Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Vista Mar 26, 2006, 08:02 Rolphus

Vista runs just as well with 1Gb of RAM as XP does. I know this because I've had various CTP releases running on my PC.

For the record, FEAR runs better with 1.5-2Gb of RAM, on high detail. With 1Gb you get a LOT of disk activity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 22:50 sc4r4b

bf2 is the only game i know that benefits with 2gb of memory, similar fps but no stutters..

I run BF2 well with 1.5GB.

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=43526450

15. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 15:29 Masa

I believe in UFO stories in the real Enquirer before I believe anything from them.

But UFO's are real too.....

14. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 15:23 MajorGeeks

Good post DrEvil, problem here is a lousy news source who should never be quoted as news, the so called Enquirer.net. I believe in UFO stories in the real Enquirer before I believe anything from them. A guess would be someone running the beta saw current memory useage and made an story from it. Since Vista is now 9-10 months off, I will wait till we get closer to final code. 1 gig is more then enough for anything we play now, one could assume you might need more down the road.....  
http://www.majorgeeks.com

13. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 12:12 banddirector

I don't really see a need to upgrade to 2GB for XP unless you really enjoy supporting the memory tech industry.

I can attest to this. My upgrade from 1 to 2 gigs barely did diddly ...

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

12. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 11:58 Bhruic

Oh, they could be right. But MS has always said that the UI of Vista is going to be scalable. The more 'features' you turn on, the more memory it will take. So I'm sure if you turn on all the 'features', it very well may take 2gb to play games with. But if you don't have 2gb, it's simple to turn off some of the features, and have a very responsive system with less.

Typical fear-mongering, really. I've never understood why, with all the valid things to complain about, people need to invent them to attack MS.

11. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 11:04 DrEvil

Consider the source guys. This bullshit article originates from Inquirer, who are completely 100% full of shit in everything they post. On top of that you have hundreds of other dumbasses that run other sites that happily echo the 'news' with no regard for its accuracy or truth.

Here's the source
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30503

Their justification for claiming this 2GB 'requirement' is someones screenshot of task manager. Read it. And anyone with a clue should be able to immediately pick out the sheer volume of bullshit and rediculous assumptions.

10. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 10:27 Chipper

bf2 is the only game i know that benefits with 2gb of memory, similar fps but no stutters..  
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

9. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 09:50 tron

I don't really see a need to upgrade to 2GB for XP unless you really enjoy supporting the memory tech industry.

i agree 100%. i have yet to see an example of a situation where 2GB (instead of 1GB) of RAM made a worthwhile difference in performance. yet many people who have 2GB act like it is something you need in a gaming rig. i run 1GB in my machine, but i wish i had a couple hundred dollars i didn't need. i would buy another 1GB and do before and after benchmarks and see just how big of a performance gain i got. probably less than 10 3D marks, and maybe an extra FPS or 2 in Q4, HL2, or Oblivion.

i have yet to see a benchmarking report that justifies having 2GB. anyone in here know of such a report?

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

8. Re: IBM Creates ... on a Single Nanotube Mar 25, 2006, 06:43 MacD

Well, if you like your high res video and don't want to buy a new drm'd monitor for the privilege (especialy whilst your 21 inch monitor is perfectly fine at the moment, thank you very much), you'll skip Vista too, and hope the game devs decide recoding for vista is only slightly less hassle than recoding for linux.

I can hope, can't I?

7. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 04:10 Fantaz

6. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 03:07 FourPak

so now it'll take 2G to BSOD instead of 512K?
that's what i call real progress.

a -game- requireing 2, 4, or 8G is ok because it actually uses the memory for something.

But to require that much to just bootup and idle with, what is it for vista, hundreds?, of needless background tasks and processes running is obscene.

Too bad that it's too complex to make bootable games anymore.

5. Re: IBM Creates ... on a Single Nanotube Mar 25, 2006, 02:39 Beamer

I still remember when people swore up and down they'd never leave the perfect gaming platform of 98 for XP.

Look how wrong they were.

Of course, all of us were right when we said we'd never leave 98 for ME, so we'll see where Vista falls.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. IBM Creates ... on a Single Nanotube Mar 25, 2006, 01:31 John

There you go, Creston! There's some more nanotube news for ya.

I'm looking foward to seeing what all they are able to do with carbon nanotubes in the future. So far I've heard of things like bulbs, batteries, and a space-elevator being built with them. They're supposed to have more strength than carbon fiber and other composites.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N One of these day's I'm going to start a new character...

This space is available for rent

3. Re: Vista Mar 25, 2006, 01:17 fomit

Halsy...

I'm surprised that you are posting something like this. This is the way of things. This will always be the way of things. XP runs great on 512, 98 ran great on 128. That's a 4x difference.

MS will hardly see any difference in the bottom line from geeks refusing to upgrade from XP. Every new computer sold from December on will either have Vista or a coupon for a free upgrade in January.

2. Vista Mar 25, 2006, 01:05 Halsy

I know *anyone* who plans on using it. I think MS is in for a huge shock. Good.

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

1. ATI Says It Can Do Physics Better Than.. Mar 25, 2006, 00:50 John

Of course they say that! They should have said, "...Better Than AGEIA and NVIDIA Combined" to make it even more believable.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N One of these day's I'm going to start a new character...

This space is available for rent

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo