Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wizard's Tower for Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls Downloads now offers purchase and download of Wizard's Tower, the third such bit of additional content for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Here's word on the tower, which carries a $1.89 price tag: "Located high in the Jeral Mountains of Cyrodiil away from prying eyes, this add-on makes the Wizard's Tower, Frostcrag Spire, become available. Packed with numerous useful enhancements, this structure will prove invaluable to magic-oriented characters."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2006, 02:29 Creston

deparallaxer mod...removes certain effects on textures for a 5 fps hike; to me, I can'tt really see what's been changed, but I do see the 'free' 5 fps increase on my 9800pro.

I'll second that one, that mod is the fucking BOMB. You can't see the difference until you actually CLOSELY examine the textures, but it's a 10% performance increase.

Here are some other excellent mods :

- BTMod (Best UI Evar.)
- Dark UI mod (just turns the white background into a dark one, looks SO MUCH better.)
- Color Map. Just like it says. Works well with BTMod.
- Better Water 1.2. Just...wow. Think Farcry.
- AF Level Mod (better levelling system. Only downside is these guys keep changing shit, and keep breaking shit. I'm still waiting on a stable version, but they keep creating new bugs...)
- Sagerbliv's creature balances OR Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Massive changes to creature and loot lists. No more level 44 wolves. No more bandits in glass and daedric armor. No more 1 stunted scamp in Oblivion if you go in as level 1.
Biggest difference between the two is that Sagerbliv keeps his stuff modular (Oscuro tends to make a bunch of changes, not all of which you may like), and Sagerbliv's ups the spawn rate of critters by a lot. You'll run into 10 bandits, or 15 skellies or so. This makes for AMAZING combats, but it can be a killer drain on your system, so beware.
- No more annoying messages. God, says it all really, doesn't it? No more "Loading Area. Your horse is stabled outside... The hooker falls dead at your feet..." etc messages.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2006, 02:23 Creston

As an aside, the leveling system seems kinda whack. So far, I've completed the Arena, done a fair amount of Dark Brotherhood and Mage quests, a few side quests, and have barely touched the main quest, yet I'm already in the mid-20's, and getting very powerful. With a Ring of Shadows and chameleon, I can just wail on opponents indefinately, and spellcasters can't hit me either when wearing some rings and amulets I picked up. I'm afraid I'm going to hit some kinda level cap before I even really get into the main quest.

That's always been a big problem with the Elder Scrolls game, you level up far too easily and there is not enough high level content to keep you from becoming an ubergod rapidly.
In Morrowind, you were untouchable from level 12 or so, here it's about level 20. Once you start seeing ogres and minotaur lords, you've already reached everything the game will ever throw at you.

There are several "slow down levelling" mods which I can definitely recommend, although since you're already level 20, there's not really any point to using them anymore.

Btw, ring of shadows plus chameleon = cheese
There's tons of abilities that are way too powerful :

Chameleon > 100%, instant game break.
Damage reflect > 100%, instant game break.
Alchemy Master, instant game break. (Health and Mana potions that restore 30 points per second for 70 seconds, and that you can make out of a SINGLE ingredient?)

Again, that's all typical of the Elder Scrolls games though. Actually, I'm kinda disappointed in the enchanting system in Oblivion, since it's pretty crap.
I had like six layers of shit all enchanted out the wazzoo in Morrowind, it was immense fun. I really miss my Fly spell

Creston

47. ... Apr 26, 2006, 17:49 theyarecomingforyou

The graphics mod doesn't increase load times or decrease performance but it seems to look better... and my X800XL handles it fine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 26, 2006, 16:27 Ecthelion

And that there's what we call a lie. It said 'to be announced'. The price was NOT listed. That's the whole point.

Thanks for playing though.
Wow, nice comeback.
In any case, it wasn't a lie because I didn't intentionally mislead you. In fact, I looked for a "web archive" of the site before I made that post, but couldn't find one.

I know it said "TBA" at first. I thought that I had seen $1.99 somewhere (I had thought that the TBA was just for the date, and the price was listed, but I may be wrong), but even if not, that hardly justifies your $5 assertion. You have not backed that up with any evidence. If you're saying they were going to be more than $1.99 based solely on the fact that they didn't list the price right away, that's pretty silly. That's hardly solid evidence.

I would guess that they were didn't announce the price immediately because they wanted to see what the feedback would be on the horse armor, and then adjust the new mods accordingly. I have a feeling they were going to do them all at the same price originally. The only reason they didn't lower the horse armor after feedback, is that it would make the ones who already bought it feel ripped off (since they paid more).

I dont even bend over to pick up dimes anymore. I paid for this mod and am only pissed because its copy protection scheme will not allow it to install.
One thing I've noticed in all three installs (I guess that makes me a Bethesda fanboy. So be it) is that the first time I've tried it, usually by copy and pasting each segment of the key from the e-mail, it hangs. So I close the program and try again. As soon as I close the other things using the internet moderately to heavily (my work VPN, BitTorrent, etc.) and type the key in manually, it works fine. It's very strange, I know.

Sweet, more mods to download! I might try out the texture packs again. I did see a noticeable difference in those example screenshots that I'm sure I didn't get on my machine. Maybe I didn't install them right. I'll try that other mod too as even my X800XL dips the frame rate to single digits in crowded areas like busy taverns. Did you notice a significant increase in load times with the Jarrod Texture mod or did it not affect it much for you?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!
I haven't noticed increased loading times with that mod, but I don't really pay attention that much, as I usually pass the time doing something else. I would recommend the mod though. In my opinion, many things are noticably prettier, a few are actually a little worse, but overall it's definitely an improvement.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 17:12.

45. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2006, 09:57 Parallax Abstraction

Sweet, more mods to download! I might try out the texture packs again. I did see a noticeable difference in those example screenshots that I'm sure I didn't get on my machine. Maybe I didn't install them right. I'll try that other mod too as even my X800XL dips the frame rate to single digits in crowded areas like busy taverns. Did you notice a significant increase in load times with the Jarrod Texture mod or did it not affect it much for you?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

44. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2006, 08:30 MacD

I'll add a couple more;

-beautifull stars and the better nightsky mods to make the night much nicer
-colour map mod (in combination with BTmod we get a beautifull map :))
-jarrod oblivion new texture mod....much crisper textures
-deparallaxer mod...removes certain effects on textures for a 5 fps hike; to me, I can'tt really see what's been changed, but I do see the 'free' 5 fps increase on my 9800pro.
-new nighteye shaders...get the cool grey one...awesome!
-combat behaviour mod; enemies fight much better/more intelligently! makes the game a bit harder, but not in the trivial 'they just have more hp' way
-PlasticFoamMan's equipment rarity mod....best of the 'bandits no longer get deadric/glass items' mods

43. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 20:22 CR0C0

"No, if you hadn't whined, we'd be paying $1.99 instead of $1.89. They originally intended on charging 2 bucks, which they did for the 1st mod, but they lowered it for the 2nd mod." I dont even bend over to pick up dimes anymore. I paid for this mod and am only pissed because its copy protection scheme will not allow it to install.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 20:22.

42. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 19:12 Parallax Abstraction

No kidding! That double-overtime win last night was one of the most tense games I've ever watched. My girlfriend's a Habs fan and I'm a Sens fan. We cheer for each other's teams, but I don't know what's going to happen in our house if they end up playing each other for a round. I wasn't too impressed with Ottawa's run last game, but hopefully they'll bring it back tonight.

Thanks for the link!

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

41. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 19:10 Yosemite Sam

Here ya go ... http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2508

Sens going to kick some ass tonight, canucks didnt make it Lucky I am a habs fan too, kicking carolina butt!!

EDIT just founds this WIP oblivion texture MOD, going to look great when its done.
http://canadianice.ufrealms.net/forum2/index.php?PHPSESSID=cabbad9f1ef9ddeca94f5da103ceb80a&topic=2731.0

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
This comment was edited on Apr 25, 19:12.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

40. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

EDIT Forgot one, rain MOD, this one you can hear the rain when you go inside of buildings.

Do you have the name of that mod? I've been looking around and all I can find is the "Get Wet" mod.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

39. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 18:13 aldo_14

I can't believe people won't bitch about paying a monthly MMO fee, yet balk at a sub-$2.00 OPTIONAL add-on. Hell, i'd pay $5 for them to NEVER incorporate or even THINK about Multiplayer of ANY KIND just so i never have to intereact with the bitchy whiners. (which is the core reason i like the game...all the depth and breadth of an MMO and none of the retards. )

To be fair, a monthly MMO fee tends to convey rather a lot of stuff in terms of having a heavily populated persistent, usually moderated, and in most cases frequently updated world. Y'know, like Eve has had something like 2 or 3 rather large addon packs on top of the 'regular' stuff. In any case, when you buy an MMO you know (with exceptions) that it's subscription. It's not like buying a standalone game and then being told 'hey, for £XX you can have these 2 things we could have done for the main game but didn't bother our arse to do so'. At least with something like an expansion pack it's usually a hefty chunk of content; with these things it's more and more like selling mini-mods, the sort of things we do see individual people make and distribute on a free and voluntary basis. It just feels quite lazy, moreso when stuff like this used to be given for free.

NB: I think Wowbaggers mission is to insult every person here. If it isn't, it bloody well should be!

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

38. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 17:42 Yosemite Sam

Did you actually see a noticeable difference with the texture and normal map replacements though?

These two sceenshots really show what a difference it makes.

http://www.tessource.net/files/image.php?id=265
http://www.tessource.net/files/image.php?id=266

Load them both up and compare side by side, the major difference is how the land looks far away. So in most cases you cannot see a difference, but if you are on a hill overlooking a huge area then it looks much better.

EDIT I have the same video card
EDIT Forgot one, rain MOD, this one you can hear the rain when you go inside of buildings.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 18:00.

37. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 17:18 Parallax Abstraction

Thanks for that list of mods you use. I use some of them, but I didn't know about Natural Wildlife and Saddlebags. Those'll be awesome. Did you actually see a noticeable difference with the texture and normal map replacements though? I installed them on my 2800+ with an X800XL and all they seemed to do was increase load times without making any visual difference that I could see. Do they need certain video cards to see their real benefit?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

36. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 16:29 MacD

And that there's what we call a lie. It said 'to be announced'. The price was NOT listed. That's the whole point.

35. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 16:29 MacD

And that there's what we call a lie. It said 'to be announced'. The price was NOT listed. That's the whole pint.

34. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 16:05 Yosemite Sam

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO BUY THIS, ASSHOLES

True but I am finding that as far as horse armour goes it's almost like they built in the need for it to make it more likely you would purchase it. The Ai in the game sure has a habit of going straight for my horse, and after losing a couple $5000 steeds I am thinking it would be nice to be able to protect them.

Forget the official add-on shit, you want needed features to the game, go to the MOD forums. Community is cranking out real good stuff and it costs nothing. I am running oblivion with ...
Deadlier traps, those traps inside dungeons are now lethal.
Natural wildlife, animals act like animals and will most likely run away if they see you, but if you corner them they will attack.
Callsteed, ability to have your horse follow you and come to you on command.
Saddlebags, Nice to load up at that dungeon you just mopped up.
Survival suite, adds portable sleeping bag and water skins. Makes sleeping, drinking and eating a requirment of the game.
Life, MOD adds 96 new NPC's to the game.
Cats, adds cats to the towns in the game.
Harvest, when you pick a plant this visually shows the plant as being harvested.
BTmod, changes all the ingame gui, becuase us PC users do not need massive font to play.
Landscape LOD Normalmapfix and Landscape LOD texture replacement, just makes the game visually way better then vanilla and doesnt affect performance.
More Arena spectators, fills that stadium up, now you can see the hoard you could hear.

Two more I am really keeping an eye on, rebuild kvatch
http://kvatch.net/forum/index.php
and the windowlights mod
http://www.freewebs.com/xura/winscreens1.htm

Bethesda can keep their pay-for crap, and they are greedy, with the record breaking sales of this game there is no excuse for this nickle and dime shit.

33. Re: Morrowind Mods vs. Oblivion Mods Apr 25, 2006, 15:37 Dr_Dissent

I don't like living in "Bush's America"--nor do I. I live in Amercans' America. We (the collective We) voted for Bush and his administration--twice! As much as I hate the current administration, it's completely irrelevant.

Bethesda runs a for-profit business. They sell a product. You purchased that product. You don't want an additional product? Don't buy it.

32. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 15:08 Bodolza

Have people already gotten to the point where they need extra content? I've been playing a fair bit, and there a ridiculous number of dungeons I haven't even looked at.

Extra "stuff" doesn't appeal to me all that much either. As it is, I'm having to sell off most of the unique weapons I pick up, since it's not worth the weight to carry them around. With the spell and enchanting altars, I can make just about everything I've picked up on my own, anyways.

Are these add-ons adding completely new spell or armor types? I can see it being worth at least something in that case.

As an aside, the leveling system seems kinda whack. So far, I've completed the Arena, done a fair amount of Dark Brotherhood and Mage quests, a few side quests, and have barely touched the main quest, yet I'm already in the mid-20's, and getting very powerful. With a Ring of Shadows and chameleon, I can just wail on opponents indefinately, and spellcasters can't hit me either when wearing some rings and amulets I picked up. I'm afraid I'm going to hit some kinda level cap before I even really get into the main quest.

-B

31. Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 2006, 14:39 Ecthelion

Re: WAHHHHHHH Apr 25, 13:23 MacD

Methinks you didn't read the interview with Bethesda immediately after the horse-armour thing, or saw the download site before prices for the last two DLC packs were announced. The latter two mods were not intended to be sold at a 1.99 pricepoint.
Actually, I did, on both counts. I remember they were all listed at 1.99 but shortly after the horse-armor was released, they were changed to 1.89. Maybe that was a mistake on their part (listing them all at 1.99), but it was there. I think it was a couple of days before the price was updated. And as far as the interview is concerned, I recall him (I forget if it was Todd or Pete) saying that they had to tweak the price point a bit to get it where they wanted it. The fact that they sold them 10 cents cheaper than the horse armor mod suggests that they were originally intended on selling at 1.99, or that they had the right price all along. If they were planning on selling them for more than 1.99, then why did they lower it to less than the price of the original mod? They obviously felt they could offer it for a little less, so they dropped the price. Nothing suggests they were originally planning on selling above 1.99, but complaining from fans made them go below 1.99.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 14:58.

30. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2006, 14:24 Parallax Abstraction

Something about toast would be cool too.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo