Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods Ships

EA and Lionhead Return to Eden With Black & White 2 Battle of the Gods Expansion Pack has word that Lionhead's god game sequel expansion is shipping, and will be available over the coming few days:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 25, 2006--The battle for Eden rages on! Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) and Lionhead Studios today announced that Black & WhiteŽ 2: Battle of the Gods has begun to ship to retail outlets and will be available April 28, 2006 via the EA(TM) downloader at www.downloader.ea.com.

The Battle of the Gods expansion pack for Black & WhiteŽ 2 offers players a host of new challenges in a darker, more sinister game world. In the expansion pack, players return to Eden where something strange has happened: The Aztecs have raised their own evil deity, which must be confronted head-on for control of the land. Players have the freedom to choose how they will rise to this new challenge -- by countering the evil deity's actions with good deeds or attempting to defeat him with extreme evil.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Publisher logic Apr 26, 2006, 05:56 Nachoman

I bought the original B&W, like many people I thought it was great for the first few days, after that I got tired of casting food and water miracles over and over and over, but I stuck at the game and completed it. I also ran through it again as a totally evil bastard, which I have to say was a damn site more fun. However, unlike classic games of the past, I finished the game out of duty rather than willing, and I never touched it since.

B&W2 then, I had no intention of buying it, then on my birthday it was bought for me. After the initial messing about with config files (because Lionhead set my radeon 9800 settings wrong) I was left with a playable game. I was utterly disappointed with the way the creature turned out, and mildly disappointed with the shallow RTS mechanics, I also hate the tribute feature. City building is quite pleasant, and the graphics are superb. I will still complete this game, but the expansion is coming to me second hand or from a bargain bin probably 6-9 months down the line.

Besides, with GW:factions coming out and DoW:dark crusade around the corner, why would I want to miss out on those to play this mediocre game?

I hope Peter Molyneux (say molly-new :)) can get back on track now he is free from EA's evil grasp. B&W has always been a game with shedloads of promise, but never fulfilling it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Publisher logic Apr 26, 2006, 05:45 Optimaximal

He's the perfect example of a guy who has fantastic ideas, and just CANNOT translate those ideas into a workable/fun game. Populous was the last thing he made that was any good.
So you're telling me you didn't like Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper or the first 2 Theme games?
I'll admit that he's fallen off his pedestal with all these massive high-concept games though.

16. Re: Publisher logic Apr 26, 2006, 00:36 Creston

And the fact that some reviewers (*cough* PC Gamer *cough*) gave it ridiculous reviews that it didn't deserve

Not just PCGamer, 98% of all game reviewers were totally jizzing over themselves, because B&W was utterly FANTASTIC in the first few days of playing. After you'd gone through for about a week or so, then you started to realise how shallow it really was.
The AI was amazing for its time though. B&W2 completely butchers the AI and the whole idea of the pet because of the sliders. You're not training/raising your creature anymore, now you just set the sliders to what you want them to be. And you can do this from the very first second you get your creature. Takes about a minute. Done. No more training required.
Ofcourse, the critter also can only get about five times its starting size. No more 200 feet critters, now they're JUST higher than a city wall.

It's fun to play for a few islands, since it offers a nice city building game, and it's pretty to watch, but then it gets totally fucking boring.

The sequel offers THREE whole new islands! Well Woo fucking Hoo Peter Molyfyuceayteytiheiyeryery.

He's the perfect example of a guy who has fantastic ideas, and just CANNOT translate those ideas into a workable/fun game. Populous was the last thing he made that was any good.

Creston

15. Re: Publisher logic Apr 26, 2006, 00:36 Creston

Sigh. Dbl post.
This comment was edited on Apr 26, 00:36.

14. Re: Publisher logic Apr 25, 2006, 23:03 S_DOG34

B&W sold a lot due to impressive screens, and rave previews that were backed by (and doubtless sourced from) excessive hype from the developers. As we know, the actual game was a disappointment (great technology but poor gameplay), but vast numbers of sales had been made by then.

And the fact that some reviewers (*cough* PC Gamer *cough*) gave it ridiculous reviews that it didn't deserve. You pretty much hit the nail on the head though. Many people (myself included) got burned on the first "game" (I don't even consider B&W a game, but that's a different discussion) and never even considered the sequel for purchase.

Quite frankly, I hope the sequel doesn't sell shit and ends the "series". That game single handedly ended my subscription to a magazine, the aforementioned PC Gamer, and is the most regretted videogame purchase of my entire life. I am guessing that others feel the same way.

13. No subject Apr 25, 2006, 21:28 nin

i AM the million dollar man ted dibiase
hogan, youve finally bit off more than you can chew hahahaha
well it looks like your little hulkamaniacs are gonna have to get their ice cream in the ghetto market without a freezer, because im spoiling your little PLOT. im buying lionhead, and EA hahahahaha
cause im the million dollar man
and EVERYONES got a price
hahahahahha

virgil take out the kids knees i'll get hogans hip

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
EVERYBODYS GOT A PRICE
EVERYBODYS GONNA PAY
CAUSE THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN
ALWAYS GETS HIS WAY
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

12. No subject Apr 25, 2006, 21:24 nin

hogan knows best
hogan knows this game is a fake brother
all the little hulkamaniacs, get together brother
get together and boycott this game brother
say your prayers
take your vitamans
cause this game is no good brother

ELECTRONIC ARTS... LIONHEAD... ARRRGGGHHH..... WHATCCHA GONNA DOOOOO , WHEN HULK HOGAN, WHEN ALL THE LITTLE HULKAMANIACS, WHEN THE LACK OF THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR, RUNS WILD ON YOUUUUUUUU

11. Re: B&W2 Apr 25, 2006, 17:43 Frijoles

I bought the first one, it was meh. I bought the second one, felt the same way. The AI isn't very good. I just closed my gates and let the enemy stand on the other side getting slaughtered by my archers. Although it was quite fun to drop rocks on the enemies. And when I threw fireballs, on the off chance I could hit a group of the enemy, that was also a lot of fun. My pet was more trouble than it was worth.

Overall, B&W2 was a let down (not too surprised). I doubt I'll buy another game from Lionhead until it's reviewed here on Blues.

10. Publisher logic Apr 25, 2006, 17:21 Shadowcat

This is entirely speculation...

B&W sold a lot due to impressive screens, and rave previews that were backed by (and doubtless sourced from) excessive hype from the developers. As we know, the actual game was a disappointment (great technology but poor gameplay), but vast numbers of sales had been made by then.

Now if B&W2 got the green light based entirely on sales of B&W, but a huge proportion of the people who bought the first game actually regretted it, then they really didn't have much of a market to develop for in the first place, despite their original sales figures. I pre-ordered B&W, and I didn't even give B&W2 a second glance.

If the publishers were looking only at the B&W sales (and frankly that seems quite likely), they probably thought a sequel was a no-brainer.

9. Re: B&W2 Apr 25, 2006, 16:50 The Truth

I loved the first one!

My room mate and I played through it at the same time, was great!

The real charm was the creature, how it appeared to have real personality and quirks etc.

I got the second one and gave it away after an island or two. It was absolutly butchered by EA. The sliders for your creature, basically means you can easily adjust him to do what you want, and as such you have no real feeling of interaction with the world. I could never get the spell casting system to work so instead just used the menu bar for everything.
They basically changed the game from this great im a god in a world, into im a guy with buttons and a simulated world with a big creature in it, here let me adjust this slider "Go fight something big creature", wheres my taco?

Seriously stay a long way away from this piece of crap.

I hate EA, everything they touch they butcher over and over again, they have produced nothing good, and i hate them.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

8. White and loving it Apr 25, 2006, 15:58 Kootur

White always wins over Black.

7. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 15:50 Elf Shot The Food

The expansion was probably in development for months before B&W2 was scheduled to ship to stores.

6. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 15:18 Optimaximal

...but did anyone actually play the second one? Enough to encourage an expansion?
Thats the bit thats confused me... Lionhead have had to axe a large wad of staff due to poor sales of B&W2 and The Movies, yet it obviously made enough money to warrant the add-on...

It's all about the fucking money as usual

5. B&W2 Apr 25, 2006, 14:52 thane_jaw

I played the original and found much of its charm to be due to the rather inaccurate creature training. The 2nd one has done away with many of the creatures, runs poorly (even after patching), gets rid of training - replaced by a bunch of sliders - and implemented poor RTS.

Apparently the rts has been fixed, but given how short B&W2 was (you get to go through the game again at the end. Its exactly the same, but apparently slightly harder) an expansion pack offering 1/3 of the size and little extra content doesn't interest me in the slightest.

4. No subject Apr 25, 2006, 14:28 strich

I played the original B&W and enjoyed it despite the bugginess and sloppiness of the gameplay, but did anyone actually play the second one? Enough to encourage an expansion?

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

3. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 14:18 Lorcin

yeah have to wonder when they'll start doing more updates to Fifa etc.

You know "Fifa 2007 after the Christmas Transfer Window" etc

Next we'll see "episodic" fps games or online games which you have to pay for monthly.

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

2. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 12:50 Jaenos

Lol, same here. It seems like these games are just outlets to churn out the expansion packs for your $30 every three months

1. No subject Apr 25, 2006, 12:46 Brian

EA + B&W = no trust or support from this consumer.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo