of the developers. This is even better than episodic games!

6. Re: Nothing new under the sun Apr 28, 2006, 12:38 Tumbler

I like the business model here, you get to demo the whole game and see what other players can have and see how the game really plays. And if you like it you can buy the items you want to mess around with. Price will be important, charging a couple bucks for each gun would be a little tough to swallow, charging a couple bucks for 50 assault rifles, or 50 sniper rifles would be much easier.

I thought this idea would work with many games, giving people a free version to see the game in action with weak weapons and if they choose to buy into the game then they get the aresonal others have.

The game plays and feels a lot like countersrike might feel with a battlefield mod. The mechanics are similar but the feel of the game is very arcadey. Not my taste so I'll pass, but considering how many ppl like CS this might turn into something.

If the spend some time improving textures and making the game look sharper (and they may already have) it might be fun.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 12:41.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Nothing new under the sun Apr 28, 2006, 12:20 cecilkorik

The twist here is that the game is free-to-play, with a business model that relies on purchases of additional abilities and weapons by those seeking an advantage.

Aha, I see. Back in the old days, we used to call this "Shareware".

4. No subject Apr 28, 2006, 12:06 blood_rose

I've played the open beta they have going. It's not bad, some might like it. It's like Battlefield 2. I expect that they'll sell different gun upgrade packs similar to the way BF does.

---
http://www.cynicsdaily.com - Another stupid blog complaining about everything.

3. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2006, 11:48 Enahs

They think they will hook people into the game with the free part. But they will not. Nobody wants to play or even try an online game for free when other people paying money will have a huge advantage.

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2006, 11:42 nin

Could be worse, they could have named it Rage Hard.

Still, I can't see buying weapons catching on with the majority...

Then again, someone, somewhere bought $1.99 horse armor, so...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com
This comment was edited on Apr 28, 11:43.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. No subject Apr 28, 2006, 11:35 strich

The twist here is that the game is free-to-play, with a business model that relies on purchases of additional abilities and weapons by those seeking an advantage.

uh, so you get the pistol for free, but have to pay for a rocket launcher? sorry, i'm a bit confused by this.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo