Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Another World Remake

The Another World Website offers downloads of an updated edition of Another World, including a trial version. The game has been translated into English, but not all of the website has been run through the old Babel Fish yet, so I'm just going to post the English explanation of all this sent along by Phil:

Eric Chahi's classic "Another World" (a.k.a "Out of This World"), released by Delphine back in 1991 has been enhanced and re-released for modern Windows PCs in shareware form!

The "Collector's Edition" of Another World includes all-new support for high-resolution high-colour graphics, and features enhanced background artwork to match. These new features are optional -- for the full nostalgia trip, the game can also look exactly like it did back in the day if you so wish.

For a 25MB download you can access the first (and unfortunately *very* short) section of the game as a demo, and then purchase a key online to unlock the full content for only 7 euros (not trying to sound like an advertisement here, but that's a good price).

The bulk of the web site has not yet been translated to English, so you could conceivably want to wait for that to happen before posting the news, but the game is available right now, and does include localisation for a whole host of languages, so if you just want to play there's no need to wait. I say post the news now, and then post it again once the web site is translated :)

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Another World Remake Apr 18, 2006, 01:54 sponge

No no, it's still up, however you have to either access it by IP and deal with everything being broken or just use some hosts tweaks found from Wikipedia.

On the upside, I got 800kb/s from that site. Fastest I've EVER gotten from HOTU.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Another World Remake Apr 18, 2006, 00:55 Creston

You haven't checked recently You need to do some HOSTS hacking since the domain expired-- again.

Sigh, I always felt bad for the guys. They just never got any kind of income going. Otoh, it could be argued that since they were giving away another man's product, often against that other man's wishes, for them to make money off it would have been truly bad form.

It was a nice idea while it lasted.

Creston

41. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 23:13 sponge

Besides, not to be a dick here to whomever it is that went through the trouble of re-releasing this, but both Out Of This World and Flashback are available for download on the underdogs. (Or at least they were last time I checked).

You haven't checked recently You need to do some HOSTS hacking since the domain expired-- again. Check Wikipedia, amazingly, for all the dirty details.

40. Re: Huge slowdowns? Apr 17, 2006, 23:11 sponge

What kind of video hardware do you have? The game may be mis-detecting your capabilities. You could have a look through AnotherWorld.ini and try manually editing some of the settings. The items under 3dEngine may be particularly relevant if you do not have hardware-accelerated 3D in your machine.

Tried it on my laptop, a 9200 Mobility. Like I mentioned, the menu spinners were smooth, but the mouse movement/game was choppy. Don't make much sense to me. Tried every combo of settings to no avail. Going to give it a shot on my desktop PC now that I'm at home-- I loved this game back in the day.

39. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 23:05 Creston

You are the bargain bin of bluesnews and I'm the fucking new release wall

Not wanting to get involved in your (newly-weds?) lovers quarrel, but that is seriously hilarious.

Creston

Edit : DAMMIT!! I HEET SPELING!

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 23:05.

38. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 23:01 Creston

Believe me, I'd rather spend 7 euros on this than 20 euros on HL2 episode one. I'm really serious here.

Oh, that's definitely true. In fact, I've been thinking about just picking this up, but in the end I'll play through it once and that'll be it.

Besides, not to be a dick here to whomever it is that went through the trouble of re-releasing this, but both Out Of This World and Flashback are available for download on the underdogs. (Or at least they were last time I checked).

Creston

37. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 22:58 Creston

Zapping Creston, frying him down to bones!

Ray, you play Puzzle Pirates. Your verdict on games is BRUTALLY suspect

I liked Out of this World and Flashback. I even liked Fade to Black. I'm just thinking that an evil Dragon's Lair clone really isn't going to appeal to many people in 2006, apart from those huge nostalgia nuts.

Ray Marden, Front and Center!

Creston

36. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 22:05 Ray Marden

It is definitely an acquired taste but is a wonderful, fantastic gaming experience. It opened up the closed, 2D worlds of the previous games while maintaining the exotic world and character.

I loved all the games, but FTB was truly something unique.
I love that game.
Wanting them all!,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

35. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 10:47 random.thought

Are you new here? This is bluesnews, don't forget.

Oh -- I get it. You tried really, really hard to dig up a relevant semi-old quote of mine that you could, in your shockingly weak understanding of bluesnews society, use against me. That quote's not that old though, and it's not really relevant, so don't expect me to be impressed with your sleuthing ability. Oh, and that's besides the fact that I don't really give a shit, you mouthbreathing anal crust.

See, the difference between me and people like you is that you sackswingers vomit all over other people just for the mere act of vomiting. Turning out a good flame should be considered a work of art, painted gracefully with careful words, and, for the truly gifted, include at least 1 or 2 invented insults. Oh -- and always, always know your target. Let me put it this way -- if the only person impressed with what you wrote is you, you've failed. And like always, vacs, you keep failing, over and over and over, until there really is no better word to describe you than failure.

FAILURE. You are the bargain bin of bluesnews and I'm the fucking new release wall. My role here is to expose trash like yourself so that the other blues readers don't have to wonder, "IS HE REALLY SERIOUS?" "SHOULD I CARE ABOUT WHAT HE HAS TO SAY?" So, before we go on folks, the answer is no:

Thou needest not give a shit, for thy fellow poster vacs doth be a fucksmear.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 10:50.

34. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 10:34 Optimaximal

Ok, maybe the speed run is a bad comparison, but it does illustrate the shear minimal amount of actual content in the game.
The guy doesn't skip any cutscenes and whilst he admittedly doesn't die, it shows that the majority of the game relies on trial and error in order to prolong its length rather than actual gameplay.

I just personally feel that whilst its good to see a game this archaic being updated for modern consumption and a glimpse into gaming past, its just not worth 7! If anything, it should have been released as freeware.

33. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 09:15 Shadowcat

The Speed Demo linked here pretty much proves that, since he does in effect cover over 90% of the game without using any hacks or exploits. 7 = 17 minutes of game = 40 cents a minute.
It's a puzzle game!!! That's like reading a walkthrough to The Secret of Monkey Island, and then complaining that you could complete the game too quickly/easily.

Your first time through Another World should take you a good few hours.

Don't watch a speed-run for this game, people. You'll just spoil it.

That depends on your definition of joy. If getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over and over while being subjected to a ridiculous plot is your definition of joy, then HoD is an absolute joy to play.

Another World is tolerable, because it's old - but let's leave HoD in the crapper where it belongs.
Oh my god. I feel deep deep pity for your inability to appreciate such a wonderful game as Heart of Darkness. That's absolutely tragic.

32. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 08:47 Zawath

All games can be completed in a short time if you just run through them. I bet the speed demo guy practised playing the game many hours before releasing his video.

31. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 08:03 Optimaximal

Sure, seven Euros is peanut money, but in all honesty, you don't really get a lot of game for it...
That's what I thought...
The Speed Demo linked here pretty much proves that, since he does in effect cover over 90% of the game without using any hacks or exploits. 7 = 17 minutes of game = 40 cents a minute.

You can get more value from a bloody bar of chocolate!

Innovation and creativity withstanding, the game is a definite relic and shouldn't be worth this much. Beyond Good and Evil features 1700% more content yet retails for the same price - something wrong here...
This comment was edited on Apr 17, 08:05.

30. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 06:41 Devster

Yeah, and you started the mud spattering by randomly calling a semi-respected five year member (with over 4k posts) a kiddie.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

29. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 06:33 War

>I am (honestly) surprised to see some praise in this topic for Fade to Black. I only remember it as a huge disappointement after the fantastic Another World and Flashback games. Maybe I should try to run it again in a DOS emulator someday...

It's a different genre of a game, but I consider it the true precursor to Tomb Raider and therefore to 90% of today's third person action videogames.

28. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 06:31 War

>and an absolute joy to play.

That depends on your definition of joy. If getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over and over while being subjected to a ridiculous plot is your definition of joy, then HoD is an absolute joy to play.

Another World is tolerable, because it's old - but let's leave HoD in the crapper where it belongs.

27. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 05:27 vacs

Good lord are you ever an elitist fuck. Next time, before you descend on someone with a rabid, frothing excuse for a response like that, you should ask them instead. But wait, that would involve you actually being a normal, functional member of society instead of unleashing your egomaniacal vacuum of a personality upon the rest of the unsuspecting world. Do you ever tire of being a monstrous dick?

26. Re: Huge slowdowns? Apr 17, 2006, 04:17 Shadowcat

Have you tried running it windowed?

What kind of video hardware do you have? The game may be mis-detecting your capabilities. You could have a look through AnotherWorld.ini and try manually editing some of the settings. The items under 3dEngine may be particularly relevant if you do not have hardware-accelerated 3D in your machine.

25. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 02:59 Cochonou

I am (honestly) surprised to see some praise in this topic for Fade to Black. I only remember it as a huge disappointement after the fantastic Another World and Flashback games. Maybe I should try to run it again in a DOS emulator someday...

24. Re: Another World Remake Apr 17, 2006, 00:55 Tom

Wowsers, on the French (complete) version of the site, check out the box art for "Profanation". Sure, games may have gotten more violent over the years, but you'd never see a box like that on the shelf in Best Buy.

Ya, I saw that too. Hilarious! And a bit disturbing. Did you read Eric's comment about it? Pretty funny.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo