Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Televised Pro Gaming

Professional Video Gaming Set for TV Debut has word that the USA Network is set to air several one hour television shows focused on online gaming. If their comparison to NASCAR and poker is accurate, then this is the start of the next big thing:

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Professional video gaming is set to debut on cable television later this year, potentially paving the way for the kings and queens of game controllers to become as familiar to American households as the faces of Johnny Chan or Annie Duke in televised poker.

Major League Gaming, the world's largest organized video gaming league, on Monday will announce a programming deal in which USA Network will air seven one-hour episodes in the fall, featuring the pro circuit and its players.

Though video gaming fans have been able to follow competitions on game Web sites for years already, MLG's television deal marks the first time regular TV viewers would be able track the ups and downs of a pro tournament, watching video gaming as a new kind of extreme sport.

"This is the sign that pro gaming has finally arrived to the mass market," said Matthew Bromberg, MLG's president and chief operating officer. "It's like poker was two years ago, or NASCAR 15 years ago."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: this is going to bomb Apr 20, 2006, 00:07 Masa

Cause competative PC gaming is FAR more fun to watch because it takes real skill to be great at a PC fps game then it does a football or skateboard game on a console.

Oh, well, I'd argue it's all boring to watch anyway, but if you're going to compare two completely and utterly separate genres to watch, then you may as well include an argument about consoles being used purely for gaming in this sense. Televised pro gaming to me screams to be a high end video card manufacturer's advertisement paradise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. familiar Apr 19, 2006, 04:09 [NM]AdamW

"potentially paving the way for the kings and queens of game controllers to become as familiar to American households as the faces of Johnny Chan or Annie Duke in televised poker."

So, not very familiar, then? Show of hands who knows what Annie Duke looks like...

41. Re: PVG!!! Apr 18, 2006, 12:31 MindTrigger

I thought watching poker on TV would suck, but occasionally I do get sucked in. Hell at least in gaming, we will know what's going on.

I also used to love watching game demos of Thresh owning people back in the day. It can be very educational, and maybe some of the fodder out there will learn a thing or two and play better.

-----
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
Guild Wars Player Name: "Oceas Saeco"
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold." -Bob Marley

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

40. Re: No way in hell... Apr 18, 2006, 00:21 Apathy Curve

When I find myself in complete agreement with Halsy, I begin cringing in anctipation of four undead guys mounted on black horses showing up in my front yard. That circumstance has been occuring more frequently of late, as well. Must be a "yin-yang" thing.

Or maybe it's the moldy cheese and heffewiezen I've been consuming for the last two hours. Whichever. =oP

39. Re: Ah, the good ol' days... Apr 17, 2006, 23:44 mag

http://www.jmpc.com/Starcade/starframe.htm

Those that don't remember 80s television are doomed to repeat it.

38. ........ Apr 17, 2006, 23:10 WarPig

And staying true to all previous Gaming TV attempts, they will pick the most nerdy dorks as the Announcers and Commentators. Have you see the videos at Gamespot, it's like we're being made fun of.

37. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 21:58 nin

FAME

im gonna live foreva
im gonna learn how to fly
fame
im gonna make it happen
they will remember my name
remember
remember
remember
remember

FAME

36. No subject Apr 17, 2006, 21:56 JAGUART

Make fun all you want...

I'm gonna be a star, I'm gonna be somebody. And dis is my big chance.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

35. Re: No way in hell... Apr 17, 2006, 21:11 The Half Elf

I've seen a few paintball games on TV, and all I can say is bleh. A whole bunch of guys firing around blow up airbags doesn't excite me at all. Now the last time I played was at Dark Armies in Indianapolis. Here's a link to the discription of that indoor arena. http://www.darkarmies.com/page0006.htm Imagine playing paintball in what looks to be a scene from Escape from New York. Now imagine playing with your sisters Army Reserve Crew. I still have welts from them. But these little outdoor arenas with 5 or 6 points of cover SUCKS. Give me Rainbow Six 3 (PC) with paintball guns, and I'll watch it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34. Re: No way in hell... Apr 17, 2006, 20:58 Old Number 7

I watched paintball on tv last night and it was kind of low budget but funky, I imagine video games would be simular but more borring.

33. No subject Apr 17, 2006, 20:53 nin

ps nick hogan is so hawt omg that curvy lil guy i just wanna gobble him up

32. No subject Apr 17, 2006, 20:52 nin

hogan knows best

31. Ah, the good ol' days... Apr 17, 2006, 20:12 jam777

http://www.jmpc.com/Starcade/starframe.htm

30. Re: this is going to bomb Apr 17, 2006, 19:55 Fion

It appears to mostly be destined to be console games unfortunately. Cause competative PC gaming is FAR more fun to watch because it takes real skill to be great at a PC fps game then it does a football or skateboard game on a console.

29. Re: this is going to bomb Apr 17, 2006, 19:33 wMute

I wouldn't watch this either.

But, people watch sports, poker, and a whole variety of things. If it's well presented, then it'll gather SOME ratings from the much-coverted 18-26 male age group. Again, it's dependent on whether or not the show is well-produced.

But because you might not watch it doesn't mean there isn't anyone else who would.

28. this is going to bomb Apr 17, 2006, 19:23 dubfanatic

Why would anyone watch people play games when they can just play the games themselves? Besides, most games have some spectating ability now, making televised games pointless. Why watch on TV with lame announcers and commercials when you can just hop on a server as a spectator? Not only that, but there's plenty of recorded games floating around the Internet. Most video games are boring to watch anyway.

This is the sort of thing that I would have thought was cool back in middle school, and I predict that the only people who will watch this will be middle schoolers.

27. Re: PC games Apr 17, 2006, 19:09 Grounded

Its about fucking time! G4 TV sucks ass

I just hope this doesnt use STARFORCE!

26. PC games Apr 17, 2006, 18:31 mOOzilla

are 0.000000000% of the gaming market, just walk into any game store and look at the size of the shelf compared to consoles and its getting SMALLER.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 18:31.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

25. Re: No way in hell... Apr 17, 2006, 18:25 wMute

With this being a TV series with the goal of gaining as many viewers as possible, then the only viable target market are the console gamers. It would be the smart thing to do.

PC Gamers represent a very small population in comparison to the console market, mainly due to the stiff hardware requirements and heavy demands to upgrade on a yearly/bi-yearly schedule. It doesn't help that that a lot of PC games serve as nothing more than a demo to sell video cards, but that's a whole other debate.

As great it would be to show some 64-player BF2 battles on TV, and even though Multiplayer-gaming is generally better on PCs (excluding Sports and racing games), PC games just won't get the same kind of ratings.

Hard to imagine people watching shows about gaming, but then again, people in korea watch Starcraft matches. And here in America, we do have a fascination in watching Poker (as proven by the number of poker shows and the ratings the generate).

24. Re: No way in hell... Apr 17, 2006, 17:47 Zephalephelah

The problem here is that they will all be fighting on console-platform.

The general public has no idea that a PC is superior. Plus, it just makes more sense for Microsoft to spend $40 million to advertise X-Box than ATI/NVIDIA.

So basically, even if it is sort of interesting, I won't be watching.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo