Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SiN Episodes: Emergence Delayed

Ritualistic Forums reflect a bit of a hubbub over what is described as a delay to the release of SiN Episodes: Emergence to sometime in May (thanks 1UP and Voodoo Extreme). Word from Ritual Entertainment QA Manager Michael Russell is: "What I can say is that we wouldn't be moving the release date that far back if the end result wasn't going to be good for the game, good for gamers and good for Ritual as well." How much of a delay this represents depends on your interpretation of the vague "early 2006" release date set when Ritual's shooter sequel was previously delayed (story).

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: No subject Mar 29, 2006, 12:17 Riley Pizt

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html

sorry, just thought it was funny
That is far from the dumbest thing Lolipop has written on these forums, but it is typical of him nonetheless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: No subject Mar 29, 2006, 12:12 Riley Pizt

I understand a lot of people dug the Star Trek game,
Actually most Elite Force I users hated Elite Force II multiplayer, and I mean HATED it. That is one of the main reasons why almost no one plays it while Elite Force I still has a following.

32. Re: Beamer Mar 29, 2006, 10:00 kanniballl

B: Doom2 took A HELLA LONG ASS TIME!!! DId you ever play Doom2? I mean it was dozens & dozens of hours. 36 fucking levels. Sure you could rush through the thing & miss entire areas just to end it. But if you were a 1st time FPS player & most were at that time (duh), it was MASSIVE on a scale that has probably never been replicated outside Serious Sam. But that was 1994 man. So 12 years ago. Yeah you were probably wearing shit on your ass beneath those diapers. Nevertheless, you're still wrong. Ignorance doesn't excuse you from making blatently incorrect assertions.

Maybe if you combined Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, and Final Doom into your statement then yeh, I could see it taking a heller long time.

As for Doom2 by itself, I don't know. It's been a while so I don't remember every single level. Nor do I remember how long it took to play through. But 30+ hours?

Eh, then again maybe my memory is just fuzzy. I mean, crap, that was back in High School.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

31. Re: Beamer Mar 29, 2006, 03:01 Orogogus

It still didn't take 30 hours to do 32 - not 36, even with secrets; DOOM 1 was 36 - levels. Par for the whole game was 95 minutes; while par represents good run times, it's not on the factor of "18 times faster than a normal person will do it on their first try." I beat the game on co-op with my dormmates in one night in the first week, so the 30+ hour estimate is totally bunk. As has been pointed out already.

And frankly, gamers wouldn't accept the kind of gameplay that comprised those 36 hours nowadays. The idea that people are demanding a return to red key / blue key / yellow key X 36 gameplay is pretty preposterous, as is the suggestion that developers should spend time and money creating the assets and then catering to the crowd that measures fun in hours. Looking Glass's games were at the top of their form, and they certainly didn't take 30 hours to complete. System Shock 1 - one of the finest FPSes ever made, in my opinion - had a time limit of 7 hours, which was ridiculously easy to make even on a first playthrough.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 03:02.

30. Re: Beamer Mar 29, 2006, 01:40 Zephalephelah

Holy shit dude. You usually post fairly well. This was abyssmal. COMPLETELY INACCURATE STATEMENT.

<i>A full game used to be 30-40+ hours, until you all accepted less.</i>

There's so little truth to that it isn't even funny.

FPS games have never ben 30-40 hours,

A: If you would just scroll down slightly on the webpage when you are going to make a post, below the smily faces, there's a whole fucking key text of how to do special coding such as Quoting & ITALICS....

B: Doom2 took A HELLA LONG ASS TIME!!! DId you ever play Doom2? I mean it was dozens & dozens of hours. 36 fucking levels. Sure you could rush through the thing & miss entire areas just to end it. But if you were a 1st time FPS player & most were at that time (duh), it was MASSIVE on a scale that has probably never been replicated outside Serious Sam. But that was 1994 man. So 12 years ago. Yeah you were probably wearing shit on your ass beneath those diapers. Nevertheless, you're still wrong. Ignorance doesn't excuse you from making blatently incorrect assertions.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 01:43.

29. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 19:05 Hpankin

...and really, for all intensive purposes...

Sorry for doing this but it's just as easy to get it right.

The phrase is "intents and purposes."

You guys are smart so it hurts to see this sort of thing.

28. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 18:24 Prez

I'm sure Valve is probably rather adamant about being the first with episodic content on its own service. This is probably a similar situation to the "Vampire-Bloodlines" delay. Too bad Troika didn't use that extra time to squash bugs and refine gameplay. Hopefully Ritual is smarter and uses the extra time wisely.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 18:06 Beamer

Wasn't SiN 1998 or 1999? In which case, it's 7 years?

Fall 1998. 7 and a half years ago.

Which is almost a decade.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. No subject Mar 28, 2006, 16:03 Optimaximal

Am I the only one who thinks that this is due to the Aftermath slippage.

Valve want to be the first to get their episodic game to market. If Emergence came out before them, it would steal a helluva lot of Aftermaths thunder, lightning, footing and every other hype-based analogy that is stealable.

25. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 11:48 kanniballl

Well yeah, because SiN was done very well and really, for all intensive purposes, they've been working on the sequel (in one form or another) for a few years now. Remember a couple of years ago they were shopping around a little demo to potential distributers, but came up nil.

Back then, I took it to mean they started work on a little demo but nobody wanted any part in it. So they dropped the idea for a while to work on other stuff. And only around the Steam release did they really pick up.

Then again, I don't know.

To be honest, I never really played that much of the original SiN. I just remembered I kind of liked it.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: re Mar 28, 2006, 11:43 kanniballl

A full game used to be 30-40+ hours, until you all accepted less.

The only game that would take me that long was X-Wing on normal difficulty. I don't even think Tie Fighter took that long.

Doom 1 or 2? Heck no. Even for all of the Episodes
D3D? Heck no.
Zelda 3: Link to Past? No
7th Guest? Don't know, never finished it
C&C? No

While this list is just a small sampling, it runs the gambit of the 1990's. While I was never into Wolf3D, Commander Keen, or earlier games I don't think 30-40 hours was ever "normal" unless it was an RPG.

To my knowledge, 30+ hour games were occasional, but not common. Unless you're counting games like Pong or Tetris: multiplayer games or games with no ending.

-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 11:45.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 11:40 kanniballl

SiN (almost a decade ago.)

Wasn't SiN 1998 or 1999? In which case, it's 7 years? It was around the time of Half-Life, and I know I was in college already when that came out.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 10:28 XEON

The only game that took me over thirty hours to finish was Hidden & Dangerous.

Was that because of the bugs?

The only games that took me 30+ hours to complete are: System Shock 2, Deus Ex (all endings), Morrowind and FFVII

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

21. No subject Mar 28, 2006, 10:08 Elf Shot The Food

The only game that took me over thirty hours to finish was Hidden & Dangerous.

20. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 10:02 XEON

Call me crazy, but I hope it really takes off and developers just get better at it.

I do too, having been down the episodic path a few years ago and failing horribly...

But, I don't think we'll see many sucessful PC episodic games for a while, I think it will be the console market - with a concerted effort/push from a giant like Sony (probably) who'll we'll see the consistent success stories from...

===

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

19. re Mar 28, 2006, 09:21 deeny

well put

18. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 09:17 Beamer

<i>A full game used to be 30-40+ hours, until you all accepted less.</i>

There's so little truth to that it isn't even funny.

FPS games have never ben 30-40 hours, especially now that they're more movie-like. Creating their content is costly and time consuming. With the exception of free-form games like Oblivion, FPS games have always been under 25 hours. And the more complex they get, the shorter they've been getting, to around 12-18 lately.

But most older console games are 2 hours, tops.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 09:13 MyRealName

To the poster below, I would argue that "10+ hours" is not a "full game", either. Someday, someone will post in a forum somewhere, that they "miss the good old days of full games, 2 whole hours long!"

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

16. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 07:30 Squirmer

Call me crazy, but I hope it really takes off and developers just get better at it.

15. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 06:53 XEON

Totally agree vacs... fair enough if the *first* episode gets delayed, but my gut feeling is that if you can't deliver the first one in time then how are you going to keep momentum up to release the next, and the next and the next...

Sure, producing your first episode is the backbreaker in terms of getting that underlying game structure in place but it doesn't do much for confidence when the release date changes constantly.

===

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo