Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Sims 2: Family Fun Stuff Announced

EA announces details for The Sims 2: Family Fun Stuff Pack (thanks Frans), it seems this is not a full expansion, but a "Stuff Pack" of fun stuff (and what's more fun than a desk lamp?), due in April. There are screenshots and a pair of videos showing off the project. Here's the deal, including an asterisk that does not seem to have a corresponding footnote:

Add excitement to your Sims' family with this all-new collection* of furniture, clothing, and décor. Decorate the home with an assortment of cool new furnishings, including upscale living room items and adventurous bedroom sets. Dress your Sims in matching attire for an amusing day out with the family. With 60 new items from castle beds to cruise ship replicas, your Sims now has have more stuff for more family fun.

• New Décor! — Indulge your Sims' imaginations with fantasy-themed furniture, a complete underwater kids' bedroom set, or nautical-themed living room furniture.

• New Styles! — Hang loose in Hawaiian style clothing or bring out the kids' adventurous side with exciting costumes.

• New Stuff! — 60 all new items for your Sims to join in on all the family fun! Below are 3 examples of the new items:

Toyboxtopus
This trunk has eight arms that can hold a bounty of toy treasures for your young mermaid or pirate Sims.

Dragon Costume
Breathe new life into playtime, birthdays, or costume parties with outrageous outfits.

Dreams Alight
Uncover the darkest mysteries of the night, or just find your way to the bathroom with this new desk lamp

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 22:18 Bhruic

Nothing is "market driven" anymore and hasn't been for decades.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the term, but I'd say it still is.

I wish people could hear what goes on in boardrooms and at stockholder meetings, "the customer" is viewed as a gullible fool who exists to be ripped off, a sheep to be sheared.

Foolish 'sheep' customers are still the market. Just because the market is stupid doesn't mean that the market isn't expressing their will. Unless the people from the boardrooms/stockholder meetings are going around and pointing guns at people's heads to make them buy their products, I'm not sure you have much of a case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 21:30 FourPak

But then you don't buy them. ... The market will decide
No sir. This argument is completely invalid in today's corporate world.
Nothing is "market driven" anymore and hasn't been for decades.

I wish people could hear what goes on in boardrooms and at stockholder meetings, "the customer" is viewed as a gullible fool who exists to be ripped off, a sheep to be sheared.

15. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 19:12 Bhruic

I suppose you have a valid point. To be honest, I wasn't really refering to this particular 'expansion', as you're right, it's pretty much just extra content. Charging for it seems a little excessive. The previous expansions, and any further 'full' expansions, however, don't strike me as problems, simply because they are full expansions. That's the sort of thing I think should be paid for.

This, on the other hand, I'm probably closer to your viewpoint on. Although I probably won't do any railing against it myself.

14. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 18:52 aldo_14

But then you don't buy them. At which point the company realizes it's not going to make money on the 'bonus packs', and either does them for free (and, really, any company that is putting out free bonus packs deserves support at this point), or they don't (and if they needed to charge for them, they likely wouldn't have done them for free anyway).

I might not buy them, but what about all the people who don't realise they're being ripped off and taken advantage of? If they're only first time buyers or whatever, they might not even be aware of how the situation has changed and what they've lost. It might seem pointless to rail against something you don't buy, but part of the whole strategy EA and co take is to alter the market to be more amenable to the £10 price rises, the proportionally expensive 'bonus' packs, etc. So why not object?

It's a marketing issue. Sure, I'd like to get bonus packs for free. But I'd like to get the full game for free. I'd like a free car, house, girl friend, etc. Free is good. But if a company is putting work into something, it's not necessarily a bad thing that they want to get paid for it. The market will decide if enough people think it's of value.

What, like patches to games that were released without enough QA?

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

13. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 18:09 Bhruic

But then you don't buy them. At which point the company realizes it's not going to make money on the 'bonus packs', and either does them for free (and, really, any company that is putting out free bonus packs deserves support at this point), or they don't (and if they needed to charge for them, they likely wouldn't have done them for free anyway).

It's a marketing issue. Sure, I'd like to get bonus packs for free. But I'd like to get the full game for free. I'd like a free car, house, girl friend, etc. Free is good. But if a company is putting work into something, it's not necessarily a bad thing that they want to get paid for it. The market will decide if enough people think it's of value.

12. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 18:03 aldo_14

I really don't understand why people complain about all the expansions. The only reason they make the expansions to begin with is - surprise - the fact people want to buy them. As long as there is market demand, which there patently is, I don't see anything wrong with them cranking them out.

Not that I have any intention of getting them, personally, but there are plenty of games/expansions for which that is true.

It sets a bad precedent, though. I mean, people may be dumb enough to buy overpriced tat like this, which is cynically aimed at milking money from loyal/blind fans. So, fair enough, there's a demand. But the problem is, I think, that we see this type of thing spill over to other areas, other games (take BF2), and then everyone suffers as what would previously be free content become 'bonus packs' at reduced yet disproportionate prices. And then we find ourselves with the previous status quo of this level of stuff being free, being replaced with paid equivalents. And surely no-one likes seeing a free thing turn into a charge-for?

11. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 17:26 Bhruic

I really don't understand why people complain about all the expansions. The only reason they make the expansions to begin with is - surprise - the fact people want to buy them. As long as there is market demand, which there patently is, I don't see anything wrong with them cranking them out.

Not that I have any intention of getting them, personally, but there are plenty of games/expansions for which that is true.

10. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 16:58 WiillyWonka

God these guys are total whores.

I resent that statement. Don't bring ea up to the level of whores.

9. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 16:24 Yosemite Sam

What is this like the 30th expansion pack for this game, seems that every week there is an expansion pack for the sims2. New slogan for EA "cha-ching" God these guys are total whores.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

8. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 15:38 Ihya

Is this the desk lamp that makes the game fun though?

7. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 15:00 DrEvil

This is code for Sims 2 : Incest

6. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 14:18 CptStern

this should be titled Sims2: Useless Junk I wouldnt Buy in Real Life™

5. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 13:40 Chris

I'm not sure a Sims expansion themed on incest is appropriate.

4. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2006, 13:39 Jow

Family Fun Stuff. I wonder if there'll be a "Coffee House" variant in THIS one.

*smirk*

3. No subject Mar 17, 2006, 13:04 Pete

Back in the day stuff like this was free.  
Doin' it Big

2. No subject Mar 17, 2006, 12:06 Inexorable

Will Wright is probably too busy with Spore to care about what's happening to the Sims.

1. No subject Mar 17, 2006, 11:21 aldo_14

Will Wrights udders must be getting raw by now.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo