Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare's Austin Offices, MMORPG Plans

BioWare Corp. Announces New "BioWare Austin" Studio (thanks SyncGaming) has news that BioWare is opening a new development studio in Austin, Texas, also revealing their plans to enter the massively multiplayer game market:

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 13, 2006--Canadian videogame developer BioWare Corp. has announced the opening of a new studio, BioWare Austin, based in Austin, Texas. It is the second of BioWare's studios and the first to be located outside of Canada.

BioWare Austin has already begun work on a Massively Multiplayer Online roleplaying game (MMORPG) title; the new game will mark BioWare's debut in the Massively Multiplayer Online space. BioWare has recruited some of the top talent in MMO and RPG development, both to manage the development efforts at BioWare Austin and to collaborate with the experienced team at BioWare Edmonton, to develop a game that combines the best of BioWare's great past games with a compelling persistent online experience. Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star WarsŪ: Knights of the Old Republic(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Baldur's Gate(TM) and Baldur's Gate II(TM). Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online(TM) as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 12:39 xmb1121

::On the other hand, you have the odd company in Wisconsin (Raven), or Albany (Vicarious Visions), or Raleigh (Epic). These places may offer a cheaper cost of living, but what if you decide to settle down there, buy a house, and find out a year or two later that it just isn't the company for you, or the company for whatever reason goes out of business or is relocated? You have no where else to work in a 100-mile radius.::

i assure you raleigh and north carolina have quite a few things that suck about them. the first two that pop into my head is how all the landlord/tennant laws favor the landlord and the second is that in my year and a half living in raleigh, i only saw one redlight that wasn't timed in the whole state. that means at 4am when no one is around, you will be sitting for two minutes waiting for the signal to cycle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 09:32 nin

2015 is in Oklahoma, of all god-forsaken places to be.

Thanks, Fart.

edit: Creston, are you gonna let him talk that shit?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 09:33.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

55. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 07:54 Fartacus

Somehow I find it difficult to believe that people will just up and move to Nowheresville Kansas to work at a game developer, knowing that they will just have to move back to civilization after the studio inevitably goes under due to the impending collapse of the PC gaming industry

2015 tried that already. They packed up and moved to L.A. and called themselves Infinity Ward (a few stragglers stayed behind). 2015 is in Oklahoma, of all god-forsaken places to be.

54. Re: Texas Mar 14, 2006, 07:50 Fartacus

Little known fact: California is filled with hicks too. But they tend not to live in the high profile coastal areas.

53. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 06:23 Ecthelion

if we spread it out, people in the middle of the country would be exposed to people of varying lifestyles and learn that outside of whatever goes on in their bedroom, the couple of bob and tim are just like everyone else, just with nicer shoes.

That may be the best simplification of the gay rights issue that I've ever heard, especially the shoes part.

52. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 03:09 Grizz

I am a six-year veteran of the industry and work in Southern California. In that time I've watched the cost of living outpace what game developers pay here. I echo the sentiments posted here of why don't more game developers start up studios in cheaper areas. Aside from Texas, what are the centers of game developers?

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Arizona

What do all these areas have in common? They are all great places to live (with the possible exception of AZ...too hot for me). What else do they all have in common? They are terrible places to try to make a comfortable living (unless you are happy renting for the rest of your life).

I am sick of scraping by here in SoCal (and yes, even though I have years of experience, I am still scraping by with the costs here), but at the same time I want to be able to settle down somewhere. It's hard to try to settle down in this industry because it is still so volatile. How many game developers honestly think they will be at the same job in five years? How about ten?

On the other hand, you have the odd company in Wisconsin (Raven), or Albany (Vicarious Visions), or Raleigh (Epic). These places may offer a cheaper cost of living, but what if you decide to settle down there, buy a house, and find out a year or two later that it just isn't the company for you, or the company for whatever reason goes out of business or is relocated? You have no where else to work in a 100-mile radius. Guess it's back to the moving truck!

Sometimes I really regret choosing this industry due to its lack of flexibility of relocation options (not to mention the long hours, limited track for advancement, questionable work practices and underhanded business tactics).

We either need more studios in more varied locations, or we need to be paid salaries that match the insane increase of cost of living of the areas these studios choose to settle in.

51. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 01:16 Halsy

Liberal ethos? You mean like being able to use rudimentary grammar correctly? The conservative ethos is that ignorance is bliss.

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

50. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 00:00 xmb1121

i argued in a forum a few weeks ago that the concentration of liberal ethos on the coasts is exactly why the country is in the shape it is. people aren't exposed to new ideas in the poorer states and are much more inclined to believe that the coasts are filled with heathens because that's what preacher said last sunday...all the sin and temptation lurking in the shadows, you know.

if we spread it out, people in the middle of the country would be exposed to people of varying lifestyles and learn that outside of whatever goes on in their bedroom, the couple of bob and tim are just like everyone else, just with nicer shoes.

49. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 13, 2006, 22:20 FourPak

yeah, I don't get why all the game companies are here in Cali. What are they doing here?
part is due to history - silicon valley is where the whole personal computer thing started so students grew up coding little games on their 8-bit Apple I's and Commodore Pet's and the evolution continued.

The other reason is the liberal university-centric youth-culture worldview and lifestyle, being free to explore and express new ideas that are too "radical" for conservative traditional middle america.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 22:23.

48. Re: Texas Mar 13, 2006, 22:02 Masa

The cost of living in AZ kind of sucks too. For what Arizona (specifically Tucson, where I am) pays, the COL is way way too high.

Oh yeah. I grew up in Phoenix. Back when my neighborhood was still a suburb, the cost of living was pretty high. Although I'd rather live in Cali or Arizona again, the cost of living in Indiana is a fraction of the southwest. And it's not just equivalent gross income either, I've been afforded more opportunities, economically, by going to school here in Bloomington than I would have had I attended UoA, NAU, or ASU.

Cali is expensive to live in, regardless your occupation.

But my point is, they're both hick states/provinces.

Any country you go to will have that kind of population in some form, somewhere. I don't think you'll find any bigger collection of 2nd Amendment NRA evangelists anywhere else in the US however.

I'm not meaning that as an insult either. Outside of the government, I never saw as big a collection of legally bought/licensed firearms in civilian hands as some of those country boys.

47. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 13, 2006, 21:27 dubfanatic

Sometimes I think that all game companies in America neeed to move to the cheapest state in the country. Or, leave the country entirely and setup in a poor nation somewhere.

Well, the cheapest states are places like Wyoming, the Dakotas, Kansas, etc. I imagine one would have a very difficult time finding qualified locals to staff your new game studio in bustling Cheyenne, so you'd naturally have to recruit from places where game developers already live/work (eg. SF, Seattle, Austin) as well as large universities with a reputation for producing talented game developers or artists. Somehow I find it difficult to believe that people will just up and move to Nowheresville Kansas to work at a game developer, knowing that they will just have to move back to civilization after the studio inevitably goes under due to the impending collapse of the PC gaming industry. Also, almost all of the cheapest states are hardcore Republican, and I doubt the locals will be very forthcoming to an influx of educated city-folk.

It's a great strategy but it only works when you are able to hire people from the area to do the job. That's why they put so many call centers in places like Medford, OR... cheap land and cheap labor readily available.

Outsourcing is old news. A lot of games have come out of Russia and Eastern Europe and made it to the Western market with varying degrees of success.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 21:28.

46. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 21:25 Hanover

Any place that erects a statue honoring Stevie Ray Vaughan is ok in my book.

EDIT: linky linky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 21:27.

45. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 13, 2006, 20:50 Charlie_Six

yeah, I don't get why all the game companies are here in Cali. What are they doing here?

Game devs seem to all share same problems:
-working 80-100 hour weeks, which means they don't get to go outside and enjoy the Cali weather
-struggling with keeping the company affloat in the cutthroat game industry, which makes it hard to pay the bills in the extremely high Cost of Living California environment..

And it's not like they need to be geographically located near anything, right? I mean, they development games entirely within their offices. And if they do need outside help, such things can be transferred over the internet.

Sometimes I think that all game companies in America neeed to move to the cheapest state in the country. Or, leave the country entirely and setup in a poor nation somewhere.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

44. Texas Mar 13, 2006, 20:15 dubfanatic

Texas is the American Alberta. Or was it the other way around... I don't remember. But my point is, they're both hick states/provinces.

43. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 13, 2006, 18:43 Cutedge

I'm making 60% more than my Arizona offer, it was actually the better choice for me. I crunched the numbers, I knew where I'd come out on top.

The cost of living in AZ kind of sucks too. For what Arizona (specifically Tucson, where I am) pays, the COL is way way too high.

42. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 17:18 Koblizek

"which will definately be the killer MMO in the market"

yeah ok, whatever

like dungeons and dragons online was supposed to kill WoW and WoW was supposed to kill EQ1

Umm, WoW pretty much did kill EQ1 just in terms of subscriber comparison and DDO is frickin' Turbine. No offense, but after AC2 what did you really expect out of them?

41. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 17:17 Halsy

Bastards should have opened the studio in Canada.

Anyway, anyone actually know what this game is about?

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

40. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 16:52 MMORPGHoD

like dungeons and dragons online was supposed to kill WoW and WoW was supposed to kill EQ1

I'd say WoW did kill EQ1 in terms of subscribers, although I don't have any subscriber comparison graphs handy. It certainly killed EQ2, as they've had to merge servers already. Even in a "saturated" MMORPG market, a killer app can make out like a bandit. As for BioWare, they have a following that will make people take notice, but you can't get a ton of people to buy it just because of the maker or the name. The game still needs to be good (see DDO).

39. Oh yeah? Mar 13, 2006, 16:44 Pete

My city can beat up your city!  
Doin' it Big

38. Re: No subject Mar 13, 2006, 16:26 Grounded

"which will definately be the killer MMO in the market"

yeah ok, whatever

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo