Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have dinner plans this evening, so I think Into the Black tonight will be posted beforehand, rather than afterward. I guess this will make it more of an Into the Dark Blue, but maybe this can get me on track to post those updates a little earlier going forward as well, as them going up at midnight is later than I'd prefer.

Well-timed Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Third-grader takes teacher's van for joyride.
Central America eyes sweet alternative to oil.
Fake Breast Doc Busted. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Science!: The Jasons Exposes Secret Science. Rhymes with "Masons."
Scottish "wind rush" whips up enthusiasm and anger. Glasgow razed castles to build factories back when.
Fossil Suggests Snakes Evolved on Land. Fossil also recommends the lamb chops.
Image: Modern PC built into a Commodore PET-CBM.
Follow-up: Tenth planet is white like fresh snow. With a lemony fresh smell.
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Tenth planet Apr 21, 2006, 08:48 Zathrus

And you must have way way way way WAY too much free time on your hands to know all this shit

A) Wikipedia is your friend!
B) I can remember a rather stunning amount of utterly useless crap like this.
C) Yes.

I haven't been able to focus on work much recently, which isn't a good thing... bleh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: PopUps Apr 21, 2006, 04:17 Elvis

Are you using Firefox? If so, try the NoScript extension.

thanks - i'll give it a whirl.

22. Re: Tenth planet Apr 21, 2006, 00:37 banddirector

That was so fucking lame I actually can't stop laughing

YES!! That's the whole point!!!!

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

21. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 23:34 Creston

How is the Star Ship Enterprise like toilet paper?

It hangs around Uranus and wipes out Klingons.

Hahahahahhahaha my ribs ...........

That was so fucking lame I actually can't stop laughing

Creston

20. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 23:33 Creston

There, now you have far too much information

And you must have way way way way WAY too much free time on your hands to know all this shit

The planet Xena...

Creston

19. Re: Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 19:36 nin

yea, you just have to dick with Opera. I'll pass

18. Re: Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 18:48 Bucky

That was the last day that an alternating logo was posted, did we ever find out what happened to the logos? or has Blue remained silent on the subject?

UGO.

I believe Blue said something about it, though I don't remember what it was anymore...

Heck, I just run Opera. I see the banners and that's it (and only because I leave them alone on purpose). No pop-ups. No flash. And all without having to dick with a single extension.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
GW: Alia Arjel[BC] Mo/Me

17. Re: Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 18:39 nin

at work i use this website as a test page to test our popup blocker

16. Re: Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 18:31 K.rist

Yeah I gotta agree with fred, what the K.rist is up with the sudden amount of popups? I remeber you used to be able to nip them in the bud before they got to much.

15. Re: Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 17:42 nin

this site is in severe decline, its no surprise the logos are gone, only to be replaced with more ads

14. Sep 15th 2003 Apr 20, 2006, 17:35 The Truth

That was the last day that an alternating logo was posted, did we ever find out what happened to the logos? or has Blue remained silent on the subject?

Its a shame as they were one of the great added features that I love/loved about the site...

------
$1 tax for the national debt?

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

13. Difficult names Apr 20, 2006, 17:24 Killer Kane

There's a guy in Alabama named "Jonely Bonely Stewart"...when his Mother tried to explain to the nurse that she wanted his name on the birth certificate to be "J B Stewart" the nurse didnt understand...so his Mother said it slowly, "his name is J ONLY-B ONLY Stewart..so for the rest of his life he was stuck with "Jonly Bonly" Stewart!

"There is a theory that if anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. I have a theory which states that this has already happened"

12. the ads are out of control Apr 20, 2006, 17:15 nin

Blue, onClick popup ads are just too much. Enough is enough. Who is with me?

11. Boring OotB today Apr 20, 2006, 16:10 Ratty

But I still love the editorial comments! "With a lemony fresh smell" gave me a laugh. The one about the lamb chops too. That's why I read most of my news here. Even slow news days are good for something.

10. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 15:52 banddirector

I guess one thing the world can agree on is that Uranus is the one planet we can all have fun with.

Classic Star Trek geek joke of the week:

How is the Star Ship Enterprise like toilet paper?

It hangs around Uranus and wipes out Klingons.

Hahahahahhahaha my ribs ...........

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

9. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 15:26 Enahs

And yet I have numerous coworkers from China and India who don't use their given name here. Because it's too damn difficult for Westerners to pronounce.

Yes, I knew somebody would make that argument.

That is different though because it is just to make life easier for them selves.
They still use their 20 letter names with no vowels for legal purposes or legally have that other added for ease of life.

Which is why I went the way I did, since many Asians for their western name is John!

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 15:11 Zathrus

It is like having the name John but being in Asia and deciding your name should be Kung-Pow, why?

And yet I have numerous coworkers from China and India who don't use their given name here. Because it's too damn difficult for Westerners to pronounce.

Remember that Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are easily visible with the naked eye and are clearly not stars. So many cultures did name them. But the Western names are used exclusively for scientific papers, etc. since they're the internationally accepted ones.

Ok, here's even more info for anyone who really cares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_naming_conventions

7. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 15:02 Zathrus

It's called Xena the warrior princess planet? Goddamned astronomy geeks!

You haven't heard about this yet? It also has a moon named Gabrielle.

It's not officially a planet yet though. Right now its official name is 2003 UB313 (technically, the 313 is subscript).

Curiously enough, what do other cultures call the planets in our solar system, or is there some sort of international standards council that agrees on the names?

Well there's always the "traditional" names for any culture that discovered them, but the internationally established names are Mercury, Venus, etc. (or equivalent translation). The international body that decides these things is the IAU -- Internation Astronomy Union.

The current debate is actually "what is a planet?" and basically hinges on whether or not Pluto should actually be one. If it is then we probably have a lot more than just 9 or 10 planets in the solar system. If it's not then Pluto and Xena are both just Kuipler belt objects and we have 8 planets (and are unlikely to have more than 8). Of course, the IAU may try to do some odd definition that would keep Pluto as a planet but exclude Xena, but it'd be rather surprising.

Oh, and if Pluto is demoted then it won't be the first time. The asteroid Ceres was initially touted as a planet in 1801, but when other asteroids were discovered it was no longer considered one (Ceres is much smaller than Pluto, but Pluto is also far smaller than our Moon for that matter).

There, now you have far too much information.

6. Re: Tenth planet Apr 20, 2006, 14:45 Enahs

Xena is not the official name yet, it was just a nick name by the nerds who discovered it.
There is also another body recently found with Xena that is smaller then Pluto and they nick named is Gabriella.

Curiously enough, what do other cultures call the planets in our solar system

I think they are the same pretty much all over. After all, these are not common things, so whatever name was originally used I am sure just transferred over most likely.

It is like having the name John but being in Asia and deciding your name should be Kung-Pow, why?

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. Re: PopUps Apr 20, 2006, 14:38 John

are out of control! Three @ once in my first visit to Blue's today

Are you using Firefox? If so, try the NoScript extension.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N One of these day's I'm going to start a new character...

This space is available for rent

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo