Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I figured out what was wrong with my mail last night and everything is working now... There seems to be an odd gap in my inbox from the middle of the night, though, so either some messages got delayed or bounced along the way.

Mail Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Deal or No Deal.
Link: Vincent Gallo Merchandise. Thanks WarPig.
Story: Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'. So long, childrens.
Science!: Nanotech helps blind hamsters see.
Reactions: Applying Math and Counting the Cups (registration required).
Building Better Bones With Ice.
Media: Best home made lighsaber dual ever.
Full Contact Cheerleading.
1964 Rolling Stones Rice Krispy Commercial.
Follow-up: Alabama Cow Tests Positive for Mad Cow.

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

100. Re: you shall know the truth Mar 15, 2006, 02:40 FourPak

God saved us all by the offering up of his only son.
not being a jerk here (for a change! )
How do you KNOW this is The Truth,
and not just your willingness to believe it is?
How do you Know?

Ultimately, after a lifetime of serious theological study and prayer and debate the inevitable definition of Faith becomes:
"I believe, because I choose to believe."

One can convince oneself that some evidence or other is compelling enough to say ok, this is enough evidence for me, i'll believe this.

Yet how does one actually Know that what they
have chosen to believe is in fact THE Truth?

Or maybe there's Many truths? How do you know?
Or maybe there's NO truth and it's ALL just made up?
Or maybe it doesn't matter? How do you know?

If there IS One Truth you'd think there'd have to be
some method to determine which one is true.
But what is it? And how do you know that method is the right one??

This becomes all the more confusing when one seriously studies the life and teachings of Siddhartha Gautama/Buddha (not the mumbo jumbo nonsense that's evolved over the centuries), whose teachings, to devout and scholarly Disciples, are at Least as profound, holy, personally convicting, life changing, and offer a similar ultimate reward as those of Jesus.

It all seems to come down to a cosmic crapshoot.
Pick one unprovable belief or another and Hope you're right.

An untestable hypothesis.
Not necessarily. I constantly test my faith based upon the experiences I go through and the things I witness.
again not being a jackass, but do you really?
OR do you really only test them within the context of your cultural upbringing and experience? this is where i always hit a brick wall, how can one truly Know that they're not unintentionally deluding themselves?

the best (and also most specious) answer i've heard is:
"I Know that I Know that I Know."
meaning that true faith is somehow "self-evident",
you can't Prove the truth but you can Know the truth,
and that true seekers will eventually find it,
seek and you'll find, ask and it shall be given, knock and the door'll be opened.

and yet EVERY religion claims this in some form of "enlightenment" or "awakening" or "born again" experience or epiphany. Every religion that believes there is only one path believes that Theirs is the one true path, and has a few thousand years worth of doctrine and experience and miracles to "prove" it.

arg.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: Southpark Mar 15, 2006, 01:29 FourPak

Faith is just putting a hypothesis out there...
An untestable hypothesis.
heh, i like this one -
"Faith is Believing something you Know isn't true."

98. Re: Southpark Mar 15, 2006, 01:15 FourPak

God has no choice but to condemn everybody to hell, newborn babies
You realize that not all Christian sects believe this, right?
uh-oh, enter... The Purgatory and Limbo Mythos.
arg.
all too confusing, but most vexing of all -
there is NO WAY to actually =determine= which way is 'right'!

Every single belief system ultimately comes down to Faith!

97. Re: Southpark Mar 15, 2006, 01:02 FourPak

Scientology - if you want to know what Scientology is about, forget the books and casual literature, rather, cultivate a relationship with a hard core member.

a few years ago I got to know a couple guys who were living in the same apartment complex. after several months they started bringing over the weirdest magazines and training material i've ever seen - testimonies from people:
- who could telepathically communicate with their cat
- who could change traffic lights from red to green with their minds while they were driving
- teachings about how robots ruled the earth 10 million years ago
- and on and on

reminded me of the extreme Charismatic Christian churches and their signs and wonders miracles hooey.

96. Re: MEATFORCE!! Mar 15, 2006, 00:49 Cynips

MEATFORCE!
Nah, sounds too much like STARFORCE to me.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

95. MEATFORCE!! Mar 15, 2006, 00:47 WarPig

Yo Meat, at first I wasn't too sure about it, but the new nick is starting to grow on me. You could be an anti-vegan comando with a Saturday morning cartoon, a series of action toys, and a catchy theme song.

MEATFORCE!
Comin' to your towwwwwwn.
MEATFORCE!
Beatin' evil dowwwwwn.
Eat some meat,
buy our stuff,
if you don't you can't be tough...
like MEATFORCE!!!!

(a Ranchers of Canada Production)

-------------------------------------------------------
Bleh
This comment was edited on Mar 15, 00:48.

GO SEAHAWKS!

94. Re: Best lightsaber dual ever Mar 15, 2006, 00:44 FourPak

george lucas never choreographed anything this good.
wow yeah very professional, and don't forget the Cinematography - the Camera angles and cuts and zooms and stuff, also very pro.

93. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 23:27 MeatForce

I hate you guys more then I hate non-chunky salsa, so I think in the play or movie the non-chunky salsa will be played by Ben Afleck.

Damn, man.. that's cold.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

92. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 23:03 Dan =0)

Just another viewpoint.. A lot of the heaven and hell stuff is really lost in translation from the ancient writings to modern english..

Playing telephone through text through time... joy!

Dan =0)

You can help me save the Earth from a terrible experience... yes, the whole Earth.
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://blog.myspace.com/dankupkamusic

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

91. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 22:53 MindStalkerReturned

Just another viewpoint.. A lot of the heaven and hell stuff is really lost in translation from the ancient writings to modern english.. But if one really studies the ancient text its pretty obvious that hell is more of a state of mind and not an actual place (note my father has done a lot of translation work, I just know what he has shown me so don't quiz me please). Take this for example. The burning bush, God is fire, and he tells (I believe its Abraham) to not look upon the bush as it will kill him. Frequently God refers to his mear presence as an all consuming fire. God is also references himself as a cleaning fire for gold and diamonds

and whatnot. So consider a person whos totally consumed with theirselves in the presence of God who destroys that flesh (flesh being the human part of you). Such will be painful and ultimatly destroy all that is you. While for someone who is of the opposite mindset, such would be a cleasing experience. God also makes mention of a special place put aside for really special people, but this doesn't nessesarily void the idea that heaven and hell are the same, then I guess there is heaven plus for the really good guys
Apparently though the dead sea scrolls do make some direct mentions of hell but are generally thought to have been made after the classic Hebrew Old Testament and arn't nessesarily within the believe realm of the Jews and the Christians that followed..

90. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 22:47 Jeraxle

But since I do not know how I will defeat you guys with the flying giant toast machine thingy I will actually fail. God…..I……Hate……You……Guys….With……Every…..Fiber…..In……My……Body.

Is it too late to ask for my 3 minutes back?

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

89. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 22:11 Zathrus

God…..I……Hate……You……Guys….With……Every…..Fiber…..In……My……Body.

ROFL. We love you Enahs.

No, not that way. That's a special love between you and Halsy.

88. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 21:25 Bunko

I do know that I have this need/calling/inner voice telling me that there is more out there than I can logically explain away through science.
Or, as Daniel C. Dennett posits, it's a natural phenomenon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067003472X/sr=8-1/102-2340189-7939327?%5Fencoding=UTF8). There are others too; I believe I read an article in the Atlantic Monthly back a few months ago about the God gene or something like that.
Yes, it's the unconcious mind trying to sublimate the irrational fear of your own mortality and place in the universe.
Engaging in some form of psychotherapy can help you deal with the irrationality and free you from the need of a universal parent archetype.
Unconscious mind? Universal parent archetype? Sounds like Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung to me. So much for your steadfast subscription to empirical science.
But wait.
There is nothing in the universe that cannot be explained with science. If there's something we don't understand yet it's only a matter of time before we do.
That sounds like bonafide scientism to me. You're at least as zealous as the average Christian. Check yourself, Halsy. I think you have a contradiction somewhere.

Take offense folks. Just stirring the pot.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 22:29.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

87. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 21:07 Enahs

The term you're trying to use is "by and large" and it should be "more stupid" rather than "stupider". Don't you hate me even more now?

Also, I think he meant to say "less and less educated", rather than "more and more uneducated"

I am at least smart enough to admit I was wrong. You bastards.

.. but then Enahs hates us all more than words can possibly describe, so I'm not sure he'll care

You are correct. God I hate you guys. Or if you prefer:
Science, I hate you guys.

I could fill all the libraries in the world with how much I truly and sincerely hate you guys and it would still not be enough to honestly portray how much I hate you guys.
I could write a play, or even a movie script.

I would be played by the most handsome man in the world (me of course) and all of you would be played by non-chunky salsa. Only chunky salsa is the good salsa, god I hate non-chunky salsa. I hate you guys more then I hate non-chunky salsa, so I think in the play or movie the non-chunky salsa will be played by Ben Afleck.

In the movie/play I will be trying to live my life and you guys (played by non-chunky salsa played by Ben Afleck) will contumely annoy me and ruin my life. We will have a big court battle involving restraining orders where I will be represented by Samuel Jackson and you guys will be represented by Leonardo DeCrap-eo. It will be very dramatic. I and Samuel Jackson will win, but you guys will ignore the restraining order.

I will then invent a time machine and go back in time to escape you guys. You will follow. I will befriend a group of Vikings. We will wage a war on you guys that will last for generations. My decedents will hate you guys as much as I hate you now, the battle will rage for centuries until finally one day I will become a descendent of my self and the vicious cycle will start over.

You guys, whom I hate so, have me locked in hating you guys forever and ever in a continuing cycle. God I hate you guys, so very very much.

The play or movie will make millions. Matt Damon, George Clooney and one of the annoying Baldwin Brothers will begin to protest how you guys treat me. It will become the biggest news story of the year. The president will be assassinated but it will only get mentioned on the little scrolling bars at the bottom, as everyone is so enthralled in my story of how much I hate you guys. The entire world will turn against you, but some how you guys continue to annoy me….god I hate you guys.

The world governments will be very close to uniting with me in how much I hate you guys but they will need another immense outpour of support for me. So I will make a sequel to my movie.

Spare no expense, the budget and special effects will be HUGE! At least 1 billion dollars will be spent. The premier will be held on the moon with Santa Clause (cause he really hates you guys too, not as much as I hate you guys though).

The plot of the second movie will be me trying to turn a giant piece of toast into a flying carpet type contraption. Some how this will defeat you guys.

But since I do not know how I will defeat you guys with the flying giant toast machine thingy I will actually fail. God…..I……Hate……You……Guys….With……Every…..Fiber…..In……My……Body.

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 21:10.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

86. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 20:35 MeatForce

The term you're trying to use is "by and large" and it should be "more stupid" rather than "stupider". Don't you hate me even more now?

Also, I think he meant to say "less and less educated", rather than "more and more uneducated"

.. but then Enahs hates us all more than words can possibly describe, so I'm not sure he'll care

-----

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

85. Re: A cheesy question Mar 14, 2006, 20:32 MeatForce

a can of squirty cheese

MMmmmmmmmm.. Excrete-a-Snack *drool*

-----

-----

84. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 20:27 Heather

Wow, Halsy. You make some big assumptions.  
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

83. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 20:18 Dan =0)

Speaking of KVMs, I picked one up at Best Buy for $68 the other day. Should've done a review (how stupid of me!) before buying - it doesn't work with NForce motherboards properly. Of course, I have an NForce motherboard.

Now I have two options: try to return the thing (I've already returned a router I'd purchased to replace my old presumably missing one, after finding that!), or get a USB-port PCI card... problem being that the reviews I see of the more discerning purchasers of that particular KVM tell me that this wasn't a good model to begin with - fuzzy text, bad audio output...

It's a MiniView Micro USB Plus by IOGear, if anyone's interested.... my "stupid" moment. Think I'll go pray to some diety to influence BB to return yet another item and give me cash...

Dan =0)

You can help me save the Earth from a terrible experience... yes, the whole Earth.
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://blog.myspace.com/dankupkamusic

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

82. Re: Southpark Mar 14, 2006, 20:09 Cynips

Since you're serving it to me on a plate I simply can't resist
By in large it seems people are getting stupider.
Actually, you proved your own point quite eloquently there. The term you're trying to use is "by and large" and it should be "more stupid" rather than "stupider". Don't you hate me even more now?

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

81. alright.... Mar 14, 2006, 19:59 xXBatmanXx

Got all setup at the new job, and have access to Blues once again! woohoo. Super busy though, so I don't know how I will be around. Lots of postings lately.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo