Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Digital Future

Downloads will replace traditional media within 10 years, says EA VP on GamesIndustry.biz is a Q&A with EA's European VP of sales, who feels that traditional retail sales of games will be just about finished within the next decade:

While Dr. Intat's comments are the clearest indication yet of EA's belief in a future where all videogame content is downloaded rather being sold in physical form, he was guarded in his response to a query about what this meant for traditional retailers.

"Firstly, traditional retailers are also entering the online space," he said. "The Wal-Marts of the world are competing with the Amazons of the world in traditional products - and they will do so in the online space."

"Secondly, there will always be - well, always is a little too far-reaching maybe, but for a very long time there will still be distribution of physical products. We should not underestimate the value of the reach that we do have today with our products - the impulse purchases that people are making, and that there are a huge amount of consumers out there who still want to buy physical products. The gift market also, the parents and grandmothers who still want to purchase presents for kids, and will still continue purchasing products in physical form," he concluded.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Landfills Mar 3, 2006, 23:18 Ray Marden

I am endlessly amazed at the countless places that do not recylce.

Modesto does recycle, but what does it recycle?

Lawn clippings and...and...and...that's all.

No bottles, no metals, no papers, no chipboard, no glass, etc.

Back in Santa Clara, I could recycle a good 75% of my stuff and even that last 25% was held back simply by the production process of many companies.

Blah blah blah...as for the news item, digital downloading is the future. I do think there are some things that should always have a physical copy (installing Windows on a computer with an inoperable NIC or without a recent service pack sould be t3h sU><) and things get ugly when companies start restricting the number of times you can download something, but downloading is otherwise for the win!

Having purchased the Swat 4 expansion pack today,
Ray But it is ALLLLLLLLLLL about Scratches!!!!11

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2006, 21:59 Awesome Spume

maybe they'll implement a system where people could sell their used games "virtually" yet they could get a piece of the action.

Don't see that happening...

It's the one thing about digital delivery that does annoy me a little. I borrow half the games I play but this is obviously going to be harder with digital delivery.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gp32x.com/

11. No subject Mar 3, 2006, 21:58 nightfend

I thought we were just going to have frackin' robots and jet cars!

10. No subject Mar 3, 2006, 17:24 Masa

The future is going to be bright, rosy red it seems. Cool to know.

9. No subject Mar 3, 2006, 13:54 ILL Robinson

In other news, the sky is blue, grass green and spring will promptly follow winter.

Stay tuned to anything that may cause to change this - or if someone clues in just in time to make it sound like they suddenly had a fabulous prediction.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 14:46.

8. Re: Wow! Mar 3, 2006, 13:34 Semantics

Imagine how much easier it would be to steal these (or copy the #s down) than a boxed game, unless locked up.

Certainly, but this is already a problem for phone cards and things like that, so I don't think it is insoluble. For instance, you can require that the number be activated at the register, and have some kind of scratch-off covering of the number.

7. No subject Mar 3, 2006, 13:13 DangerDog

Well, that's one way to kill off the market for used games, something that game companies wish they could do right now, maybe they'll implement a system where people could sell their used games "virtually" yet they could get a piece of the action.

6. Re: Landfills Mar 3, 2006, 12:48 Warhawk

Sick of seeing my garbage bag full of stuff (product packaging) destined for a landfill.

Uh, recycle? We recycle about 4 times as much stuff as we put in the garbage can, and this doesn't count "green" (yard) waste that is also processed separately/recycled.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

5. Re: Wow! Mar 3, 2006, 12:45 Warhawk

buy a coupon CD-key slip

Imagine how much easier it would be to steal these (or copy the #s down) than a boxed game, unless locked up.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

4. Landfills Mar 3, 2006, 12:41 Nibs

I wish this was the way it is today !

Sick of seeing my garbage bag full of stuff (product packaging) destined for a landfill.

3. Re: Wow! Mar 3, 2006, 12:29 Fantaz

Retailers are stubborn and still want to sell games, so probably in the future instead of buying a boxed title in the store you would buy a coupon CD-key slip that you would activate and download online. Also makes it much easier for kids without credit cards.

2. Re: Wow! Mar 3, 2006, 11:57 MindTrigger

Yeah, this guy is a real prophet. lol.

Dr. Intat = Captain Obvious

-----
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Did Doogie Howser just steal my f#cking car?"

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

1. Wow! Mar 3, 2006, 11:24 RaZ0r!

What a genius! I would have never saw that coming!

RaZ0r!
http://users.ign.com/about/Cutts
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 11:24.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo