Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 17, 2006, 13:30 Undead Scottsman

At what point in single player HL2 could you hit anybody with a toilet or use a desk as a barricade? Seriously, I saw the videos but don't remember an opportunity to do it. Tell me the episode name so I can go replay it.

Plenty of Combine soldiers and toilets to hit them with in Nova Prospekt.

Desks don't make good shields though, as they tent to break. Something metal like a barral or one of those push carts by the trainyard after Ravenholm works pretty good though. Didn't have to worry about the snipers at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 17, 2006, 07:31 Pandy

Yes the grav gun was great. But if I remember correctly Far Cry had some fun physics too: pushing barrels onto guards, making boats out of pontoons, and general Fun With Dead Bodies (TM) - ranging from kicking them off ledges and down stairs to watching them bob up and down in the water, leaking out their guts

The slick way you could switch from first to third person perspective for the vehicles worked so well in FarCry - and the rush you got first time in the hang-glider, and the variety of vehicles. Sorry - they had HL2 beat in that department.

Granted, FarCry had some rubbish levels and didn't have the consistant story or dramatic sweep of HL2. But it did have those huge open-ended levels and great sense of freedom and exploration missing from HL2.

I'd say they were both great games - but I still say FarCry stole alot of HL2's thunder by being first.

14. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 17, 2006, 05:57 Awesome Spume

At what point in single player HL2 could you hit anybody with a toilet or use a desk as a barricade? Seriously, I saw the videos but don't remember an opportunity to do it. Tell me the episode name so I can go replay it.

Oh and Far Cry (which I was never good enough to finish) pwns HL2.

--------------------------------------------------
It's like when the baby cries all night and then finally falls asleep for an hour at 3am -- the people who manage to avoid talking about Starforce for one fucking thread are that precious hour.

13. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 01:50 Dice

Rife with errors, maybe?

*chuckle*
This comment was edited on Apr 17, 01:52.

12. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 17, 2006, 01:08 Camaro76

Vehicles and physics were done by FarCry 9 months earlier (and done substantially better).

Did you miss the part in Half-Life 2 where you could hit people in the head with a toilet? Or a filing cabinet? Or a chunk of concrete? Or a toilet? You could use a radiator as a shield. You could use a desk as a barricade. The grav gun made the game what it was IMO.

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

11. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2006, 00:14 Elf Shot The Food

Shadow Warrior had driveable vehicles in 1997.

10. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2006, 22:34 The Oracle

I chortle at the irony.

9. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 16, 2006, 20:17 NiteX

"HL2 was great - but by the time it came out it had no new features: Vehicles and physics were done by FarCry 9 months earlier (and done substantially better). "

I disagree with you on this heavily. Not only did HL2 do physics and vehicles better than Far Cry. It made the game Far Cry look like a joke. Just my opinion but I thought Far Cry was complete trash.

8. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2006, 19:23 mag

An editor needs to scan that HL vs. HL2 article. It's ripe with errors!

Rife with errors, maybe?

7. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2006, 19:12 Shadowcat

"Habitual" simply indicates an action done out of habit. It doesn't mean "always" or "constantly", but it does suggest that it is done with some regularity, so "as I habitually do sometimes" means that he has a habit of sometimes replaying Half Life, which is indeed a dumb thing to say.

6. No subject Apr 16, 2006, 18:39 Malakai

as I habitually do sometimes.

Im not great English Language scholar (C at GCSE) but unless im mistaken, that statement is impossible. Habitually means that you always do it right? Like a habitual liar always lies. So how can you sometimes habitually do something?

However today it has got so good, or so bad if you will, that developers are sticking in huge vistas, massive set-pieces and forgetting about the little stuff.

That statement however i agree with. That's why i find Oblivion such a breath of fresh air. There's those huge vistas, but theres also those small things like people sparking up conversations, deer in the hills, trees and grass that sways and everything else. That reminds me, i've yet to finish Oblivion. Ah well that can wait until i finish watching Naruto. Only 50 episodes left

5. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 16, 2006, 16:46 Pandy

Some good points in the HL vs HL2 article.

For me the great thing about HL was the number of FPS technological firsts: In particular; in-game cut scenes, NPC interaction and lip-syncing. (I'm amazed to see games today where the characters are still block heads who speak without moving their lips! eg. TR Legend. You just can't get away with that anymore - not after Halflife).

HL2 was great - but by the time it came out it had no new features: Vehicles and physics were done by FarCry 9 months earlier (and done substantially better).

So HL2 was a great game - but not such a leap forward as it's predecessor.

4. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 16, 2006, 16:30 Tango

Bottomline is Doom 1/2 are still excellent and fun games today, and the guy that wrote the article, while allowed to have his opinion, is an idiot, and that's my opinion.
Heh

3. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 16, 2006, 16:26 Krovven

I don't know about that, I play through Doom and Doom 2 every year or so and I always have a blast when I do it.

Ditto. I got to that point in the article and stopped because he obviously hasnt played Doom or Doom 2 recently. The games look better if you install the graphic packs for it, and the mouse look mod too enhances gameplay, especially if you play it on the harder difficulty settings. Bottomline is Doom 1/2 are still excellent and fun games today, and the guy that wrote the article, while allowed to have his opinion, is an idiot, and that's my opinion.

----------------------------------------------------
Phoenix Clan - http://www.phoenix-clan.org
Currently playing Oblivion, RO Ostfront, World of Warcraft.

2. Re: Half-Life vs Half-Life 2 Apr 16, 2006, 16:18 skyguy

On the one hand if you compare Doom to Doom III nowadays, well, there is no comparison... These days Doom isn't really all that fun

I don't know about that, I play through Doom and Doom 2 every year or so and I always have a blast when I do it. On the other hand, I tried twice to get all the way through Doom 3, and both times I gave up 'cause the gameplay was just too annoying.

1. No subject Apr 16, 2006, 15:27 The Phantom Chicken of CS_Italy

An editor needs to scan that HL vs. HL2 article. It's ripe with errors!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo