Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Plans

A Steam Update (thanks Ant) has word that preloads of SiN Episode 1: Emergence should begin soon. They also mention the coming release of new Counter-Strike: Source models and a new HDR-enabled version of de_dust and plans for a new Day of Defeat: Source map that will introduce a new gameplay type.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Still skeptical, but... Apr 6, 2006, 00:15 Shadowcat

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Vietcong (1).
A little bit newer ones, please.
Can't really help you, then. I just hope you're discounting the two I mentioned because you've played them, and not because of their age, because they're both completely awesome games.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 00:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2006, 01:42 solipsism

Also, i am mainly talking about HDR on multiplayer games, as i do not see many if any at all servers making in manditory.

30. Re: Camaro Apr 3, 2006, 01:40 solipsism

Actually im a big fan of physics, although your sarcasm may prove otherwise.

Valves hdr looks like crap, when i am inside a room, should white appear brighter then anything i have every seen?

Im not worried about the framerate as i have a monster machine. Tell me why unfinished wood should look shiny as anodized aluminum

29. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 22:32 Fang

So then, go into Video Options -> Advanced -> High Dynamic Range and turn the HDR off. Or add "mat_bloom 0" and "mat_hdr_enabled 0" in the DoD config file. Ignorance is no excuse, it's not like you don't have options FFS. It takes less than a second to Google for a tweak (or just look in your game video settings). Cripes.

My goodness, someone has their panties in a twist. Yeah, we're just explaining why we have it off already. It's not a big deal, I'm not screaming and complaining about how Valve sucks. I just have HDR disabled when I play and I already stated my reasons why. What's the big deal to you?

His main points were the use of it in a multiplayer game, and Valve's specific implementations of it.

You need to calm down, take a deep breath, and go outside for a walk, before a "perceived" internet argument causes you to blow a blood vessel.

28. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 14:29 ildon

So then, go into Video Options -> Advanced -> High Dynamic Range and turn the HDR off. Or add "mat_bloom 0" and "mat_hdr_enabled 0" in the DoD config file. Ignorance is no excuse, it's not like you don't have options FFS. It takes less than a second to Google for a tweak (or just look in your game video settings). Cripes.
Both of the previous posters stated that they had HDR off, and why they had HDR off. You can't counter "why" they had HDR off with "WELL THEN TURN IT OFF DURRR".

27. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 12:54 Jedi Master

Actually, Riddick is now over 2 years old. It came out BEFORE Doom 3 and HL2, and I think right before Far Cry. It was the first game with a "next gen" (now current gen) engine.

26. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 12:53 Grasman

As long as the devs give you an option to TURN THE SHIT OFF, what's the big deal?

Its off on my computer. I actually liked how HDR looked, in lost coast. But on some of the new level releases, I wasn't impressed, and I wasn't impressed with the noticeable hit on performance that it caused. My PC is more than 2 years old now though, so I wasn't surprised to see this happen.

I agree, though. There is no cause to complain if you can turn it off. As for servers forcing HDR on: I'd notice right away and play somewhere else, simple as that. I haven't seen any servers forcing it on though.

25. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 12:22 Igor

Riddick is still a very good play, just beat it this winter break, great game :).

Plus, people will always complain about something Valve could've done but isn't doing. Their management just sucks.

It took them what 2 years to get more CS:S player models? Not all of the CS classic maps have been ported yet, Steam is still broken, etc.

I am at least glad about SiN, seeing as how Valve will only be distributing that and not developing it, we can complain to them about the game instead :).

24. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 06:33 Muscular Beaver

Riddick is barely a little over a year old and it still stresses computers harder than Doom 3 or Far Cry.

As I said, I didnt pay attention to FPS games only for like 6 months.
Im looking for a good one that was released the last 6 or 7 months.

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

23. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 06:14 Tango

You can force people to have HDR enabled at server level. Though of course such servers wouldn't be playable by those with ageing rigs.

22. No subject Apr 2, 2006, 05:53 Optimaximal

Riddick is barely a little over a year old and it still stresses computers harder than Doom 3 or Far Cry.

21. Re: Still skeptical, but... Apr 2, 2006, 04:46 Muscular Beaver

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Vietcong (1).

A little bit newer ones, please.

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

20. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 03:53 Cynips

As long as the devs give you an option to TURN THE SHIT OFF, what's the big deal?
I mind, since they [Valve] could've used that time to finally support HL2: DM. And I suspect other developers also have to prioritize.

edit: damn smiley code

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 03:53.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

19. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 03:26 Camaro76

However, in the HDR I saw for DOD, I have to agree with Solip. It made everything look shiny and unrealistic. I haven't seen it in CS yet, but the extra hit on framerates, I can do without. I'm just not that interested in things that can degrade my performance while playing online, especially if I'm not all that impressed with the implementation of it.

http://www.dodnetwork.com/index.php?page=fpslagbuster

http://www.twitchguru.com/2005/09/22/seeing_the_lost_coast/page5.html

And for the record, he talked about multiplayer for 1 whole paragraph. The rest of his post was talking about how games were blurry and looked like crap with HDR on...

"Cause generally HDR makes lots of games look worse, not just with the lack of AA in certain implementations, but generally makes things blurry. Devs seem to just be throwing in HDR to help sell 3d cards."

"Any of the recent games i've played with HDR look like ass."

Everyone better get used to HDR because you'll be seeing it in more and more games as time goes on (PC *and* next-gen console games). As long as the devs give you an option to TURN THE SHIT OFF, what's the big deal?

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:

18. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 01:26 Fang

Solip does have a point, Camaro. Sure, Lost Coast looked great, and the frame rate got the job done. But the key difference is that its a single player map. Where you have the luxury of watching the pretty lights, and can deal with the minor hiccups in framerates.

However, in the HDR I saw for DOD, I have to agree with Solip. It made everything look shiny and unrealistic. I haven't seen it in CS yet, but the extra hit on framerates, I can do without. I'm just not that interested in things that can degrade my performance while playing online, especially if I'm not all that impressed with the implementation of it. (Though I do make some exceptions, like anisotropic filtering; I can't stand bi or tri-linear filtering while playing).

Like adding physics to CS, was it really that great that you can shoot tires and watch them roll? As long as it didn't interfere with my playing experience, I wouldn't mind. HDR, in its current implementation, is interfering, at least with the Steam engine.

(Since we're discussing multiplayer games on the Steam engine, examples about single player games or Xbox 360 games don't really work well.)

17. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2006, 01:13 Camaro76

Secondly valves implementation of HDR is sorely lacking, as it makes everything else look like complete and blurry ass. Not to mention makes everthing, including trees, sand, wood shiny as all hell.

Yes, this looks completely horrible. They had to go and make things look more realistic and less like a cartoon! God forbid it should make the game more immersive.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/09/21/lost_coast_benchmark/1.html

I mean, why do those damn developers have to go and actually use those features on my $300 video card? It just makes everything run like a slideshow!

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/09/21/lost_coast_benchmark/2.html

And those other games just look like complete crap. Even though my glasses are broken and there's vasoline all over my CRT. It's just all so blurry!

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1248/Project-Gotham-Racing-3/p1/

I know exactly what I'm talking about with HDR. Really!

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/lostcoast.ars/2

I hear they're adding something called "physics" to games next. Can you imagine what kind of farce that will be?

</sarcasm mode off>

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:

16. theyarecomingforyou's point Apr 2, 2006, 00:01 solipsism

I see what you mean. I for one am going to wait until they are all out, or at least until i get really bored.

The credit card thing is a small problem, but they are fairly easy to come by. If you cant get a regular credit card, get a collateral credit card (where you put money onto it before you spend it).

As far as oblivon is concerned, I don't beleive RPG's cant be compared to an fps for length, since most of RPG's is just leveling up and fighting randomly generated battles. FPS's are more like a movie.

Edited for mistakes.

Edit: A move to quelch the oncoming assult of Oblivion players: i know there is more to it then leveling up, and yes you can compare them cause they cost about the same amount. But i still think you shouldnt compare them that way for obvious reasons. I would personally love a game like Oblivion but aimed at fpsers. Just lots of senseless gunfights.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 00:17.

15. ... Apr 1, 2006, 23:48 theyarecomingforyou

After playing Oblivion even games like HL2 appear too short, so I'll probably pass on episodic content. I'm not against the idea, I just like to play for as long as possible in one sitting. Also, it's a lot of hassle... at least with a regular game you pay for it once and forget about it; episodic is problematic at the moment because Steam doesn't accept debit cards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: No subject Apr 1, 2006, 23:45 solipsism

Its probably gonna be cheap anyway, so who cares. If your buying games with your allowance, then get a job.

Before this gets anyone pissed, be aware that I am not a fan of this episodic content, im just part of the growing group of people getting sick of people bitching about valve/steam/episodic content/starforce.

By the way this is my first post, althouhg i have read this site/msgbrd for about 6 years.

Edit: As far as the HDR on Dust and new player models are concerned, I react negatively to both, but not for the previous reasons listed. Now there are thousands of people who still play dust and all the other redone source maps from the original, not adding new tech to and old map, cause many people are sick of it is a bad reason.

The reason to bitch about HDR, is because its a multiplayer game. Just like DOD:S, many of the people who have machines that can handle above 1280x1024 (1920x1200 for me) with HDR on dont use it anyway. Its bad for competition. If everyone had to use it i would, and maybe get some use out of my $700 graphics card. But realistically HDR give the other players a postive handicap, slows down my machine and makes it easier for other players to compete against me.

Secondly valves implementation of HDR is sorely lacking, as it makes everything else look like complete and blurry ass. Not to mention makes everthing, including trees, sand, wood shiny as all hell.

I dont think that there are enough people that have a machine that can run high-res and hdr at the same time. Otherwise alot of this HDR shit would be dissposed of until the technology can be better integrated. Cause generally HDR makes lots of games look worse, not just with the lack of AA in certain implementations, but generally makes things blurry. Devs seem to just be throwing in HDR to help sell 3d cards.

Any of the recent games i've played with HDR look like ass.The new godfather game has bloom, and it just makes everything blurry and superbright. Inside its much more annoying, as anything white will light up like god himself, from a mere 60w bulb. Valves hdr is just plain bad. If you look at the Hi-Res video of GRAW-PC releases lately, even it looks really bad, but the dev is hoping you are just looking at the pretty lights.

Now im not against implementation of new tech, as it does need to grow. I just think that theres alot of time spent on something that 90% of the audience cant use, and even the ones that can rarely want to.

P.S. I did like Riddicks HDR alot. Farcry was not bad for something added in a patch. With proper tweaking it actually looked pretty good for an older game. Although it does stand out a tad too much.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 23:57.

13. Re: No subject Apr 1, 2006, 23:42 solipsism

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo