Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - Space Rangers 2

Cinemaware Marquee announces that Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators is now shipping to stores in North America:

LANGHORNE, PA – March 27, 2006 – Cinemaware Marquee, an affiliated label of eGames, Inc. (OTCBB:EGAM), today announced its first title, Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators is now shipping for PC. Already a smash hit overseas, this intergalactic, genre-busting masterpiece promises uncompromised gameplay and a depth that’s rarely seen in games.

Developed by Russian studio Elemental Games and produced by 1C Company, Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators is the unexpected critical success of the year. Computer Games Magazine has described the game as “a classic”, scoring it at 4 1/2 out of 5 stars and giving it a coveted "Editor's Choice" award. Previews in the gaming press, based on extensive hands on time with the game, have been universally positive.

“I can’t wait for gamers to get their hands on Space Rangers 2,” said Lars Batista, Vice President of Product Development for eGames. “Elemental Games has delivered a masterpiece, and I’m proud that this game is going to be Cinemaware Marquee’s flagship title. This one is going to blow people away.”

Space Rangers 2 is not easily classifiable. It can be best described as a turn-based RPG giving gamers an unprecedented level of freedom in a vast universe. Combining various genres and styles of gameplay, including third and first person mech battles, RTS elements, classic text adventures, and an arcade style shooter, the game allows the player to determine their own destiny. There are an unlimited number of outcomes to Space Rangers 2 – each player will get a different experience in the face of evil intentions from a sinister race of robots.

“We have always had a bold vision for Space Rangers 2,” said Dmitriy Gusarov, Head of Development at Elemental Games. “Cinemaware Marquee was able to give us the opportunity to launch the North American version of the game, which has a level of polish and groundbreaking gameplay we have always dreamed about.”

Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators is available now at retail for $29.99. As an added value, the package will include a bonus poster and the original version of the Space Rangers game.

For the latest updates and info on the game, please visit www.spacerangers2.com.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Space Rangers 2 Mar 17, 2009, 10:49 PrimoBe

Space Rangers can drive new spaceships with skins of other software editions? Like a selling software application made @ Plimus?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Learn This! May 17, 2008, 15:27 kardelen133

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 20:46.

42. Re: No subject Mar 29, 2006, 09:45 nin

You hijack every thread on Blue's with anti-SF rhetoric and people here get frustrated and stop taking you seriously.

Exactly. They've made asses of themselves...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 22:59 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax, no offense, but I'm not sure why you keep repeating that over and over, as if you know what "many of the glop forum users" do? I myself have sent dozens of letters, and there's no reason to assume that people who are more vocal and active about this than I am don't do the same, if not more. It's just putting forward something you have no evidence for as fact.

What I'm referring to is the people who come into the Glop forums (and there are many) who say "This publisher sucks because they banned me for saying that they shouldn't use StarForce!" but when you look at the posts they actually made in the publisher's forums (they usually think to them), they are little more than 13 year-old trolling. There are several guys there who go into the Ubisoft forums and protest by saying something like "OMFG UBI R TEH GHAYEST FOR UZING SF!!!111" and then when the admins ban them for their behavious (not their views), they come and whine that publishers don't want to listen. And they get support from other forum users and usually the admin himself! How does supporting people who troll on publisher forums send the message that your boycott is organized and has noble objectives?

If you are writing intelligent letters to publishers, you are to be applauded, as is anyone else who is doing that. If you are just going and trolling on their forums and sending them childish letters like some of the Glop people, then you are hurting the cause.

Also, you keep saying that speaking out on forums accomplishes nothing. Have you been watching? Even if not anywhere else, even if not on glop, even if not in recent online publications (I've had to start collecting links there are so many new ones), how about just on Blue's? Two weeks ago, the anti-boycott whiners were in a 10:1 ratio. Read any of the starforce related threads recently to see how that has changed. The power of voice is not to be underestimated, and it doesn't have to come in just one format.

Speaking out on the right forums is what needs to happen. You speak out against Ubisoft using StarForce on Ubisoft's boards and that makes sense. You hijack every thread on Blue's with anti-SF rhetoric and people here get frustrated and stop taking you seriously. The SF stories on here should contain discussion about SF, but not every other non-related thread. That's what many around here were getting sick of.

And yes I agree, non-starforce versions of games should be supported. It sends a stronger message to software companies than "our product didn't sell." It tells them "our product, when infested with starforce, didn't sell." This has been stated several times on the glop forums but apparently the admin doesn't agree.

Then he is sending the wrong message with his boycott and he's going to do more harm to gaming in general then to StarForce. If you aren't prepared to reward those who do what we are asking (not using StarForce), condone forum trolling as legitimate protest and are directing your blame at the wrong people for the problem, then you are not excercizing proper methods to affect change. If he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to take a much more professional approach since it is businesspeople we are trying to change the opinion of here.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

40. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 11:50 Orogogus

And yes I agree, non-starforce versions of games should be supported. It sends a stronger message to software companies than "our product didn't sell." It tells them "our product, when infested with starforce, didn't sell." This has been stated several times on the glop forums but apparently the admin doesn't agree.
Until the admin changes his mind, I'm going to continue saying that his list is useless, because it fails as a reference for telling me what games have Starforce. If it were a matter of not having enough manpower to confirm, that would be one thing, but it's not. As far as I'm concerned the list exists solely to serve some bizarre agenda and doesn't help me or other gamers, publishers or anyone else at all.

39. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 09:36 MyRealName

Parallax, no offense, but I'm not sure why you keep repeating that over and over, as if you know what "many of the glop forum users" do? I myself have sent dozens of letters, and there's no reason to assume that people who are more vocal and active about this than I am don't do the same, if not more. It's just putting forward something you have no evidence for as fact.

Also, you keep saying that speaking out on forums accomplishes nothing. Have you been watching? Even if not anywhere else, even if not on glop, even if not in recent online publications (I've had to start collecting links there are so many new ones), how about just on Blue's? Two weeks ago, the anti-boycott whiners were in a 10:1 ratio. Read any of the starforce related threads recently to see how that has changed. The power of voice is not to be underestimated, and it doesn't have to come in just one format.

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

38. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 08:33 MMORPGHoD

any firsthand confirmation that the NA version does or doesn't have Starforce?

Parallax emailed the publisher and it is confirmed. The NA release has StarForce. It's probably the latest SF, although the version is not confirmed. If that's the case, people will probably just get the import version.

37. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 01:46 Orogogus

They also refuse to mention editions like the US version of SpellForce 2 which doesn't use StarForce and the owner of the site insists that its developers and not publishers who are responsible for StarForce spreading.
Ditto Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich, in the US. Why does this site have its priorities screwed up so badly? If the US publisher didn't include Starforce, shouldn't we be rewarding this behavior? If gamers in backwards podunk nations are stuck with publishers enamored with Starforce, then frankly, that's their problem. The logic of punishing developers, who are not the ones making these decisions, is completely baffling, and I really don't know who this list is supposed to be helping.

The page says that contest ended in January. You also had to pay to fly your self to Moscow and pay your own accomodation which would've negated much of the $10K. It was also entirely up to StarForce whether your proof was good enough.
To be fair, they said they'd pay the air fare and lodging for 2 days, and were reasonably specific about the terms. It wasn't a catch-all contest to show that Starforce is bad, but to prove that it would render optical drives inoperable. The contest was still a joke, but eh.

Not that it matters to me at this point, but is there any firsthand confirmation that the NA version does or doesn't have Starforce?

36. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 00:49 Halsy

If the publishers don't realize that gamers have a hate on for Starforce it only demonstrates how out of touch they are with their potential customer base. It's their job to research this stuff. If a game does a lot less in sales than you think it should and you were handling the marketing/sales wouldn't you be curious why? Wouldn't you try and find out why? Or just be lazy and write it off.

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

35. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 23:30 Parallax Abstraction

The page says that contest ended in January. You also had to pay to fly your self to Moscow and pay your own accomodation which would've negated much of the $10K. It was also entirely up to StarForce whether your proof was good enough.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

34. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 23:26 Halo

If you can prove star-force messed up your system they'll give you 10 grand.
http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=261&id=707

33. Damn shame Mar 27, 2006, 23:25 Bet

Was looking forward to the improvements they were making for the North America release (grammar corrections and the like). Now it looks like I'm going to have to buy the Import copy from GoGamer after all, just so I can use a crack and keep a possibly more invasive version of StarForce off my system. Hopefully someone will report back what version it uses.

What all these anti-Starforce websites need is to include the version numbers. Starforce isn't universally evil, but the later versions sure feel like it.

32. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 23:17 Parallax Abstraction

When you email developers and publishers make sure a cc: goes to sales and marketing.

Good advice for those of us who actually e-mail the publishers instead of just bitching on forums. Which is unfortunately what many of the Glop forum users are about, trolling on publisher sites and then calling them evil when they ban them. They also refuse to mention editions like the US version of SpellForce 2 which doesn't use StarForce and the owner of the site insists that its developers and not publishers who are responsible for StarForce spreading. eGames just has a contact form on their site, but this was actually a sales rep who responded. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to find contact info for these departments on most publisher sites. I think I'm going to look into that some more...

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 23:29.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

31. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 23:11 MMORPGHoD

He didn't appear to be aware of the hatred for it on the net and said he hadn't heard of the Glop boycott site, but said he will inform his superiors of it (like that can do anything at this point.)

He might not have any idea, as those in sales rarely have that much information on the technical aspects of the product they're selling. However, he did know the answer (he didn't forward it to tech support), so it's also possible he just blew you off with a response that doesn't require an action (throw it into the black hole, aka suggestion box). Still, the email was worth it, as it did get the official answer.

You can bet they paid enough attention to UPDATE the version of starfoce being used with the NA release.

30. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 22:31 FourPak

I wrote to eGames (the owner of Cinemaware) and their sales representative confirmed that it will in fact use StarForce. He didn't appear to be aware of the hatred for it on the net and said he hadn't heard of the Glop boycott site, but said he will inform his superiors of it
This brings up a point -
to have an effect, the anti-StarForce protest needs to extend Beyond the gamer community
to include the Sales and Marketing depts of the publishers and developers involved.
Many/most of them aren't aware that there is even a controversy going on.
When you email developers and publishers make sure a cc: goes to sales and marketing.

29. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 22:29 MyRealName

Not sure what that person below is talking about, or if it's in response to me, but apparently he doesn't know what I'm talking about either, so it should be fine.

28. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 22:17 Bucky

Anyways, on a side note, this is a really excellent Starflight kind of game, except for the real time strategy portion, which is crap.

Aside from having to do it once when you start a new game (as a tutorial) you can pretty much stay away from it. If you do want to do it just hit a planet in a system that was recently liberated.

Personally, I avoid it at all costs.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
GW: Alia Arjel Mo/Me

27. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 21:49 Orogogus

That FAQ was written before the US version was done, so I don't think it addresses the Starforce question at all. The other link only mentions that the poster heard there was Starforce in the US version. I don't see any firsthand confirmation yet.

The glop.org and similarities.org Starforce links are kind of crap, in my opinion, because they either don't address regions in the former case, or do it badly in the latter.

Anyways, on a side note, this is a really excellent Starflight kind of game, except for the real time strategy portion, which is crap.

26. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 21:44 MyRealName

Allen Varney, thanks for the great link (and links deriving from it). Those are keepers. Anyone who isn't informed about the situation should have those run by them.

25. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2006, 21:34 Parallax Abstraction

I don't want to get into another StarForce thing, but for those who still aren't sure if the NA release has it, I wrote to eGames (the owner of Cinemaware) and their sales representative confirmed that it will in fact use StarForce. He didn't appear to be aware of the hatred for it on the net and said he hadn't heard of the Glop boycott site, but said he will inform his superiors of it (like that can do anything at this point.)

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo