Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SiN Episode 1 Retail Plans

Valve announces retail plans for SiN Episode 1: Emergence, saying Ritual's upcoming shooter sequel that will be distributed digitally via their Steam service will come to store shelves on May 9 through Electronic Arts:

SiN EPISODE 1: EMERGENCE IN STORES MAY 9

EA to Distribute First New Episode to Gamers Worldwide

Dallas, TX. - April 5, 2005 - Ritual Entertainment® and Valve® today announced that SiN Episode 1: Emergence will be available in retail outlets on May 9, 2006. Distributed throughout Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand by Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), Emergence is the first in a new series of episodic adventures from Ritual that are powered by the award-winning Source™ game engine technology developed by Valve.

SiN Episode 1: Emergence, available for the PC, will offer explosive first person shooter experiences that reintroduce and re-imagine the world of SiN for the new millennium. Emergence, the first in this series of episodic adventures, expands on the role of Colonel John R. Blade and features never before seen weapons, characters, and environments. SiN Episode 1: Emergence will be available for $19.95.

For more information, please visit www.SinEpisodes.com.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Calculations? Apr 6, 2006, 10:03 Riley Pizt

Quake4 -- 8 hours / $50 = $6.25/hour.
FEAR -- 10 hours / $50 = $5/hour.
Max Payne -- 6 hours / $50 = $8.33/hour
HL2 -- 12 hours / $50 = $4.17/hour

SiN:E1 -- 3 hours / $20 = $6.67/hour

Sounds about average.
Here is where your comparison falls apart. Every one of those games could be purchased for less than $50 and in some cases much less. A few months after release both Quake 4 and FEAR were selling for $30 in many places and Amazon even had FEAR for $20 last Christmas. Second, each one of those games except for Max Payne came with multiplayer which greatly extends the playability of the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 10:00 Riley Pizt

The good thing about this is that although you might get burned on the first one, they won't be able to fool people with the 2nd one.
LOL! Sure they can. All they have to do is claim that they listened to the feedback and addressed the complaints at which point most people who were foolish enough to spend $20 for the first time would give them another chance and another $20. Now the third time around would be a lot tougher to convince most of the same suckers, but by then they will have gotten $40 out of them.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 10:08.

31. Re: Have your stopwatch ready Apr 6, 2006, 09:55 Riley Pizt

Does this mean the "Steam = No Buy" crowd might buy it now?
You obviously haven't been paying attention. This IS the Steam version only delivered on a physical disc. The only advantages are that you don't have to wait hours to download it, and you might find it cheaper than the Steam price at some retailer. It still requires Steam and its approval to run the game.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 10:07.

30. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 05:19 Bhruic

I think you are confusing "savings" with "Valve profits".

29. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 04:22 Tango

Heh interesting that despite the cost savings to developers of using Steam, the CD/DVD version costs exactly the same.

28. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 23:08 Beamer

As for cheaper prices -- I'm glad you found games that cheap. They weren't available for $30 where I live for at least 2 months in almost all cases.

Yes. 6-8 weeks. www.gogamer.com.

Of course, most were available for that at launch thanks to massive one-week sales at your local Best Buy, Fry's or Circuit City. Usually more akin to 25% off, not 10% off.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Have your stopwatch ready Apr 5, 2006, 22:23 FourPak

will be interesting to see how they handle the quality of the content.

As an art form the episodic format has been around a long time in film, tv, radio, books, magazines and comics, should work for games too.

the temptation of course will be to mechanically churn out quick and easy crap every month just to collect another $19.95.

edit: the shooter genre seems like a poor choice for episodic. RPGs would be better, a new episode of Thief or Oblivion every 3 months would be great. and no this isn't the same thing as charging $1.99 for 2 sets of Horse Armor polygons!
This comment was edited on Apr 5, 22:30.

26. No subject Apr 5, 2006, 21:10 Shadowcat

I hope their business plan takes into account the people who are interested, but will not be buying this until it's completed (i.e. all episodes finished) and available on a DVD.

That's money that they simply won't be seeing for a while.

25. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 19:56 BorisP

Naive people are what makes life easy for con artists.

"The good thing about this is that although you might get burned on the first one, they won't be able to fool people with the 2nd one.
If 80% of the people DO finish it in less than 2 hrs, my guess is they won't get nearly as many buying part 2, even less buying part 3, etc. So if it IS too short, they'll face an unimaginable uphill battle convincing people part 2 is "much longer, no really!"

You want to learn a lesson? All it takes is to convince 1 million suckers like you to send me $10. Sure if I rip you off, you only lost $10.

But I made $10,000,000 off of people like you that said you would try it. No one every gets angry enough about $10 to do anything about it. I would never be punished in any way.

These scams have been running for ever. They used to run in the back of cheap magazines. "My daughter is sick, please send only $10. My father needs an operation. Please send $10 to help me. My Granmother wants to attend my sisters wedding but does not have enough money. Please send me $10."

If you want to get rich in 1 month, set up a scam selling something for only $10. Wait for the money to roll in and disconnect your phone and email so you don't have to listen to the whiners complaining you took their money.

24. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 19:07 MMORPGHoD

Why not use the low end of the dev estimate for Half-Life 2? 15-20. Even Gabe said 40 hours:

http://www.hlfallout.net/view.php/hl2info/faq.php

Of course, the numbers you picked make SiN look like it's closer in hours/cost to the other games you listed than i believe it really is. You're using 3, because.. there's isn't much room between that number and 0!

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 19:08.

23. No subject Apr 5, 2006, 18:57 Ahnteis

I used the LOW END of their estimate. Sheesh.

As for cheaper prices -- I'm glad you found games that cheap. They weren't available for $30 where I live for at least 2 months in almost all cases.

There's nothing stopping the Sin:E1 to drop in price except the stores themselves. (The press release is about in-store games.)

22. No subject Apr 5, 2006, 18:45 pgoeleven

How many episodes will there be? I'm guessing three? So that'd be $60 for a game that's only a couple of hours.

Yes, I can see why developers would want to move to episodic content...

21. Re: Calculations? Apr 5, 2006, 18:34 Zephalephelah

I'm just going to wait until all the episodes are all out & the end is said & done.

Then some kid in Nebraska will start his auction for "ALL S1N EPISODES STARTING FOR A PENNY!!!!"

But he'll use 1 instead of I, thinking that he's being clever, & no one will catch it. Then I'll buy his 10 episodes for a penny & I'll remember this thread & others like it & I'll laugh & laugh at all the stupid little kiddies who paid TWENTY FUCKING DOLLAR$ PER FUCKING EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Re: Calculations? Apr 5, 2006, 18:19 Beamer

Sounds about average.

Quake 4 -- 8 hours of gibberish = not worth buying
FEAR -- 10 hours / $30 after 6 or 8 weeks = $3/hour
Max Payne 2 -- 10 hours / $30 after 6 or 8 weeks = $3/hour
HL2 - 12 hours / $30 after much too long

Not to mention almost all of these games were available $10 to $15 off from most major retailers the first week of release.

So SiN will be twice the cost of others, assuming the price doesn't fall quickly.
I know I'm not the only one here that refuses to pay $50 for a FPS.

Not to mention the whole "3 hours is one sitting" issue, where you can blow through the $20 in one day and never come back. HL2 took me 2 weeks. FEAR and the second Max Payne each took me one. SiN is risking one day. How memorable a time can one day be? If you play and forget it'll hurt retail on the next episode.

-------------

-------------

19. Re: Calculations? Apr 5, 2006, 18:13 MMORPGHoD

Even assuming those numbers are on the mark, now list what the developer's estimated amount of game play was. Oh I see, SiN is the only game you listed that has a number within the original dev estimates...

18. Calculations? Apr 5, 2006, 18:09 Ahnteis

Sounds about average.

17. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 17:47 Beamer

3 to 6 is mindblowing.

5 to 8 should be the minimum.

-------------

-------------

16. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 17:16 Jedi Master

The good thing about this is that although you might get burned on the first one, they won't be able to fool people with the 2nd one.
If 80% of the people DO finish it in less than 2 hrs, my guess is they won't get nearly as many buying part 2, even less buying part 3, etc. So if it IS too short, they'll face an unimaginable uphill battle convincing people part 2 is "much longer, no really!"

Same for Aftermath/Ep I (The Phantom Menace I prefer to call it!:))--if it doesn't deliver enough for the price...

15. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2006, 17:11 Tetrad

how do they come up with these figures?

Step 1: invite people who haven't played before to play the game
Step 2: have them play the game
Step 3: see how long it took them.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 17:13.

14. No subject Apr 5, 2006, 16:52 spindoctor

3-6 hours interestes me. how do they come up with these figures? (which technically have a 100% error margin)... even for people who like to take it slow, this isn't exactly an rpg where you will be rewarded for exploration beyond the standard health pack/ammo clips etc. so we should forget the upper estimate in any case. add to the fact that someone rightly pointed out that games are rarely as long as the devs say they will be, even if you're not a hardcore gamer.

if you end up paying 20$ (40% of the normal retail price for a game) for an experience that is 2-4 hours (about 15-20% as long as the average shooter which is 10-15 hours these days) AND you have to buy it multiple times at the same price to get the full story, well, thats gonna keep me away from this.

i'm not against episodic content as long as the value of the product is correct. even the developers estimate of 3-6 hours for 20$ doesn't sound right to me as of now, so i think i'll wait and see if its any good before deciding.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo