Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3D Realms Game Plans

FiringSquad's 3D Realms Q&A talks with Scott Miller about what's what at the developer, including possible sequels and an unannounced project:

We've already mapped out a sequel for Prey, from a high-level story standpoint, and of course as soon as Duke is done we'll begin a new one. We are also getting the ball rolling on an unannounced project, which has yet to be signed by a publisher.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: 3D Realms Game Plans Mar 22, 2006, 01:47 Riley Pizt

Romero saying "oh absolutely Daikatana II is nearing completion any day now!"
Say what you want about Daikatana as a game, but at least Romero actually got the product out the door and into the hands of customers (even if most of them regreted the purchase later).

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 01:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Acquiring DNF Mar 21, 2006, 22:57 UnderLord

Rseman is on the right track relating laughs and buying DNF. I have a few vouchers to redeem for 3DRealms products, courtesy of winning a few Camera Caption competitions.
I reckon there's plenty of time for others to rack up enough coupons to 'buy' DNF when it comes out.
So long as inflation holds off ;-)
(Just kidding, I like the vouchers too much. I did redeem my E.B. pre-order for DNF after about a year though, so I could buy Unreal II when it came out :-)

38. Re: 3D Realms Game Plans Mar 21, 2006, 21:22 FourPak

and of course as soon as Duke is done
y'know, they get more press and PR mileage out of duke NOT being done, and since it's a dated property that people would probably just laugh at now, why would they ever want to finish it.

edit: to clarify, i think Duke is just 3D Realms in-house humor at this point, but gamers don't get the sarcasm.

It's like: 'and of course "as soon as Duke is done" (tm) we'll begin a new one! *snicker*' - he's just kidding. Would be like Romero saying "oh absolutely Daikatana II is nearing completion any day now!"

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 21:42.

37. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 20:14 Masa

DNF will be a mediocre game that will be quickly forgotten like all the rest within a year of it's release.

I think it will be a great game as far as shooters go, with plenty of interactivity and misc. and pointless stuff to keep the player busy. But will it be mediocre in comparison to everyone's expectations? Yeah..well, can't help but wonder just what the hell took so long to develop.

36. No subject Mar 21, 2006, 19:59 Nachoman

I think there is a certain point in a game's development where it becomes over-developed. I think that timeframe is ~5 years; once it breaches that amount of time, what the developers end up doing is redesigning, reworking, retrofitting, tweaking, and a whole other bunch of buzzwords that basically leave them with a game seriously lacking focus, likely outdated in many areas and probably so bloated that even the developers themselves don't know what to do with it.

Creativity is a wonderful thing, but I think DNF shows just what happens to a game when you have a group of very creative people and nobody with a head for business; the creativity gets out of control and you end up with no end product.

With so much time spent on one game; is the engine more technically impressive than UE3? I highly doubt it. Will the gameplay be groundbreaking? I doubt that too. DNF will be a mediocre game that will be quickly forgotten like all the rest within a year of it's release. Hardcore fans will probably be pleased, everyone else will likely shrug their shoulders and move on.

Shame really, an utter waste of talent... think how many great games we *could* have had in that timeframe.

35. No subject Mar 21, 2006, 19:05 Nameless Again

"and of course as soon as Duke is done we'll begin a new one."

Yeah, I'll be dipping into my retirement to buy *that* game...

34. Re: Mar 21, 2006, 18:11 Rseman

Someone needs to point graham to that article about the DNF timeline....;P

January 1997: Work on DNF started.*

and after that, it got worse, culminating in my 2 personal faves of...

"The rovers Spirit and Opportunity were proposed, authorized, announced, designed, launched and successfully landed upon Mars within the timeframe of Duke Nukem Forever's development."

"The majority of the children who were entering high school the school year following Duke Nukem Forever's announcemnt are now eligible to drink."

Whoever wrote that constructed a masterpiece. Everytime I see something about DNF, I open that up and read it through again for a good laugh. Still, as previously stated, I will buy it..... even if it's just to give back for some of the laughs I've had at the expense of its development!....

33. Re: hmmm Mar 21, 2006, 16:39 nin

but they don't post every year saying its coming out (well since 2002)

Yes, and that was 4 years ago. 4 years!

And it's been over 8 years...there's what, 52 weeks in a year? We'll say they all get 2 weeks vacation, to be fair. And we'll throw in another week, for various holidays throughout the year. So, roughly 49 weeks a year, give or take a week. Just for funnies, we'll say they worked 30 hours a week. That's 1470 hours a year, or 11760 hours over the last 8 years. OR 245 work days a year, or 1960 days over the last 8 years...

Now...what kind of game can't be done in that time frame?

(Sorry if I fucked up the math anywhere...)

edit: Also keep in mind that the math is based on ONE PERSON. How many people are working on DNF? That causes the number to jump through the roof...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk
This comment was edited on Mar 21, 16:44.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: hmmm Mar 21, 2006, 16:34 Masa

I, for one, am thrilled that there is even the slightest possibility that they have invented something (gameplay, graphics, whatever it may be) unique enough to warrant extra years of development and incorporation into the game.

Eight years is a long time for a computer game. I don't think anyone's really mad at it not being released, but you have to admit the story behind the developement cycle of DNF is rediculous.

Why all the hostility about duke not being released?

Don't think it's hostility so much as that of a running joke. For all the luster Apogee and 3d realms had when DN3d was released, they naturally announced a sequel with a lot of fanfare and still haven't delivered.

And I think it's ironic that George B. comes off in that interview as having some amount of business acumen (discussing MS enering the console market) but he's evidentally having some difficulty managing his own company.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 16:41.

31. Re: hmmm Mar 21, 2006, 16:23 grahamslam

"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." - George Broussard, 2001

Exactly, something is very wrong and they are fixing it, but they don't post every year saying its coming out (well since 2002). I, for one, am thrilled that there is even the slightest possibility that they have invented something (gameplay, graphics, whatever it may be) unique enough to warrant extra years of development and incorporation into the game. I'm tired of a game being released that is just another copy cat placeholder of a previous game until the next better incarnation of the same game comes out.

30. Re: hmmm Mar 21, 2006, 16:16 nin

I can even see you getting mad at 3DRealms for saying this was going to be released and never releasing it,

And that's exactly it:

"We're confident that DNF will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, game of 1998. And this confidence is not misplaced." - Scott Miller, 1997

"Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard, 1998

"Trust us, Duke Nukem Forever will rock when it comes out next year." - Joe Siegler, 1999

"When it's done in 2001." - 2000 Christmas card

"DNF will come out before Unreal 2." - George Broussard, 2001

"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." - George Broussard, 2001

"DNF will come out before Doom 3." - George Broussard, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. hmmm Mar 21, 2006, 16:11 grahamslam

Why all the hostility about duke not being released? I don't get it. Will all you fortune tellers give me the lottery numbers so I can win. You seem so sure that something you've never seen and never played will fail miserably. If you don't buy it, then it's your loss and you'd have absolutely no reason to bitch about it. Did you put money up already? If you did, then I can understand being pissed it isn't released. Maybe you are pissed because you secretly are creaming your pants in anticipation of this game and are mad you can't get your hands on it. I can even see you getting mad at 3DRealms for saying this was going to be released and never releasing it, but damn, what if its such an ambitious project that maybe, just maybe they are waiting for people's computers to be powerful enough to run the game right and actually get to play it in all its glory without having to sacrifice physics, graphics and gameplay. Hell, maybe the damn game will get you laid for real, by a real stripper and you guys would still bitch that you could do better on your own...probably with your hand, but it wouldn't matter because damn if you are going to buy DNF no matter how good it could be.

Then again maybe it will never get released and the jokes on all of you (and me).

P freakin S. I think PREY is looking awesome and will buy it no matter what the "critics" say.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 16:16.

28. Re: Forever and ever amen. Mar 21, 2006, 16:11 MyRealName

Hasn't there been 3 Elder Scrolls games release within the time that 3DR has been working on DNF?

Three Gothic games, too.

OMFG... that really puts it into perspective, doesn't it? They couldn't get a shooter finished and out in the time 6 epics have been/are being finished. Maybe it's all a joke at the game community's expense - and in the end they'll say, "Duh, we called it 'Forever' for a reason, and you guys STILL didn't get it!"

Fun reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

27. Re: Forever and ever amen. Mar 21, 2006, 15:16 Masa

What?! Do you think they want to give up going to strip clubs for "research purposes"? Do you know how difficult it is to convince the taxmen that all that money spent going to said strip clubs was for business purposes?

Oh now, I didn't say a damn thing about releasing the actual product! I was just hoping maybe they'd let us see something new to let us all know DNF isn't an illusion.

26. Re: 3D Realms Game Plans Mar 21, 2006, 15:06 banddirector

"as soon as Duke is done"...fucking priceless.

Quote of the day!

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

25. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 14:56 John

Hasn't there been 3 Elder Scrolls games release within the time that 3DR has been working on DNF? lol

Three Gothic games, too.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N One of these day's I'm going to start a new character...

This space is available for rent

24. No subject Mar 21, 2006, 14:28 Steele Johnson

Hasn't there been 3 Elder Scrolls games release within the time that 3DR has been working on DNF? lol

23. Re: Forever and ever amen. Mar 21, 2006, 13:18 MMORPGHoD

Thanks. Good catch.

22. Re: Forever and ever amen. Mar 21, 2006, 12:59 JM

You see, they know how to hold on to DNF, they just don't know how to "release" DNF. And that's really the most important part of the game: the release. Anybody can just hold them.

Nice Seinfeld reference.

21. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 12:50 The Half Elf

'Is there anything longer then infinity?' -Ed Mcmahn
'Yes, Infinity plus shipping and handling' - Johnny Carson

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo