Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No StarForce in NA SpellForce 2

In response to some negative reactions to the inclusion of StarForce copy protection in the recent SpellForce 2 demo (story), Aspyr sends along a clarification that although the demo features StarForce, the North American release of the game will incorporate some other form of copy-protection:

Aspyr Media is responsible for publishing the North American release of Spellforce 2. We wanted everyone to know that Starforce will *not* be included in the retail release of this game. Starforce is being used in the demo in cooperation with the European publishers of the title, JoWood Productions. This is to help prevent reverse engineering that could lead to our product being put up on illegal software networks. We apologize for any inconveniences Starforce may have caused and would again like to reassure everyone that we have chosen alternative copy protection software for our final release product. Thank you for your interest in Spellforce 2!

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2006, 01:46 Parallax Abstraction

Hey, I heard Blue is redesigning the site, and I've leaked a copy of the new logo:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5616/sfnews3vo.png

Too awesome.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2006, 00:57 MyRealName

Hey, I heard Blue is redesigning the site, and I've leaked a copy of the new logo:

ROFL! *wiping tears*

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

72. No subject Mar 14, 2006, 00:47 Dev

Good point, I even bought gal civ 2. That game OWNZ

71. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 23:58 Prez

There be no need for copy protection if people didn't copy software.

And yet with NO copy protection at all, GalCiv 2 is selling like hotcakes. Hmmm...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 22:22 Howin

There be no need for copy protection if people didn't copy software.

The only people to blame here are the warez monkeys.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 22:23.

69. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 22:11 Dev

No, the prize started out as a measly $2,000 or some such crap. And thats only AFTER you fly over to moscow and demonstrate it under some weird azz rules. So in otherwords, you are out the plane fare if they decide you didn't meet the rules.

It eventually went up I think to $3,000 or some such, but it still wasn't anything to speak of.

68. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 22:06 nin

No fucking shit...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

67. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 21:51 FourPak

They offered a prize to anyone who could reproduce these alleged problems
what was the prize?
a lengthy tour of their dev facility in the Gulag Archipelago?
Or some guy named Sergei doing his impression of Tony Soprano on your head?

66. Re: HAHA Mar 13, 2006, 21:36 BurntSoul

hehehe good one!

65. Re: HAHA Mar 13, 2006, 21:35 FourPak

Democracy and Capitalism working together for the right reasons (for once)!
ACK! *gagchoke*
Clearly this action is the result of Solidarity Among The Workers!

64. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 21:07 sponge

63. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:47 Yosemite Sam

Well I will take back my comment, it was valid until ...
It seems that starforce upped the anty to $10,000 and all expenses paid (that is a legit offer) seems it was done pretty quietly becuase I never heard about it, and blue is usually ontop of these things

EDIT decided to translate the russian version of starforce web site, seems that the russians were only offered $3000, pretty fishy if you ask me. If they were so confident that their product could never break an optical drive why pay less to russians, thes ones who could, as spume said easily go for the cash. Smells like a you win heres your cash just sign this NDA.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 21:29.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

62. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:44 MeatForce

You're telling me that with the ORGANISED resistance to Star Force that's being orchestrated these millions of dedicated gamers couldn't stump together enough to pay fare to Russia? Or they couldn't piggyback off someone who was going there anyway? Out of all those Starforce protesters none had plans to visit the place? Ummm, here's a thought - what about the Russian people who don't like Starforce, couldn't they have popped into the office?

No.

He's telling you that with the absurdity of hoops one (even one hailing from Russia) was required to jump through in order to participate, the "contest" was a total crock-of-shit, and an obvious waste of every living human-being's time.

It definitely seemed to have the desired effect on your perception of SF though..

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

61. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:38 Dev

OMG Awesome Spume!
Organized resistance? Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Don't tell me you buy into starforces statements on thier webpage that anyone who says something bad about starforce is part of an international warez group?

I dont know about anyone else who posts about starforce, what the motivations are. Personally for me myself, I post my opinion and personal experiance with it. I haven't even signed the petition thats out there (because I'm lazy).
I think that anyone who is getting a game with starforce should at least KNOW about it.
And in fact the starforce ppl AGREE with me on that point. They've announced that starforce 4 will default to popping up a notification that starforce will be installed. I imagine thats because ppl have complained about it being installed silently without notification.

60. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:34 Prez

the Starforce drivers, installed on your system, grant ring 0 (system level) privileges to any code under the ring 3 (user level) privileges.

Ooooh... scary! But hey, guess what? So do most drivers. Your video drivers do that -- in fact, there's a specific hole in the XP protection layer to let them.

No kidding? I didn't know that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:32 Prez

Hah. I remember some people just last night saying in another thread that constantly bitching about Starforce (god-awful studid name) yields nothing of value. It seems that SOMEONE is paying attention...

- Mahatma Gandhi

58. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 19:21 DedEye

I don't care for copy protection, and crack most of my legitimately purchased games so I don't have to swap discs.

Now I don't like Starfuck, but I also bought Silent Hunter 3 when it came out (and would have regardless of copyprot scheme) and haven't had any issues with it. In fact, go over to subsim.com forums and you'll find very few peeps had trouble, and the ones that did I've read some very positive remarks with respect to Starfuck's tech support. No way I'll stop playing SH3 because of Starfuck, although admittedly I do have my taxes and so on on another rig

Now I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but someone has to do it. So long as devs and pubs see piracy as an issue, this problem will come back, maybe not as Starfuck, but something similar. If you think this is over, well there's a Supertramp tune for ya called "Dreamer", have a listen

57. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 18:40 Awesome Spume

I refer you to my previous post. Why can't someone from Moscow go to their office and demostrate the problem? Sounds like easy money to me.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gp32x.com/

56. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 18:37 Yosemite Sam

They offered a prize to anyone who could reproduce these alleged problems with the new version and noone took them up on it.

Heh, now lets take that staement and the one about starforce being a russian mafia orgaization and let the imagination run ... hundreds of people went to russia with proof and were never seen agian. "You have problem with starforce? You come to russia and we fix you good, ah I mean give you reward, yes, good you come to russia NOW!"

Seriously though that is a BS offer, so lame to be sure that absolutely nobody would possily take it up. Thr reward was total peanuts, cost you five times that just to take up the offer and all for a $50 game or CD drive, ya right that was a real genuine offer. Total shit just so they can say, see nobody came forward. You would have to be a complete idiot to belive that offer was genuine and not see it for what it is, a cheap ploy.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

55. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 18:21 Awesome Spume

Oh come on... the "offer" they made was complete crap -- you have to go to Russia and it's up to them as to whether or not they'll pay for your ticket -- and no paying for any other expenses incurred. I can't imagine why nobody took them up on it.

You're telling me that with the ORGANISED resistance to Star Force that's being orchestrated these millions of dedicated gamers couldn't stump together enough to pay fare to Russia? Or they couldn't piggyback off someone who was going there anyway? Out of all those Starforce protesters none had plans to visit the place? Ummm, here's a thought - what about the Russian people who don't like Starforce, couldn't they have popped into the office? Sheesh.

EDIT: for coherence. Sheesh I gotta learn to type without looking at the keys.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gp32x.com/

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 18:22.

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo