Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Date Narrowed

Ubisoft sends along an announcement following-up on the recently adjusted release dates for Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (story). While the previous report placed the "quarter two" release of the PC edition of the game at Summer 2006, the new update clarifies this will be this May while announcing the 360 edition is gold. They also send along a Q&A with producer Mathieu Girard about the delay:

Why do you delay the game?
To achieve better quality and deliver all the features we wanted to have in the game. GRAW PC is a project developed specifically for this machine so its development cycle was different from that of the other platforms.

Can you remind us what the main differences between consoles and PC versions are?
We have a gameplay that is very different from the gameplay of the console version; for instance the ghosts are controlled in a way that is specific to the PC, with a much more accurate order system. This involves adapting all the game content (including reprogramming completely the enemy AI) and tuning it to this way of playing. We shared the storyline and setting of the XBox 360, but all the rest had to be reworked, to appeal to a GR1 audience while at the same time taking into account the new PC specific features. The other major differences are, of course, full first person control, and PC-specific multiplayer modes.

What are the ambitions of the PC version?
We had some very ambitous designs for the multiplayer, and we did not advertise on the exact content until we were sure to be able to deliver it. Things such as simulating a fully interactive physical environment over the network were risky, but we are now comforted that the cooperative mode will deliver unprecedented experience of multiplayer gameplay. The domination mode is also very promising as it changes the control of areas to something more interesting than simply capturing flags. More info to come soon.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2006, 07:17 Shadowcat

Yes, pre-ordering is madness in the majority of cases. And if the demo comes afterwards (as it really should do if it's a genuine demonstration) I have zero problems with waiting for it.

Actually, there was one dev company whose games I would have happily pre-ordered, but I worked near a game store at the time so I just popped in every lunch hour until the game had arrived

The only time I actually pre-ordered a game, I got burned. Set me straight in a hurry, that did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. No subject Mar 7, 2006, 08:13 Brainp0wa

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they can forget about me pre-ordering this one. Lemme see a review or two first. Now if they want to release the demo ahead of time...

21. Re: Oh, Come On... Mar 7, 2006, 04:57 Shadowcat

Oh, they definitely have their work cut out for them if they want to match the excellence of the original GR, but the statements above are encouraging.

The biggest problem with most of these PC-gone-console franchises is that they are just porting the console game to the PC. If PCGRAW is indeed designed for PC from the ground up, then who knows...

Sure, the game could end up bad, BUT if the PC version is indeed an entirely different game to the console version, then at least it has a chance!! Keep an open mind, and wait for the reviews or for a demo version.

20. Oh, Come On... Mar 7, 2006, 00:11 Paranoid Jack

Do any of you think they will actually pull this off.... and by "pull this off" I mean make a game even remotely as good as the original?

I'm just overly happy I didn't buy their last coaster, Lockdown. Baffling they would even fund such crappy game design. So there is no surprise my bet is that GR:AW is another loser from a franchise ruined.

Viva La Ubisoft... or some shit like that.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 00:13.

19. No subject Mar 6, 2006, 22:54 Shadowcat

Agreed. That was by far the most positive quote in the entire thing, and actually suggests that maybe they're doing this right, Kevlar you freaking moron.

18. Re: REWORKED?!?!? Mar 6, 2006, 22:25 Cabezone

You have the mind of an infant, who's mother smoked crack.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

17. REWORKED?!?!? Mar 6, 2006, 22:22 Kevlar

AM I READING THIS RIGHT????

We shared the storyline and setting of the XBox 360, but all the rest had to be reworked, to appeal to a GR1 audience while at the same time taking into account the new PC specific features. The other major differences are, of course, full first person control, and PC-specific multiplayer modes.

????!!!!!!!!!!

PC VERSION IS JUST A REWORKING OF THE CONSOLE? WOW THANKS UBISUCK!!!

16. Re: This could be good. Mar 6, 2006, 18:44 Mola_Ram

I hate lame code snippets. They aren't funny. Coding for a living makes them really, really not funny.

15. Re: This could be good. Mar 6, 2006, 18:39 MacD

"If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks"

AI has to cope with you having to aim with your joypad...it can't run around as much, and may have to move slightly slower to cope with you turning on a joypad. Good AI on a console !=good AI on a pc (or, to be slightly more precise:

/*1= good, 0 is bad*/
if ai.console = 1
ai.pc = 0;

/end bad code snippet).

14. Re: This could be good. Mar 6, 2006, 17:54 Marvin T. Martian

This as funny as Letdown having great AI and being a true tactical shooter. They got to get what's left of these franchises out of UBI's hands.

13. Re: This could be good. Mar 6, 2006, 16:11 Jedi Master

Completely reprogramming enemy AI?? If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. It's almost like they're admitting it sucked!

12. This could be good. Mar 6, 2006, 15:02 blood_rose

Considering how GR's sequels were totally ruined by console gaming, I'm kinda glad to hear this. We only hope they are not just paying lip service and the game ends up not being dumbed down for a console.

---
http://www.cynicsdaily.com - Another stupid blog complaining about everything.

11. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 14:02 nin

'Rainbow, Terrorists have taken hostages at the Circus Circus buffet counter and are eating all the jumbo shrimp!

HA! THOSE BASTARDS!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 13:12 Masa

'Rainbow, Terrorists have taken hostages at the Circus Circus buffet counter and are eating all the jumbo shrimp!

They'r actually going ahead with the "Vegas" plan? Jeez...

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 13:13.

9. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 13:09 The Half Elf

Yeah there is a pic on gameguru.com

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 13:01 nin

who has revealed Rainbow Six: Las Vegas for the Xbox 360.

Holy shit that's funny...I thought it was a joke at first, but Shack confirms it...

What are they gonna do? Storm the buffet line?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 12:48 The Half Elf

Actually the PC franchise for Rainbow Six has been utterly destroyed by Ubi Soft, who has revealed Rainbow Six: Las Vegas for the Xbox 360.
That being said my local Gamestop manager is a die hard tactical squad gamer and when I asked him about returning Lockdown within 24 hours he said he would be more then happy to return 'Defective Merchandise' as he put it

As for GR:AW, who the hell knows. Ubi is running for the lead of bullshit they spew out just behind Sony's Star Wars Galaxies Team.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 12:20 DanL

Knowing ubisoft, the PC version will probably be loaded with starforce. I guess I'll get the 360 version if in fact its any decent.

5. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 12:01 Igor

Umm, most consolites buy the GR franchise? What's wrong with you? The GR debuted on PC. The R6 debuted on PC. Their *true* fan following is all on PC.

Their "fan following" on the consoles are just console people who happened to accidentally to pick up a copy. You don't expect those people to know who *Tom Clancy* is, do you?

With that being said, I have high hopes for Warfighter, don't let me down Ubisoft!

4. No subject Mar 6, 2006, 11:27 Malakai

I reckon they puposely ruined the Rainbow 6 series because they can't be bothered with it, just so they could implement the features into GR.

It'd make sense. And tbh most console players who buy R6 do so because of the PC following, and most people who buy the GR franchise are consolites, and as such they want to swap it around.

Well maybe, but then again i could just be spouting shit again Dammit i swear Iskaral Pust rubs off some of that blathering style onto you even if you read a fraction of his speaches.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo